Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
To be fair that FAQ post was from 2009. Windows memory management has gotten much better since then. However, page-file will never increase performance, but it doesn't necessarily degrade it either. Running without a page-file, as mentioned before, will only increase your system's instability slightly with respect to applications requesting memory that is not available.

It is a general rule of thumb to have one, even if it is small. I just took the lazy mans way out since no application (or set of applications) I have personally run have ever allocated that much memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
On another note.
Does anyone have suggestions for 'high-quality' mice for large hands? I am currently using the Logitech G9x and it feels quite small.

My favorite mouse thus far was the Logitech MX500 but the new versions of such don't look quite the same.

e. Its purpose will be for gaming, but it doesn't have to be marketed as a gaming mouse.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The performance MX from Logitech is the best one I've ever used

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
The G400 is still my favorite (although technically mine is an MX518, which pretty much the same). I recently purchased a G602 (wireless, lots of buttons) but it felt very unbalanced when you try to lift it back to the center of your mousepad, and the thumb buttons are not something you'd want to hold down for any length of time (which is something I do often for aim down sights in a few shooters). You might like it though, if you want a big gaming mouse.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
The thumb buttons on the MX500 variety are very nice, do you think they have the same feel on the G400? The thumb buttons on the G9x are very squishy in comparison and not well raised.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Does anyone know where I can get one of those wireless receivers for 360 controllers(preferably that delivers to/is in australia)? My wired 360 controller is busted, which is a bummer because I loved that loving thing, but I'd like to go wireless and I have a bunch of wireless controllers lying around, so that'd probably be cheaper than getting a new controller entirely.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Edgy Bees posted:

The thumb buttons on the MX500 variety are very nice, do you think they have the same feel on the G400? The thumb buttons on the G9x are very squishy in comparison and not well raised.

Having just tried it out, I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 20, 2013

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

cat doter posted:

Does anyone know where I can get one of those wireless receivers for 360 controllers(preferably that delivers to/is in australia)? My wired 360 controller is busted, which is a bummer because I loved that loving thing, but I'd like to go wireless and I have a bunch of wireless controllers lying around, so that'd probably be cheaper than getting a new controller entirely.

I am not sure what the shipping rates would be but here you go :)
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Having just tried it out, I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same.

This is good to hear. I am looking at trying this out soon. I am thinking it may be a bit small yet, but we'll see.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Edgy Bees posted:

On another note.
Does anyone have suggestions for 'high-quality' mice for large hands? I am currently using the Logitech G9x and it feels quite small.

I really like the Logitech G500. I had tried to replace it this month with a G700s because I'd wanted a wireless mouse with a few more buttons, but I just found it kind of awkward to use for reasons I can't readily explain. It just didn't seem to glide well across my mouse pad or something.

Can you go to a Best Buy or something and just put your grubby mitts all over their demo mouses until you find one you like?

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

I really like the Logitech G500. I had tried to replace it this month with a G700s because I'd wanted a wireless mouse with a few more buttons, but I just found it kind of awkward to use for reasons I can't readily explain. It just didn't seem to glide well across my mouse pad or something.

Can you go to a Best Buy or something and just put your grubby mitts all over their demo mouses until you find one you like?

I have tried this, but I have yet to find a mouse that fits into my hands well. There is a 10" span between my first and fifth digit when my hand is spread.

The Best Buy near my location has only the low end Logitch stuff and a few Razer mice. It wouldn't hurt to take another look however, it has been a few months since the last time I've been in there I guess. Amazon Prime is a wonderful thing :)

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Well I wouldn't say completely leave the OS alone. By default Windows puts aside 1.5× the amount of RAM you have for the page file. If you are on a smallish SSD that can be a rather large chunk of your space, 24GB if you have 16GB of RAM. I generally set it to 16MB-1024MB on my machine with 12GB RAM.

I absolutely agree with you. But, when you find the sparespace on your SSD is too tight you should have not been a cheapstake and bought a bigger SSD.
From personal experience anything smaller than 128 Gb is too small, with diablo 3 and only programs which I can't install on another drive, they take up 64 Gb.
unless you are filthy rich, do what I did, wait for an discount, then grab yourself a 256 Gb SSD with good reviews, then you are set for life, or at least until you have to get another PC.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
If you need an inexpensive SSD:

Kingston SV300S37A/240G
SATA III
Up to 450 MB/s Read & Write

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108

$0.66 per Gigabyte

I like Intel the best myself in terms of SSD's but I got this guy for my work laptop when it went on sale earlier in the week. Money talks :D

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know headsets generally aren't as good as microphone + headphones, but since I'm in couch mode I don't really want to string out a microphone and headphones. Can anyone recommend a wireless headset for Mumble, etc.?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Sony PS3 "7.1" headset is my personal favourite, and it can be bought for fairly cheap at least over here.

