Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Actually, I think Google has a pretty simple solution that should make everyone happy, or at least, make their content producers happy and the people with the money happy enough to leave well enough alone - make the Content ID claims represent only a fraction of the income. Split the money somehow between the copyright claimant and the producer. The producer should be happy as long as the revenue keeps coming in, and if they believe they should have the full share, the dispute system is still active. Copyright holders should be happy because they still get money, and isn't that what they care about? Sure, they don't get ALL the money, but they don't own all the rights - and if they do, they can enter a copyright strike and have the video taken down. Google still gets all of their money, so I don't think they'd have any complaints. And it would represent a huge gesture toward making the people who bring in the money happy, which is generally what companies should strive to do, while acknowledging that copyright holders do deserve some payback for all the money they spent buying the rights to properties they've probably never even watched or listened to themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Content publishers often feel that they have the rights to any derivatives of their work, no matter how transformative. They wouldn't feel comfortable with a 50/50 deal. There was a case a while ago where there was a wedding video that went viral, and some barely-comprehensible song was playing in the background because somebody had the radio on.

EMI forced YouTube to send all monetization their way, and YouTube complied. EMI tried to argue in in court that their wedding video was not a fair use license, and hinged on the exact song used. They lost.

(I might have gotten the details wrong here, this was back in 2008 or so)

Your solution still doesn't solve the "this content isn't actually in the video" claim. Even if it's still a portion of the revenue, that doesn't make me feel any better that the money is going to some unnamed yahoo who signed up with Google first instead of the actual work's creator.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think the problem with this system is that the Content ID also flags the video immediately. The reason solution here is to require copyright holders to flag the videos themselves. The Content ID would still locate the videos, but it would forward them to a cue the copyright holder could review.

It would be a lot more work on the part of the copyright holders, but as this thing becomes more and more of a PR problem, I think a lot of them would be on board. It's also kind of a lot of work already, because this new system is going to result in a lot of disputed claims, which the copyright holders will either have to deal with or look even worse.

EDIT: Also, apparently a lot of game publishers who submitted their data to Content ID didn't know this was how it was going to be used. They were told it would only apply to instances where people were passing off copywritten work as their own.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 18, 2013

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I've got a video with both Nintendo and "AdRev" having some kind of claim on it. I want to dispute AdRev and acknowledge Nintendo since I don't care if Nintendo does it, but I can only acknowledge both or dispute both. There doesn't appear to be a way to separate them. Yet another problem people face.

e: I did have this one Tetris video that got flagged because of a Tetris "remix" that was composed of the game boy tetris beeps. I'd disputed that and it was peaceful for a while but I went back and found yet another claim, for another "remix", from the same group, from the same claimant. A google search reveals these idiots have four Tetris "remixes" and that's about all they have.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Cheez posted:

I've got a video with both Nintendo and "AdRev" having some kind of claim on it. I want to dispute AdRev and acknowledge Nintendo since I don't care if Nintendo does it, but I can only acknowledge both or dispute both. There doesn't appear to be a way to separate them. Yet another problem people face.

There is actually a way to dispute one and leave the other - at some point during the dispute process (I think it was right after picking a reason such as "fair use") you can uncheck one and leave the other claimant checked.

As far as I've seen YouTube hasn't really announced what they changed, just that there were changes to the system. From what I've seen on my own videos I think they just cranked the detection threshold down. It used to require somewhere around 30 seconds of uninterrupted matchable audio to hit on music, and now it seems to be much less - maybe 5 seconds or so.

On the upside a lot of the music people (aside from IDOL) seem to be pretty agreeable to removing claims on gameplay footage if you ask the right way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Apparently, the videos of Everblue 2 are so rare, YT ended up giving me a video with 30 views as the second result.
Just watch the start up. It's magnificent. I mean, you can see the screen of the recording PC in the reflection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHxEN_ETMY

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I'm not recommending this guy because I can't form a fair opinion, but I'm curious on people's thoughts on ShinyRayquaza. I'm mainly curious because the dude has an 80+ episode series for Risk of Rain at an average of 1 Hour+ per episode, and I wonder if I'm missing something. I personally can't last past the 5 minute mark of any vid because his commentary does nothing for me.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

BigRed0427 posted:

People keep saying the record industry is dying, but I still think the RIAA is the most frightening organization in American entertainment.

