Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

It's like when you hear these GOPshitthatdidnthappen.txt stories and confront it with facts or disprove whatever, the response is always "Well it was just a nice story" or something similar.

"That wasn't intended to be a factual statement"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Levantine posted:

It's like when you hear these GOPshitthatdidnthappen.txt stories and confront it with facts or disprove whatever, the response is always "Well it was just a nice story" or something similar.

It's actually worse. When something is disproved, the one I hear most often is "Yeah, but you can bet they do stuff like that all of the time". It shift the burden of proof entirely. Now you have to prove that those drat liberals/hispanics/immigrants/african-americans never did anything in bad faith.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

RetroHelix posted:

In the least surprising development in the history of the universe, Sarah Palin didn't read the GQ interview she defended:

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/sarah-palin-duck-dynasty-interview-101500.html
It's a frickin' article. It takes like a couple minutes to read. That's too much trouble, you'd rather make an rear end out of yourself again?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I don't think it's exactly sexist to say Sarah spends a lot of time in hair and makeup, TV people just do that. And I mean have you seen her hair? Those blowouts don't happen instantaneously. :gay:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lycus posted:

It's a frickin' article. It takes like a couple minutes to read. That's too much trouble, you'd rather make an rear end out of yourself again?
She didn't even read the excerpts that were posted everywhere, which is far worse.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I don't think it's exactly sexist to say Sarah spends a lot of time in hair and makeup, TV people just do that. And I mean have you seen her hair? Those blowouts don't happen instantaneously. :gay:

I think it's entirely irrelevant how long she spends on her hair or makeup. TV people may do it, but nobody's brought up how long O'Reilly or whomever spent on his hair or makeup.

It is in fact sexist to bring up the hair and makeup of a woman as some sort of teardown when you could alternatively focus on poo poo that matters (like her being an evil shill for a world perspective that seeks to destroy anything outside its narrow bounds)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

She only reads memos written directly onto her hand.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm shocked at how many people here assumed she reads any of the articles she defends, someone just asked her about it this time. I mean have you seen the non ghost written poo poo she posts? Ever seen her take on a question that has any sort of substance at all live?

I don't really blame her, she knows exactly what the people giving her money want and it doesn't require you to know much at all.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 24, 2013

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Levantine posted:

That's the thing - there is no shame in being wrong for these people. What matters is she took a swing for her team and win or lose, she's a good guy. It's pandering to idiots, for idiots. There are no consequences for what the Right does. Credibility does not matter to them and it's maddening.

Sephyr posted:

It's actually worse. When something is disproved, the one I hear most often is "Yeah, but you can bet they do stuff like that all of the time". It shift the burden of proof entirely. Now you have to prove that those drat liberals/hispanics/immigrants/african-americans never did anything in bad faith.

This is why we have such a hard time arguing with these people. People who post on D&D are used to debating in good faith using logic, facts, and figures while trying to avoid outright hypocrisy at all costs, because in our minds you win an argument by building an airtight case and boxing them in until they can't logically argue their way out of it.

On the other hand, right-wingers seem to think that the argument is won when you get the last word in and the other guy throws his hands up in exasperation. A point I heard some blogger (might have been Digby) mention on a recent podcast is that the right has basically retired the concept of hypocrisy, and using it against them is pointless. They absolutely don't care whether they're being hypocritical, logically inconsistent, or flat-out factually wrong when they're arguing with you.

It's like trying to play a chess game with somebody while they're kicking you in the shins under the table. Eventually you'll say "gently caress this" and leave, and they chalk it up as a win by forfeit.

