Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bro Dad posted:

What if you redrew the United States so state borders actually represented their constituents? You get something like this:

Also cutting down to thirty-eight states means you can annex Canada and still get the even fifty (assuming you strip out PEI or one of the territories most likely).

It makes sense for Western Massachusetts to be part of New York. It definitely blends right in to Connecticut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What's the general idea behind making up new states? Is it an attempt to fix the broken electoral college system without actually touching it?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

What's the general idea behind making up new states? Is it an attempt to fix the broken electoral college system without actually touching it?

Pretty much. I always wonder how the people drawing those get the borders so neat while they're masturbating furiously to the thought of their side getting more Senate seats.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Boiled Water posted:

The guy who made this said it was about fixing very specific, very small things. Example: "Who should pay for a rapid transit system in St. Louis? Only those citizens within the boundaries of Missouri, or all residents of St. Louis's metropolitan area, including those who reach over into the State of Illinois?"

:allears:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
From the d&d pics thread:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

New Electoral College map redrawn into 50 states with equal population.

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/reform/

I would gladly live in the state of MAMMOTH. :black101:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Peanut President posted:

I always loved this picture for Shiprock. The admission that it's nothing but blasted wasteland and armadillos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Space Bat posted:

I always loved this picture for Shiprock. The admission that it's nothing but blasted wasteland and armadillos.

I mentioned this earlier but there's approximately 71 million people in the West (counting Alaska & Hawaii). There are 5 (out of 23) Provinces of China with larger populations than that.

Bonus fun fact: the smallest Chinese province population wise is the Tibet region which has ~3 million people. That is still larger than 20 US states, and it's roughly the same size as the bottom 5 US states (+ DC) combined.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not sure how thrilled I would be about living in the Firelands, although I guess that's no fault of the borders.

3peat
May 6, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Also, this thread and many, many others have thought me that Americans are obsessed with their accents. Especially in regards to soft drinks.

It's funny because they all sound the same to me.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Peanut President posted:

Lexington ends up in the same state as Charlotte? Weird.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Peanut President posted:

He's from Virginia originally, so everyone calls him..wait for it...the Virginian.

Thank you for the helpful hint!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

3peat posted:

They're mostly the same, because we only have had roughly four hundred years for them to differentiate over regions, and we're jealous because the UK has so many awesome accents and variations. We just want to be like our big brother.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GreenCard78 posted:

Thank you for the helpful hint!

I live to serve!

Basil Hayden posted:

Lexington ends up in the same state as Charlotte? Weird.

On the bright side Louisville and Indianapolis get to be in the same state together. The state were counties ceased to be.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I took the dialect test as a non-US citizen with English as my second language.
Most similar to the Northeast, and somewhat odd also a similarity pocket in San Francisco and Hawaii. Probably due to media influence.

Before i took the full version of this test and it matches the short version on the NYT pretty well. Well, almost, the hot spots match but there are some variances in some central and southeastern states.

And some standard European English words that correspond to American dialects color that map as well. Everybody call them highways here, as well as crayfish, things like crawfish and crawdads seem very dialectical to Americans, there is no such connection over here and crayfish is the neutral word used.
Some words, specially traffic terms, i draw more from British English, so the traffic terms on the quiz that most closely resemble UK ones must have an influence as well.

Mountain lions probably vary among Europeans. I call them mountain lions because that seems most natural to me because it's the term i hear the most on US media, and since we don't have them, i don't have a personal geographical connection to the word.
Many of my fellow countrymen would call them Pumas, since that's the word we use for them in my native language.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 24, 2013

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gen. Ripper posted:

Gentlemen, welcome to California. :smug: :ca:

It's interesting how the map will pin you as being being from California, but then have the rest be almost opposite.

The only :ca: specific question I guess?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The only :ca: specific question I guess?

People in Texas will call it a freeway as well, I call it a highway.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

computer parts posted:

People in Texas will call it a freeway as well, I call it a highway.

Ehh. I call it a highway, as does my family and town in general.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Stumbled upon these while browsing Wikipedia.

Left: Italy-France border (south-north), passing through the summit of Mont Blanc.
Right: a true, honest-to-god, we-swear-it's-not-a-fake-guys historical map from the French archives showing the CORRECT border :france:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Falukorv posted:

I took the dialect test as a non-US citizen with English as my second language.
Most similar to the Northeast, and somewhat odd also a similarity pocket in San Francisco and Hawaii. Probably due to media influence.

All of those places except the extreme northeast also have a huge amount of people that are first- or second-generation immigrants. New York City, for example, I'd imagine to have more than one distinct set of "New York City accent" answers.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PrinceRandom posted:

Ehh. I call it a highway, as does my family and town in general.

The question is pretty vague though, if I was on one of those "freeway" things in like Maryland or whatever where cops can sit between the two sides, and there's a median where you can make a U-turn, then I wouldn't really call that a "freeway", probably a "highway".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3peat posted:

Do not trivialize the great pop/soda divide. It is the most important political issue of our time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Do not trivialize the great pop/soda divide. It is the most important political issue of our time.

this but unironically

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Those people who call them all "coke" can go to hell, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The most infuriating thing about those "let's re-divide the States" thing is that never once is the section containing Los Angeles called Greater Los Angeles.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
As someone who's never been to the states before, I think I may have broken that map thing...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bro Dad posted:

What if you redrew the United States so state borders actually represented their constituents? You get something like this:

Also cutting down to thirty-eight states means you can annex Canada and still get the even fifty (assuming you strip out PEI or one of the territories most likely).

