Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Booley posted:

Do get based out entries need to be made by ourselves, or can they be a premade resin base that we paint?

If you want an easy point you can just paint anything at all, but if you want points from the judges and be in the running for a cash prize at the end of the oathing season you'll probably want to put some real effort in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

krushgroove posted:

Can you just confirm what you're planning to do? A normal base or a Get Based Out entry? Either is fine, just need to know for sure.

I originally meant just a base, but I doubt I'll come up with anything better for Get Based Out this year. So yes, it's my Get Based Out entry.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Soooo Trollcast is some brittle loving poo poo. I don't think I've broken any mini in the last 10 years, but this loving Trollcast human that I oathed have now broken three times and in six loving places while painting him...

I'll try to glue his poo poo on again, but some of the parts will be almost impossible to glue together again. Will it still count as a completed oath if he is in multiple pieces? He is fully painted of course.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Will it still count as a completed oath if he is in multiple pieces? He is fully painted of course.

Just do your best, the effort you've put in will show through. :)

Germ
May 7, 2013

Germ posted:

I, Germ, oath these 5 Plague Ogryn (from Forgeworld, 28mm) and this Big Goddamn Hero (aka, a Nomad Tomcat by Corvus Belli, 28mm) for the month of December.

OATH ADDITION! I pledge these 5 resin wall sections (28mm) by me (eventually they'll be offered through Worldsmith Industries).

Been playing around with different sculpting techniques for terrain and came up with these. I flaked out last night and forgot to put mold release on the master models (which were carved from foam), and spent the better part of the morning trying to clean the molds. I hosed up a couple times, so I'm planning on casting a bunch of these in plaster, and doing some final carving and detail work with plaster before making the final molds. That way I can also do them in various states of disrepair, barricades, etc. as well. These are the first pull off the mold (you can see some pieces of foam caught in them where I didn't catch them in the mold).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
To my frustration I have actually completed my oath - even better I have finished every single scrap of whitemetal and resin in the house!

Alas my desktop computer has failed, so I may end up failing it for lack of a way to upload the photos. I'll see what I can rig up.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

To my frustration I have actually completed my oath - even better I have finished every single scrap of whitemetal and resin in the house!

Alas my desktop computer has failed, so I may end up failing it for lack of a way to upload the photos. I'll see what I can rig up.

You fool. You gave up your immortality for an oath? You do know that, as long as you have unpainted miniatures, you can't die, right? Most of us keep a stockpile of unpainted miniatures, not for lack of painting, but as a safeguard. Quick, get to your local game store and buy another miniature!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

OATH ADDITION! I pledge these 5 resin wall sections (28mm) by me (eventually they'll be offered through Worldsmith Industries).

Approved!

You'll have to tell me how you did the mold - silicone mold? dental plaster material in the mold? etc...

Loxbourne posted:

My back-up is cameraphone and auto-updates to Google Photos, can you do anything like that? Even auto-upload to Facebook, just copy/paste the URL for the photos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Germ I hope you sell those soon because they're exactly what's missing from my rural village table.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
:frogsiren:OATH COMPLETE:frogsiren:

For the jurnal, I attempted to make the champion's sword NMM with less than perfect results.

Since everyone is doing it, a GROUP SHOT of everything I painted this year. It's about as much as some of the more prolific painters here complete in a couple of weeks, but it's more than I've done in the previous several years combined so :colbert:

For comparison, I found and fixed up a seven year old Carnifex model back when devourers were a thing. I still can't believe I didn't see more adrenal-sacs-as-compound-eyes enhanced senses conversions then.

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

You'll have to tell me how you did the mold - silicone mold? dental plaster material in the mold? etc...

Happy to oblige!

I carved the walls out of pink insulation foam - all of the walls are 1" high and 1/4" thick; the long pieces are 6" long. I carved it by scoring the lines with an x-acto blade, and opening them up with pencil. Then I used rocks, sculpting tools, and the like to texture, chip away, and push some stones in for an uneven surface. [at this point I should have sealed them with a brush-on varnish, and applied mold release]. I poured the mold using Smooth-On's Mold Max 14-NV tin-cure silicone. The NV stands for "No Vacuum". My first time using it, and I think my quest for a low-viscosity tin-cure is over. We'll see how it holds up to repeated resin casting, but I was happy with how it turned out. I love platinum-cure, but the stuff is so expensive, it makes experimenting hard.

The foam shredded in the mold, trying to get it out, so the original models were destroyed. I'm used to the platinum stuff, that doesn't ever really even need mold release. I've cast it about 4 or 5 times in resin (I use TAP Plastic's Quik Cast - again, I like the really low viscosity stuff that doesn't need to be pressure cast). The first couple casts pulled out the remaining foam, and made me realize that there are a couple of small places that I butchered the mold while I was freeing the model. They're not that big of a deal (just some places where I carved away part of the mold I didn't men to, near the base), but enough that I won't use this for a production mold.

