Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

I just want to empty quote this as there's nothing I can add to it. RS1 had an amazing and underrated tracklist. You can' t judge it by what it looks like on paper. If you think there is nothing there to interest you, then you are wrong. Great songs, great to play, and yes many more newbie level songs.

Yeah seriously, I think I got a couple up to ~90% on the first try. Definitely better for people starting out.

Also, speaking of RS1, a forum goon Nocheez was nice enough to send me it for freesies, so if there's a goon who wants the 360 version to load up all the songs into the ol' 2014 just pm me or whatever and I'll send it your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks mister, my bleeding hands will thank you!

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 23, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah seriously, I think I got a couple up to ~90% on the first try. Definitely better for people starting out.

Also, speaking of RS1, a forum goon Nocheez was nice enough to send me it for freesies, so if there's a goon who wants the 360 version to load up all the songs into the ol' 2014 just pm me or whatever and I'll send it your way.

Glad you got it in time for Christmas! And play Six AM Salvation a bunch. It rocks!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to get customs to work in RS2014?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to get customs to work in RS2014?

Yes, astonishingly they're stickies in the 'tutorials and help' forum on smithy's anvil.
Here are two, for example http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?id=10453 and http://forums.smithyanvil.com/viewtopic.php?id=10137

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Does anyone know if RS 2014 keeps track of your scores and achievements when you're in offline mode? I'll be going to my parents' house for several days (which doesn't have internet), and the OCD part of me doesn't want to do Score Attack and stuff like that if it won't register with Steam and/or Uplay when I get back to civilization.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Fugue Stater posted:

Does anyone know if RS 2014 keeps track of your scores and achievements when you're in offline mode? I'll be going to my parents' house for several days (which doesn't have internet), and the OCD part of me doesn't want to do Score Attack and stuff like that if it won't register with Steam and/or Uplay when I get back to civilization.

No it doesn't

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
How easy would it be for someone that has never picked up an instrument other than a month period 20 years ago to learn from this game? I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Nthman posted:

How easy would it be for someone that has never picked up an instrument other than a month period 20 years ago to learn from this game? I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument.

It's a very good motivator and way to get started, but ultimately you'll still have to put in the time and effort to get there. If you follow through what the game asks of you, there's no reason you shouldn't get competent, especially if you use sites like justinguitar.com to work on your technique (which the game itself can't teach as well).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wedge Regret

Nthman posted:

Rockstar isn't a magic bullet for learning guitar it just makes the learning/practice part more fun.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nthman posted:

If you do well in a song the guy will tell you "You're gonna be a superstar" and if you can't trust the in-game-voice guy who can you trust? Therefore rocksmith makes it pretty trivial to become a superstar. QED.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Fugue Stater posted:

It's a very good motivator and way to get started, but ultimately you'll still have to put in the time and effort to get there. If you follow through what the game asks of you, there's no reason you shouldn't get competent, especially if you use sites like justinguitar.com to work on your technique (which the game itself can't teach as well).

Thats all I wanted to know. I was curious how well it worked as a tool to help people learn, i know theres more to it than that but was curious. Thanks :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got this + the original game as a gift for Christmas. Thanks goons, now my fingers are bleeding :argh:! I've noticed a difference already away from the non-improvement state I was in with my guitar, and am loving it.

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.

Mr E posted:

Just got this + the original game as a gift for Christmas. Thanks goons, now my fingers are bleeding :argh:! I've noticed a difference already away from the non-improvement state I was in with my guitar, and am loving it.

This is what makes me love the game, as opposed to just liking it a lot. I've played guitar on and off for 10 years and thought I reached my skill limit a long time ago, basically playing nothing but rhythm and maybe the odd little lick just for fun ever since. After 2 months (or however long its been out now) of this game I'm seeing a drastic (and I mean Huuge) improvement and now I'm considering maybe playing in a band again, even though I "decided" that was a waste of time now I'm a grown up. If anyone reading this is on the fence about getting it; buy Rocksmith 2014 you massive bell-end!

Edit:
Don't take this as me saying "This game will make you good". What I mean is that this game makes practicing fun. Like "Oh poo poo it's 4 in the morning and the neighbours have been banging on the door for the last hour"-fun.

Merry Christmas, rock 'n rollers!

