Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

btw play Pirate Doom it's awesome.

e:

Dominic White posted:

On the subject of new versions for the holidays, Pirate Doom! has been fairly regularly updated - the latest patch giving the piratical demons more appropriate attacks, so Imp pirates throw flaming daggers and Hell knights Sailors throw poison axes. Some new maps, too.

The whole thing is far better and smarter than a Monkey Island/Doom crossover has any right to be, bringing it up 16 levels total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Capcom refuses to put HUNK in the newer games so I'll settle for being able to use him in Doom. (Yeah I know he's in Revelations but I haven't gotten to that yet!)

That Neckbreaker. :allears:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Wow, I played so much RE4 mercenaries, almost entirely as HUNK. Gonna give that WAD a go!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

What are some good RPG-style mods for Doom? I'm looking for something similar to Wrath of Cronos if there is such a thing. The only other ones I can remember playing are Terrorists and Psychic.

I'm thinking this mod is what I want.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mill Village posted:

What are some good RPG-style mods for Doom? I'm looking for something similar to Wrath of Cronos if there is such a thing. The only other ones I can remember playing are Terrorists and Psychic.

It's not quite the same, but it's probably worth mentioning DoomRL Arsenal. Basically, the mod introduces DoomRL's weapons and items system (lots of different armors and power-ups, mods for building weapons, etc.) So you're not growing through stats, but you are growing through equipment.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ looks really cool!

Mill Village posted:

That Real Guns Whatever mod that was just all the guns from MW2 and some perks and stuff had a leveling system in it. It was actually pretty good. I think this is the newest version? Got confusing at some point.

e: looks like they added a bunch of custom monsters to it since I last played. :shrug:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 24, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Holy poo poo this has been the best page of the thread. Monkey Island Doom is the stupidest wad I've ever seen, I love it. Third person neckbreaker Doom is amazing. And now we also have Doom: The Roguelike: The First Person Shooter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's not quite the same, but it's probably worth mentioning DoomRL Arsenal. Basically, the mod introduces DoomRL's weapons and items system (lots of different armors and power-ups, mods for building weapons, etc.) So you're not growing through stats, but you are growing through equipment.

Holy poo poo, the weapon modding in DoomRL totally rules. Consider yourself Santa Claus, Cream!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Hmm, I think I'll go to the military base for extra loot" is a sentence I didn't know I wanted to say about Doom until now. :allears:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Looking at his channel, that DooMero guy is loving insanely talented. He's also done working Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat clones in the Doom engine. :psyduck:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Looking at his channel, that DooMero guy is loving insanely talented. He's also done working Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat clones in the Doom engine. :psyduck:
Doomero does things that really don't quite work in the ZDoom engine but are elaborate and driven enough that you just have to cheer it on regardless.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
LilWhiteMouse and Isle are a bit like that too.

They should team up together. I don't know what they'd do, but it'd be weird, surprising, and most probably impossible to explain.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Has anyone tried the Doom Roguelike Armory mod? I keep trying to drop armor and boots but I just keep dropping my weapons. I've read the thread with the download a few times over and I still can't figure it out. I use the brackets to select what I want to drop, then I have tried the drop button and the down arrow mentioned in the control menu.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Has anyone tried the Doom Roguelike Armory mod? I keep trying to drop armor and boots but I just keep dropping my weapons. I've read the thread with the download a few times over and I still can't figure it out. I use the brackets to select what I want to drop, then I have tried the drop button and the down arrow mentioned in the control menu.

Select the armor and boot icons in your inventory with the down arrows over them and use those.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
That's what I keep trying to do. I've used my actual use key {opening doors, etc), the control key that drops weapons and the key I mapped to activate item.

Edit: and the other key I mapped to drop item under inventory. I must be doing something wrong as hell.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 25, 2013

TheDarkArchon
Jul 23, 2013
DoomRL Arsenal has a weird idiosyncrasy where the Weapon Zoom key is used from dropping stuff.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I played through Duke: Nuclear Winter. It certainly was festive but a real slog. A lot of the little Christmas touches to the visuals still made me smile. :allears:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
So how exactly are people playing with DoomRL Arsenal again? When I try doing it through Doom Launcher I just get a bunch of scripting errors.

