Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

goodness posted:

This is also true. How does the signing thing work? Will I be able to just upgrade to 7.0 when the jailbreak is good or?

Hopefully a lot of Apple is on holiday break. You've probably got a few weeks until 7.1, unless this mess pushes their hand for some reason.

I'm all for just waiting for the bug fixes 7.1 brings and hoping to JB that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

This is also true. How does the signing thing work? Will I be able to just upgrade to 7.0 when the jailbreak is good or?

If you're not even on 7.* yet you may want to consider upgrading now, just in case Apple takes some measures against the jailbreak (though you will likely have some small window to get 7.0.4 if they did). Other devs have said an iOS 6 jailbreak will be coming "soon" if you just want to stick with that, though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

spongeworthy posted:

If you're not even on 7.* yet you may want to consider upgrading now, just in case Apple takes some measures against the jailbreak (though you will likely have some small window to get 7.0.4 if they did). Other devs have said an iOS 6 jailbreak will be coming "soon" if you just want to stick with that, though.

That is what I am trying to decide, if I should get os7 jailbreak or os6. Do you think most of the stuff will be updated to 7? I specifically would want something that can take away delay for the actions.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Many packages will be updated for iOS 7 in the coming months, yes, but even in the best of times for old JBs without any negative stigma attached to them we had to wait weeks for many. It depends if the developer is still interested in jailbreaking, and if not, if someone else will replicate the functionality.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

Yeah just set your locale to the right language and it totally wont install the super shady, completely unannounced and unvetted pirated app store. Just because this jailbreak is bundled with obfuscated code written by literal criminals who paid a massive amount of money to have their mysterious poo poo included doesn't mean you shouldn't trust it or anything. You paranoid goons have it all wrong.

This is a good summary.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

goodness posted:

That is what I am trying to decide, if I should get os7 jailbreak or os6. Do you think most of the stuff will be updated to 7? I specifically would want something that can take away delay for the actions.

That can be done on iOS 6 JB.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

cisneros posted:

That can be done on iOS 6 JB.

Right, that is where I heard about it first. Is it a major app, most likely to be ported to 7?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

Right, that is where I heard about it first. Is it a major app, most likely to be ported to 7?

You just want to speed up animations? You can use FakeClockUp or Accelerate, and at least one of those is bound to be ported to iOS 7.

e: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/22/ios-7-compatible-tweaks/

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 23, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

You just want to speed up animations? You can use FakeClockUp or Accelerate, and at least one of those is bound to be ported to iOS 7.

e: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/12/22/ios-7-compatible-tweaks/

Ok thanks!

Looks like the Default Chinese App store thing is now disable by default, so it looks like they are actually trying to make this better.

Pretty tempted to upgrade to 7 now.

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 23, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

Ok thanks!

Looks like the Default Chinese App store thing is now disable by default, so it looks like they are actually trying to make this better.

Pretty tempted to upgrade to 7 now.

What phone are you using? I'd definitely upgrade to 7 but hold off on the JB for another day or so. I only upgraded to 7 about three weeks ago. I was pretty sour on it since the beta days but I really enjoy it now, aside from a few nitpicky things.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

spongeworthy posted:

What phone are you using? I'd definitely upgrade to 7 but hold off on the JB for another day or so. I only upgraded to 7 about three weeks ago. I was pretty sour on it since the beta days but I really enjoy it now, aside from a few nitpicky things.

I am on a 5. I was holding with 6.1.4 since the JB could have come out earlier, but looks like 7 is first.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

goodness posted:

I am on a 5. I was holding with 6.1.4 since the JB could have come out earlier, but looks like 7 is first.

@ih8sn0w is now saying Christmas Day for the A5+ iOS6 JB.

vvv if you JB iOS 6 you'll find almost everything you want will work, whereas with iOS 7 you're going to wait a while. Curious, have you been jailbroken before?

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 23, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Such a hard choice.

Anyone have a pros/cons list for JB os6 vs os7?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pro
-not a shady as gently caress "enhanced" Chinese jail break

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

NOTinuyasha posted:

Yeah just set your locale to the right language and it totally wont install the super shady, completely unannounced and unvetted pirated app store. Just because this jailbreak is bundled with obfuscated code written by literal criminals who paid a massive amount of money to have their mysterious poo poo included doesn't mean you shouldn't trust it or anything. You paranoid goons have it all wrong.

Once again, not a shred of actual evidence that this jailbreak does anything shady, especially when the language is not set to Chinese. Have any of you railing against the jailbreak considered that the story that they're giving us -- a Chinese company wanted to get their app store in for Chinese users with no malicious intent (other than perhaps getting ahead of their competition) -- is actually real? Just because they're Chinese doesn't instantly mean they're horrible criminals trying to steal every last lick of data from everyone everywhere. There hasn't been any evidence that these guys are criminals either, just more internet conjecture from the righteous, reactionary outrage of the infantile jailbreak community.