I'm casting some up in plaster as we speak so I can repair those pieces (plaster is easier to carve than resin) and add more detailing like finer cracks, etc. Then I'll make another mold of what I come up with. It should also let me make a wider variety of walls in various states of repair - Mostly intact (what I have now), mostly ruined, and ruins reinforced with makeshift barricades like boxes, barrels, and sandbags. I've started on the models for some steel-reinforced steampunk-style stone walls, as well. I'll try and document that process better than what I've done here!

moths posted:

Germ I hope you sell those soon because they're exactly what's missing from my rural village table.

Cheers! It'll be a bit before I have something salable, though. I'm working toward doing a terrain set that includes all of the basics for any non-historical fantasy-type game. Warhammer Fantasy, Malifaux, Warmachine, Wrath of Kings, etc. Buildings, walls, scatter terrain, area terrain, hills, etc. The big hurdle will be figuring out how to do some hard foam casting of larger buildings, hills, and the like. I've got the material for some test molds, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not intimidated!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

Happy to oblige!

Sounds really cool! I've been playing around with RTV silicone and resin but haven't dedicated a lot of time to it yet. It's really easy to work with and I jumped in feet first with 2-part molds so there's a bit of a learning curve. I've just run out of silicone to make casts with, so I think I'll get a kilo when I reorder. I've got a bunch of ideas but not a lot of time.

I meant to add for everyone - less than 24 hours before the oath deadline!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
If you do get into it more, consider grabbing a pressure pot or making your own. Getting bubble-free casting is paramount, and helps prevent a massive waste of material.

This is less of a problem if you do simple one-piece molds, like bases or the wrecked markers that Germ does. I've been toying with molds for the better part of the past year, off and on, and I'm just about to get a pressure pot. So far I've had the best luck with things like bases, where it's really easy to make some custom ones and then pop out a whole bunch over the span of a weekend.

As an example, here's some tech bases I've made for my Dark Angels army. By this point I've got a box full of these things, as I just pour any excess resin into the mold when I'm working on another mold.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress it, might as well try out this NMM thing. Never done it before, so therefore :siren:I HEREBY OATH THIS EXTREMELY BORING GAMES WORKSHOP SPACE MARINE:siren: as a test subject. May the Emperor show mercy for his chromed-out soul.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:I black_Nexus oath 5 zombie handgunners from games workshop:siren:

Guess I'll have to try the journal this month, never tried NMM before

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android, oath this Reaper bones wizard for the month of December

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I, Illudere, oath Mia Hartstorm and mount from Reaper miniatures in 28mm plus an archery target.

I also oath a Save Da Whales oath of fifteen elvish stag riders. Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=73175#post422212464

The Save Da Whale rules seem to imply that regular oath complete photos and save da whale oath complete photos need world time server in the photo. Is that correct?

Those stag riders took way to long to finish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Illudere posted:

I also oath a Save Da Whales oath of fifteen elvish stag riders. Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&userid=73175#post422212464

The Save Da Whale rules seem to imply that regular oath complete photos and save da whale oath complete photos need world time server in the photo. Is that correct?

Those stag riders took way to long to finish.

That's correct. Are those guys done now? If not, just include them in your December Oath Complete post, but clearly labeled as for Whales and with the link to the original (just as you've done here).

If they're done, let me know and I'll credit you for them now.

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
December Oath Complete!

The Jurnal for this month is NMM shading on their choppers:

Came out a lot better on the axes than the swords, but it was good practice

Lets all hope that Santa Claus brings plenty of minis and paint for Christmas!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The reflectivity on your NMM is weird - you'd generally expect things to catch more light at the top than at the bottom, and for the cutting edges(which get sharpened, even by Orks, and thus new metal exposed) to be shinier that the body of the blade. You've got the cel-shading effect down nicely, but you need to apply it with a little more thought as to how the light actually hits them.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Wood elves don't really have a lot of metal to do this month's theme on, and I'm still getting the models together for my big Oath.

So this month I just have this guy:

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath one Captain of Minas Tirith for the month of December!:hist101:

He is 28mm and from Games Workshop's LotR/Hobbit line of miniatures.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

thespaceinvader posted:

The reflectivity on your NMM is weird - you'd generally expect things to catch more light at the top than at the bottom, and for the cutting edges(which get sharpened, even by Orks, and thus new metal exposed) to be shinier that the body of the blade. You've got the cel-shading effect down nicely, but you need to apply it with a little more thought as to how the light actually hits them.

