Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Or maybe that's how Muslims historically dealt with brothers and uncles once they inherited.

Was it, though? I know a lot of that stuff went on the early Ottoman Empire, but was it really common in the entire Muslim world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Or maybe that's how Muslims historically dealt with brothers and uncles once they inherited.

It wasn't. Even the Ottoman system that this is based on did not work exactly like Decadence in CK II. Both the Iqta system used by Islamic states during the Medieval period and their methods of succession would be hard to accurately represent in CK II (just like a 'proper' Byzantine Empire that is less feudal than its CK II depiction), but the system used for Islamic succession in CK II is not accurate, it was only used by the Ottoman Turks, and only then outside of the scope of CK II

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

wait...that poo poo happened outside & before the Ottoman empire of the EU4 era? How loving ghastly.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Today I checked Steam and noticed that it had logged 1,735 hours for CK2. Maybe... maybe it's time for a different game. Yes.

Yes.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2013

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Corsica and Sardinia have fallen into the sea after a giant earthquake.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Where did Sardinia go? :iiam:

efb

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Corsica and Sardinia have fallen into the sea after a giant earthquake.
oh, motherfuck.

e:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2013

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Christ, I wasn't saying that the only way to deal with decadence was murdering your relatives, I just noted that it made that aspect of the game a non-issue. Keeping family members in council positions & observing Ramadan are generally enough to keep it below 35-40% for me.

Excelzior posted:

That's not "dealing with" Decadence, it's doing the exact opposite of the mechanic to the point where the game shits itself and gives up.

It's like saying the pre 2.0 100% Archbishop vassal realms "dealt with" the mechanic of vassal satisfaction.

I would call making the best of out what is a historically inaccurate gameplay mechanic "dealing with it".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pakled posted:

Or maybe you don't want to *have* to murder every male family member just to make decadence not be a huge hassle. Decadence is, to me, an unfun mechanic because it forces you to play in one of two ways: a homicidal maniac bent on murdering every man in your family or constantly fighting off decadence invasions. Well, three ways if you count "not a Muslim" as an alternative.

You only need to imprison them, as prison is not terribly comfortable.

Excelzior posted:

wait...that poo poo happened outside & before the Ottoman empire of the EU4 era? How loving ghastly.

No, not really. The Ottomans were relatively unique in this regard. Having to do in every other male in your dynasty because the supposed alternative, Always Be Conquerin' and keeping everyone landed, runs into the natural problem of exponential dynasty growth, is really dumb! So dumb that decadence is eventually going to be reworked.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm gonna go back and agree that decadence as a mechanic is crap even though I kinda like gaming it. I really wish they had have tried to implement that developer's idea into SoA because when they said they were giving love to the Abrahamic faiths I immediately thought "yay, decadence will be fixed, for sure!".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Playing a Muslim is not bad, except if you are addicted to "must have all my vassals be of my family". I don't know what the appeal of this is, but I guess about half the people in the thread are addicts. You have nice events and interesting starting positions as a Muslim ruler, the price you have to pay is to manage decadence. I agree it is an unfun mechanic, but it is not too bad. If you are not conquering the whole world then it should never become a problem. Not that councilors and imprisoned relatives don't contribute to decadence.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I never had a problem with decadence, but I'm having a hard time enjoying my latest foray into CK2, which has me attempting to play a Merchant Republic. It's unfun enough where I kind of want to call it stillborn on my first ruler and leave it at that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

Basically you'd have to edit it yourself. It's pretty easy. Just go into the mod directly -> common -> Job Titles and then in the allow block type
code:
allow = {
		is_adult = yes
		prisoner = no
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
	}

Considering what SeaTard said, I think I'll just leave it be. Thanks for the help though.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
How exactly would I edit the localisation for title holders in CK2+? I formed the Britannian Empire as an Anglo-Saxon, which in CK2+ renames to Bryten, which I like. I want to rename Emperor to Brytenwalda, but I cannot find where to edit the localisation for that. I can edit the name of the empire just fine, but that's not what I want to do. Any help?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mortuus posted:

How exactly would I edit the localisation for title holders in CK2+? I formed the Britannian Empire as an Anglo-Saxon, which in CK2+ renames to Bryten, which I like. I want to rename Emperor to Brytenwalda, but I cannot find where to edit the localisation for that. I can edit the name of the empire just fine, but that's not what I want to do. Any help?

In common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt, find the title in question, then within its { } brackets add a line saying
saxon = <whateveryouwant>

so,
e_britannia = {
saxon = Brytenwalda
<all the other necessary stuff (color, color2, capital, all de jure titles under it, etc)>
}

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Considering what SeaTard said, I think I'll just leave it be. Thanks for the help though.

This part is fine, what causes issues is the other bit of the gender equality mod, which set everyone to full agnatic. That's the part I was complaining about earlier in the thread, and one of the ck2+ maintainers came in to say why they disabled it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SeaTard posted:

This part is fine, what causes issues is the other bit of the gender equality mod, which set everyone to full agnatic. That's the part I was complaining about earlier in the thread, and one of the ck2+ maintainers came in to say why they disabled it.