Wait a minute, if most other states are being split up, why is southern Oregon still a part of Cascade? There've been active secession movements there within living memory, and there's a lot of conservatives there that would probably want out if the boundaries are being redrawn. That said, any state that has both Portland and Seattle in it is a better arrangement than when they're separate, I guess.

Peanut President posted:

quote:

This makes even less sense, why is Hawaii a part of Oregon and Alaska a part of Washington, even by necessity of each state having approximately equal population this is still nuts. :psyduck:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

And what's with the idiots who call it Aspirin???

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Lycus posted:

:( I don't do it on purpose I swear .
My cousins called them cans.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Since someone brought up the Electoral College, I figure it's worth bringing up the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which is a plan to use the electoral college to implement popular elections of the U.S. president and vice president.

Green is for states which made it law, yellow for pending. Yes, I noticed whoever made this map for Wikipedia hosed up Oregon. The bill failed its state senate.

Anyway, it was passed into law in nine states and the District of Columbia, totaling 136 Electoral Votes or 50.4% of the 270 electoral votes needed for the law to go into effect.

People kept on confusing the "winner-take-all" per state system with the electoral college itself. The electoral college as written in the U.S. Constitution didn't advocate for the current system practiced any more than it would for the Popular Vote method proposed by this compact. Amending the U.S. Constitution is not necessary to have a popular (or at least plurality) election of the POTUS.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Isn't that compact about as far along as it's likely to get in the next 20 years or so? I can't imagine any Republican controlled state government would ever sign on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

eXXon posted:

I'm not sure how thrilled I would be about living in the Firelands, although I guess that's no fault of the borders.

Dude, you get to live in :black101: THE FIRE LANDS :ssj: It's like you're from some kind of fantasy realm full of volcanoes!

I don't want to live in Yerba Buena. :( Why do all these redrawn maps of the USA have to give corny new names to every state?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PittTheElder posted:

Isn't that compact about as far along as it's likely to get in the next 20 years or so? I can't imagine any Republican controlled state government would ever sign on.

Well, you need 270. There's 68 right now, you can get another 46 from the states in yellow (+ Oregon). I'd say it has a shot at passing in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico, so that's another 20. If you get PA back and the rest of New England there's another 35, for a total of 169. So that's about 100 votes short, but that's about 5-6 mid sized states so it's not too terrible (maybe add in Michigan, there's another 16, etc).

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

PittTheElder posted:

I think solid red states are more likely to support a popular vote than current "swing" states. A popular vote is very likely to increase the national relevance of state lawmakers, (in terms of endorsements, getting national party money and resources, etc) in otherwise noncompetitive states. Of course, this isn't factoring in Tea Party ideology which is opposed to making the political process less regressive. (This is despite how the current winner-take-all system doesn't reflect the original intentions of the electoral college.)

At the same time, that means big states like Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and Ohio are less likely to support it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What? No it wouldn't. The electoral college is the only reason Wyoming and Montana have any relevance in presidential elections at all. If that were removed then candidates would pretty much never leave the coasts for campaigning. It gives underpopulated red states more sway in the election than they would otherwise have.

And the original intentions of the electoral college were to filter democracy through an elite of 'distinguished citizens', meaning the rich, to prevent the unwashed masses from having as great an effect on the political process.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's also likely unconstitutional as an unauthorized compact within the union between the states and as an infringement of the right to vote. It will not be enacted, and if it is, it will be struck down and its advocates will be called damned fools.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

icantfindaname posted:

What? No it wouldn't. The electoral college is the only reason Wyoming and Montana have any relevance in presidential elections at all. If that were removed then candidates would pretty much never leave the coasts for campaigning. It gives underpopulated red states more sway in the election than they would otherwise have.

And the original intentions of the electoral college were to filter democracy through an elite of 'distinguished citizens', meaning the rich, to prevent the unwashed masses from having as great an effect on the political process.
The winner-take-all system doesn't give solid red Wyoming and Montana any relevance today, even though there are swing voters in all fifty states. A popular vote would give national candidates an incentive to at least chase a few undecided votes there.

The whole popular vote = "urban power grab" thing is horseshit.

The original intentions of the electoral college, in addition to what you said, was a compromise to defer how the president is selected to the states. Eventually every state decided to defer to voters anyway, in a weird manner with some votes mattering way more than others.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 25, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

So you're saying they would get proportionally little representation because there aren't very many people to represent from them? I'm not sure why this is being cast as a bad thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dusseldorf posted:

So you're saying they would get proportionally little representation because there aren't very many people to represent from them? I'm not sure why this is being cast as a bad thing.

There are issues which require disproportionate amount of funding or support for the population a state has.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

Because we've been taught since we were kids that the Founding Fathers were living gods and obviously if they saw small states being represented in accordance with their populations as a bad thing, then it is.

Also those new state maps are just a chance for the people making them to make up dumb names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IceAgeComing posted:

As someone who's never been to the states before, I think I may have broken that map thing...

Hahaha this is great, the results from non-Americans are interesting as hell.

My Japanese wife took the test, she learned English in America on the west coast: