Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does the BG Tweak pack actually work with the Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition? I miss some of the features like no XP Cap etc. Their site says it does, but a lot of people say some of the options break the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Afaik everything works UNLESS it changes item description text. So xp cap removal and class restriction removal would be fine, adding thief or caster ability in heavy armor screws things up, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mickey McKey posted:

Ah, I dont even know what that means, but that is okay because I do not want to be tempted to do it :v:.

Yep, I am adjusting my tactics and learning, but I stand by my "there are too many mages making the game artificially hard" statement. I have yet to be in a melee that has been a challenge once the hostile spellcaster has died, and I find that really silly. And I hardly ever use offensive spells of my own for crowd control. It helps that my party -despite not being all of the best NPCs- is optimized towards what they are good at and my main is a full-fighter with all the best equipment I can get, but it just seems like the non-mages are far too weak compared to the sheer "fuuuuck he's gotta die" that mages cause.

CLUA Console is the cheat console. You enable it by fiddling with baldur.ini file, it's actually generally a good idea to enable CLUAConsole because it can help rectify bugs and whatnot.

Skippy McPants posted:

How is it fake difficulty? Because it's a mod?

You seem to be arguing something different in each post you make, so I'm kind of losing track of the point you were going for. In the first reply you asked if it added difficulty or tedium, and I more or less said yes. It adds both, but when the alternative is for the game to be easy and still tedious then it seems like a reasonable trade off.

Requiring a complex, but largely uniform, spell preparation and methodology for every single mage fight is fake difficulty because by the time you have the veterancy to play SCS, you have the veterancy to know exactly what is required. It's simply added prep time and...time on the whole. There is no real demand in player performance, just preparation, which I can't reasonably label "difficulty".

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 25, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Basic Chunnel posted:

Afaik everything works UNLESS it changes item description text. So xp cap removal and class restriction removal would be fine, adding thief or caster ability in heavy armor screws things up, etc.

So does that mean like stuff that changes an items type, exotic weapons will break it?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

Ah, I dont even know what that means, but that is okay because I do not want to be tempted to do it :v:.

Yep, I am adjusting my tactics and learning, but I stand by my "there are too many mages making the game artificially hard" statement. I have yet to be in a melee that has been a challenge once the hostile spellcaster has died, and I find that really silly. And I hardly ever use offensive spells of my own for crowd control. It helps that my party -despite not being all of the best NPCs- is optimized towards what they are good at and my main is a full-fighter with all the best equipment I can get, but it just seems like the non-mages are far too weak compared to the sheer "fuuuuck he's gotta die" that mages cause.

To be fair, the only reason mages aren't just as overpowered in IWD2 is they have a fairly gimpy spell list.

3E mages are just as much "god kings of the universe".

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You're all weird. :colbert:

I've been playing since release and my essential tactic for magic users has remained the same: their protections'll run out eventually. And eventually is pretty soon. ProMW, the Mantles and Absolute Immunity all last a fairly paltry four rounds. Stoneskin against just a couple of equivalently levelled fighters is probably lucky to hold out that long - while being vulnerable to elemental damage going through. Wait for that to happen then kill them with swords because they are puny. Meanwhile tank whatever dumb stuff they try to throw at you and kill their lackeys.

I've just never found them the outsized threat that seems to be the consensus and I haven't really felt needed to spend some excessive amount of attention on them. I memorise a couple of Insect Swarms and then never ever use them because I forget about it and don't really need them. I have some Warding Whips/Ruby Rays/Spell Thrusts/Secret Words in my spellbooks, but there's never a good point to use them. If they've layered spell protections on top of combat protections that you think are vital to get rid of, then you have to True Sight them 99% of the time because they've popped Improved Invis at the start. Then you have to take out at least one ward, then you have to hit them with the Breach or whatever, all while not being interrupted. And by that time their protections would have virtually gone anyway and my mages could have much more practically spent their time disabling and/or killing all the other enemies in the battle. AOE bombs are cool too: they hit the enemy warriors you were going to blow up anyway and very few protections stop them. Dead enemy party without loving around. And, really, didn't you want to throw some bombs?