Edit: This sort of explains why Palin thinks it's OK to tweet nonstop and go on TV interviews discussing a magazine article that she couldn't even be bothered to read. What's the point of reading it? You're on Fox News, which is friendly territory where nobody actually cares if you're factually correct or not as long as you're telling the viewers what they want to hear. Being called out as factually lazy by liberals has absolutely no real-world consequences for her.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's still pretty annoying. She spends the better part of a week defending a guy that said homosexuality is akin to bestiality and that as a rich white man in the south he has the authority to say black people were happier before the civil rights movement to get her persecuted conservative points. Then when it becomes clear that she is on the wrong side of this (and on the side of bigots and white supremacists) she just has to say she didn't know what he was actually saying and no one will call her on it outside of liberal blogs and such. You have a side that straight up admits it has no idea what it is talking about and being willfully disingenuous and it doesn't matter, that voice is just as valid as someone that has spend years studying a topic. It's serioulsy wrong and I think it's a huge problem that is going to bite us in the rear end even more since I don't see how to stop it. How do you run a country when one side is living is a literal fantasy land and gets incredibly angry and vindictive when that illusion is questioned?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 24, 2013

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I used to think Palin was intellectually challenged, but it appears she's actually just deliberately slothful. How much bloody effort does it take to read a 3-4 paragraph news article, especially when you're gonna go out as a public figure and make statements about it?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that's she's just a huge piece of poo poo grifter that would ally with the KKK or neo nazis if she thought she could make a dime off it. The only thing stopping her now is she can still make bucks just skirting that line.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

beatlegs posted:

I used to think Palin was intellectually challenged, but it appears she's actually just deliberately slothful. How much bloody effort does it take to read a 3-4 paragraph news article, especially when you're gonna go out as a public figure and make statements about it?

Why read it? Why even pretend to read it? If "I didn't read it" gets you out of hard questions and still lets you score points with your political base by defending a guy, why bother being prepared to handle details about the thing discussed?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

I used to think Palin was intellectually challenged, but it appears she's actually just deliberately slothful.

What do you mean "just"? She's both.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grondoth posted:

Why read it? Why even pretend to read it? If "I didn't read it" gets you out of hard questions and still lets you score points with your political base by defending a guy, why bother being prepared to handle details about the thing discussed?

Exactly. She could come out tomorrow and claim Mussolini was correct and maligned by history then in a week just say she thought he was just the good train guy oopsie! and it wouldn't even be a blip on the news. Being stupid and/or intellectually lazy is now a valid defense of any horrible opinion.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hearing how somebody feels about Sarah Palin is pretty much the fastest and most effective way to determine how little regard you should have for their opinion on anything.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The Far-Right believes that there's a worldwide war going on against whites.

I'm just letting you all know.

http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2013/12/home-invasion-gone-wrong-in-suburban.html

quote:

"Home Invasion Gone Wrong" in Suburban Indianapolis: Black Male a "Person of Interest" in Murder of White Mother and Daughter in 90 percent white Westfield

Black males invading the homes of white people in suburban Indianapolis has become something of a game in 2013.
"Person of Interest": black male sought in the murder of a white mother and daughter; a home invasion gone wrong in a 90 percent white suburb of Indianapolis

A game where people are dying, while a black police chief (once the president of the radical black police organization in Baltimore -- the Vanguard Justice Society -- an entity that has worked to make that police force for addressing imagine black grievances) lords over an increasingly black Indianapolis.

Two white men, James Vester and Robbie Gibson, gunned down in Indy by blacks in separate white privilege murders only days apart over the 2013 Thanksgiving weekend.

Now, in a thriving suburb of Indianapolis (a 90 percent white city and only 2.2 black), Westfield, two white women - a mother and her daughter - have been murdered in another home invasion.

A black male is a person of interest in the murder. [Police: Westfield house was invaded before homicides: Police search for person of interest, WishTV.com, 12-22-13]:

quote:

Westfield police say the double homicide that happened on Friday was a home invasion that occurred during the day.

Police say they did not find evidence of forced entry at first but have since determined it to be a robbery.

Police say both victims, mother Marylyn Erb, 52, and daughter Kelley Erb, 23, died from blunt force trauma. A relative arrived home, 15000 block of Oak Park Court, around 5 p.m. and found the two unresponsive.

quote:

A 2011 Maroon Buick Enclave was taken from the house and found a short distance away on East 161st Street.