Well yeah. It's a dying beast, and it knows it, but it still has enough power to claw for every scrap it can get, and it's trying all sorts of crazy poo poo to stay relevant. Or at least profitable, which, to the type of people that are in the RIAA, is the same thing. They've always been kind of a thorn in the side of customers and creators alike; I remember reading a while ago that Trent Reznor had a tiff with the RIAA right around the time that NIN put out a new album (I never really listened to NIN so I couldn't tell you which album, or even if this is a real thing that happened) and started telling fans they'd rather have their albums pirated than see the RIAA make a red cent off their work. It's an outdated dinosaur obsessed with profit to an Ebenezer Scrooge level, screwing little guys to make pennies. So, it's a pretty standard American institution and as a country we're screwed if we don't get it sorted out in the next decade or so.

Highwang posted:

So I'm not recommending this guy because I can't form a fair opinion, but I'm curious on people's thoughts on ShinyRayquaza. I'm mainly curious because the dude has an 80+ episode series for Risk of Rain at an average of 1 Hour+ per episode, and I wonder if I'm missing something. I personally can't last past the 5 minute mark of any vid because his commentary does nothing for me.

I feel an inclination to say "I can't get past five minutes because his commentary does nothing for me" is, itself, a fair opinion.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Just watch the start up. It's magnificent. I mean, you can see the screen of the recording PC in the reflection.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone record an LP with a laptop webcam before. :doh:

Highwang posted:

His tone, cadence, and general commentary style seem very close to Northernlion, I'm not sure if that's intentional mimicry or just coincidence. It's hard to tell if he's very skilled at the games or not though - I just skipped through a recent Risk Of Rain episode and starting at the 12:30 minute mark was just him cheesing a bunch of enemies for a full two minutes. I'm not opposed to strategies that work, but as an LPer there has to be consideration for the viewers boredom level.

Edit: Apparently his channel is hot stuff right now though because it more than doubled in size in the past month - I'm guessing due to search rankings on a few Risk Of Rain videos and it being officially released on Steam about a month ago. (That same right place, right time effect with Binding Of Isaac was what made Northernlion big - so it shouldn't be surprising)

unfair fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 22, 2013

Five
Jan 6, 2009

To be fair, that IS kinda how you have to play Risk of Rain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rocketlex posted:

I think the problem with this system is that the Content ID also flags the video immediately. The reason solution here is to require copyright holders to flag the videos themselves. The Content ID would still locate the videos, but it would forward them to a cue the copyright holder could review.

Let's be honest; in the vast majority of cases, this would not change a thing. There might be one or two exceptions that actually check (even then probably not every case) but a good 99% would just rubber stamp everything.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Let's be honest; in the vast majority of cases, this would not change a thing. There might be one or two exceptions that actually check (even then probably not every case) but a good 99% would just rubber stamp everything.

They actually already have the ability to do that, where it just queues up all matches for them to approve or release - but either it isn't the default (and people are too lazy to change it) or they just choose the flag everything immediately option.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I've watched Bioshock Infinite LP by The Media Cows, as well as some of their Dark Souls videos and it was alright. They aren't too obnoxious, don't use facecam, and actually focus their conversation on the game. Their usual format seems to be having fresh player at controls and someone who has played the game advising and commenting, which is something I like. So you might check it out if you enjoy this style of LP.

edit: Though I wouldn't recommend their Amnesia: AMfP LP. Their style doesn't work well for horror.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 25, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does anyone have a list of the stuff you can do on Youtube to format comments? Asterisks make things bold, hyphens add strikethroughs, etc.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Does anyone have a list of the stuff you can do on Youtube to format comments? Asterisks make things bold, hyphens add strikethroughs, etc.

