Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

AncientTV posted:

It's Metzeler's logo

I guess they used to pull the rubber out of the forest with elephants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
edit: nope nevermind

red19fire
May 26, 2010

83 GS750E. Going to need a new rear shock soon, but it runs awesome otherwise.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought A Thing.

Is that your garage? What's under the cover? Looks like a porsche profile. And the garage looks nice, too.

I haven't ridden my motorcycle in like 2 months, this sucks :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

dreesemonkey posted:

Today it is finally above freezing, so I'm going to take some stuff off my bike after work.

My poor, lonely bike. Someday, I will put you back together and we shall ride again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dreesemonkey posted:

Is that your garage? What's under the cover? Looks like a porsche profile. And the garage looks nice, too.

Yeah, it's a 997.1 Turbo with an EvoMS kit making 700ish AWHP.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm pretty excited to see what you do with the Suzuki. That Triumph of yours was classy, so I have high expectations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it's a 997.1 Turbo with an EvoMS kit making 700ish AWHP.

Wow, that's about as good as it gets. That is awesome.

What do you dd?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

red19fire posted:

83 GS750E. Going to need a new rear shock soon, but it runs awesome otherwise.

Every time someone keeps an 80s Japanese bike alive and not cafe'd, somewhere a puppy gets snuggled.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PadreScout posted:

I'm pretty excited to see what you do with the Suzuki. That Triumph of yours was classy, so I have high expectations.

It's hard to make a GSXR classy but it'll be cool soon. :)

dreesemonkey posted:

Wow, that's about as good as it gets. That is awesome.

What do you dd?

Hahaha, the GSXR. My dad lives out of the country - I live in his house here. I don't get to play with his toys, he'd murder me.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 20, 2013

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Every time someone keeps an 80s Japanese bike alive and not cafe'd, somewhere a puppy gets snuggled.

This is the goddamn truth. A buddy of mine has multiple GPZs of different displacements and all of them thankfully still have superbike bars and :krad: plastics.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

Knee drag point is a lot further past losing your strips than you think at first. :v:

It varies by bike, tire, and riding style. I'll drag knee all day at the track and still have 2cm chicken strips on the rear.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Finally got the Duc back together after Zool kindly tossed it down Thunder Hill.

It's been a long road getting here and there is still a handful of niggles left but god drat do I love it so. I've wanted one of these since I looked into taking the MSF before I got my first bike. It's every bit as good as I imagined years ago. Fantastic on a track. Hilariously uncomfortable and awkward running around the city.

It's such an occasion every time you turn it on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zool posted:

It varies by bike, tire, and riding style. I'll drag knee all day at the track and still have 2cm chicken strips on the rear.

Yeah - I note that I dragged some knee in Cali but I still have strips on Q2s. I've run them before on different bikes and I think they don't really want to scrub to the edge unless you've got them aired down to track psi. I was running 42psi in them to try and keep em alive on the long haul out/back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You burn off rear chicken strips with throttle while leaned over and the fronts with lean angle and/or trail braking.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I burn off my chicken strips doing circle donuts like a boss

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I burn off my chicken strips with a blowtorch. Am I doing this right?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Noob. That heat cycles the rubber. Next time use an angle grinder.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I don't know why, but I'm hungry after reading this thread.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Oh hello there

Taken me to Alaska and back in snow and ice. Currently enjoying lane splitting in Southern California.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

tranten posted:

Oh hello there

Taken me to Alaska and back in snow and ice. Currently enjoying lane splitting in Southern California.

Hey beard buddy, did you end up doing any work to your bike?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yerok posted:

This is the goddamn truth. A buddy of mine has multiple GPZs of different displacements and all of them thankfully still have superbike bars and :krad: plastics.

I agree, I think the aesthetic needs to be appreciated for what it is and not cafe'd like a jerkoff. I love the look of 'we don't have a wind tunnel, but make it look aerodynamic'.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Precisely. I also don't understand how you can even turn a GPZ/KZ/80's anything with clipons.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 21, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Santa is real! Just a week after getting a foot of snow, we received a day of 60F with 300% humidity. Not going to get any better in December (around here)

Not instagram, but just as bad.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Word. My 2 '82 KZ1000s will never feel the bite of a sawzall. I even ripped the Vetter Rooster fairing and luggage rack/sissy bar off my LTD, it's now totally stock. There are guys who do it right, but they are few and far between. The others end up destroying great bikes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My ancient 80s Fzr400 frankenbike.