Also, here's a dude that's been analyzing running processes and network traffic after jailbreaking with the language set to English and he hasn't found anything shady:
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tih0w/im_investigating_evasi0n7_for_myself/

Also also, Saurik (the Cydia developer) has recommended installing the jailbreak.

Also also also, Evasion removed the Chinese app from the jailbreak.

If someone comes up with actual evidence that this jailbreak does something bad I will eat all of these words. Until then, there's not really anything to say.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I've only ever jailbroken an old iPod touch that I just used for music and random web browsing. What's the best way to backup all the data on my iPhone if and when I decide to jailbreak?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SaucyLoggins posted:

I've only ever jailbroken an old iPod touch that I just used for music and random web browsing. What's the best way to backup all the data on my iPhone if and when I decide to jailbreak?

itunes

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Will updated substrate and cydia come through an OTA style update or will I need my computer to get that on? I'm out of town for the week.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Saurik has stated that there will most likely need to be an updated version of Evasi0n before mobilesubstrate can be truly fixed.

He's a pretty smart guy though, and it wouldn't surprise me if any patch to Evasi0n could be done straight from Cydia.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

GuyGizmo posted:

Once again, not a shred of actual evidence that this jailbreak does anything shady, especially when the language is not set to Chinese. Have any of you railing against the jailbreak considered that the story that they're giving us -- a Chinese company wanted to get their app store in for Chinese users with no malicious intent (other than perhaps getting ahead of their competition) -- is actually real? Just because they're Chinese doesn't instantly mean they're horrible criminals trying to steal every last lick of data from everyone everywhere. There hasn't been any evidence that these guys are criminals either, just more internet conjecture from the righteous, reactionary outrage of the infantile jailbreak community.

Also, here's a dude that's been analyzing running processes and network traffic after jailbreaking with the language set to English and he hasn't found anything shady:
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tih0w/im_investigating_evasi0n7_for_myself/

Also also, Saurik (the Cydia developer) has recommended installing the jailbreak.

Also also also, Evasion removed the Chinese app from the jailbreak.

If someone comes up with actual evidence that this jailbreak does something bad I will eat all of these words. Until then, there's not really anything to say.

Many people are just being cautious and giving their reasons why -- nothing wrong with that. That said, for the reasons you've listed above and talks with other interested parties I'm starting to warm up to the jailbreak and am now more confident that it's fine to install.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If I've got an iPhone 4S running jailbroken 6.1.2, do I just install the updated iOS then run the 7 jailbreak? I saw it said to wipe it in the OP but it's since been scored out.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I went from GSM Iphone 5 on JB 6.12 to 7.04 via Itunes, then jailbroke with the evasion tool. I skipped it yesterday due to all the drama, but went ahead and went for it today in case Apple does something crazy to close the hole. The entire update was painless.

Haven't installed any tweaks yet, just going to wait till they work out the mobile substrate stuff.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Anjow posted:

If I've got an iPhone 4S running jailbroken 6.1.2, do I just install the updated iOS then run the 7 jailbreak? I saw it said to wipe it in the OP but it's since been scored out.

It's always safest to back up, do a factory restore from iTunes with the new version (which wipes everything completely), and then restore. Apple doesn't test their upgrade process on jailbroken devices for obvious reasons, and the jailbreak crews typically assume (and bug check for) a stock OS install. Upgrading in-place is asking for trouble in a couple of different places.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I feel a bit foolish for holding out on 7 for as long as I had. The only things I'm missing are so personal and unique that after only a day I'm not really too upset about it. I miss SwipeBright, my Ubuntu font, and maybe one or two other tweaks I use and notice lacking.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
geohot looks into the jailbreak: http://geohot.com/e7writeup.html and concludes " I found nothing sketchy in my reversing, your phones most likely aren't being backdoored by Chinese."

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So it appears that we're doing a 180 again and saying that it's ok to jailbreak with evasion7

-Saurik and Geohot both have taken a look at the software and both have given the thumbs up.
-The weird costa rican IP actually resolves to the evader's website
-The guy who claimed that it was uploading data to some Chinese website has recanted and apologized.
-There are a few people who've run packet sniffers after install and found only a few DNS requests but no uploads.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 24, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The only people doing a 180 were the idiots that were insistent that the jailbreak was installing malware without a shred of evidence to support it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I mean this whole relationship is based on trust towards internet strangers. You're intentionally downloading a program meant to bypass your device's security features so it's completely understandable to caution hesitation based on just the appearance of impropriety. It does look like it's legit but I'm glad there's a system for throwing up alarm bells, even if they got over-hysterical.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The mere thought that a team of developers worked for months to find the exploits suitable to create a working jailbreak, only to turn around and use that jailbreak to install malware on the phones of only a small percentage of users is just incredibly far fetched.

