Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You mean with a 1/4" square hole in one end, a 7mm hex hole in the other? Pretty much every screwdriver/hex set I've bought had one, I think I have about 5 of those now & have never used them, ever :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not quite. However, I found them, once I learned that the little bits are often referred to as 4mm hex bits.

This will allow me to just pick up one quality driver and have a wide array of both stronger full-size, and smaller precision bits.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh they do miniature hex bits? Huh, never knew that.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

Oh they do miniature hex bits? Huh, never knew that.

they come on some Swiss Army knives, they're pretty handy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
My neighbor borrowed and broke my breaker bar :( Was my favorite tool, too.

Jonny 290 posted:

Excellent tips on the battery pack rebuilds, guys, with any luck and about $30 I should have two new packs for this pretty nice Panasonic! Sure beats my other cordless drill, which was a 12v that I literally bolted jumper cables to. Eh, it's portable enough.
I rebuilt a battery pack for my drill a few years back; worked well enough but still ended up being rather expensive and was hard to fit back into the original packaging due to the extra bulk of the solder joints compared to the original, and I don't think I'd do it again.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone looking for a last minute stocking stuffer, the Craftsman bottle cap wrench is $5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944500000P?aff=Y&PID=4485850&AID=11042411&sid=IAx20050830x000545

Great bottle opener that feels and looks impressive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons: Halfords have their 150pc socket set on the same half-price offer as their others, only it comes with a set of spanners as a freebie if I buy it online today. Now, I actually only want the spanners, so if someone wants to take the set itself off my hands and thus get it even cheaper, let me know. Would be untouched and with the receipt, should you wish to make it a Christmas gift for someone.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If I didn't already own basically the entire set in piecemeal form I'd take that off you in a heartbeat. As it is I'm eyeing up their £200 tool chest offer again, I could probably convince myself I deserve it. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

If I didn't already own basically the entire set in piecemeal form I'd take that off you in a heartbeat.
That's pretty much the reason I don't need it! Hell, the purpose of the spanners is mainly to double up on everything as well as gaining a couple of bigger ones.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 22, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

We bought a 10 pack of cheap lovely screwdriver bits at work a few years ago that came in 2 part rubber cases (like these on ebay

I got a bunch of these and order is restored. I also threw away a bunch of ruined bits, which felt cathartic.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone looking for a last minute stocking stuffer, the Craftsman bottle cap wrench is $5: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944500000P?aff=Y&PID=4485850&AID=11042411&sid=IAx20050830x000545

Great bottle opener that feels and looks impressive.

Man, I hate seeing that for $5 when I ponied up $15 for mine back last year. It's a great bottle opener, though, and one I always go for.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Is there a recommendation for an OBD2 reader for an iPhone? I've seen people use cables and wifi adapters.

Which adapter is the best, and which app to go with it?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

Is there a recommendation for an OBD2 reader for an iPhone? I've seen people use cables and wifi adapters.

Which adapter is the best, and which app to go with it?

The general consensus is to get a crappy $50 no-commitment Android phone with Bluetooth. The Wifi ones that work with iPhone are incredibly expensive, and limited.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

West SAAB Story posted:

The general consensus is to get a crappy $50 no-commitment Android phone with Bluetooth. The Wifi ones that work with iPhone are incredibly expensive, and limited.

Really? eBay is full of $20 wifi models. Are they junk?

I've been considering getting a cheap android tablet for playing with, but if I could use my iPhone I'd rather stick with that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrakeriderCa posted:

Really? eBay is full of $20 wifi models. Are they junk?

I've been considering getting a cheap android tablet for playing with, but if I could use my iPhone I'd rather stick with that.

To various degree of 'working', I suppose. Every time it comes up, someone says "Too limited or too expensive." Take your pick. :shrug:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Even if the hardware sort of worked, I don't think there's any software for iOS anywhere near what Torque is on android.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jammyozzy posted:

If I didn't already own basically the entire set in piecemeal form I'd take that off you in a heartbeat. As it is I'm eyeing up their £200 tool chest offer again, I could probably convince myself I deserve it. :v:

Me too. It's a shame that by the time you think you can almost justify buying a really nice set of tools, you've already got most of them in 'pretty good' quality (unless you are professional spanner-jockey).

