Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Christmas all! Hope you get lots of useful kitchen presents. But feel free to post the useless ones too, like banana slicers and microwave hot dog cookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Merry Christmas, all!

I can't wait to post my first bread on my new pizza stone! :woop:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

contrapants posted:

Merry Christmas, all!

I can't wait to post my first bread on my new pizza stone! :woop:

:colbert: Pizza stones are for pizza. Should have gotten a bread stone.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Wife got me Charcuterie and whiskey! :woop:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Got me a smoke gun and it runs on batteries! Already smoked some bloody Mary's for breakfast, which is good, since everybody is wicked hungover.

Now to make red eye gravy....and probably smoke that. Also, am I old if I'm jazzed about getting socks?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just finished Christmas dinner for 23. 8 kg of chicken, 5 kg potatoes, 6 kg veg, about 8 litres of gravy plus stuffing, pigs in blankets, bacon and other trimmings.

Took 2 days, but I nailed it. Chickens were moist and cooked through, spuds were crispy, veg was al dente.

Going to drink, sleep and watch everyone else clean up. Roast potatoes in beef dripping are the bomb. On the tongue and the stomach.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Doing fondue for Christmas this year.

Got the crusty breads (baked them myself), roasted and steamed veggies, and some dime sized meatballs.

Dip, eat, drink wine, send kids to bed, pass out on couch.

That's my grant plan.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NosmoKing posted:

Got the crusty breads (baked them myself), roasted and steamed veggies, and some dime sized meatballs.

That's my grant plan.

I'd award you a grant for that. Application accepted!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I got a hot blazing pink Thermapen :) I got my other Christmas present before Thanksgiving: a whole bunch of Victorinox knives, cutting boards, and so on. So, I am well and truly in a happy place atm.

Santa brought me a stand/stylus combo for my tablet to sit in the kitchen for easier viewing of my digital cookbooks.

All in all it was a good day!!

Oh, and Santa brought me Jelly-bellies and a candy cane too.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 25, 2013

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Coffee with bourbon, cinnamon rolls, bacon, mimosas, and the Star Wars holiday special.

I have never shouted WHAT THE gently caress at the tv so much in my life.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

NosmoKing posted:

That's my grant plan.
I did cheese fondue last night, and man, I used like a kilo of cheese and it was half gone by the time I got to sit down. Definitely the right choice.

Also got a pressure cooker, so that's nice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

Coffee with bourbon, cinnamon rolls, bacon, mimosas, and the Star Wars holiday special.

My favorite part in the whole thing is Carrie Fisher having a slight bit of difficulty getting around a table because her motor functions are impaired

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Drink and Fight posted:

I'm with you lady let's get blasted and yell at the TV

Except I put brandy in my coffee because I have no bourbon.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm with you lady let's get blasted and yell at the TV

Except I put brandy in my coffee because I have no bourbon.

A Christmas Tradition

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Christmas is much more festive when you start baking at 7AM.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Christmas is much more festive when you start baking at 7AM.

I baked a loaf of bread starting at 8 but I woke up at 6 hungover as gently caress and had to take the child downstairs and play with and feed the brute. The bread still turned out nicely.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

gonna go get dim sum because exhausted from 12 course menu yesterday. woooooooo Christmas!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

My mom informed me that she's making canned asparagus, and jello salad with whole raw cranberries.

So glad I'm not eating there.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
:woop: I got me an Anova sous-vide machine, and a sous-vide book by Tom Keller to go with it!

...I think I may have put my book priority in the wrong order. While this one is really pretty, and the recipes look fantastic, I'm noting just how serious the guy was when he said this was a book for professional chefs working line kitchens. Some of this I could tweak to turn into home recipes, but goddamn. If nothing else, it's an interesting look into the profession.

Besides, I can always get recipes and tips from the thread we have.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Christmas is much more festive when you start baking drinking at 7AM.

Oh, hello there, bubbly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
nm

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
As per tradition my dad cooked up a heap of palacsinta (crepes) for breakfast. He made three batches worth and it was gone in short order. My brother is cooking a turkey and I am bringing some sides. Cauliflower baked in a garlic cream sauce with prosciutto, green beans with shallots and a warm mustard vinaigrette, and those carrots that .dino (and everyone else now)makes.

I think my niece and nephew won't touch any of them, so I made some plain green beans for them. They are not adventurous eaters, but we are trying.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

therattle posted:

I'd award you a grant for that. Application accepted!

loving Siri...

Grand.

How did I do that??

Posting from iPhone is convenient, but the interface is sucky.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 25, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NosmoKing posted:

How did I do that??

Posting from iPhone is convenient, but the interface is sucky.

Yeah, it was too good to pass up! I think awful app is pretty good, actually.

Main wife made creme caramel, as her parents came for lunch. They (desserts, not in-laws) were really excellent. Afterwards Leo (2 1/3rd) had as much strong Yorkshire blue, Stilton, and mature gruyere as we'd give him.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Woohoo! I got a pressure cooker! To celebrate, I caramelized a soup. Specifically, the Moosewood groundnut stew.