Crash Fistfight fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 24, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
This has officially hit the top of my playtime of any game I own on steam now. I just try to play at least 30 minutes a day. Some days I almost skip playing but do it anyway and end up playing longer than I planned. It feels awesome to be playing something and get a real skill out of it. Now I look at the amount I am playing anything else and if I don't at least devote the same amount to playing guitar it seems like a waste of time.

If anyone wants to be steam or uplay guitar buddies:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jhvh1/ and on uplay I am surrealchemist

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo the customs own so much. :stare:

regaldeacon
Dec 18, 2011
After having been interested in this game for awhile I finally bought my copy and installed it today. I really want to play it, as I love games would like to get better at guitar. That said, I have only had the game actually recognize the notes I am playing in 2 instances so far, once when I finally got it to calibrate initially and once after installing ASIO4ALL, a sketchy driver that I cannot even access to see if it is working, each of these session for 15-30 minutes. Most of the time it claims I don't have a Realtone cord attached. I should have said initially my guitar has had its neck broken, its input smashed and has generally suffered various forms of abuse and neglect over the years.

I'm going to clean up my fret board and replace the strings but does anyone have any software/maintenance advice before I take the plunge and consider upgrading my aging Epiphone SG. It is quite touchy coming out of an amp as to whether I get mostly static or the note I am trying to play, though when I hit the sweet spot of switches I am golden. It's not like its a nice guitar, we just have a history together and it would be nice to finally learn how to play it somewhat competently. Plus it's in most of the in-game videos so far.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

regaldeacon posted:

once after installing ASIO4ALL, a sketchy driver that I cannot even access to see if it is working,

Rocksmith doesn't use ASIO at all. That driver accomplishes nothing aside from adding more variables that can go wrong.

quote:

Most of the time it claims I don't have a Realtone cord attached.

Flaky USB? Try another port, don't use any hubs, try an USB2/USB3 port, etc.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

regaldeacon posted:

I'm going to clean up my fret board and replace the strings but does anyone have any software/maintenance advice before I take the plunge and consider upgrading my aging Epiphone SG. It is quite touchy coming out of an amp as to whether I get mostly static or the note I am trying to play, though when I hit the sweet spot of switches I am golden. It's not like its a nice guitar, we just have a history together and it would be nice to finally learn how to play it somewhat competently. Plus it's in most of the in-game videos so far.

I'm no expert but I'd just stick with the guitar you have. As far as *I'm* concerned, most expensive super guitars have about 5% more actual quality improvement over cheaper entry level guitars, the rest is just the same. Or at the most sound the same. Most pros just get given expensive guitars basically as advertisements or endorsements, and then for general public they jack the price up 500%.

At least that's my humble opinion.

If you really want to upgrade your guitar, you can. Look at new pickups, they'd probably make the biggest difference. Or just go for new cable (not that that's possible with the RealTone).

But yeah, the amount of life probably still in your aging guitar is more than enough for you to learn with and get great at. :)

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
What are everyone's favourite songs to play off the disc(s)? I've mainly just been playing the songs I know but there's this huge swathe of songs I've never heard from the RS1 and RS2 base games. For my part I've really enjoyed playing Round And Round by Ratt (really fun 80s hair metal song with loads of interesting riffs and an awesome solo that's generally not too difficult), Where Is My Mind by Pixies (very easy to play along with, nothing harder than a few barre chords but enough variation to keep it interesting), Plug in Baby by Muse (pretty much just one lick, but one that sounds great, is really fun to play and will give you a bit of a workout) and perhaps less obviously Love That's Gone by La Sera (this song will improve almost every part of your playing, and for someone like me who tends to mainly play a lot of rock and metal it will make you work on some underdeveloped techniques - some tricky rhythm work that will make you do some tricky chord changes while thinking about your phrasing and volume dynamics, and loads of great fun and fairly challenging lead work with plenty of legato and double stops all over the fretboard. Also, a really great tune!).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fugue Stater posted:

Seconding this.

What's really convenient for practicing and probably underutilized is session mode. I always practice with headphones so I don't drive everyone in my house crazy, but I previously had no way of having my metronome play through said headphones. Queue everyone wanting to kill me for hours of endless click click click click.

Last night I got a good two hours of drills in without anyone bothering me, it was so nice.

(Obligatory use a loving metronome post)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

regaldeacon posted:

After having been interested in this game for awhile I finally bought my copy and installed it today. I really want to play it, as I love games would like to get better at guitar. That said, I have only had the game actually recognize the notes I am playing in 2 instances so far, once when I finally got it to calibrate initially and once after installing ASIO4ALL, a sketchy driver that I cannot even access to see if it is working, each of these session for 15-30 minutes. Most of the time it claims I don't have a Realtone cord attached. I should have said initially my guitar has had its neck broken, its input smashed and has generally suffered various forms of abuse and neglect over the years.