Officials have identified a person of interest and released photos of that person.
"The police department has been working around the clock to find who is responsible for this and will continue to do so," says Mayor Andy Cook. "Residents should entrust that the police department and the city's primary goal is safe city and that hasn't changed. The evidence is being released to the public as quickly as it can be. I ask the city to be patient, but also diligent citizens and if they know anything to contact police."

"How can it happen here," you hear people say?

"Our town is so safe," you hear as well...
Another white victim (mother not pictured) in a nameless war; rest in peace Kelley

Because it has only white people who live there.

That we can't even say that is one reason the safety of any city in American can't be secured. [Westfield police seeking person of interest in murders, home invasion, CurrentinCarmel.com, 12-22-13]:

Westfield's Mayor Andy Cook said the police department had been working around the clock since Friday to find the person responsible for the murders. In a town recently named one of 2013's top 50 places to live in the country by CNN Money Magazine, the answers cannot come fast enough.

quote:

"It's amazing to think this could happen just minutes away from where you live," said 21-year-old John Sidery.

Sidery has just been home a week on Christmas break from college, but said he already feels like he came home to a different place.

"The Westfield I grew up in was always a very safe place and you never really hear of anything tragic and ill-intended like this was," explained Sidery.

The college junior said he wasn't looking forward to going back to school without answers, leaving his family behind.

"The fact that's this has happened once, doesn't mean it can't happen again and that's definitely going to play in my head the whole semester of college," said Sidery.

Blacks are turning large portions of Indianapolis into violent, mini-versions of Detroit. The police chief was imported from Baltimore with the hopes of being a black-skinned olive branch to the black community, who view the police as an 'occupying force' (black violence is responsible for almost all the murder and mayhem in Indianapolis, thus any measure to lower crime is seen as "racial profiling").

It's individual black people (and the greater black community who excuses away black violence and deflects the white majorities ability to defend civilization as 'profiling') who are destroying the viability of Indianapolis, just as they collectively ruined Camden, Newark, and Detroit.

White people in nearly all-white suburbs are now sitting prey for black people engaging in home invasions, with no organization or voice allowed to defend their interests. [Erika D. Smith: Violence in Indy takes horrific toll, Indy Star, 12-16-13]:

quote:

There's no way around it: 2013 has been a very bloody year for our city. And as we look toward 2014, it's a trend that simply can't continue. Not if we want the city to continue to be a great place to live, work and play, and the kind of city that hosts major events for national and international audiences.

But what can we do?

At this point, with the angry heat of the summer long gone and people — particularly young black men — still shooting each other in the freezing cold and snow, it seems like the violence is almost inevitable. That no matter what we as a community do, it won't make a difference.

Because it feels like we've tried everything in 2013.

We've talked and talked about youth violence. Countless columns and articles have been published about it in The Indianapolis Star. There have been forums on it, put on by entities ranging from Indiana Black Expo to Forest Manor Multi-Service Center and attended by police, prosecutors and judges.

Marylyn and Kelly Erb are dead, victims of yet another involuntary black-on-white interaction.

Merry Christmas, Indianapolis.

Let's hope most white people there ask Santa Claus for a solution to the black-on-white violence, for if nothing is done is soon, the city of Indianapolis is headed to a Detroit 2013 scenario.

A simple solution? Cut off all federal and state funding to single black mothers (or white women who birth black children by black men), with welfare, EBT/Food Stamps, and WIC no longer offered.

Another solution? Treat all black men in Indianapolis as they should be treated: individual threats to the existence of a viable civilization.

Prejudicial thinking saves lives; prejudicial action saves cities.

When individual actions by black males against whites in Indianapolis are aggregated together, pattern recognition should develop among those not cognitively challenged with visions of "judging by character" dancing through their heads.

Marylyn and Kelly Erb are dead, victims of yet another involuntary black-on-white interaction.

More victims of black-on-white violence in Indianapolis in 2013, the kind of gift people like Tim Wise love to unwrap any they did they receive the news of a 'white privilege murder'.

Posted by Stuff Black People Don't Like at 10:10 AM 128 comments

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Race Realists posted:

The Far-Right believes that there's a worldwide war going on against whites.

I'm just letting you all know.

