Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

BexGu posted:

Wait, how old is Castle suppose to be now? Iraq war vet? Vietnam vet?

616 Castle has been magicked and de-aged multiple times, last time being only a few years ago so he's probably only in his 30's. I think he's still a Nam vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

616 Castle has been magicked and de-aged multiple times, last time being only a few years ago so he's probably only in his 30's. I think he's still a Nam vet.

Elektra also does not care about age as she also has a history with Wolverine.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Unless I missed something big, he is indeed still a Vietnam vet. It's integral to his character due to the nature of the conflict. His most recent rejuvenation was when Daken killed him, Morbius stitched him back together into Franken-castle, and the Bloodstone regenerated him on Monster Island. Poof, Frank's young in body and has all his ribs again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BexGu posted:

Wait, how old is Castle suppose to be now? Iraq war vet? Vietnam vet?

Seal Team Six.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The perspective work is so bad on that cover. :psyduck:

3 cardboard cutouts of superheroes showed up to give that kid a present.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

I thought Greg Rucka went ahead and moved him up to Desert Storm in his most recent series. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Also to contribute, it's Christmas Eve!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Avengers 24.NOW

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You'd think Thor would be more disgusted by the mere existence of veggie burgers than a hot dog, even if hot dogs have questionable ingredients.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

I thought Greg Rucka went ahead and moved him up to Desert Storm in his most recent series. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think he moved him up even more than that and made him an Afghan war veteran. It's up in the air whether any other writer is going to pick that up. Lord knows no one's gonna touch Lady Punisher again.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

X-Men Christmas

source

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 24, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I love that Storm is written like cartoon Storm.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TwoPair posted:

You'd think Thor would be more disgusted by the mere existence of veggie burgers than a hot dog, even if hot dogs have questionable ingredients.
He respects dietary restrictions, but not willful consumption of questionable meat.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dacap posted:

Avengers 24.NOW

I know Thor's disgusted face is supposed to be over the fact that Smasher and Cannonball are ordering Hot Dogs. But I prefer to think he's actually disgusted at how new a couple they are, and how it comes across that Cannonball is JUST ordering a Hot Dog because his girlfriend has ordered one, and not because he actually wants one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I know Thor's disgusted face is supposed to be over the fact that Smasher and Cannonball are ordering Hot Dogs. But I prefer to think he's actually disgusted at how new a couple they are, and how it comes across that Cannonball is JUST ordering a Hot Dog because his girlfriend has ordered one, and not because he actually wants one.

I thought he was mad because his head had been separated from the rest of his body and been sent to some kind of featureless dimension.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was reading about how Santa is portrayed in the Marvel and DC universes and came across this gem.

source

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Uthor posted:

I was reading about how Santa is portrayed in the Marvel and DC universes and came across this gem.

source

That's fantastic. I just wish I still had a copy of the Dredd short where Santa tangles with Mega City One's air defences, that is hands down the greatest christmas story ever told. :v:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Waterhaul posted:

X-Men Christmas

source

Damnit I just woke up my dogs by laughing to this. I wish this was a real series.

I lost it when Jean tells Scott to save the receipts.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

From Marvel What The–?! #10

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Pilchenstein posted:

That's fantastic. I just wish I still had a copy of the Dredd short where Santa tangles with Mega City One's air defences, that is hands down the greatest christmas story ever told. :v:

This one?

Judge Dredd Megazine 2.62.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Uthor posted:

source

Santa as a hero to New Genesis.

Wonder if Orion's constantly saluting during Christmas?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

This one?

Judge Dredd Megazine 2.62.

That's the one! I don't suppose you have the rest of it?

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

Damnit I just woke up my dogs by laughing to this. I wish this was a real series.

I lost it when Jean tells Scott to save the receipts.

I don't know if you knew, but if you click the source link it has links to 5 other comics he's done with Scott & Jean.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lurdiak posted:

I think he moved him up even more than that and made him an Afghan war veteran. It's up in the air whether any other writer is going to pick that up. Lord knows no one's gonna touch Lady Punisher again.

Yeah, Rucka's run was great and then Marvel decided to flat out ignore it, which is pretty much what caused him to leave the Big Two altogether.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Pretty much every Punisher run gets ignored. Remender had a pretty decent run but do you think we'll ever see that young, tech savvy son-of-Jigsaw kid from that series ever again?

Fraction's run had some weird poo poo in it and while it went for a long time (for a non-MAX punisher series), it didn't really gel with me because it seemed too...light-hearted and humorous for a Punisher series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Pretty much every Punisher run gets ignored.

That's a large part of why he left the big two as a whole most of his work will get ignored or retconed and he just got fed up with it. Punisher was the last straw because they undid it before he was even finished.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

That's a large part of why he left the big two as a whole most of his work will get ignored or retconed and he just got fed up with it. Punisher was the last straw because they undid it before he was even finished.