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1053549?hl=en&topic=1257360&ctx=topic

only three total, asterisk, hyphen, and underscore

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
So, can't really put this diplomatically... Somebody is asking for money, on Kickstarter, to fund his Let's Play hobby. For real.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Send in some hot recommendations for his first LP. He's asking after all.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

quote:

I want to make awesome Let's Plays of some of my favorite video games and the new next gene games.

He's got my support. It's so hard to find coverage of the new next gene games!

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
And in return, you get credit on his first LP video!

Just the first one though because gently caress yeah.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

VivaVizer posted:

Just the first one though because gently caress yeah.

That's okay, I'd be surprised if he makes it through one before he decides it's too hard anyway. It'll end abruptly.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What a dumbass. Doesn't he know that's what Patreon is for?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Please join my indiegogo campaign to buy ads on YouTube that direct people to my channel.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Someone gave him 5 dollars. He's on his way to riches, everybody!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Can someone with access (at work here) tell me what the hell he needs the money for anyways? I mean, for a hundred or so dollars you can get a HDPVR and that alone probably makes it so you can become an LP superstar if combined with all the free programs out there. Is it like a rule that YouTube LP Superstars all buy like Vegas or Aftereffects or something instead of using AviSynth and MeGUI?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Is it like a rule that YouTube LP Superstars all buy like Vegas or Aftereffects or something instead of using AviSynth and MeGUI?

I'm almost sure Youtube LP Superstars™ are not aware that free programs like Avisynth even exist.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I think Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Elements are the most common choice among those who choose to pay for editing software, but even then you're only talking about $100 or so. Personally I use Premiere Elements because I'm familiar with it and do pretty heavy editing. I've never tried using AviSynth/MeGUI but I was under the impression you're just running scripts on video files - rather than the WYSIWYG ease of normal editing software.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Lazyfire posted:

Can someone with access (at work here) tell me what the hell he needs the money for anyways? I mean, for a hundred or so dollars you can get a HDPVR and that alone probably makes it so you can become an LP superstar if combined with all the free programs out there. Is it like a rule that YouTube LP Superstars all buy like Vegas or Aftereffects or something instead of using AviSynth and MeGUI?

Lessee... He's asking for a grand. Let's break that down, shall we?

Roxio HD Pro: £88. This, by the way, is all he's specifically mentioned. That still leaves £912, which, due to Adobe having their All Programs at £48 a month, means he could get Adobe Premiere, Aftereffects, Photoshop, and other such bullshit for a year and seven months. Or he could get Vegas Pro for £300-400, Adobe AfterEffects for god knows at £18 a month, and... Well, there are lots of options.

But odds are, he's hyperinflating in the hopes of "funding" his hobby during those dangerous times between starting his LPs and becoming a YouTube Superstar with millions of subscribers and the like.

EDIT: Whups, forgot it was dollars. Doesn't matter, the point stands.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 27, 2013

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why are you guys being so hard on him? The sky's the limit for a guy who's willing to put the kind of effort you see in his personalized banner into his LPs. IMO some of that money will go toward an SA account so he can help out those in need around the 'sandcastle.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am curious to see how long it takes for kickstarter to close it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

unfair posted:

I think Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Elements are the most common choice among those who choose to pay for editing software, but even then you're only talking about $100 or so. Personally I use Premiere Elements because I'm familiar with it and do pretty heavy editing. I've never tried using AviSynth/MeGUI but I was under the impression you're just running scripts on video files - rather than the WYSIWYG ease of normal editing software.

AviSynth and one of the enhancement plugins for it are what I've used for the past couple years and I would say it's close to a programming language with some click and drag elements in there. I can either select an area to cut from a video using a timeline at the bottom of the application or I can type in the numbers and commands to get the same cut.

It's drat easy to use and you can more or less put any files you want in there, resize, zoom or crop stuff and I've never seen it crash. MeGUI is more or less for extracting files so you can edit and then enacting the edits into the final video, it's pretty much idiotproof.