Edit: nevermind, I was loading another unrelated file named doomrl.wad by accident :downs:

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 25, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I haven't played it too much because I've spent the time I've had with it trying to figure out how to drop armor, but I IDKFA'd myself a sneak-peek. There are a lot of guns, and a lot of them seem pretty awesome. I found a tactical shotgun on E1M1 and it was fantastic. It was different, but it still felt very Doomy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
DoomRL is kind of fun but supremely unbalanced. I got a Nuclear Plasma Rifle as the marine class on MAP03 and nothing could stop me for the rest of the game.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm trying to modify the Doom shotgun so it has a vertical spread too. I know I just need to modify the A_FireShotgun function but not sure exactly how. How do I modify a flag that's called upon by other actors?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

I'm trying to modify the Doom shotgun so it has a vertical spread too. I know I just need to modify the A_FireShotgun function but not sure exactly how. How do I modify a flag that's called upon by other actors?
You'd create a new class that inherits from and replaces the original shotgun, calling a different function.

Off the top of my head an example, though I should probably be asleep :v:

code:
ACTOR My_Cool_Shotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun
{
  States
  {
  Fire:
    SHTG A 3
    SHTG A 0 A_FireBullets (5.6, 5.6, 7, 5, "BulletPuff")
    SHTG A 0 A_PlaySound ("weapons/shotgf", CHAN_WEAPON)
    SHTG A 7 A_GunFlash
    SHTG BC 5
    SHTG D 4
    SHTG CB 5
    SHTG A 3
    SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
    Goto Ready
  }
}

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Awesome, I also successfully modified the pistol and chaingun too by adding a 3.55 v-spread. Thanks! I'm a Doom modder now.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Bouchacha posted:

Awesome, I also successfully modified the pistol and chaingun too by adding a 3.55 v-spread. Thanks! I'm a Doom modder now.

Now release it on forum.zdoom.org and act like God's gift to Doom!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gooch181 posted:

I haven't played it too much because I've spent the time I've had with it trying to figure out how to drop armor, but I IDKFA'd myself a sneak-peek. There are a lot of guns, and a lot of them seem pretty awesome. I found a tactical shotgun on E1M1 and it was fantastic. It was different, but it still felt very Doomy.

I played through just E1M1 and E1M2 and I managed to find a shotgun, combat shotgun, pistol, glock, and deagle.

:allears: I really like this mod.

DoomRL is also the best roguelike, although strict roguelikes get boring fast.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Marine class with an upgraded chaingun is insanely overpowered. Effectively unlimited ammunition for a weapon that hits rapidly and almost for the same strength as a shotgun? Fuuckin' lol.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

poptart_fairy posted:

The Marine class with an upgraded chaingun is insanely overpowered. Effectively unlimited ammunition for a weapon that hits rapidly and almost for the same strength as a shotgun? Fuuckin' lol.

Yeah, I think the mod needs some kind of leveling system. Ammochain in DoomRL is an end-tree perk that you really need to earn because it's so good. 75% less ammo consumption starting on E1M1 is pretty ridiculous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I read the OP on ZDoom forums and I can drop items, but I don't get to drop weapons, double pressing drop, holding the keys etc... Am I missing something?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
For me, drop weapon was already bound to control, which I have to double tap. I just figured out how to equip and drop armors this morning.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

You'd create a new class that inherits from and replaces the original shotgun, calling a different function.

