Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A Christmas Carol/Miracle On 34th Street/Jingle All The Way/Home Alone 2 - $12.96

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041NR1C2?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0041NR1C2&adid=0TKS9QMZ2XQGS9W5VQ52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lionsgate is releasing The Wicker Man on Jan 7

Naturally, it's only the first disc of the UK set, so you're only getting the Final Cut and whatever extras were on the first disc. It'll be their first StudioCanal release since July 2012 (Grand Illusion).

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If you use a computer to display blu-rays you should probably set your output to 24p. Though switch it back after viewing because 24p for productivity is pretty bad.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 17, 2013

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Egbert Souse posted:

Predator 3-D is another fail.

The good news is that it's not as bad as the previous edition, but it still has way too much noise reduction and artificial sharpening. The sad part is that this is supposedly from a 4K scan.

God dammit I realized I had the lovely Ultimate Hunter Edition yesterday and was excited to see this was coming out so it would be easy to get a new copy. gently caress me running.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, in VLC go to "Media" > "Open disc" > find the "Disc" tab and select the "Blu ray" option. Pretty easy.
I've tried this a few times and it has never once worked for me, which is a shame because I've been using VLC to play every other kind of video on my PC for years and it's always worked great. If it did indeed work for Blu Rays, I feel like it'd be the best player out there.

Maybe I should try again though, because it's been a long time since I last tried.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Lionsgate is releasing The Wicker Man on Jan 7

Naturally, it's only the first disc of the UK set, so you're only getting the Final Cut and whatever extras were on the first disc. It'll be their first StudioCanal release since July 2012 (Grand Illusion).

Don't worry too much about it. Disc 2 only contains the Theatrical and Directors Cuts and Disc 3 is the soundtrack. Everything new is on Disc 1.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, in VLC go to "Media" > "Open disc" > find the "Disc" tab and select the "Blu ray" option. Pretty easy.

I've never been able to get it to work, even after downloading the required AACS files.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That has almost always worked for me after using AnyDVD HD. It still would work if my PC Blu-Ray drive hadn't died.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lots and lots of release dates from Fox, Universal, and Paramount (via Warner):

The Agony and the Ecstasy - March 4
An American Tail - March 4
Far and Away - March 4
Harry and the Hendersons - March 4
Intolerable Cruelty - March 4
Somewhere in Time - March 4
Vanilla Sky - April 15

Also, Twilight Time confirmed on Facebook that they don't have The Lady from Shanghai or Gilda from Sony. I'd put my money on both coming from Criterion later this year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Haven't seen anyone mention this but I just found out about it by browsing over to Blu-Ray.com

Thief - January 14th

4K print, the review from Blu-Ray.com gave it perfect marks on video and audio. I am so loving pumped for this. I don't jizz over Michael Mann's other work but Thief is special to me. The soundtrack, the storyline, James loving Caan. UGH

Finally. Now I just need for Punch-Drunk Love to be released on Blu-Ray

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

Harry and the Hendersons - March 4

loving FINALLY.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The Vincent Price Collection down to $38.66 for anyone interested

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Red posted:

loving FINALLY.

Celebrate with hesitation. It's a Universal release, along with the rest of the films except for Agony (Fox) and Vanilla Sky (Paramount). Agony was shot on 65mm and was apparently scanned in 8K from the camera negative. Far and Away could look great since it was also shot in 65mm, but again... Universal.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is the transfer on The Assassination of Jesse James as mediocre as blu-ray.com suggests?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is the transfer on The Assassination of Jesse James as mediocre as blu-ray.com suggests?

It's mediocre, yes. But if you love the film, don't let it hold you back.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The World's End (w/ DVD & UV) - $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPEJX12?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00BPEJX12&adid=1N8W5QE55PCEV2RQT05R

Good price on a new release and the Blu-Ray is really well done (even if the movie itself is a bit of a letdown)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

The World's End (w/ DVD & UV) - $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPEJX12?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00BPEJX12&adid=1N8W5QE55PCEV2RQT05R

Good price on a new release and the Blu-Ray is really well done (even if the movie itself is a bit of a letdown)

What did you think was a letdown about it? For my money it's the best of the Cornetto movies.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Jedit posted:

What did you think was a letdown about it? For my money it's the best of the Cornetto movies.

I agree, not a letdown for me.

