Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ok, this is an old movie that I remember watching many times on TV when I was a kid and for some reason it just sprang back up into my head. I've been searching for it for years

All I remember is the end of the movie. There were at least two main protagonists, one of which was a black man I remember being Sidney Poitier, but a search of his filmography came up with no similar movie.

In the final scenes, I remember the characters being in some weird compound, perhaps in a jungle somewhere. There was a stream inside the building and it had piranhas in it, and maybe there were other exotic animals like tigers or something behind cages. I only have one sequence stuck in my head and it's the characters going through that compound and maybe above a little bridge with the piranha water.

I know it's not much to go by, but if anyone has any idea I'd be grateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
"Little bridge over piranha water" is the classic Blofeld death trap from You Only Live Twice.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Looking for a movie set in medieval Japan or China, released about the same time as Ran, that features similar battles with Japanese soldiers with flags on their backs, that has "heaven" in the title.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 23, 2013

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

Looking for a movie set in medieval Japan or China, released about the same time as Ran, that features similar battles with Japanese soldiers with flags on their backs, that has "heave" in the title.

Heaven and Earth ?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

That's it! Thanks!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Duro posted:

Ok, this is an old movie that I remember watching many times on TV when I was a kid and for some reason it just sprang back up into my head. I've been searching for it for years

All I remember is the end of the movie. There were at least two main protagonists, one of which was a black man I remember being Sidney Poitier, but a search of his filmography came up with no similar movie.

In the final scenes, I remember the characters being in some weird compound, perhaps in a jungle somewhere. There was a stream inside the building and it had piranhas in it, and maybe there were other exotic animals like tigers or something behind cages. I only have one sequence stuck in my head and it's the characters going through that compound and maybe above a little bridge with the piranha water.

I know it's not much to go by, but if anyone has any idea I'd be grateful

Could it be Bird on a Wire? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_on_a_Wire_(film)) The final scene is in a zoo area, and one of the bad guys is Bill Duke, who could kind of be mistaken for Poitier.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

This has been floating around Tumblr for ages and I've always wondered which film it is from. Any ideas?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

number one pta fan posted:

This has been floating around Tumblr for ages and I've always wondered which film it is from. Any ideas?

Might be the scene from Walk Hard where Jenna Fischer is on top of John C. Reilly. Kinda looks like her, and it's a similar shot, but I don't have the DVD or anything to check for sure.

Reive
May 21, 2009

So uh, I don't know where else to ask this, as it has to do with identifying media but I don't even know what kind of media it's from.
There's a phrase that's stuck in my head that googling doesn't help with, 'Ice nine give or take', that's the only part I can remember.
In context it was delivered by a character who was speaking total nonsense, in a very monotone/deadpan voice, something that reminds me of like a narrator for a nature documentary or science show.
For some reason I want to say it was from something that had to do with exploring your mind, whenever I think of the phrase I imagine Donald in Mathmagic Land, although I'm pretty sure the narrator didn't have a mental breakdown in that...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ice 9 is from Cat's Cradle but I haven't read it in years so I couldn't tell you if that specific line is there

Flux Equals Rad
Jun 22, 2007
oh my god bear is driving how can that be!?
Saw a movie with the sound turned off in a bar this past summer. All I remember is that it was an Asian movie, looked like maybe early 2000s-ish, in which a guy is hypnotized before an audience into thinking that he's a bird. But then the hypnotist can't get him to snap out of it. There was some other crazy stuff going on, too, so I'd really like to see this movie in a more appropriate movie-watching setting!

edit: Thank you, Origami Dali!

Flux Equals Rad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 26, 2013

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Flux Equals Rad posted:

Saw a movie with the sound turned off in a bar this past summer. All I remember is that it was an Asian movie, looked like maybe early 2000s-ish, in which a guy is hypnotized before an audience into thinking that he's a bird. But then the hypnotist can't get him to snap out of it. There was some other crazy stuff going on, too, so I'd really like to see this movie in a more appropriate movie-watching setting!

Survive Style 5+.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

There's a bit of spoken word from a metal song that I think might be from an old horror film that I would like to identify. Could be a radio play but I thought I might as well take a shot with this thread first. Transcript to the best of my abilities is as follows:

"{unintelligible] the Imp, the rebel angel that the evil serpent paradigms" (not sure if this is accurate)
*slide changes*
"This is Belzebub, Prince of the demons"
*slide changes*
"Asmodeus, Superintendent of Hell"
*slide changes*
"Astaroth, the Great Occidental duke and infernal treasurer"
*slide changes*
"Belphegor, the marshal. He rules over 70 leagues of demons."

the bit as it is in the song can be heard here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bushmeister posted:

There's a bit of spoken word from a metal song that I think might be from an old horror film that I would like to identify. Could be a radio play but I thought I might as well take a shot with this thread first. Transcript to the best of my abilities is as follows:

"{unintelligible] the Imp, the rebel angel that the evil serpent paradigms" (not sure if this is accurate)
*slide changes*
"This is Belzebub, Prince of the demons"
*slide changes*
"Asmodeus, Superintendent of Hell"
*slide changes*
"Astaroth, the Great Occidental duke and infernal treasurer"
*slide changes*
"Belphegor, the marshal. He rules over 70 leagues of demons."

the bit as it is in the song can be heard here.