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

eddiewalker posted:

Even if the hardware sort of worked, I don't think there's any software for iOS anywhere near what Torque is on android.
Still, it's a crying shame apple had to lock down BT like that. Fortunately, you can craigslist an old droid for well under $50, set it up as a standalone wifi tablet, buy a BT OBDII reader, and be all in for less than even a basic-function auto store OBDII reader.

Would be moderately useful as a (semi-permamant?) aux gauge cluster, too.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Can anyone recommend a tool box that is basically a small bench-top tool chest? I want a metal tool box with drawers for wrenches and sockets. Everything I carry with me fits pretty neatly into a 19" box so I'd like something similar in size to that.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Can anyone recommend a tool box that is basically a small bench-top tool chest? I want a metal tool box with drawers for wrenches and sockets. Everything I carry with me fits pretty neatly into a 19" box so I'd like something similar in size to that.

http://www.sears.com/26-in-6-drawer-heavy-duty-ball-bearing/p-00937711000P?prdNo=3

The one I have is discontinued, but its the same as above except it has a removable parts organizer instead of the top 3 little drawers. Something like that is nice because you can put it on a cart and wheel it out to the driveway where you are working on your car. You can probably find something similar at harbor freight for cheaper, and the US General boxes seem to have a good reputation on this forum.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Astonishing Wang posted:

Kobalt makes a quite nice 3-drawer and lid model, much better than the Craftsman or HF options that I could find. Only got rid of it because I upgraded to a serious wheelbox.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

grover posted:

My neighbor borrowed and broke my breaker bar :( Was my favorite tool, too.

I am reportedly a gorilla (though these reports are likely false, it's the 4 foot pipe doing the work) and have been unable to break this tool. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-drive-20-inch-quick-release-breaker-bar-98270.html

Get yourself one of those and two of their 3/4 drive impact adapter sets and forget about ever breaking a breaker bar again. If you don't like having disposable/temporary use (lifetime warranty) tools, get a snapon 3/4 to 1/2 drive adapter instead of the two HF sets and be happy.

I have leaned on that breaker bar with 4 feet of pipe (so around 5 feet of actual lever arm) and done things to it that would have broken dozens of 1/2" breaker bars. And it's removed every nut and remains unbroken.

It removed a 36mm axle nut (factory torque 175 foot pounds) that was so heavily rusted in place my IR231 wouldn't budge it and I broke two Husky 1/2 breaker bars and a Craftsman ratchet before buying the 3/4 drive breaker bar.

It has removed half a dozen dana 60 pinion nuts at this point, which are factory torqued to 230 foot pounds and then cemented in place with a decade of road salt blast.

I broke a Ranger bed mounting bolt (M12, iirc, and hardened) in half with it last night because the 1/2" breaker was starting to flex and I wasn't in the mood to break tools.

I was breaking a 1/2" Husky bar every week or so by the time I gave up and got this one, and won't recommend any other breaker for salt belt residents now.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 24, 2013

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
EN about welder shopping incoming! :emo:

Shopping for a MIG welder is annoying.

The consensus seems to be that ultimately nicer machines are often worth it because of parts availability, quality of parts (especially the wire feeder which is plastic in cheap units and aluminum in nicer units) and customer service should you need anything.

The consensus ends there. Half of the time I'm reading someone will say "don't buy that entry level MIG, I'm a professional welder, so you should buy a huge pro MIG" which seems similar to a Semi driver suggesting that someone pickup truck shopping by a Kenworth. Or it ends up like when I called my local welding supply shop to ask about the Hobart welder I've been looking at only for them to recommend a Mig/Tig/Stick unit that doesn't appear to have been on the market for much more than a month: http://www.welders-direct.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=THA-W1003141&Category_Code=MW

Shopping CL and Ebay just confirms that the big name brands (Lincoln, Miller, Hobart) stay expensive enough that buying new is pretty much worth it, and shopping online hasn't elicited the sales on any of those brands that I'd have thought would be available this time of year... I've found free shipping, but that seems to be about it.

