Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

delirious pancake posted:

Okay, someone is going to have to explain to me what this is about (I didn't watch ER). Right now it sounds like some guy had a few flings with a sentient helicopter, Jay Jay the Jet Plane-style. :psyduck:

An rear end in a top hat surgeon first had his arm chopped off by a helicopter. Then a couple of seasons later a helicopter fell on him. It was the same actor that got acid sprayed all over them and hit by a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh-kw3DOIgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFcBVAwYXes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

bobkatt013 posted:

An rear end in a top hat surgeon first had his arm chopped off by a helicopter. Then a couple of seasons later a helicopter fell on him. It was the same actor that got acid sprayed all over them and hit by a car.

Okay so I admit maybe when I was much younger I used to watch ER with my parents - so like the mid to late 90s - but I do not know this poo poo happened. This poo poo for real? (I can maybe believe none of that should happen except for the sake of shock value, so wtf?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Okay so I admit maybe when I was much younger I used to watch ER with my parents - so like the mid to late 90s - but I do not know this poo poo happened. This poo poo for real? (I can maybe believe none of that should happen except for the sake of shock value, so wtf?)

I am sorry I forgot to finish the sentence as it was robocop that he got sprayed by acid and hit by a car.
As for the helicopter it did happen and it was amazing.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
That dude had no luck with helicopters.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh-kw3DOIgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFcBVAwYXes

I'm disappointed that there was no shot of the helicopter outside a window stalking him before finally taking him out.

Also I'm watching the pilot of The X-Files and like 4 minutes I already have a serious problem with this show. Scully thinks the structural formula of a generic tripeptide is a "synthetic" protein? How does she know it's synthetic!!! Also, why is finding an unspecified tripeptide in human tissue worth noting? None of this makes any sense! I give The X-Files, as a whole, an F-. Terrible show.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm disappointed that there was no shot of the helicopter outside a window stalking him before finally taking him out.

No but i've just remembered that he first went to the roof and saw the helicopter about to take off, then overcome by panic from seeing a helicopter again he went straight to the ground floor and ran outside to get some air, which was the exact moment the helicopter decided to fall directly on top of him.

e: Ah just noticed the clips linked right there

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 24, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

No but i've just remembered that he first went to the roof and saw the helicopter about to take off, then overcome by panic from seeing a helicopter again he went straight to the ground floor and ran outside to get some air, which was the exact moment the helicopter decided to fall directly on top of him.

The best part is how the helicopter seems to be getting closer and closer to him as stalking him. Those clips are so great, and ER was amazing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The best part is how the helicopter seems to be getting closer and closer to him as stalking him. Those clips are so great, and ER was amazing.

Yeah, I remember another episode in that same season where a mad patient goes and steals a tank and rampages through the streets of Chicago, trying to get to the hospital to kill Dr Morris, it was a dangerous place to work that's for sure.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The X-Files ScienceWatch: Scully, whose undergraduate degree was in physics, just said that time is "a universal invariant". :argh:

But seriously, this is really good for a pilot. I was expecting it to be a bit more dated and cheesy, but other than a little hammy acting this holds up surprisingly well. Certainly holds up better than the Millennium pilot, although the latter features both a White Zombie and a Nine Inch Nails song so maybe the deck was stacked against it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The X-Files ScienceWatch: Scully, whose undergraduate degree was in physics, just said that time is "a universal invariant". :argh:

But seriously, this is really good for a pilot. I was expecting it to be a bit more dated and cheesy, but other than a little hammy acting this holds up surprisingly well. Certainly holds up better than the Millennium pilot, although the latter features both a White Zombie and a Nine Inch Nails song so maybe the deck was stacked against it.

I'm watching X-Files too right now (almost done with season 3) and I'm still surprised how good it is. Scully and Mulder have amazing chemistry, the monster of the week cases are great (especially the weirder cases that gently caress with the formula like Syzygy or that weirdass comedy episode with the freakshow) and the cinematography is surprisingly beautiful. They really make the terrible 90's TV quality work. And don't get me started on that score again :allears:.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 24, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also started watching X-Files. I'm on episode 5 and it's surprisingly not that dated except for the oversized suits. I just hope they stop filming in that same forest over and over.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I also started watching X-Files. I'm on episode 5 and it's surprisingly not that dated except for the oversized suits. I just hope they stop filming in that same forest over and over.

They move to California eventually. Unfortunately, that coincides with a decline in general quality.

But yeah, can't believe it wasn't included in the best network show discussion earlier.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Merry Almost Christmas you bunch of TV watching nerds! Anything good on tonight?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haven't seen much discussion of it around here but this season of Eagleheart is probably one of the strangest TV shows ever. Last week's episode had Joe Estevez pretending to be Martin Sheen playing Joe Estevez pretending to be Martin Sheen with the ability to put his soul into other people's bodies when he dies.

Also the episode had a subplot where it turns out that fedoras are just parasitic ocean creatures that when they attach themselves to a person it turns them into a real douchebag.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

Merry Almost Christmas you bunch of TV watching nerds! Anything good on tonight?

The Patrick Stewart rendition of A Christmas Carol is on Ovation tonight at 8 ET. It's great, you should watch it.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 24, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Wandle Cax posted:

That's right, and he lasted a whole season and a half before his next encounter with the helicopter. It was still a good show after then and until it ended but in its prime ER was excellent television. Definitely the best TV medical drama ever.

I watched all of ER in the last year and while I will readily agree that it was excellent in it's prime fading to merely good later, it was already decidedly ropey by season eight. Seasons nine and ten were some of the worst television I have ever seen. The only tolerable parts of ten were ones with cameos from the original cast.