Last year logged over 11,000. this year:

The only original 400 parts is the frame and two wheels.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What all has been done to that bike? Looks like a GSX-R front end, GSX-R exhaust, Koso gauges, superbike seat - what else?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Liter gsxr forks, ducati rotors, axle the spouse and I made on a lathe.
switchgear is from an R6, yokes and clipons are gsxr1000.
yzf600r engine, carb parts from various fzr/R6/Yzf motorcycles.
rear swinger is left alone other than a fox twinclicker.
I went to the gsxr exhaust, the d&d it came with was falling apart from age. I retained the d&d race headers though.
underwent a full rewire because it came to me as a hacked to hell track bike.
Seat I made out of abs sheet. bodywork is just replacement glasswork. tail light is from an R1.

Its fun. its crotchety as gently caress. but its fun.

theres another 400 on the lift behind it. its going to be stock-ish. Its undergoing a engine rebuild currently.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 600 engine is bolt-in right? I've seen a guy racing one with the same swap, it had an ohlins shock on the rear and presumably comparably modified guts in the forks, as well as 954 fireblade brakes adapted to fit. Was reasonably quick.

Oh, and a red bull can for an overflow tank.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Oh, and a red bull can for an overflow tank.

I like this idea. I'm just running a puke tube for a overflow.

The fzr600 bolts in, its a little taller, radiator needs to be modified.
Yzf600s take a lotta fuckery to make em work. you've gotta shim the sproket or split the cases and replace the output on the trans.
E: carbs normally have a ram air setup like the R6 does. I cheated and it kinda works but really doesnt. It needs EFI honestly.

I was running modified fzr600 forks prior to the gsxr stuff. I got a killer deal on the new forks, and sold the old parts for what I paid for the new, so it was essentially a free upgrade.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 24, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Better than a vfr750 engine into an NC30, that involves cutting horseshoes out of the frame and welding in plates so the thing fits. And then you just get a bike that's slightly slower and a lot clumsier than a modern 600SS.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I said I wouldn't touch the main frame as its cherry. there is a few guys trying to stuff 750 and liter engines into the 600 frame.

my next issue to climb over is that the 150/60zr18 isn't made by bridgestone anymore. Its either run chinese tires or convert the rear. Two things I don't want to do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd convert the rear. There's gotta be something that'd fit at least a 160 17 back there - just the modern tires are going to be a huge upgrade.

Neat project :) I've always wanted to do a restomod type thing on an RD350 or something like that, would make for a fun modern trackbike.

I need to get the RS125/CRF450 swap going already. Too much stuff to do, not enough time...

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I want to get rid of my RD400, but I have dreams of a banshee engined, GSXR front end two stroke bastard bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

My ancient 80s Fzr400 frankenbike.

Last year logged over 11,000. this year:

The only original 400 parts is the frame and two wheels.

Are you new in here or just don't post? This is the sort of poo poo that I love to see here. This is better for a discussion topic than another counter steering debate or argument about the Grom. That's an insane looking machine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I started a project thread in here ehhh almost a year ago, it didn't catch much interest so I bailed out.

Rode it 220 miles to bigbear today. Forgot how much fun it was, my last ride was before a major car accident in September.

It also handles pretty well on icy roads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's always hard to keep people posting in project threads unless you have some chatting and other stuff going on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I took advantage of a rare warm day and rode out to the Fox River.

(Not pictured: the Fox River)
(Pictured: the parking lot of a Burger King in Elgin, IL)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ducati riders ride to coffee shops on warm sunny days and adv riders ride to burger kings on slightly miserable days. Nice bike! Glad you got a respite to go ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Coydog posted:

Ducati riders ride to coffee shops on warm sunny days and adv riders ride to burger kings on slightly miserable days. Nice bike! Glad you got a respite to go ride.

Thanks! We got a surprise sunny day in the mid-40s rather than sub-freezing. Unfortunately, I was up until 3 the night before, so I didn't wake up until 1 and didn't get out the door until about 3, on a day when the sun sets around 4:30. Maybe next time I'll set an alarm.