Especially far fetched when you could just do what everyone else does: spend a week developing a free Android game or utility that key logs, steals screen, video, or microphone data, and that can exist on the Play store for weeks and works just fine on unrooted, stock Android devices.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobfather posted:

The mere thought that a team of developers worked for months to find the exploits suitable to create a working jailbreak, only to turn around and use that jailbreak to install malware on the phones of only a small percentage of users is just incredibly far fetched.

Especially far fetched when you could just do what everyone else does: spend a week developing a free Android game or utility that key logs, steals screen, video, or microphone data, and that can exist on the Play store for weeks and works just fine on unrooted, stock Android devices.

I'm not claiming that I believe or don't believe in any maliciousness, but your supposition lacks a key bit.

Surely, a dev team who spends months or years working hard to jailbreak your phone would not likely do anything untoward to destroy their rep or their work.

However, it's not them that supposedly did the bad act. It was (allegedly) a shady chinese company.

Now, a dev team who spends months or years working hard on a legit jailbreak all the sudden just "going with the flow and handing over their work" when offered a large pile of money is a lot more likely... Or at least more plausible, anyway...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bouchacha posted:

I mean this whole relationship is based on trust towards internet strangers. You're intentionally downloading a program meant to bypass your device's security features so it's completely understandable to caution hesitation based on just the appearance of impropriety. It does look like it's legit but I'm glad there's a system for throwing up alarm bells, even if they got over-hysterical.

This.

Doesn't hurt to wait a few days for the smoke to clear.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Feenix posted:

However, it's not them that supposedly did the bad act. It was (allegedly) a shady chinese company.

It's not an 'allegedly' shady company, it's an app store that sells nothing but pirated crap. Saurik and everyone else who's actually checked it has confirmed this. Why do you think they paid a million bucks to to get it bundled? To get in on those sweet AdBlock sales?

GuyGizmo posted:

Just because they're Chinese doesn't instantly mean they're horrible criminals trying to steal every last lick of data from everyone everywhere.

Here we go, peak thread right here. If you don't trust this jailbreak, you're racist.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

It's always safest to back up, do a factory restore from iTunes with the new version (which wipes everything completely), and then restore. Apple doesn't test their upgrade process on jailbroken devices for obvious reasons, and the jailbreak crews typically assume (and bug check for) a stock OS install. Upgrading in-place is asking for trouble in a couple of different places.

Do you still need to do this if you're upgrading a regular, non jailbroken ios? I got an iPad 4 a few months ago on 6.1.3 and held off upgrading it waiting for a jailbreak. Seeing as this jailbreak is looking more and more legit, can i just upgrade to the latest ios version and then jailbreak, or should I go through the whole, backup-reset-restore thing as well?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I don't think you need to reset anything. I made a backup and updated through iTunes before jailbreaking.

Not to just do the same with my iPad.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

bobfather posted:

The only people doing a 180 were the idiots that were insistent that the jailbreak was installing malware without a shred of evidence to support it.

The problem is that the jailbreak community by its very nature is very anti-establishment. When they find out the very people providing them the jailbreak have sold out and possibly compromised the integrity of the community...well, you saw what happened. Twas a far cry from healthy skepticism.

For me, I am not one of the crusaders - I just like cool tweaks that let me sperg-out and use my device more effectively than I would be able to otherwise. So I'm just hoping this shenanigans doesn't hurt the community in the long haul, as many people were already having trouble finding reasons to jailbreak.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

spongeworthy posted:

Many people are just being cautious and giving their reasons why -- nothing wrong with that. That said, for the reasons you've listed above and talks with other interested parties I'm starting to warm up to the jailbreak and am now more confident that it's fine to install.

There's being cautious and then there's this

NOTinuyasha posted:

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Dodoman posted:

There's being cautious and then there's this

Besides being a little emotionally charged, his description documents exactly what happened. Others above me have pointed out why people justifiably felt deceived.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hey whoa ios 7 jailbreak. This is pretty slick!

I use an iPad so whatever. Let the chinese hack their way into my porn machine.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
P much this ^^^

But yeah, very slick. Really loving f.lux in my 5. Also extremely surprised that XBMC Wizard Hub works on ios7 this early into the Jailbreak life. Now for Rpetri to release his Control Centre tweak and all will be good in the world :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I finally went to 7.0.4 last night and did the JB, but for some reason things keep getting messed up. Things will work for a little while, then all of a sudden just not work.

Example: I added FakeClockUp, it worked fine. Then a I added a few more tweaks from that one List of compatible apps, and all of a sudden they just don't show up in Settings (even FakeClockUp). I went into Cydia and started removing things one by one, but still nothing. I've had to restore a few times, maybe I will just wait for a better release.

When you all do your JB (and upgrade), do you restore as a 100% new phone or use a backup? If the former, how do you recoup your contacts?

• Locked thread