I don't know, it feels like people might just be overthinking it. You could play a game of chess, fitting move against countermove until eventually their king is laid bare. Or you can be the person you were in your first gaming session: one of the demographics that's probably being accounted for and designed for. I am a Fighter. Fighters are tough and hit things hard. I will hit things hard and if they don't drop dead, I'll find something else to hit until they are ready to drop dead. I am a Mage. I am not a boring wizard who memorises weird poo poo in case the enemy wants to protect themselves against my dispelling with an anti-dispel spell, I conjure bloody great explosions and make the mans fall down.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am sure there is a blindingly obvious answer, but where the gently caress does the Steam version of BGEE2 keep it's saves? I am trying to import my just-finished BGEE guy but I cant find a folder to move the save too.

Also, when Sarevok is killed at the end, I get the message about a save file being created but then after a few seconds it just kicks me back to the main menu. Is this normal?

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 25, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair, the only reason mages aren't just as overpowered in IWD2 is they have a fairly gimpy spell list.

3E mages are just as much "god kings of the universe".
IWD2 has some pretty good spells for arcane casters. You don't get Time Stop or Contingency and the high level spell abilities, but then again the latter weren't really part of the core rules while Time Stop in 2E had a 15 foot radius (and in 3E it has a bunch of other restrictions) so the BG2 version was overpowered.

bunnielab posted:

I am sure there is a blindingly obvious answer, but where the gently caress does the Steam version of BGEE2 keep it's saves? I am trying to import my just-finished BGEE guy but I cant find a folder to move the save too.
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\save

Wow, so I looked there and found Final-Save in BGEE1's folder and drag it into BGEE2's folder, fire the game up, load "Final-Save" and it lockes the game up and I have to c/a/d my way out.

Is there any reason not to just use shadowkeeper to rebuild my guy in BG2?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I've been playing since release and my essential tactic for magic users has remained the same: their protections'll run out eventually. And eventually is pretty soon. ProMW, the Mantles and Absolute Immunity all last a fairly paltry four rounds. Stoneskin against just a couple of equivalently levelled fighters is probably lucky to hold out that long - while being vulnerable to elemental damage going through. Wait for that to happen then kill them with swords because they are puny. Meanwhile tank whatever dumb stuff they try to throw at you and kill their lackeys.

I've just never found them the outsized threat that seems to be the consensus and I haven't really felt needed to spend some excessive amount of attention on them. I memorise a couple of Insect Swarms and then never ever use them because I forget about it and don't really need them. I have some Warding Whips/Ruby Rays/Spell Thrusts/Secret Words in my spellbooks, but there's never a good point to use them. If they've layered spell protections on top of combat protections that you think are vital to get rid of, then you have to True Sight them 99% of the time because they've popped Improved Invis at the start. Then you have to take out at least one ward, then you have to hit them with the Breach or whatever, all while not being interrupted. And by that time their protections would have virtually gone anyway and my mages could have much more practically spent their time disabling and/or killing all the other enemies in the battle. AOE bombs are cool too: they hit the enemy warriors you were going to blow up anyway and very few protections stop them. Dead enemy party without loving around. And, really, didn't you want to throw some bombs?

I don't know, it feels like people might just be overthinking it. You could play a game of chess, fitting move against countermove until eventually their king is laid bare. Or you can be the person you were in your first gaming session: one of the demographics that's probably being accounted for and designed for. I am a Fighter. Fighters are tough and hit things hard. I will hit things hard and if they don't drop dead, I'll find something else to hit until they are ready to drop dead. I am a Mage. I am not a boring wizard who memorises weird poo poo in case the enemy wants to protect themselves against my dispelling with an anti-dispel spell, I conjure bloody great explosions and make the mans fall down.

If you're running away until their nastiest protections run out then yeah, they're not that big a deal. Some people are more okay with that than others though :v:

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Agreed. I like to hit things with swords and use my mages as artillery. I want to fill my level 5 slots with cone of cold, not breach.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Requiring a complex, but largely uniform, spell preparation and methodology for every single mage fight is fake difficulty because by the time you have the veterancy to play SCS, you have the veterancy to know exactly what is required. It's simply added prep time and...time on the whole. There is no real demand in player performance, just preparation, which I can't reasonably label "difficulty".

I think this discussion is losing track of what SCS and Tactics (they are quite different) actually do. They add quite a bit of variety and flavour to most of the unique encounters by giving casters specific spell sets, AI and abilities, as well as adding new creatures to encounters. SCS specifically tries to counter the tedium of savscumming by randomizing NPC contingencies and spell sequencers upon each spawn, so a mage that might have elemental resistances and mislead in one fight might start the next with a bunch of spell protections.