Black people kill white people: RACE WAR URBAN FERAL VIOLENCE :byodood:

White people kill black people: Self defense :colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
One thing I can say about the Far Right is that they're quick to throw crime statistics (usually categorized by race) in their opponent's face. And if THAT doesn't work, childish insults (if you're a white girl, they automatically assume you must have sex with alot of black men... Yeah..)

I honestly feel that more and people like this are popping up at an alarming rate, and there's nothing we can do about it :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 24, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

quiggy stardust posted:

Black people kill white people: RACE WAR URBAN FERAL VIOLENCE :byodood:

White people kill black people: Self defense :colbert:

A lot of this has to come from tribalism. If people who look the same and think differently (liberals, gays, what-have-you) are part of a different tribe and therefore the enemy, then people who actually look different might as well be Pod People.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Solution? Kill all the blacks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Race Realists posted:

I honestly feel that more and people like this are popping up at an alarming rate, and there's nothing we can do about it :smith:

They're not, the Internet is just giving them a platform to express their hate speech. The next generation is already becoming less bigoted, less homophobic, etc. These attitudes and opinions are dying out, we're just witnessing the last gasps of it.

For example, it's hard to convince a 6 year old gays are evil when their friend has two dads.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It's not the number of hateful racist dirtbags you should be worried about, it's the intensity of their anger. It only took a few hateful shitheads to basically destroy the progressive movement of the 1960's (via assassinations).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

WampaLord posted:

They're not, the Internet is just giving them a platform to express their hate speech. The next generation is already becoming less bigoted, less homophobic, etc. These attitudes and opinions are dying out, we're just witnessing the last gasps of it.

For example, it's hard to convince a 6 year old gays are evil when their friend has two dads.

That kind of (oh god gonna bust out the two-bit words) generational triumphalism has been a problem for the left for god knows how long now. It's not a good idea to embrace it--whether or not the facts that it draws from are correct. And those six-year-olds aren't going to have their world-views really solidified until 10-14 years from now. It's what they say then that's important.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The truly weird thing about them is the bizarre cognitive dissonance they all seem to share about their world view

take for instance some of the comments related to this article from American Renaissance:

http://www.amren.com/features/2013/11/a-black-mans-path-to-race-realism/

Question Diversity posted:

Black race realists can be perfectly good enemies of our enemies, but they can never truly be our friends much less us.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

WR_the_realist posted:

Black race realists can't be "us" but I don't see why they can't be our friends. Unlike some of the white nationalists in this forum, I see nothing wicked with having friends of other races, including intelligent black people. Certainly I have more agreement with Larry Murdock than I have with any number of white college professors and congressmen. Our biggest enemies are of our own race.

John R posted:

But, you might be able to CONVERT a White liberal over to our way of thinking. You cannot "convert" a black person into a White person. This is about White race survival. Blood is thicker than water.

KingKenton posted:

Then why are you here? You can't have it both ways. Extend common courtesy to a black you encounter in public? Yes. Be civil? Yes. Just ignore them? OK. Befriend them? No. Have we not learned anything? One little article from a Black race realist and all the sudden we're ready to have them be our friends, move into our neighborhoods, and invite them over for a BBQ? Perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant by your usage of "friend". If so, my apologies.

WR_the_realist posted:

If it was my goal to hate every single black (and every single Jew) I'd be posting on Stormfront, not Amren. The black average is unimpressive, to be sure. But that's not a reason I can't find common ground with a highly intelligent black man who is clearly dedicated to the truth, whatever it is. That is my goal too.

KingKenton posted:

WR_the_realist posted:

If it was my goal to hate every single black (and every single Jew) I'd be posting on Stormfront, not Amren...

No one is asking you to "hate" any Black or Jewish person. Choosing to not have black "friends" (that you wax so warmly about), does not mean you hate blacks. Your advocacy for having black "friends" sounds little different than calls for tolerance and diversity (your use of the word "hate" is a favorite of diversity mongers). Or the Christian who deludes himself into thinking Jews can be entrusted with positions of influence within a Christian society (yes, I'm Christian [not Christian Identity]).