It was the same pattern as with Third Watch, but at a much accelerated pace and from a higher level of starting quality. The plots became predictable and sensationalist, so ratings fell away. The response designed to boost ratings was to make the plots even more predictable, nonsensical, and sensational. Add to that a wave of new characters who were 'edgy' and 'extreme' (to replace solidly acted and developed characters who'd been around for the best part of a decade) and you ended up with an ouroboros of poo poo. A televisual human-centipede.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

Haven't seen much discussion of it around here but this season of Eagleheart is probably one of the strangest TV shows ever. Last week's episode had Joe Estevez pretending to be Martin Sheen playing Joe Estevez pretending to be Martin Sheen with the ability to put his soul into other people's bodies when he dies.

Also the episode had a subplot where it turns out that fedoras are just parasitic ocean creatures that when they attach themselves to a person it turns them into a real douchebag.

RAT-A-TAT-TAT BOOM BOOM BABY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eagleheart did a Soultaker parody? Well I've got to see that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing disappointing about this season of Eagleheart is the lack of Brett Gelman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

The only thing disappointing about this season of Eagleheart is the lack of Brett Gelman.

Wait. What happened? I might have to boycott this show now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Him not being around is kind of the big plot point of the season but the way the plot is going he's going to be back eventually.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Good news everybody! Lady Gaga and The Muppets Christmas Rigamarole is now available on Netflix streaming! Its the trainwreck no one's talking about! Featuring guest appearances by Kristen Bell, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Dame Judi Dench! Watch as a once-talented pop star limps her way to irrelevance! Thrill as the Muppets prove once again that they should have been buried with Jim Henson! Marvel as a wig the size of a St. Bernard manages to stay in place despite being soaked in flop sweat! All on Lady Gaga and The Muppets Christmas Rigamarole!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well I think that's just a little unduly- (sees poster name) never mind.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Ok, this is weird. I just grabbed hold of a couple of seasons of Breaking Bad. Nice show, really good. Didn't want to start watching a series before it ended though, so I was a bit late. But the intro texts bugs me out, how come I know exactly every element shown with the periodic table cells superimposed on the names? Like, I don't even read the characters, I see the actual names! I did chemistry (poorly) 20 years ago, and I promise you I don't have the memory for that kind of stuff. Hell, I'm glad to just find the way to my apartment at the end of the day. But here we go, Cobalt, Lanthanum, Erbium, Tellurium...

I'm not cut out for the crack businesses!

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 25, 2013

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well I think that's just a little unduly- (sees poster name) never mind.

He's right about all of it though, except the last Muppet's movie was a brief reprieve from the slow rot that has over taken them.

The sequel film looks about as pleasant as GBS 2.0.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Merry Christmas to TVIV from God's True Timezone :unsmith:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

Merry Christmas to TVIV from God's True Timezone :unsmith:

I didn't know you were from England Rarity?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Good news everybody! Lady Gaga and The Muppets Christmas Rigamarole is now available on Netflix streaming! Its the trainwreck no one's talking about! Featuring guest appearances by Kristen Bell, Joseph Gordon Levitt and Dame Judi Dench! Watch as a once-talented pop star limps her way to irrelevance! Thrill as the Muppets prove once again that they should have been buried with Jim Henson! Marvel as a wig the size of a St. Bernard manages to stay in place despite being soaked in flop sweat! All on Lady Gaga and The Muppets Christmas Rigamarole!

oh, "once-talented" huh :allears: tell me more

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The sequel film looks about as pleasant as GBS 2.0.

Finally, something you and I agree on! (The shittiness of nuGBS)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't know you were from England Rarity?

You really must not be paying attention.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

You really must not be paying attention.

I'm from England too, so I tend to miss references until one of them sinks in.

Also these days if someone is talking about a show like Misfits or Doctor Who I just assume they watched them online.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Finally, something you and I agree on! (The shittiness of nuGBS)

We both agree my AV is cool. :hfive:

Also I rewatched Pacific Rim the other day and liked it a lot more than I did in the cinema, I kind of feel like a small screen benefited the visuals as counter intuitive as that would usually sound, so.....

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 25, 2013

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I've started watching Farscape, and four episodes in, I like it quite a lot. Clearly it's borrowed a LOT from Star Trek, but it's so much more fun. Plus, puppet creatures! Rygel is just the loving best. :allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Spatula City posted:

I've started watching Farscape, and four episodes in, I like it quite a lot. Clearly it's borrowed a LOT from Star Trek, but it's so much more fun. Plus, puppet creatures! Rygel is just the loving best. :allears:

Farscape is the best science fiction series ever made for American television, though its a close competition between that and Stargate.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

PriorMarcus posted:

Farscape is the best science fiction series ever made for American television

Nope, this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YX3GEMLy24

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Farscape is the best science fiction series ever made for American television, though its a close competition between that and Stargate.

Oh, frak you.

BSG supremacy forever y'all

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If Fringe had maintained the quality of it's first two seasons then maybe, but as it is it has more bad than good.

EDIT: Same argument against BSG too, sorry man.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I turned off Farscape when I heard the awful intro music.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Oh, frak you.

BSG supremacy forever y'all

The cylons have a plan. Yep they sure do. What is it? Shut up!

Also the ending retroactively ruined the rest of the show for me :colbert: It is still pretty good, but knowing that it leads to that finale bums me out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Speaking of scifi from the 90s/early 00s, a few nights ago I got around to watching the Total Recall 2070s two-parter premiere from the late 90s and was sort of surprised how much I actually liked it. It's not 'great', but it feels like they really wanted to do something ambitious with it but feels mostly held back by the performances.

Since it was a show that I pretty much ignored for the last dozen years and had a preconceived bad impression of, I'm thinking about doing a full Hulu watch of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
There was never a bad episode of BSG. They ranged from "Eh, that wasn't great" to sublime.

• Locked thread