"Fake difficulty" as it has been defined thus far does suck, but it would inaccurate and misleading to claim that SCS or Tactics' alterations are all fake difficulty. This conversation was originally about the vanilla game anyways, it's hard to tell what this tangent is even about.

Edit: and for an anecdotal example, some of my unorthodox solutions to difficult mage fights (with a full SCS install even) have included: running away for a bit, parking a mage with fire shield next to the enemy caster, mustard jelly polymorph, summoning 5 fiends in succession, thief traps everywhere, dominating the mage's buddies and stacking all the magic resistance items on one fighter. There's always another solution.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 25, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

bunnielab posted:

Wow, so I looked there and found Final-Save in BGEE1's folder and drag it into BGEE2's folder, fire the game up, load "Final-Save" and it lockes the game up and I have to c/a/d my way out.

Is there any reason not to just use shadowkeeper to rebuild my guy in BG2?
Try loading the final save in BG1EE, pausing and exporting your PC from the record screen. Move that to the BG2 "characters" folder.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think the easiest solution here is probably just to do whichever you enjoy more. I enjoy the whole "spell defense/stripping" game you have to play, so I like SCS. For those who don't, uh, don't use the mod? It's pretty optional.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i am going to just play BGT over the EE, because i kind of like Acension, but does anyone have a link to that increased font for Baldurs gate when using widescreen mod?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

Try loading the final save in BG1EE, pausing and exporting your PC from the record screen. Move that to the BG2 "characters" folder.

Dont see a BG2 "characters" folder in either location. I even started a test BG2 game to see if a folder was generated.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you paste the folder the game will recognize it (same for custom portraits). You can't load the save because BG2 doesn't have most of BG1's assets in it. You load the exported character into a new game.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
You don't need to load the BG1 save game nor do you need to export the characters. Just put the final save in the BG2 folder and when you start a BG2 game tell it you want to load characters from a saved game, and point it to the one you want.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It's always been my experience that simply trying to dogpile most of the decently challenging mage encounters in BG2 with a wall of bulked up warrior flesh generally results in a lot of dead warriors and a lot of loaded save games. Five guys wailing on a powerful mage can strip a stoneskin pretty quick, but can they do it before three of them are lobotomized and wandering around confused and the other two have their flesh melting off? Only an Inquisitor really makes this kind of approach feasible.

Zerg rushing works really well in IWD though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Am I the only one who found that SCS doesn't really change that much in my approach to mages? I guess it extends them by a round or so, but the only difference is having to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal first if they had used SI:Abjuration or Spell Trap, and Pierce Magic if they had Spell Turning. Otherwise its just the same - Breach and then bash them with weapons. I guess I'm of the opinion that this just adds tedium to fights.

What I like about the mod are the other AI enhancements that improve their targeting and responses to play buffs and such. I also really like the player scripts it adds, they go a long way to removing the tedium of buffing and healing your party after fights and its nice having a fighter script that will auto attack but won't randomly switch your target if you've told it to attack something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

fong posted:

Am I the only one who found that SCS doesn't really change that much in my approach to mages? I guess it extends them by a round or so, but the only difference is having to cast Ruby Ray of Reversal first if they had used SI:Abjuration or Spell Trap, and Pierce Magic if they had Spell Turning. Otherwise its just the same - Breach and then bash them with weapons. I guess I'm of the opinion that this just adds tedium to fights.

What I like about the mod are the other AI enhancements that improve their targeting and responses to play buffs and such. I also really like the player scripts it adds, they go a long way to removing the tedium of buffing and healing your party after fights and its nice having a fighter script that will auto attack but won't randomly switch your target if you've told it to attack something.
This is really trivializing how a lot of the harder SCS mage fights actually go, and the mage fights are generally pretty varied. As formulaic as the general approaches to mages go, it generally doesn't end up like this in practice due to all sorts of stuff that can go wrong.

This is typically because the enemy mages will do a lot of poo poo against you in the 3 rounds it takes to debuff them (1st for removing invis, 2nd for SI, and the 3rd for breach). And then you will usually have to do it again when a contingency kicks in. And then usually the last contingency is just PfMW and you can simply swap to normal weapons at that point.