Googling the Astaroth line gives you a result as the first hit. Since you're evidently a lazy fucker I'll let you repeat the process yourself.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Jedit posted:

Googling the Astaroth line gives you a result as the first hit. Since you're evidently a lazy fucker I'll let you repeat the process yourself.

I did. Thank you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bushmeister posted:

I did. Thank you.

No problem. And sorry for jumping down your throat - I just read a bit more about the movie and apparently all the other demon names are misspelled, so you could well have looked and not found it. I only picked Astaroth because his description had a rare adjective.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
This is a movie about some WWII pilots (i think) and they are flying and one of their wheels gets damaged. They have to land so they all start hoping or praying and then the wheel comes down and when they land they realize that the wheel is a cartoon, I remember one of the guys tries to touch it and it's sticky.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

b0nes posted:

This is a movie about some WWII pilots (i think) and they are flying and one of their wheels gets damaged. They have to land so they all start hoping or praying and then the wheel comes down and when they land they realize that the wheel is a cartoon, I remember one of the guys tries to touch it and it's sticky.

This was from an episode of Amazing Stories.

edit: Here you go:

http://vimeo.com/56670088

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

This is a reply to a post forever ago bc I stopped checking updates but this is the exact movie I was looking for. Big thanks! I got the urge to find it again today and here it was!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The only thing I recall from this is the poster. It's the face of big orange cat(or some sort of feline). If I recall correctly it's s trippy animated film from the 60's or 70's..? Hopefully someone can help, this has been driving me crazy lately

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not orange but Fritz the Cat?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Yaws posted:

The only thing I recall from this is the poster. It's the face of big orange cat(or some sort of feline). If I recall correctly it's s trippy animated film from the 60's or 70's..? Hopefully someone can help, this has been driving me crazy lately

Fritz the Cat is a trippy animated film from the 70s with felines, the sequel has a big orange cat face on it's poster.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yaws posted:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That's it! Thanks brah!
edit: I guess it's not animated?

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
I´ve been trying to find out what movie is this for ages, really freaked me out when I see it on tv as a kid:

Its a light suspense/ horror movie from the seventies, set on the beaches of the northest US. It starts in the past, with a lot of aborigenes dancing around a fire on a beach with some people buried in the sand until the neck (Roanoke related, maybe?).

Fast forward modern times, a family is going on vacation to the very same location, where there are some friends there, and a old couple of locals I guess. The point of the film is when they are there obviously some misterious stuff begins to happen, which its not clear if they aborigine are still around, or ghosts or some kind of cult, because the locals are a suspicious lot. Dont remember what happens next, some assessinations I guess, but in the end the mistery is solved, with the help of the local couple, and the family leaves. The final scene is the same dancing around the fire, with cloaked people and the old couple buried on the sand until the neck.

Its very likely Im missing of misremembering stuff, but, any help?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Ok this was a documentary, i am pretty sure it was about the apollo missions, but it might have featured Mercury missions too.

The think I remember the most about it is it had some really oldschool electronic music on it.

I am pretty sure it's NOT "For All Mankind" which had Brian Eno's wonderful "Apollo" soundtrack in it, the soundtrack i remember was more oldschool than that, featuring more analog-ey sounding synths.

I had seen it on TV a few times as a kid, in the 80's. Not sure if it was on cable or PBS, but it could have fit in for either.

I want to say it mentioned something about apollo 13, and I think this was the documentary that got me interested in Apollo 13, as well.

EDIT: ^^^ Portus, was it possibly Motel Hell?

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 29, 2013

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

This thread has given me the answers to my greatest mysteries, and I thought of one more: probably 80s and very early 90s. A village of people [possibly Tahiti or some other tropical place] is sick with some disease and everyone is burning up with fever. A doctor is caring for the people and they all decide to run down the beach in the night and jump in the ocean to cool off. The doctor is yelling and begging them to stop but they don't and all start swimming. Then it cuts to the next morning and their bodies are all over the beach. Seemed to be about the doctor, no idea if it a true story or not. Ideas? Haunts me to this day...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Portus posted:

It starts in the past, with a lot of aborigenes dancing around a fire on a beach with some people buried in the sand until the neck (Roanoke related, maybe?).

Is this something that really happened? What do you mean by Roanoke related?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SkunkDuster posted:

What do you mean by Roanoke related?

Figured I could answer this one.

Fistboy
Oct 24, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure this was a relevant movie with a major actor in it within the last 10-15 years.