If what you are really arguing for is working with black race realists to further the cause of Ethnonationalism, that is an entirely acceptable proposition. Calls for general unity (being "friends") between Black and White is entirely different matter and incompatible with White Nationalism which is dedicated to separation of Whites and Blacks. So which is it?

WR_the_realist posted:

But that's not a reason I can't find common ground with a highly intelligent black man who is clearly dedicated to the truth, whatever it is. That is my goal too.

Finding common ground with a Black person has nothing to do with being his "friend".

And what "truth" (your words), is this black race realist dedicated to exactly anyway? Apparently not a race realism which excludes marrying / procreating outside one's own race. Which is a rather odd and meaningless definition of race realism.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 25, 2013

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That kind of (oh god gonna bust out the two-bit words) generational triumphalism has been a problem for the left for god knows how long now. It's not a good idea to embrace it--whether or not the facts that it draws from are correct. And those six-year-olds aren't going to have their world-views really solidified until 10-14 years from now. It's what they say then that's important.

Don't try it. I made that point a while ago and got dogpiled because "This time it's different! Look at the demographics!" And I'm enough of an essentialist to be sympathetic to the idea that demography=destiny.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Partly yes, the internet has replaced pamphlets at the gun show so we're seeing more stuff. But don't forget reasons one through a hundred billion for increased right-wing rage, right here:

People just can't avoid letting it all hang out when President *BONG* is on TV.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beatlegs posted:

i hate to back track but I couldn't let it go by without pointing out the most offensive part of Palin admitting she didn't read the article. In that interview, she also said "In response, he was quoting the Gospel," she told Van Susteren. "So people who are so insulted and offended by what he said evidently are offended by what he was quoting in the Gospel."

I don't care what definition a person uses but, "the Gospel" is a narrative covering the life of Jesus and the good news he brought to men. Jesus never said one thing about homosexuality.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Just curious, would Paul's letters count as part of the Gospels? I tend to think of the Gospels as being synonymous with the NT but I'm also not a Christian so . . .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shbobdb posted:

Just curious, would Paul's letters count as part of the Gospels? I tend to think of the Gospels as being synonymous with the NT but I'm also not a Christian so . . .

A "Gospel" literally means an account of the life of Jesus. That's all. There are the four canonical gospels but there are also gnostic gospels, etc.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shbobdb posted:

"The Gospel" usually just refers to the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

radical meme posted:

I don't care what definition a person uses but, "the Gospel" is a narrative covering the life of Jesus and the good news he brought to men. Jesus never said one thing about homosexuality.

This.

He also may or may not have helped a homosexual roman soldier and his partner. Apparently called the Roman Soldier a "man of great faith" if memory serves correctly.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

"The Gospel" usually just refers to the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Which are probably more things that Palin has never read.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Shbobdb posted:

The Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles, (Hebrews), the Pauline Epistles, the Petrine Epistles, Revelation

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SedanChair posted:

"That wasn't intended to be a factual statement"

Ugh where did this come from again, which candidate

beatlegs posted:

I used to think Palin was intellectually challenged, but it appears she's actually just deliberately slothful.

Why can't it be both? (I see I was beaten to this.)

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Zwabu posted:

Ugh where did this come from again, which candidate
Arizona Senator Jon Kyl, when he stated "90% of Planned Parenthood's activity is devoted to performing abortion".

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So i don't watch conservative media of any kind, and I don't go to church or have many conservative friends: What kind of bullshit am I going to have to dismantle during Christmas dinner?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Why can't it be both? (I see I was beaten to this.)
It can, but I think it tends to be more the latter (slothful) because Palin's not literally retarded. I think if she was fully informed of what Robertson said and what the Gospel actually is, and if she didn't have a national spotlight and a belief that everything she says is eternally wise because "the base" worships her every word, then I think she'd be capable of understanding some basic facts. Unfortunately she chooses not to, because why put all that work into it when you have a large fanbase that adores, supports & affirms whatever you say regardless? She chooses her inherent laziness/self-centeredness over whatever natural intelligence she has because she exists in a comfort zone bubble provided by the rightwing propaganda complex. She's not stupid, she's just succumbed to her own egomania because she's been enabled by the media, which is who I blame because without them there to fluff her up she'd be utterly irrelevent.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Arizona Senator Jon Kyl, when he stated "90% of Planned Parenthood's activity is devoted to performing abortion".
If I remember correctly, the actual figure was a little over 3%. That just goes to show you how incredibly unprincipled they will be in their lies.