That's pretty frustrating as his finale left Frank in a Stark designed mega prison and then BOOM he's over in Thunderbolts like nothing happened.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rhyno posted:

That's pretty frustrating as his finale left Frank in a Stark designed mega prison and then BOOM he's over in Thunderbolts like nothing happened.

In prison? With normals or with other supervillains?

For some reason I now have this image of everyone being fairly concerned that he doesn't start knocking off supervillains given the opportunity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bloodly posted:

In prison? With normals or with other supervillains?

For some reason I now have this image of everyone being fairly concerned that he doesn't start knocking off supervillains given the opportunity.

No it was a private prison Tony built just to hold Frank.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fishylungs posted:

I don't know if you knew, but if you click the source link it has links to 5 other comics he's done with Scott & Jean.

drat, those were all great, too. Thanks for mentioning it. Jean Grey is the worst.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Appros of nothing, it's time for JLA / WildC.A.T.S by Grant Morrison. The teams are having a misunderstanding sort of battle, and Batman and Grifter face off...

... and then there's the villain's comeuppance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The only reason that finale happened was because they told him Frank needed to be in the T-bolts, which meant he had to get arrested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

The only reason that finale happened was because they told him Frank needed to be in the T-bolts, which meant he had to get arrested.

Except that it doesn't line up with the first issue if Tbolts at all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Appros of nothing, it's time for JLA / WildC.A.T.S by Grant Morrison. The teams are having a misunderstanding sort of battle, and Batman and Grifter face off...

... and then there's the villain's comeuppance.

I finally got my final Morrison JLA collection with this story in it, it's great. But it is funny just how many stories in his run are solved by "Not The Justice League" being around when the villain attacks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Except that it doesn't line up with the first issue if Tbolts at all.

They don't show Ross getting Frank out of jail, but it's an easy enough assumption to make. Deadpool also doesn't have a lady stuck in his head and isn't super depressed. Or maybe he does, I don't know, I dropped Tbolts after the first two issues.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I finally got my final Morrison JLA collection with this story in it, it's great. But it is funny just how many stories in his run are solved by "Not The Justice League" being around when the villain attacks.

Yeah, Morrison has a thing of villains that have planned everything until once the unplanned olive falls off the loaf. "That olive! My calculations ever included that olive!"

And then there was the time Liefeld did a Christmas story, from the Awesome Holiday Special #1. (There was never a #2.)

Her name is Spice because... uh... it's a Holiday Special shut up I guess.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Even fake Captain America has man-boobs

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Is Girl Bucky supposed to be a cyborg? Like Inspector Gadget?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

How did he get away with characters that are such thinly veiled ripoffs? When a book like The Boys does it I imagine they're allowed because its satire, but this looks like it's played straight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dacap posted:

How did he get away with characters that are such thinly veiled ripoffs? When a book like The Boys does it I imagine they're allowed because its satire, but this looks like it's played straight.

He got sued.

Wikipedia posted:

A two-issue miniseries (August–October 1997) from Awesome Entertainment, written by Rob Liefeld (story) and Jeph Loeb (script), and penciled by Liefeld and Stephen Platt, had originally been produced for the "Heroes Reborn" version of Captain America for Marvel Comics.[12] Here, Fighting American was a retired superhero coping with the death of his partner. The miniseries came about, Liefeld said in 2007, while he was packaging a Captain America series for Marvel. In early 1997, the company, which had filed for bankruptcy, asked Liefeld to accept lower payment for his studio's work. He refused and was removed from the series. Liefeld called Fighting American co-creator Joe Simon and Roz Kirby, widow of co-creator Jack Kirby, who agreed to license the character to him, but at a price Liefeld would not accept. Liefeld created the similar character Agent America, drawing "maybe three pinups and one poster image", but withdrew the character, he said, when Simon threatened to sue. Liefeld negotiated a new deal for Fighting American, but was then sued by Marvel. During the course of the trial, he said, his version of Fighting American acquired a shield. As one of the terms of the settlement, however, Fighting American was forbidden from throwing his shield like a weapon, to distinguish him from Captain America.[13]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

Is Girl Bucky supposed to be a cyborg? Like Inspector Gadget?

Yeah, even though she looks a lot like Liefeld's version of Bucky.

Dacap posted:

How did he get away with characters that are such thinly veiled ripoffs?

"Homages" are pretty much endemic to comic books, and the Big Two have just been really lenient, which is good when it gives us stuff like Jack Staff, but not so good when we get Fighting American. It's how Marvel can do Squadron Supreme and the like.

That being said, Liefeld stepped over even that thin line. It's important to note that Youngblood was repurposed from a Titans proposal he had done, so originality had never really been a concern of Rob's when it came to his creator-owned work.

• Locked thread