I think it's the movie of theirs that stands on its own merits the best when separated from the genre it's spoofing, although I think Hot Fuzz is my favorite.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I really need to see the World's End again with a different mindset. I walked out disappointed, but later I realized it's just a very different movie from the other two. I didn't dislike it, it just wasn't what I expected. Hot Fuzz is just such a good movie that it becomes an unfair comparison and incidentally I saw Hot Fuzz right before World's End.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

Eh, I thought it started to roll down hill after the robots were introduced and bottomed out near Gary's speech, which was terrible (and, yes, I realize it's suppose to be terrible but it also felt overly long)

That's not to say it's a bad movie but it didn't reach the high bar they set with Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Nah, best one of the three.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Dinosaur Jr Performs Bug Live - $7.19

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HGXGT8?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B006HGXGT8&adid=08S8SFY0BP69X8C2M3DN

Kinda short but it's worth it if you're a fan of the band. I thought it was much better than their last DVD.

It's also free on Amazon Prime in HD if you're a member.

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Jr-Live-Club-Hands/dp/B00C356OT6

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nah, best one of the three.

Nah, it's like they had to shoehorn that stupid idea into the script and it dragged everything down.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 23, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OH! That's a bluray ... gently caress... I have it on purple vinyl and it's goddamn amazing.

I am also gay for Dinosaur JR.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone know of any plans to bring Time After Time to blu ray? I can get it on Amazon's instant video service, but I'm sure it's not a great quality. I know it wasn't a smash hit or anything (right?) but I love this movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kingtheninja posted:

Does anyone know of any plans to bring Time After Time to blu ray? I can get it on Amazon's instant video service, but I'm sure it's not a great quality. I know it wasn't a smash hit or anything (right?) but I love this movie.

There's no existing HD transfer and Warner Bros distributed the DVD. All signs point to no.

- edit Speaking of Warner Bros, I wish they would release more Blu-Rays or drop the price on their streaming service.

They put up a ton of HD movies.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 24, 2013

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Canadians! Cineplex is running an incredible deal for Boxing Week:

-- 50% off everything
-- Free shipping on any order
-- Free movie ticket with any disc purchase over $14.99
-- They have Criterions

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Max22 posted:

-- 50% off everything
-- They have Criterions

Whoah thanks!

Such a lovely interface though. But still.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Max22 posted:

-- 50% off everything
-- They have Criterions

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Max22 posted:

-- 50% off everything
-- They have Criterions

And a Merry Christmas to you too !

Edit: The free movie ticket doesn't stack so I had to make 7 separate orders, I'm a pig.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 24, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com has a bit more on I Love Lucy. Looks like all episodes are restored with original credits and sponsor plugs instead of the syndication versions.

Also, looks like Warner is abandoning their classic animation releases. No second volume of Tom & Jerry cartoons likely and any release would be incomplete. The next Looney Tunes set will likely be the last. They are licensing some properties out finally, but I doubt we would see Shout! get them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com has a bit more on I Love Lucy. Looks like all episodes are restored with original credits and sponsor plugs instead of the syndication versions.

Also, looks like Warner is abandoning their classic animation releases. No second volume of Tom & Jerry cartoons likely and any release would be incomplete. The next Looney Tunes set will likely be the last. They are licensing some properties out finally, but I doubt we would see Shout! get them.

Any word on the Batman Brave and the Bold blu-ray set they announced?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just a heads up, the blu ray versions of Archer (season 1, 2, and 3) are down to $16.98 each (the lowest I've ever seen them) on Amazon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

Just a heads up, the blu ray versions of Archer (season 1, 2, and 3) are down to $16.98 each (the lowest I've ever seen them) on Amazon.

Best Buy had them at 11.99 on black Friday. I think at least one of them still had that price.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

What a bunch of bullshit. I loved the Looney Tunes sets. gently caress.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If I have a 3D Blu-Ray player, but not a 3D TV, could I play a 3D disc and just watch the 2D?

I really want the new, better master of Jurassic Park but it's only on the 3D disc, and the disc doesn't have the option like say Hugo does.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

If I have a 3D Blu-Ray player, but not a 3D TV, could I play a 3D disc and just watch the 2D?

Generally, the player will give you the option.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CPL593H posted:

Best Buy had them at 11.99 on black Friday. I think at least one of them still had that price.

They currently have seasons one and two for $14.99.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner is the absolute worse at this. They release one or two seasons and then they cancel all the upcoming seasons due to low sales.

It's as if people realized that they always do that and wait for a complete boxset.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The King Kong "blu ray book" is 10.99 on Amazon at the moment. Go get it, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I really want the new, better master of Jurassic Park but it's only on the 3D disc, and the disc doesn't have the option like say Hugo does.

Yes.

• Locked thread