Have you turned the volume for the cable (in recording device settings) right up to 100%?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The latest patch fucks with the volume the recording volume as soon as you tab back into the game, seems to hover between 17%-22% but you can use the ingame gain controls under audio options to fix it now.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So this just happened.

:toot:

My first song where I hit 100%. Sure it isn't a hard song. But seeing as how I've been playing rocksmith for only 20-25 hours and I have never played guitar before (not counting learning a single chord in elementary school and then forgetting it) I am very happy. I have no idea how it went beyond 100%, but maybe that means I played it better than the band? :v:

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

Torabi posted:

I have no idea how it went beyond 100%, but maybe that means I played it better than the band? :v:

That is the master mode kicking in. When you do well enough on a section the notes start fading out (eventually they disappearing completely) and it ups your percentage. With master mode enabled you can get scores over 100% while still missing notes. You can toggle it on/off in the riff repeater.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Saint Isz posted:

That is the master mode kicking in. When you do well enough on a section the notes start fading out (eventually they disappearing completely) and it ups your percentage. With master mode enabled you can get scores over 100% while still missing notes. You can toggle it on/off in the riff repeater.

Ah, thanks for explaining.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Heads up, Rocksmith 2014 is 33% off over at steam, which brings it to $40.19.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Booooo. None of the 2014 DLC is 25% off.

Also, steam's handling of pack DLC and not being able to just plain get it to filter down to what you don't already own is super stupid design. Having to go loving about down a giant great list of stuff and tab in/out to check if I already own it is dumb.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kerbtree posted:

Booooo. None of the 2014 DLC is 25% off.

Of course it's not. Why would anyone, any publisher, put DLC on sale? That's just silly, why it's practically giving money away. And who would do something like that on or near Christmas?

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Heads up, Rocksmith 2014 is 33% off over at steam, which brings it to $40.19.

Its also on sale on Amazon for 49.99 and that version includes the cable. Its where I bought mine!

http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-201...+realtone+cable

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Did Steam screw up or something? I'm still seeing 2014 at 25% off when that's the price it's been going for since day one.

EDIT: Never mind, fixed itself now.

JetGrind fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 24, 2013

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Of course it's not. Why would anyone, any publisher, put DLC on sale? That's just silly, why it's practically giving money away. And who would do something like that on or near Christmas?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or something but all the original rocksmith DLC is 50% off right now. It's pretty lame they won't sell the new stuff cheaper too.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Macavity posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or something but all the original rocksmith DLC is 50% off right now. It's pretty lame they won't sell the new stuff cheaper too.

It's weird to release the game so close to the holidays and then have your DLC stick out by being one of the few things on Steam not on sale.

Also, they should really include the RS 2012 DLC on the RS 2014 DLC page, as well, since many people don't know the old DLC works.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The only DLC you guys need is Cherub Rock and an account on Smithy. :getin:

I am so addicted to customs right now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Gah, the Amazon sale is apparently over for the $50 w/cable deal. :(

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

The only DLC you guys need is Cherub Rock and an account on Smithy. :getin:

I am so addicted to customs right now.

Get all the DLC. Customs are great but buy as much DLC as you can afford so they keep making it. Get all of it. All the DLC.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I still plan on getting DLC for songs I like, that said I have a few questions about custom. Does it show up in the game regularly like other tracks? Can you have multiple at a time? Last, does it affect your progress relating to missions in anyway?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

unlawfulsoup posted:

I still plan on getting DLC for songs I like, that said I have a few questions about custom. Does it show up in the game regularly like other tracks? Can you have multiple at a time? Last, does it affect your progress relating to missions in anyway?

yes yes no

edit vvvv:

all just using cherub rock.

edit2: buy 10 DLC songs anyway dont be a tightass

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 25, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

awesmoe posted:

yes yes no

I only have one song so far but is it possible to keep downloading songs even though they all use the cherub rock app id? Or do I have to buy like, 10 dlc songs so I can replace them with customs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Torabi posted:

I only have one song so far but is it possible to keep downloading songs even though they all use the cherub rock app id? Or do I have to buy like, 10 dlc songs so I can replace them with customs?

You can repeat that one as many times as you need.