Ah, alright. Guess I'll have to decide. Changing all those tags seems like work, but I'd love to actually have an equal playing field.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Here's a wild question, I feel like starting a new game and is it possible to set up a pagan or Muslim republic?

e: Quick search says I can! Time to set up my Viking trade wars, taking over your waterways and building trade routes :black101:

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 23, 2013

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
So I'm returning after a bit of a hiatus, and it looks like all my old CK2+ saves are invalid, and that CK2+ is no longer updated. Does this mean that shattered world and gender equality are a thing of the past? Those were my favorite bits...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MoreLikeTen posted:

So I'm returning after a bit of a hiatus, and it looks like all my old CK2+ saves are invalid, and that CK2+ is no longer updated. Does this mean that shattered world and gender equality are a thing of the past? Those were my favorite bits...

Some other people took over CK2+ so it is still updated, but sadly they removed gender equality. Shattered world is still there though.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I ended up editing some of the files for my game to do things like letting women be councillors and other small things, but now I kinda want to do Ironman, but can't remember what I changed/restore it to normal. Is there anyway to reset game files?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I ended up editing some of the files for my game to do things like letting women be councillors and other small things, but now I kinda want to do Ironman, but can't remember what I changed/restore it to normal. Is there anyway to reset game files?

Right click the title on Steam and hit Properties, then go to local files and verify, Steam will check if any of the files are corrupted or modified and then redownload.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Over 500 hours and this game never ceases to amuse me.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

MoreLikeTen posted:

The latest version of CK2+ was actually released less than two days ago. New releases are found here. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?707030-CK2Plus-Continuation-Balance-improvements-more-kingdoms-and-empires-more-ambition

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

marktheando posted:

Some other people took over CK2+ so it is still updated, but sadly they removed gender equality. Shattered world is still there though.

Noe, however, that now all kingdoms get the gender equality effects under Cognatic. You can specifically build your realm to smash the surrounding patriarchy!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hellsjudge posted:

Here's a wild question, I feel like starting a new game and is it possible to set up a pagan or Muslim republic?

e: Quick search says I can! Time to set up my Viking trade wars, taking over your waterways and building trade routes :black101:

Jewish trade republic, for all the gold! Bonus points if your capitol is the island of Malta!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Guildencrantz posted:

Noe, however, that now all kingdoms get the gender equality effects under Cognatic. You can specifically build your realm to smash the surrounding patriarchy!

Indeed, I am pretty sure Enatic-Cognatic and absolute Enatic are also there by default. Really the only thing is making sure your vassals keep up the matrilineal marriages. Thankfully CK2+ doesn't have the marriage bonus or penalty, so the poor matrilineal choices also don't sting you either.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Jewish trade republic, for all the gold! Bonus points if your capitol is the island of Malta!!

Jews don't make extra gold, I am disappointed.

There is a plus though, you can holy war the poo poo out of Christian lands and just carve out your trade empire by force.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

Jews don't make extra gold, I am disappointed.

Charming...

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

Charming...

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of; don't you ever stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. Feudal or republic or a theocracy, respect yourself and all of those SONS OF ABRAHAM around you.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there a separate mod for the "all counties are independent" scenario that comes in CK2+? I'd like to play on that map without CK2+.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PureRok posted:

Is there a separate mod for the "all counties are independent" scenario that comes in CK2+? I'd like to play on that map without CK2+.

You can make one really easily using the Titular Title Generator. Use the generate history option in the third tab (if memory serves).

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I find it really weird how the Sultanate of Rum never appears in any game started pre-Alexiad. I honestly forgot they were even A Thing until I started fiddling around with the start dates. Are there no events for them, or do they always get crushed?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
They need to put Sons of Abraham on sale. I will wait you out, fucker. I will not purchase you at full price.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PureRok posted:

You should be able to play it without CK2+, as I was able to load a game up without. No guarantees on the stability as I didn't play it.

Granted I prefer Reign of Princes, as I never see the AI attack one another in SW. It's only after I do something that they will stir. Kind of leads to an even easier snowball.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Ruler designer is the best DLC :allears:.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

So could you always take the Pope's taxes when you vassalized him? I'm getting 800 gold a year from bishops all over the place, and the Pope is getting all of 4 gold a month.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Rianeva posted:

So could you always take the Pope's taxes when you vassalized him? I'm getting 800 gold a year from bishops all over the place, and the Pope is getting all of 4 gold a month.

Probably if you switched to Free Investiture, what I found is when I vassalized the Pope and kept the laws at Papal Investiture, he didn't get his crazy bishop tax money and neither did I, so all he was making was his standard feudal lord tax revenue and all I was getting from him was standard bishop tax.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

hellsjudge posted:

Probably if you switched to Free Investiture, what I found is when I vassalized the Pope and kept the laws at Papal Investiture, he didn't get his crazy bishop tax money and neither did I, so all he was making was his standard feudal lord tax revenue and all I was getting from him was standard bishop tax.

That could be it, I had to swap to free investiture to make my antipope (and I didn't get the achievement either :( ) and I haven't switched back yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

SlyFrog posted:

They need to put Sons of Abraham on sale. I will wait you out, fucker. I will not purchase you at full price.
Go to Gamefly or GMG and get 20% off with their winter sale vouchers.

• Locked thread