Off the top of my head an example, though I should probably be asleep :v:

code:
ACTOR My_Cool_Shotgun : Shotgun replaces Shotgun
{
  States
  {
  Fire:
    SHTG A 3
    SHTG A 0 A_FireBullets (5.6, 5.6, 7, 5, "BulletPuff")
    SHTG A 0 A_PlaySound ("weapons/shotgf", CHAN_WEAPON)
    SHTG A 7 A_GunFlash
    SHTG BC 5
    SHTG D 4
    SHTG CB 5
    SHTG A 3
    SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
    Goto Ready
  }
}

You forgot to put in Weapon.SlotNumber 3, since I think the normal shotgun's slot number is defined from MAPINFO rather than from DECORATE, so it won't be inherited.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Eh, just gave DoomRL Arsenal a try and it didn't really amaze me. The controls to drop poo poo are really janky (frequently I would immediately re-pickup the boots I just dropped, making it frustrating as all hell), the weapons are slow/weak and the various improvements you can install don't seem to have much of an effect, and without being able to backtrack through levels it doesn't seem worthwhile to have all these different kinds of armor, since you can only carry one at a time. Since I'm left guessing about the abilities of each kind of armor, and slogging through hordes of enemies with not-that-good weapons, it wasn't really that entertaining. Maybe a manual or something would help, or maybe it would make more sense with hub-like levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know if its bugged but I can't drop weapons at all. Double tapping the bound key does nothing. I know how to unequip items but is counter-intuitive.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So the mod made me go seek out the actual Doom RL and I gotta admit, it's amazingly faithful to the FPS experience. Demons are pretty chill too - we slaughter each other in the arena and give one another compliments. :3:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
DoomRL is a goddamned masterpiece. Not only did they somehow capture the brutality and hectic nature of Doom in a roguelike, they did it so well that I want to see stuff from the RL make it to Doom 4.

...whenever it comes :smith:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

So the mod made me go seek out the actual Doom RL and I gotta admit, it's amazingly faithful to the FPS experience. Demons are pretty chill too - we slaughter each other in the arena and give one another compliments. :3:

There's a 'sequel' in the works (basically DoomRL with the iD branding filed off so it can be sold for money) called Jupiter Hell. It's looking pretty slick. Expect more of the same, but better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've been playing a lot of old-school FPS games including Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition, so I decided to play Duke: Nuclear Winter.

I... I think that might have actually been physically painful. Wow. The ten minutes of Duke Caribbean that I played were much, much, much more fun than this entire expansion was.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dominic White posted:

There's a 'sequel' in the works (basically DoomRL with the iD branding filed off so it can be sold for money) called Jupiter Hell. It's looking pretty slick. Expect more of the same, but better.

I just went on a berserk rampage that would not have been at all out of place from a first person perspective. How the gently caress did he get the feel so right.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The Quake Advent Calendar @ quaddicted.com is complete:

Lots of little bits of Quake-ness explored, both old and new. I liked it… it was sort of a compressed version of the Quake Expo.

I recommend browsing through all the entries, but if you’re looking for new stuff rather than nostalgia, here’s a few of the entries that stood out for me.

Tricks with savegames by Preach: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/7-12#th_december_-_preach

An odd pair of maps from Tronyn: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/7-12#th_december_-_tronyn

An HTML5+JS server tracker: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/13-18#th_december_-_efess

A beautiful nonlinear map from sock: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/19-24#th_december_-_sock

A new Quake engine (reQuiem) focussing on compatibility and usability: https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent_calendar_2013/19-24#th_december_-_spirit

sock’s map The Horde of Zendar may be my favorite of the bunch; it might not be for everyone though, so a few more words about that here: http://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/1ta60g/the_horde_of_zendar_by_sock_is_an_amazing_new/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

I just went on a berserk rampage that would not have been at all out of place from a first person perspective. How the gently caress did he get the feel so right.

A lot of iteration and practice. Kornel has done a bunch of roguelikes based on unusual subjects, including Berserk - it's a single-screen survival game, and it works really well.

Fun fact: DoomRL's art is by Derek 'Dude Who Made Spelunky' Yu. Apparently there's a version of BerserkRL coming out with a tileset from him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The second half of Doom 2 is terrible Jesus. The levels are labyrinths. The city levels look horrible. Sandy or whoever did them just could not do outdoor environments like that. Whoever did that level The Chasm should be shot.