It reminds me of this: Rick Santorum makes up lies about old people in The Netherlands having to wear bracelets saying "PLEASE DON'T EUTHANIZE ME" because, you know, socialized medicine and death panels:

quote:

Rick Santorum grossly mischaracterized euthanasia practices in the Netherlands during an appearance at a faith conference. He overstated the rate of euthanasia and falsely claimed that the elderly are being killed against their will and wear “do not euthanize me” bracelets:

Santorum claimed legal euthanasia is responsible for “10 percent of all deaths for the Netherlands.” Government statistics show euthanasia is climbing, but represented only 2.3 percent in 2010, according to the most recent data.
Santorum added that half of the people euthanized were killed “involuntarily.” A representative of the Royal Dutch Medical Association said “there are no forced cases of euthanasia.” Dutch euthanasia review boards found nine cases in 2010 where doctors “had not acted in accordance with the due care criteria,” mostly for how the procedure was performed — not because it was against anyone’s will.
Santorum claimed the Dutch elderly wear bracelets that say “do not euthanize me,” but the Dutch government and medical association say no such bracelets exists. Santorum “might be confused with a ‘do not resuscitate’ bracelet or necklace” worn by some patients, a medical association representative said.

Santorum discussed euthanasia in the Netherlands during a Feb. 3 forum at the Grace Bible Church in Columbia, Mo. Dr. James C. Dobson, who has endorsed Santorum, moderated the discussion. Dobson is the founder of Focus on the Family, a Christian organization.

The former Pennsylvania senator described the current situation in the Netherlands with alarm:

Santorum, Feb. 3: In the Netherlands people wear a different bracelet if you’re elderly and the bracelet is ‘do not euthanize me.’ Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands, but half the people who are euthanized every year, and it’s 10 percent of all deaths for the Netherlands, half of those people are euthanized involuntarily at hospitals because they are older and sick. And so elderly people in the Netherlands don’t go to the hospital, they go to another country, because they are afraid, because of budget purposes, that they will not come out of that hospital if they go in with sickness.

These comments “prompted a furious backlash” in the Netherlands, the International Business Times reported. And for good reason.

First, let’s review the law. The 2001 Termination of Life on Request and Assisted Suicide (Review Procedures) Act allows Dutch citizens to end their lives if they are suffering from a medical condition that causes “unbearable suffering with no prospect of improvement.” There are two end-of-life procedures: euthanasia, where a doctor administers a fatal drug, or assisted suicide, where the doctor prescribes the fatal drug and the patient administers it. The law took effect on April 1, 2002.

According to a publication distributed by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs, doctors must be satisfied that the patient’s request is “voluntary and well-considered,” and that there is “unbearable suffering with no prospect for improvement.” The patient’s doctor must consult at least one other independent doctor, who is responsible for ensuring the “due care criteria” is met.

After the termination of a patient’s life, the death must be reported to the government and reviewed by regional committees composed of, at a minimum, a doctor, ethicist and legal expert.

Now, let’s look at Santorum’s three claims. We’ll begin with a stunning claim that the elderly are so afraid of being euthanized for “budget purposes” that they wear “do not euthanize me” bracelets. We were told by a government official and a representative of a Dutch physicians’ association that this is simply not true.

When we contacted the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, public health spokeswoman Inge Freriksen told us that “a bracelet asking not to be euthanized doesn’t exist.” Patients would only be euthanized after they followed the set of guidelines as outlined above.

Gert van Dijk of the Royal Dutch Medical Association told us the same thing.