They're fighting on a daemon world where the light shines from the ground :spooky:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Slimnoid posted:

If you do get into it more, consider grabbing a pressure pot or making your own. Getting bubble-free casting is paramount, and helps prevent a massive waste of material.

This is less of a problem if you do simple one-piece molds, like bases or the wrecked markers that Germ does. I've been toying with molds for the better part of the past year, off and on, and I'm just about to get a pressure pot. So far I've had the best luck with things like bases, where it's really easy to make some custom ones and then pop out a whole bunch over the span of a weekend.<snip>

I've thought about a pressure pot but it's probably a step too far for me where I'm at. I'd planned on making 6mm terrain but got distracted with other stuff :)

Monoliths posted:

gently caress it, might as well try out this NMM thing. Never done it before, so therefore :siren:I HEREBY OATH THIS EXTREMELY BORING GAMES WORKSHOP SPACE MARINE:siren: as a test subject. May the Emperor show mercy for his chromed-out soul.

Black_Nexus posted:

:siren:I black_Nexus oath 5 zombie handgunners from games workshop:siren:

Guess I'll have to try the journal this month, never tried NMM before

Android posted:

I, Android, oath this Reaper bones wizard for the month of December

Tadhg posted:

:hist101:I, Tadhg, Oath one Captain of Minas Tirith for the month of December!:hist101:

He is 28mm and from Games Workshop's LotR/Hobbit line of miniatures.

Accepted!

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath Mia Hartstorm and mount from Reaper miniatures in 28mm plus an archery target.

The timestamp on this is a week old...can you please take a fresh picture with a timestamp? It doesn't matter if you've got paint on the models already.

:siren: OK FOLKS! WE'RE JUST 2 HOURS AND 16 MINUTES AWAY FROM THIS MONTH'S OATHING DEADLINE! :siren:

Get those oaths in!

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's correct. Are those guys done now? If not, just include them in your December Oath Complete post, but clearly labeled as for Whales and with the link to the original (just as you've done here).

If they're done, let me know and I'll credit you for them now.

They are done!

krushgroove posted:

The timestamp on this is a week old...can you please take a fresh picture with a timestamp? It doesn't matter if you've got paint on the models already.

I thought it just needed to be shown to be unpainted in December. :blush: I don't currently have the model it has gone out as a Christmas present (yay for deadlines). Oh, well, I'll share the completed pics just to show them off.

Edit: December Oath Complete!

This one has the target in focus:

Illudere fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 25, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Illudere posted:

They are done!

I thought it just needed to be shown to be unpainted in December. :blush: I don't currently have the model it has gone out as a Christmas present (yay for deadlines).

OK, you're good, the oath is accepted - it's just I guess a bit different to have the timestamp so early but those are obviously the same models and all. Make sure to put an 'oath complete' in bold on that post!

:siren: NO MORE OATHS! :siren:

That's it for 2013, folks! No more new oaths until 2014 :)

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 25, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ohshi-! I thought I had until the end of the month as usual; shows how long I've been out of the loop here. Oh well, is it too early to oath for next month? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry - keep painting, I meant no more new oaths for this month :)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

krushgroove posted:

Sorry - keep painting, I meant no more new oaths for this month :)

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Detektuv's Jurnal
None of these models used metalic paints for their armour, weapons, or gemstones. I think the gems turned out alright but the armour and weapons...

Part's List
All paints are reaper with the exception of vallejo for white and mediums. All primed in Black. Washes used are Agrax Earthshade unless specified.
Reckoning of Everblight:
Base was made using a combination of a clear/cloudy rock I think is quartz, "realistic water" from woodland scenics, and snow flock.

Lylyth
  • Skin: Amethyst Purple
  • Cape: Regal Purple, Imperial Purple, Royal Purple
  • Armour: Honed steel drybrushed onto Royal Purple
  • Feathers: Amethyst Purple drybrushed with White
  • Arrows & Belts: Driftwood Brown
  • Horns/scales/claws: Tarnished Brass on top of Sun Yellow then washed with Nuln Oil
  • Hair: White followed by Nuln Oil then highlighted with more white.
  • Other metalics: Honed Steel
  • Sleigh: Regal Purple & Carnage Red drybrushed with Honed steel
  • Shredders: Gem Purple
  • Collars/leashes: Bloodstain Red
  • Blood: Carnage Red with gloss medium
Skeletons & Fae
  • Bones: White
  • Eyes: Sapphire blue blend with white
  • Armour and weapons: Rainy Grey, Nightshade Purple, White
  • Runes and eye glow: Sapphire blue & Forest Green blends with white
  • Rubies: Clotted Red Blend with white
  • Emerald: forest green blend with white
  • Hair/straps: Forest Green
  • Bat Staff: Nightshade purple, Carnage Red
  • Cloaks: Bloodstain red, Clotted Red, Nightshade Purple
  • scepter and Egyptian garbs: Driftwood Brown & sun yellow blends, White
  • Egyptian skeleton robes: Regal Purple, Imperial Purple, Royal Purple
  • Fae backpacks: Driftwood Brown
  • Fae garbs: Bloodstain Red, Clotted Red
  • wood: Driftwood brown
  • roses: Carnage Red
  • Fae base: purple wildflowers woodland scenics
  • Egyptian skeleton base: sun yellow
  • Skeleton knight base: Blushing Rose
  • Other skeleton base: Nightshade purple & rainy grey blend