But during that time you will see at least one or two dispel magics thrown against you, and then CC or direct damage spells later in the game (why hello horrid wilting and dragon's breath!). Your mage can doing his best to debuff the mage, but what do you do when your mage gets dispelled during this (since enemy caster dispels are way stronger than yours, as their mage levels are hopelessly set high in SCS), and then starts getting their face smashed in by Balor demons that got gated in. Do you delay the debuffing process to put up your own spell protections again, etc.

Chain contingency of course, really starts to smash mages though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

No. As far as I can tell Demi-Liches don't count as undead because Sunray does fuckall to them so you still need a plan for Demi-Lich Kangaxx.

I think last time I did this I double Daystarred Kangaxx Phase 1 to instantly send him into Phase 2, then slapped him with the Mace of Disruption with Improved Haste to kill him before he could imprison anybody. Something like that.

Demi-liches do count as undead, they're just immune to spell levels 1 through 9, hence immune to sunray.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What is this Shadow Keeper thing I have seen mentioned? A character editor I am assuming? Does it work with steam versions of BG2EE? I may want to convert my character away from pure fighter considering making one was an ill-concieved idea and I am not going to feel like re-doing all of my progress.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mickey McKey posted:

What is this Shadow Keeper thing I have seen mentioned? A character editor I am assuming? Does it work with steam versions of BG2EE? I may want to convert my character away from pure fighter considering making one was an ill-concieved idea and I am not going to feel like re-doing all of my progress.

Yes, though the version for EE is called EEKeeper.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah its a save file editor. Keep in mind that the editor isn't retroactive. Like if you just swap your Fighter class for the Wizard class and leave it at that then you'll end up with a character whose title is "Wizard" but they have all the same Fighter stats and no spells. You'll have to manually alter those values. I find the easiest thing to do is set the class you want and then set their stats to what they would be at level one. Then give them the appropriate the XP value and manually level up in-game. Helps in making sure you get the right stat/skill growths.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, the simplest way to spice up your pure Fighter would be to switch their race to Human and tinker with their stat points so you can dual class into a Thief, Mage, or Cleric. That won't screw up any of your abilities or proficiencies. If you wanted to change to a multiclass, fighter kit, or another class entirely then you're best off basically resetting your character in the editor and then using the CLUA console command to give you your old experience points and manually level up in game.

Edit:

Editing your class is an enormous pain in the rear end, I gotta be honest with you.

Err, unless I'm missing something, it takes like 10-15 minutes maximum to "reset" a character and level them back up manually in game? I've done this several times and essentially completely remade characters. The only thing that's tedious or time consuming is adding mage spells to your book if you are switching to mage and don't want to dick around with tracking down a bunch of scrolls.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

Editing your class is an enormous pain in the rear end, I gotta be honest with you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hah aight thanks guys. Maybe I'll download it to check it out but not rely on it to fix my idiocy :downs: my idea was to start over from scratch just to level up differently so I could make my human be dual class if nothing else. Is it also possible to give myself gold if I accidentally sell something I wanted to keep and have to buy it back?

edit: I guess I can answer that for myself when I get home and download the program :v:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mickey McKey posted:

Hah aight thanks guys. Maybe I'll download it to check it out but not rely on it to fix my idiocy :downs: my idea was to start over from scratch just to level up differently so I could make my human be dual class if nothing else. Is it also possible to give myself gold if I accidentally sell something I wanted to keep and have to buy it back?
Download EEKeeper if you want to use it on BG2EE instead. If you changed your class you'd need to manually edit your hit points, saving throws, spell slots, special abilities, known spells, etc. It's quite a hassle. To be honest I don't think it's necessary. You have a full party so it's not as if you are missing a class and need your PC to fill it in. A fighter PC can handle the game fine.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

edit: I guess I can answer that for myself when I get home and download the program :v:

Yes but it'd be easier to just give yourself gold through the CLUAConsole while still in the game.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Factor_VIII posted:

Download EEKeeper if you want to use it on BG2EE instead. If you changed your class you'd need to manually edit your hit points, saving throws, spell slots, special abilities, known spells, etc. It's quite a hassle. To be honest I don't think it's necessary. You have a full party so it's not as if you are missing a class and need your PC to fill it in. A fighter PC can handle the game fine.

I guess the idea of setting your level to zero doesn't really work if you're doing this on your main character, since they would be considered dead when you load the game?