“There are no bracelets for people who don’t want to be euthanized. Mr. Santorum might be confused with a ‘do not resuscitate’ bracelet or necklace,” van Dijk told us in an email. (That may be, but we don’t know. The Santorum campaign did not get back to us.)

The government recognizes a DNR medallion, which includes the name, date of birth, signature and photograph of the bearer, as fulfilling “all the statutory requirements for a written directive,” a government website says.

“These are sometimes worn by people who do not want to be resuscitated when they for instance have a heart attack in the street. Surely you must have these in the U.S. as well?” van Dijk said. “Recently, there is one hospital which is experimenting with this type of DNR bracelet for patients who do not want to be resuscitated whilst they are in the hospital. So people are not afraid of euthanasia, they are sometimes afraid of being resuscitated against their will.”

Santorum’s statistics aren’t close to being true, either.

His claim that euthanasia accounts for 10 percent of all deaths in the Netherlands brought an audible gasp from some in the audience. But that’s more than four times the actual rate.

In 2010, there were 3,136 cases of euthanasia, assisted suicide or a combination of both, according to the 2010 annual report by the Regional Euthanasia Review Committees. That’s 2.3 percent of the 136,058 total deaths in the Netherlands in 2010, government statistics show.

The 3,136 euthanasia cases represented a 19 percent jump from the previous year and the first time that the rate has exceeded 2 percent since the law took effect. “The cause of this continuing increase in the number of [right-to-death] notifications from year to year is not known,” the report said.

Van Dijk, of the medical association, emailed us a chart that showed the rate had been below 2 percent for the first eight years that the law had been in place. It was 1.32 percent in 2002. But by 2009, 2,636 people, or 1.96 percent of all deaths, chose to terminate their lives, the medical association’s data show. That was a record high — until 2010.

Still, Santorum was way off base in claiming it was 10 percent of all deaths.

Even further off the mark is Santorum’s claim that “half the people who are euthanized every year … are euthanized involuntarily.” According to the regional review board’s 2010 annual report, only nine doctors “were found not to have acted in accordance with the criteria.” In five of those cases, it was the way in which euthanasia or assisted suicide was performed that caused concern — not whether the patient had properly consented. The report also says that 81 percent of the Dutch who decided to end their lives in 2010 were suffering from cancer.

“There are no forced cases of euthanasia,” van Dijk said. “Euthanasia can only be performed when there is a voluntary request from the patient and the patient is suffering unbearably. An independent physician has to check this beforehand, and an independent commission checks afterwards. There are very stringent criteria in place.”

As in other countries, doctors who kill patients against their will are criminally prosecuted.

We take no position on euthanasia in the Netherlands or anywhere else. But the facts are clear: Santorum grossly misrepresented the practice of euthanasia in the Netherlands when making his case against it.

– Michael Morse and Eugene Kiely

The best part is that there was press from the Netherlands there when he said it. They immediately grabbed his PR lady and asked him what in the gently caress he thought he was talking about :

quote:

Erik Mouthaan, the US correspondent for the Dutch RTL Evening News, confronted Rick Santorum spokesperson Alice Stewart and peppered her with questions over the Republican hopeful’s controversial remarks about how the Dutch “involuntarily” euthanized senior citizens who were “older and sick,” BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski reports.

“As a Dutch reporter, I have to ask you about something (Rick) said about Holland and euthanasia,” Mouthaan began. “I don’t know if you read about that on the blogs. He stated that people wear bracelets in Holland saying ‘do not euthanize me’ and that people are involuntarily euthanized, do you remember him saying that?”

“Yeah but a lot of these things is a matter of what’s in his heart,” Stewart he’s a strong pro-life person, and that comes from life until natural death and that’s where he is and those are the issues important to the people of America, and the people who come out to vote for him and that is strong pro-life from conception to natural death

“The government of Holland says the — embassy says — the figures he used are not correct, he gave a wrong picture of the Dutch euthanasia rules,” Mouthaan explained.

These people astound me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, it is a well known fact that if Stephen hawking had grown up in a country like England he would havebeen denied care and that would have deprived the world of his genius.