Some war hero or former professional sports player enters a rehab clinic after sustaining a crippling injury. When he enters the clinic on his wheelchair he releases dirt on the floor like it was his new battleground. Like he used to do before every battle/game?

I really want to say Born on the 4th of July but I don't have access to that movie at the moment.

Portus
Sep 11, 2013

nitrogen posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Portus, was it possibly Motel Hell?
No, it was not. The tone of the movie Im trying to remember its more about suspense, and not at all gore.

SkunkDuster posted:

What do you mean by Roanoke related?
Sorry, was not very clear with that. I meant that the movie was set in the same location, NE U.S., and it begins with some kind of indian rite in which apparently the indians abducted some colonists and buried them on the sand, and danced around them. So I guess it could be that the movie is about that those indians were involved in the disappearance of the colonists, and that cult remained to present day in which the movie is set.
But maybe not, and the movie is not related to Roanoke (since its just a guess), but the rest its indeed there. Sorry for not being clearer about that.

***Edit: Found it, is Cry for the Strangers, based on a book by John Saul, and it was about indians and some kind of Devil/ supernatural cult, and not at all Roanoke related.

Portus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 29, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Scene from a movie stuck in my head. I think it's from the 80s or early 90s. There's a guy who likes this woman but some other guy is going to go out on a date with her. So the first guy gives the second guy "tips" about the woman but which are really designed to turn her off. One of them being that supposedly she doesn't like the guy to pay for dinner so when the check comes, the guy on the date indicates with his hand that the waiter should give the check to the woman.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Look Who's Talking

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Schweinhund posted:

Look Who's Talking

Haha wow, haven't seen that for 2+ decades. Thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Saw this movie a few days ago in bits and pieces while doing some work and really wanted to watch it in its entirety, but I'm apparently really bad at google and cant find a name. I'm overseas, but it looked relatively new, like mid 2000s new, might even be recent.

Guy has faint memories of family, looks like he was in prison or a psycho ward, comes home to an empty house and fragmented memories.

A different guy walks into a masochistic club and shoots an old woman with a shotgun, then proceeds to kill prostitute and company alike with shotgun before getting into a fist fight with some bald joker who schools him and then stabs him in the neck with something (syringe?). Baldy might have been a cult leader.

The shotgun guy crashes into the memory guy and his girlfriend and gets into a car chase before ending up at a sporting goods store and getting into a fist fight. Shotgun guy looks like he's winning, but I guess memory guy activated godmode halfway in and started beating the poo poo out of shotgun guy before killing him with a bat.

Finally as I was heading out I saw a scene with this stupid looking goon with half his face painted black and the other painted white.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rafzakael posted:

Saw this movie a few days ago in bits and pieces while doing some work and really wanted to watch it in its entirety, but I'm apparently really bad at google and cant find a name. I'm overseas, but it looked relatively new, like mid 2000s new, might even be recent.

Guy has faint memories of family, looks like he was in prison or a psycho ward, comes home to an empty house and fragmented memories.

A different guy walks into a masochistic club and shoots an old woman with a shotgun, then proceeds to kill prostitute and company alike with shotgun before getting into a fist fight with some bald joker who schools him and then stabs him in the neck with something (syringe?). Baldy might have been a cult leader.

The shotgun guy crashes into the memory guy and his girlfriend and gets into a car chase before ending up at a sporting goods store and getting into a fist fight. Shotgun guy looks like he's winning, but I guess memory guy activated godmode halfway in and started beating the poo poo out of shotgun guy before killing him with a bat.

Finally as I was heading out I saw a scene with this stupid looking goon with half his face painted black and the other painted white.
Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning. The stupid looking goon was Van Damme :cheeky:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

david_a posted:

Universal Solider: Day of Reckoning. The stupid looking goon was Van Damme :cheeky:

Yup, that's it, thanks. I knew he looked familiar but all that face paint...

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Evening folks,

First time over here on the identify a film thread. I've wanted to get this one done for ages but keep remembering it when unable to get online.

Details:

I think it's an Australian film, I remember seeing it on TV about 15-20 years ago. From the production values I'd go with an 80's film.

What I remember:

The film was a post apocalyptic survival scenario with a man and a woman spending some time in the wasteland with respirators on before finding a pressurised room in a hospital where they could take off their outdoor survival gear. The only specific scene I remember is where, while the woman is asleep the guy dons his outdoor gear and heads out. He returns with a piano and sits on the other side of some glass playing the piano for the girl, who as I recall was fairly delighted.

That's all folks. Any takers?

sbagliom
Mar 27, 2010

SOCIALISM IS DEAD
I think that would be "In the Aftermath: Angels Never Sleep".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

sbagliom posted:

I think that would be "In the Aftermath: Angels Never Sleep".

Holy crap, 15 years of memories and a couple of hours to identify. Thank you so much. It actually looks a bit naff and pretty cheesy but it's free on Youtube so here's to you.

Happy new year folks.