Actually nevermind I think you can just set HP to 1 and you'll be fine.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 26, 2013

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Any of the times I wanted to start a new character without losing progress, I would copy my save into the multiplayer folder, start a multiplayer game, and then delete the main character and make a new one in the party edit screen. Then I'd copy the new save back to single player and just Console the XP value back to where it was.

I'd give all my items to other party members or put them in boxes first, naturally.

The only thing this noticeably screwed up was the information page, where the main character would have the lowest "time spent with party" value.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does Baldur's Gate Tutu do anything that EE doesn't? I got a Steam gift card from a relative for Christmas and Tutu is getting to be a bit of a pain in the rear end to mess with whenever I want to reinstall BG.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have my guy imported and just escaped the into dungeon.

My party so far, doing an evil/CN playthrough:

PC-Half Ork Fighter/Cleric
Dorn
Hexat
Korgan

I want to use Edwin as my mage and unsure of who else to pick up as my 6th spot. I am leaning towards Haer'Dalis but could go Jan or Viconia if more casters are needed.

Also, I have done the fighter stronghold quest in an other playthough but never the others. If my PC is a Fighter/Cleric then what quests can I get?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Whichever stronghold you accept first. If you do De'arnise before the Unseeing Eye, decline the fighter stronghold and you should still be offered the cleric one later.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rascyc posted:

This is really trivializing how a lot of the harder SCS mage fights actually go, and the mage fights are generally pretty varied. As formulaic as the general approaches to mages go, it generally doesn't end up like this in practice due to all sorts of stuff that can go wrong.

This is typically because the enemy mages will do a lot of poo poo against you in the 3 rounds it takes to debuff them (1st for removing invis, 2nd for SI, and the 3rd for breach). And then you will usually have to do it again when a contingency kicks in. And then usually the last contingency is just PfMW and you can simply swap to normal weapons at that point.

But during that time you will see at least one or two dispel magics thrown against you, and then CC or direct damage spells later in the game (why hello horrid wilting and dragon's breath!). Your mage can doing his best to debuff the mage, but what do you do when your mage gets dispelled during this (since enemy caster dispels are way stronger than yours, as their mage levels are hopelessly set high in SCS), and then starts getting their face smashed in by Balor demons that got gated in. Do you delay the debuffing process to put up your own spell protections again, etc.

Chain contingency of course, really starts to smash mages though.

Most balanced parties have at least 2 arcane users so it only takes one round to stip protections then a second round to cast Breach, particularly once you start to pick up those wands with breach/pierce magic in them. Point is there are only one or maybe two extra spells you have to cast.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's not true at all, have you actually played the mod??

I mean I get what you're saying, but you're oversimplifying the impact of the mod and the encounters it changes. Take the house with three Rakshasa, it's a pretty challenging fight even though you know the formulas.

Or the fight in the wizard's sphere against the necromancer and his two mage cronies who instantly gate in three demons and will then shadow door. The necro will even simalcrum on the hardest difficulties or whatever.

There's a bunch of these with various twists. In general the meta-magic duels are not about single mage vs mage fights, it's about entire parties that involve mages against you. The Circle fight, the Divine Fury party, etc.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 26, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious posted:

Whichever stronghold you accept first. If you do De'arnise before the Unseeing Eye, decline the fighter stronghold and you should still be offered the cleric one later.

Thanks. Which one is cooler?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

bunnielab posted:

Thanks. Which one is cooler?

Fighter one is cooler but if you've already done it once then you might as well do the cleric one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That's not true at all, have you actually played the mod??

I mean I get what you're saying, but you're oversimplifying the impact of the mod and the encounters it changes. Take the house with three Rakshasa, it's a pretty challenging fight even though you know the formulas.

Or the fight in the wizard's sphere against the necromancer and his two mage cronies who instantly gate in three demons and will then shadow door. The necro will even simalcrum on the hardest difficulties or whatever.

There's a bunch of these with various twists. In general the meta-magic duels are not about single mage vs mage fights, it's about entire parties that involve mages against you. The Circle fight, the Divine Fury party, etc.

You've got me wrong, I'm not saying SCS isn't harder. I was addressing the conversation about mage buffing and its issues, my point was that in terms of the buffs you have to remove from mages its just a bit more tedious than before but the approach is still more or less the same. Like I said, I really like the improved scripts and the way the AI actually uses its spells.