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008
Oath Complete

Jurnal is the sword the arrow is pointing at.

Merry christmas everyone! :-)

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
December Oath Complete

Germ
May 7, 2013

December Oath complete!

I'm claiming Detektuv's Jurnal (the Tomcat's Rifle), terrain (the walls), and a themed group (the Plague Ogryn)

I wish I had a chance to spend more time on the Plague Ogryn, but goven the amount of stuff I still have to paint, I had to move it along a bit quicker than I liked. They're not as pretty as the GU1 and Plague Drones, but they'll do.

I learned tone doing these walls. Mostly about what not to do! While these were cast in resin, I also cast some in plaster, and spent some time carving the plaster to increase definition between stones, add some more texture, and clean up the places in which I was overzealous in cutting the mold. Round two should be much better! For paint, they just got some quick, sloppy drybrushing with a chip brush and some cheap craft paint so I could see what needed to be done on the plaster models.

And finally a Tomcat from my slowly growing Nomad force. The NMM is on the rifle. Ugly, but it's always good to know one's limits.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Germ, don't take this the wrong way, but you're a really loving good painter. You do a wicked good job on Nurgle stuff.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Oath complete!

I guess I got Themed Group and Fly your Flag! bonuses.

Wight King BSB

Crappy zombies which I still need to do a ton of:

Death Korps of Krieg vox operator:

This crappy necro got done really fast and lovely. Such a boring model, he was a real chore to do. I hate him:

Edit: Here are all my finished zombies so you can see I haven't just repositioned the same ones twice. There are more than the ones I've oathed for December though.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 28, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Do I fail the oath for having lost a piece of the mini between oathing and painting, even if I paint the rest of it?

E: found it, now I just have to paint it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete
timg'd to hide all the horrific details

Most effort I've put into a base this year so far, so lets call this my get based out entry:

lovely nmm attempt for this month's theme, I am terrible at blending:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KingMob posted:

December Oath Complete

Hi KingMob. Did you do this month's theme? I can't quite tell from the photo if that's NMM or just metallic paint.

TheBlobThing posted:

Oath complete!

Hi TheBlobThing. This is slightly nitpicking, but for my own peace of mind: would it be possible for you to take a single photo, containing all 20 of the zombies you painted for December, and not containing any zombies that weren't part of your oath?

I need to count zombies, and the judges need to judge based only on this month's painting (and not the lovely zombies from other months). Thanks!

thespaceinvader posted:

Do I fail the oath for having lost a piece of the mini between oathing and painting, even if I paint the rest of it?

E: found it, now I just have to paint it.

Generally not, unless it's a major part of a miniature. A missing weapon or bit of detail is fine, it'd be no different than if you did a conversion of the model. On the other hand, if your space marine is now just a pair of legs? Yeah that's probably not complete.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Good to know, thanks. It would have been the top half of the head, but I found it. I was a little overzealous cleaning up for Christmas (my man cave also being our dining room) and it was in the bin D: I should be on track to complete this month but no jurnal. I've not really tried NMM before and I'd like to, but it'll have to be another month.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Hi TheBlobThing. This is slightly nitpicking, but for my own peace of mind: would it be possible for you to take a single photo, containing all 20 of the zombies you painted for December, and not containing any zombies that weren't part of your oath?

I need to count zombies, and the judges need to judge based only on this month's painting (and not the lovely zombies from other months). Thanks!

Crap. No I can't unfortunately. We're at my parents' place untill after New Years Eve and I didn't bring them here. I can do it for the judges later on, but won't be able to do it for your zombie counting.

But isn't the group picture enough to see that I've painted a poo poo-ton of scrubs at least? I think I have some close-ups of my first group of oathed zombies if you want to have a closer look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I mean, in theory I can start with your oath photo, and match them up individually to zombies in the group shot. I just... don't really want to. :(

• Locked thread