:bravo2: I guess if nothing else having the money to shop for a welder in the first place isn't bad, so I should probably stop complaining, but I honestly wasn't expecting such diverse opinions and equipment options.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
When I was shopping for a single-phase MIG a year ago, I heard a lot of suggestions for the Hobart 140, and ended up finding an open box at Northern Tool. I remember seeing deals on refurb units pop up every so often, maybe from N+T as well.

I can't really comment on its performance because it's the only unit I've ever used, but it's solidly built and it's been easy enough to learn on.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 24, 2013

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any of the three are going to do the job. Your only concern should be budget. Lincoln has supplies available at most home stores. Hobart is owned by Miller and uses last gen technology. Miller makes drat solid machines- which perform very well. I'm buying a Hobart for my father for sheet metal repair. Anything larger then that, he can come and use my 240v Miller. You just missed Zoro tools offering 30% the Hobard 140. I believe it was $410 shipped.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I really like my Lincoln Weld-Pak 140 from Home Depot. Its a cheaper machine (got it on sale for $450), but 120V is pretty useful since I have a 220V/250A Miller stick welder for heavy duty stuff. I usually run .030 fluxcore in the 140, I haven't leased a bottle yet and made the move to MIG.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

When I was shopping for a single-phase MIG a year ago, I heard a lot of suggestions for the Hobart 140, and ended up finding an open box at Northern Tool. I remember seeing deals on refurb units pop up every so often, maybe from N+T as well.

I can't really comment on its performance because it's the only unit I've ever used, but it's solidly built and it's been easy enough to learn on.

So the Hobart 140 has been the #1 unit I've been looking at... I keep coming back to it for a balance of price, quality and performance as I understand it... NT has a $50 gift card if you spend $500 and free shipping, which is the current best deal I've found.

the spyder posted:

Any of the three are going to do the job. Your only concern should be budget. Lincoln has supplies available at most home stores. Hobart is owned by Miller and uses last gen technology. Miller makes drat solid machines- which perform very well. I'm buying a Hobart for my father for sheet metal repair. Anything larger then that, he can come and use my 240v Miller. You just missed Zoro tools offering 30% the Hobard 140. I believe it was $410 shipped.

What do you mean by last gen technology? As in, is something good missing?

I think my dad has the same Miller you do, which I've always got as a backup if I need it.

That Zoro Tools deal... ARGH :argh: I'm seriously gnashing my teeth. I've been googling and watching Hobart 140 prices for the past few weeks and not only did I not see that, but it's the best price I've seen :( :(

DJ Commie posted:

I really like my Lincoln Weld-Pak 140 from Home Depot. Its a cheaper machine (got it on sale for $450), but 120V is pretty useful since I have a 220V/250A Miller stick welder for heavy duty stuff. I usually run .030 fluxcore in the 140, I haven't leased a bottle yet and made the move to MIG.

I'd by the Lincoln 140 if I could find it that cheap (that's a really good price), but haven't seen it anywhere. With no sale price I lean towards the Hobart since it's Miller made and I have positive experience with a Miller MIG.

I'll likely short term lease a smaller bottle for thinner sheet metal so I have less grinding to do when those projects come up, but use fluxcore for non cosmetic projects where it doesn't make a difference.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It took me two years of trolling Craig's list, but I got my Millermatic 210 with a bottle and the spool gun for $1100. Different level of machine than you are looking for, but the advice holds true. If you want new, that Hobart is good for a 120 volt machine. Personally, I'd go for the Millermatic 211, which can do 120/240 volt.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Personally, I'd go for the Millermatic 211, which can do 120/240 volt.

This is my plan for late next year although depending on funds at the time I might go with the Hobart version since it's much cheaper. 240 is a pretty big increase in duty cycle and thickness and having the 120 option makes it easy to use almost anywhere. It's kinda expensive but would handle everything I need for a long time.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Yeah, I'm pretty much just looking at 120v MIGs in the $4-600 range, if I'm going to jump up in price beyond that I'd almost would want to start looking at inverter MTS units rather than just a 240 MIG.