Like 99 percent of the guys making YouTube videos would lose their minds if they found out about how easy all that is because for the most part they really don't need to pay for editing software unless they do scarecams or something (and I think you can put those in with AviSynth if you really wanted to).

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
I use Vegas and then frameserver to AviSynth/MeGUI.

Personally, I like it for the track-level audio filters (noise gate, equalizer, compressor) that get applied real-time without altering the original unlike Audacity. Plus, my habit of needing to tweak commentary works well since I can record directly in Vegas.

In terms of actual video editing, being able to keyframe pan & scan for most of my effects is useful. And being able to drop my multi-audio track DxTory records in directly without having to demux is great.

I still prefer to do final resizes in AviSynth though. Better filter selection and control. Plus, x264/Nero Aac seems way better than the default encoders.

I'm sure AviSynth can workaround a lot of that if you work it out. But I don't think it'll be as convenient.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

AviSynth and one of the enhancement plugins for it are what I've used for the past couple years and I would say it's close to a programming language with some click and drag elements in there. I can either select an area to cut from a video using a timeline at the bottom of the application or I can type in the numbers and commands to get the same cut.

Which enhancement plugin do you use?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That loving Sned posted:

Which enhancement plugin do you use?

AvsPMod puts a lot more features into AviSynth. It used to be a recommended program in the tech support fort, and it should still be there because it is just fantastic if you want to do some video editing but don't want to pay for a program.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are you guys being so hard on him? The sky's the limit for a guy who's willing to put the kind of effort you see in his personalized banner into his LPs. IMO some of that money will go toward an SA account so he can help out those in need around the 'sandcastle.

Because he's an idiot and should be mocked?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Genocyber posted:

Because he's an idiot and should be mocked?

I think that was sarcasm, but it's not like it was incredibly easy to tell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was sarcasm, but it's not like it was incredibly easy to tell.

I'm an idiot and should be mocked.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Bit and Brit Play Dynamite Cop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXnQc7DU23M

The best cop game ever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just watched Two Best Friend's Lets Play of Beyond: Two Souls. Hoooooly poo poo... :stare:

Part of me kind of respects David Cage. Indigo Prophecy is one my my most memorable gaming experiences. It start's off good, goes decently, and then at a certain point it just says "gently caress it" any sense of reality. In a way it's glorious.

Beyond Two Souls...man. Imagine making a lovely Friedberg and Seltzer movie about video games where scenes, character and other bits were taken from other, better games. Then instead of a lovely comedy with a barley connected plot you decided to write a serious Sci-fi drama. Then take what you wrote and jumble it around like Pulp Fiction to the point where all scenes lose their emotional weight and context because of what happens right after or next. Throw up some hosed up morals, a love story that happens weather or not you want it to happen, two attempted rape scenes, A white woman telling Najavo Indians how to perform ancient Najavo ceremonies, and a director who might be TO attached to it's star and you...well not even scratch the surface of what makes Beyond: Two Souls a joke.

Two Best Friend's LP is great though. These guys are very funny and I think the only reason I actually watched this whole train wreck. Only REAL complaint I have is't their fault. (Episode 13, which has a MAJOR plot point in it, got pulled)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

BigRed0427 posted:

Two Best Friend's LP is great though. These guys are very funny and I think the only reason I actually watched this whole train wreck. Only REAL complaint I have is't their fault. (Episode 13, which has a MAJOR plot point in it, got pulled)

Wow seriously? What episode was that?

I knew 2bfp was suffering but I didn't think they got shafted enough to having a whole episode pulled.

Edit: Who the heck is Arab Reach Media and why did they get so frustrated with B2S? I know David Cage is detached from reality but the middle east segment of that game wasn't THAT Bad.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Highwang posted:

Edit: Who the heck is Arab Reach Media and why did they get so frustrated with B2S? I know David Cage is detached from reality but the middle east segment of that game wasn't THAT Bad.

Maybe it had something to do with Ellen Page being manipulated to kill a democratically elected President in that video?

• Locked thread