Pros:
+ "cheap"
+ comfortable
+ decent range and good quality

Cons:
- proprietary wireless
- no Bluetooth or 3.5mm support
- have to charge via mini-USB connector
- surround sound mode does nothing on PC, only on PS3

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pretty sure every time this comes up, the guys who actually care about sound pipe up about getting headphones and a mod mic.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, that's a good idea, but it can cost a bit more then a good gaming headset. Plus the mod mic is back-ordered all the time so it can take a while to even get one.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm doing OK with Windows 8.1 and gaming, but I've only been running just a small set of games, a few new titles from 2012 and 2013, and a few very old ones, like Quake 3 and Starcraft:Broodwar (going back and doing single-player again). I skipped Windows 8.0 and went with a fresh 8.1 install.

I was worried about the Windows 8.1 mouse-issue that was introduced by Microsoft, but the fix they released last month seems to work OK with the few games I'm playing that require precise mouse movement, like Metro 2033 and the Collar Duty series.

It's a newly built PC I've been running Windows 8.1 on, which included a GTX780, so I don't know how much having the latest graphic hardware and drivers helps with avoiding compatibility issues.

To get Broodwar to run I had to check a few settings in the program's Compatibility tab, and so far it's been running fine with no crashes.

I remember when Windows 7.1 came out some gaming forums had users that put together a games compatibility list for Windows 7.1. But there are so many more games out now that such a list for 8.1 would take more time to assemble.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Whoever mentioned skipping the upgrade from 7 to 8.1 and just do a clean install is right. My 8.1 upgrade is hosed up with so many little nuisances. Kinda bummed cause I just got all of my steam games installed, but this is ridiculous. So loving glad 8 allows you to do a clean wipe without needing a disk.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there a vsync sweet spot for Bioshock Infinite? If I have the in-game vsync turned on I get framerate hitching or stuttering during heavy action but if I turn it off it runs smoothly but then I get screen tearing. I'm running the game on the "Very High" in-game preset on a GTX 660Ti at 1080p so is there a setting in the nvidia control panel I could enable? I tried playing with the vsync settings in the nvidia control panel but I still get screen tearing or stuttering.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 23, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any news regarding Xbone controllers working on Win7/8? I want to replace my old 360 one already because after playing with the new controller, I can't go back.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Any news regarding Xbone controllers working on Win7/8? I want to replace my old 360 one already because after playing with the new controller, I can't go back.

Microsoft commented that they will release compatibility for this sometime in 2014. So as far as I know, there is no officially supported method of using the Xbone controller in Windows.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

spasticColon posted:

Is there a vsync sweet spot for Bioshock Infinite? If I have the in-game vsync turned on I get framerate hitching or stuttering during heavy action but if I turn it off it runs smoothly but then I get screen tearing. I'm running the game on the "Very High" in-game preset on a GTX 660Ti at 1080p so is there a setting in the nvidia control panel I could enable? I tried playing with the vsync settings in the nvidia control panel but I still get screen tearing or stuttering.

Have you tried forcing triple-buffering? It's pretty much a best-of-both-worlds option.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Edgy Bees posted:

Microsoft commented that they will release compatibility for this sometime in 2014. So as far as I know, there is no officially supported method of using the Xbone controller in Windows.

Thank you. Time to wait until they release drivers for it. Can't wait to get my hands on the best controller in the market :fap:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Guillermus posted:

Thank you. Time to wait until they release drivers for it. Can't wait to get my hands on the best controller in the market :fap:

The gamecube controller has been out for ages. :shepface:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Guillermus posted:

I dunno if you have a bias for where the sticks are, but the PS4 controller is *really* nice, and is currently nicely supported: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

You're also the first person I've seen that says the Xbone controller is better than the 360 one.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edgy Bees posted:

On another note.

My favorite mouse thus far was the Logitech MX500 but the new versions of such don't look quite the same.

e. Its purpose will be for gaming, but it doesn't have to be marketed as a gaming mouse.

I just recently nabbed a G700s, and it's a bit larger than the G500 it replaced. It's also the best wireless mouse I've ever used, though it does chew through its battery quickly. You can recharge without stopping your game, though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I dunno if you have a bias for where the sticks are, but the PS4 controller is *really* nice, and is currently nicely supported: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

You're also the first person I've seen that says the Xbone controller is better than the 360 one.

I don't have a bias about the Playstation stick position, I also own a Logitech F310, but I still prefer the xbox layout and I quite like more the sticks and triggers of the 360. I use my F310 for fighting games (MK and Injustice for example) and anything that benefits from a good D-pad. I really want to try the ximput Trustmaster pads like the GPX Lightback because it looks like it has a good dpad, triggers and sticks to boot, being a good substitute to my 360 one.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013

Gonkish posted:

I just recently nabbed a G700s, and it's a bit larger than the G500 it replaced. It's also the best wireless mouse I've ever used, though it does chew through its battery quickly. You can recharge without stopping your game, though.