I don't know that I'd ever need to MIG anything over 1/4" if that thick even. Even my pie-in-the-sky ideas wouldn't require material over 1/4". And really, while something like an MTS unit sounds cool in my head for stick and TIG, I don't know that I'd ever utilize those enough to make the price jump worth it, even if it'd be nice to have a super compact and light machine.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'll likely short term lease a smaller bottle for thinner sheet metal so I have less grinding to do when those projects come up, but use fluxcore for non cosmetic projects where it doesn't make a difference.

I'm not sure you will want to go back to fluxcore after using gas! Can you not buy disposable bottles in the US? We can get these and they work out well for occasional use.

You can also get pub gas bottles refilled with CO2 and argon over here which also works out much cheaper than renting for the usage you will give it at home. There must be similar for you?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tomarse posted:

I'm not sure you will want to go back to fluxcore after using gas! Can you not buy disposable bottles in the US? We can get these and they work out well for occasional use.

You can also get pub gas bottles refilled with CO2 and argon over here which also works out much cheaper than renting for the usage you will give it at home. There must be similar for you?

I'm not sure, fluxcore seems like it has it's place when it comes to ease of use. Regarding the gas, I'm not sure if the laws here allow for disposable tanks? Even if they do, there is a welding supply shop within the path of my daily commute so it isn't too big of a deal to refill them.

I've basically spent the past few days reading a LOT about welding, welders, etc and watching videos. Now I'm actually kind of leaning towards getting a DC TIG/Stick setup since I can just borrow my dad's MIG setup or go over to his shop to use it if I'm really in need of one. I figure if I really like TIG I'll then step up to an AC/DC unit in the future if I want to try aluminum.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I picked up a Lincoln Power Mig 180C a few years back for about a grand Australian and its done everything ive thrown at it. If im in the situation where i need to weld anything thicker than 10mm I go to work and use the big three phase WIA mig there.

Ive done everything from sheet metal repairs to taking it to work to work on a path edge where I was welding 6m x75x 5mm flat stock into path edging with a piece of rebar as a pin welded on every half a meter using flux core at massive amps and it didnt even flinch after about 7hrs straight

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Zorro is doing 26% off today, plus fee shipping. Not as good as 30%, but worth a look.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I've got a Weld-Pak 100. It's a nice tiny thing that does a good job for what it is. Having 120v and low enough draw to run off a portable generator + flux core makes it quite useful for outside repair.

I've used it a bunch and it just keep on trucking. It's really well made, and I assume your 140 is even better than this old thing.

Tomarse posted:

I'm not sure you will want to go back to fluxcore after using gas!

FCAW has it's places. Those are "outside in the wind" and "my machine is too small to GMAW this thickness, let's throw in the flux core."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, my used lincoln procore 100 (chrisgt also has the same one) I got for $100 will do an awful lot, I can weld 1/4 to 1/4 with a couple passes and with lots of beveling have even done 1/4 to 1" plate... well enough that it barely cracked when the bumper took a direct hit hard enough to bend a piece of 2x6 1/4" wall box tube and give me whiplash.

Fluxcore has its place, it definitely burns a lot hotter than mig for the same current. Don't bother if it is going in an inside box corner that needs to be pretty though, you'll never get all the flux and weld spatter out of there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can't speak for Amazon.com, but Canadians might want to keep their eyes open on amazon.ca for some really good tool deals for today/boxing week.

Just snagged this:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001E281DG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For $75

and this:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003LST02W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $81 ($101 flash deal - $20 instant Bosch rebate)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Zoro tools is 25% off TODAY ONLY!!!!

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

I've had a Hobart 140 for about 3 years. It works great within it's range and I produce better welds with it than I can with the ~6 month old Millermatic 140 auto-set at work. I've never had it overheat on me and I have done my best to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ugh, why can't my parents live near Harbor Freight? We need a stubby 3/8" open ended wrench. $8 at the local hardware store, $20 for an sae set. "But it's Craftsman!" they tried to tell me. I can get an sae and metric set in stubby and regular lengths for that much at HF! Gonna try jamming a small adjustable wrench in there instead. (need to pull out the thermocouple from a tight spot in the furnace)

I'm starting to take cheap, disposable tools for granted...