I made this two days ago with the same ingredients and technique. Last time, it was really tasty. This time, it's literally the best soup I have ever eaten.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:)

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
My Dru k Kitchen

We're roasting the things and sauteeing the things and it's great.

Murry Crimmis one n all!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

YEAH DOG posted:

My Dru k Kitchen

We're roasting the things and sauteeing the things and it's great.

Murry Crimmis one n all!

The holiday spirits, indeed. gently caress yeah.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

The holiday spirits, indeed. gently caress yeah.

I'm on the way to drunk. Hopefully I manage to cook these burgers and stumble into work with the best hangover tomomrrow.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nearing the end of this bad boy right now

so boozy so good unf

may switch to 2 year aged nog after this.

:cheers: goon friends!

Merry Christmas!

edit: Mylescatte likes christmas too!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
My mom died today/on Christmas day,
non of us had the opportunity to do some grocery shopping these past days, except for a serious stash of drinks i've bought a few days ago. Luckily that was the most important food group, and enough for the whole tribe

Christmas will never be the same ofcourse, but not in a bad way, I think...
Hopefully, next year will have more smiles, good memories and solid food,

Cheers, and don't forget to have fun when you get the chance! :-)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:saddowns: I'm sorry, paraquat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's 11pm on Xmas night and I'm hanging out in my hotel room after driving to approximately eighty-five locations today to visit everyone I can while I'm in town. Thank goodness I can have some drinks here because having to drive all day combined with a family who finds Miller Lite to be some heavy poo poo doesn't really work for me.

I was so looking forward to the 24 lb fresh ham my dad traditionally makes for Xmas, poked full of garlic cloves. Unfortunately this year I don't know what the gently caress he did but that poo poo was dry as gently caress. I was looking forward to it so much and my heart was basically broken at how bad it was compared to the past. At least my mom's broccoli casserole was delicious. I had made her recipe in the past and wondered why it wasn't the same as growing up - come to find out, Velveeta changed their recipe or some poo poo a couple years ago so instead of just layering Ritz/Velveeta/Broccoli and baking it, she now makes a broccoli and Velveeta slurry that she layers in a tin with a Ritz topping. poo poo is midwestern hotdish-style type, but it's good as hell.

My brother, his wife, and their two kids are estranged from the rest of my family hence the need to stay in a neutral (hotel) location, but having to stop by both of their places multiple times is exhausting. Luckily my older nephew loved his toy, so I'm the best uncle ever.

I'm basically using this post as a Livejournal so thank you all for listening, Merry Christmas, and I'll catch you all on the flip side.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Used my fancy new All-Clad skillet to pan sear a ribeye:

Still haven't figured out how to properly clean the stainless though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Still haven't figured out how to properly clean the stainless though.

Steel wool and barkeeper's friend. Also, fireball is tasty. Not necesarilly great, but tasty.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I made cinnamon rolls out of challah dough last night and let them sit in the fridge, only had to let them warm up a bit and toss them in the oven for the best drat cinnamon rolls I've ever had. Worked out great for a late Christmas brunch with the in-laws. My side of the family did Mexican food for dinner, wasn't too bad but I would have appreciated more flavor.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Amykinz posted:

I made cinnamon rolls out of challah dough last night and let them sit in the fridge, only had to let them warm up a bit and toss them in the oven for the best drat cinnamon rolls I've ever had. Worked out great for a late Christmas brunch with the in-laws. My side of the family did Mexican food for dinner, wasn't too bad but I would have appreciated more flavor.

Man, that sounds fantastic. I've only done cinnamon rolls a few times, and they weren't anything special. I'll try it with challah.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I used the recipe from The Breadmaker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart and Ron Manville, which is a really fabulous but slightly more involved challah recipe. You mix it up and knead it, let it rise once and knock it back down, let it rise again, form it, and then proof it and bake it. I did both rises and just patted it into a rectangle, brushed with melted butter and added cinnamon sugar. Baked the next morning and did a light cream cheese icing and they were perfect.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
@Paraquat - poo poo, condolences, man.

mindphlux posted:

what do y'all cook for holiday times?
Mom has been offloading some of the duty as she's in her 70's. My mom cooked the turkey (she brined it this year, well done mom!)

I am required under pain of death by several family members to produce the mashed potatoes and green bean casserole because I do it properly. Casserole: Blanched and shocked fresh beans cut to just over an inch, mushrooms quartered and sauteed properly in butter, finished with a crisp white wine and a bit of lemon and thyme. Sauce suprême, made with heavy cream, roux, reduced homemade stock, and brightened with a touch of lemon juice and zest. And topped with motherfuckin French's fried onions because ain't nobody got time for that.

BTW, y'all owe mom an apology. We choose names for one gift among the adults. She got me this year. This year's theme, chosen by her was "food." I gave my brother a Vollrath skillet. She got me:

The top thing is a cheesemaking kit. Rennet, cheesecloth, etc. The bottom thing is a modernist cosmopolitan kit. I make a drat good cosmo. It has stuff for foams and encapsulation, alginate and whatnot that I would never buy for myself, but it looks like fun. I may repurpose some of it...

The labeling on the interior is kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pr0k posted:

BTW, y'all owe mom an apology.

Your mom doesn't need to give me any powders to make me espuma all over her spheres.