Call me hypersensitive but I've never been able to find a wireless mouse that I couldn't detect some form of input lag on. I do however have a ton of 2.4 GHz interference where I am sitting and this could be my problem.

I picked up a g400 as per recommendation and am loving it. I do wish they made a version of this mouse with the darkfield laser so I could use it on the coffee table as well. It fits my hands fairly well. No major complaints so far.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Get on the NVidia control panel (which is not the same thing as GeForce Experience), find Bioshock Infinite in 3D settings, put vsync on "adaptive" and enable triple buffering.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If anyone's in the market for a controller with a good D-Pad, check out the FC30. Mine just arrived today and initial impressions are really good. It passed the test of "Can I walljump in Super Metroid without taking my thumb off the D-Pad?" easily. Buttons have a nice snappy feel out of the box. It's USB or Bluetooth and has some nice little extras for playing on mobile devices.

The big downside is it's not XInput so you'll have to fall back on x360ce for some modern games. It's also made to be the size of a Famicom controller, so you'll be holding it with fingertips unless you're a literal child. The D-pad and buttons are all a good size, however, and it has no sharp corners like the NES controllers we got.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't care how much hipster cred that retro look gives you, that thing looks like an ergonomic nightmare.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

If anyone's in the market for a controller with a good D-Pad, check out the FC30. Mine just arrived today and initial impressions are really good. It passed the test of "Can I walljump in Super Metroid without taking my thumb off the D-Pad?" easily. Buttons have a nice snappy feel out of the box. It's USB or Bluetooth and has some nice little extras for playing on mobile devices.

The big downside is it's not XInput so you'll have to fall back on x360ce for some modern games. It's also made to be the size of a Famicom controller, so you'll be holding it with fingertips unless you're a literal child. The D-pad and buttons are all a good size, however, and it has no sharp corners like the NES controllers we got.

For the price of that thing you can buy either a F310 pad wich is both DImput and XImput or a PS3 controller with a good D-pad and actually ergonomic for normal sized hands.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I picked a nice cheap wireless 360 controller up and am liking the new dpad a lot more than the one on the wired controller I've had for ages. What's the recommended 360/PC wireless dongle to pick up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now that I think about it on the headset front, I'd prefer to wear one of the one-ear-plus-mic style of headsets, and just pipe Mumble etc. to that, leaving game sound coming from the TV speakers (far away, and they're pretty quiet + autoducked anyway). Anyone want to recommend a wireless version of that style of headset?

Right now I'm using one of the bluetooth PS3 earpiece thingies and the mic quality is of course terrible. :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What are the good racing games for the pc? I'm talking any thing over the last few years in any sort of genre (sim/arcade/anything).

- thanks.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 29, 2013

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Jippa posted:

What are the good racing games for the pc? I'm talking any thing over the last few years in any sort of genre (sim/arcade/anything).

For the sim end of the spectrum, we have a PC Sim Racing Thread. OP hasn't been updated to include Assetto Corsa, which recently came on Steam Early Access. And is on sale right now, by the way.

If you fancy watching a few YouTube videos that go over the recent PC sims, check out Empty Box's Sim Racing 101 series, episode 2 - 6.

For the arcade end of the range, on the top of my personal list is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. It has a ton of licensed cars, great graphics, police chases, and loads of jumps. Made by Criterion, which is pretty much the top dog when it comes to pure arcade racing fun.

For rally and circuit racers that are mostly arcade, but good fun, have a look at Codemaster's games: Grid 2 and Dirt 3 in particular.

One upcoming game to keep an eye on is Next Car Game, by Bugbear Entertainment (the Finnish guys who made the FlatOut series). Has early access if you pre-order, which I did yesterday, and it has the loveliest car wrecking physics I've seen in any game so far.
http://nextcargame.com/

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
NCG isn't even remotely a sim though, so make sure you understand that.

e: I also just re-read the last post and realised it wasn't specifying sims only. Welp.

Next Car Game is also the best drat thing and I can't wait for it to be finished.

If you want to go out of arcade the other way and end up at totally stupid silly crap which is also the funnest drat thing you'll ever play, you need Sonic and All-Star racing Transformed. Best kart racer on PC by a country mile.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 29, 2013

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I figured I'd ask this here since its the pc gaming thread:

What are some good 2-4 local multiplayer games and what is a good blue tooth controller I can use?

I was thinking of picking up something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f313/?srp=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

ColoradoCleric posted:

I figured I'd ask this here since its the pc gaming thread:

What are some good 2-4 local multiplayer games and what is a good blue tooth controller I can use?

I was thinking of picking up something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f313/?srp=3

The online play is spotty since the game is at the point where most players left are min-max poopsockers but I had a blast playing split screen Dungeon Defenders with my wife. There's a demo on the steam page if you want to try it out.

• Locked thread