Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RBX posted:

Is there a reason everybody is being smug about the Moto X now?
What's not to like about it? It's getting updates as fast as the Nexus, it's got great extra features, it's customizable, and it's more comfortable to hold than any other Android phone. It also doesn't violate design guidelines, it doesn't spec pander, and you can get it locked or unlocked, your call.

Really the only downside is no wireless charging (Dr. rear end in a top hat was right, it owns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

THF13 posted:

To not be a sarcastic dick, there aren't any rumors of a new moto phone coming out yet, but check back when you are ready for an upgrade because a updated version of the Moto X seems like a no brainer for the company, especially with how much they've already invested in the Texas assembly plant.

The Moto X shipped toward the end of August, so barely four months ago. If it were July, it'd make sense to wait. But right now, just go buy it and enjoy it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

plus detection of when you are driving and more.

Driving mode is awesome, it can notify you that you got a text, who from, and read it aloud, and you can reply without hitting a button. It also announces who is calling and lets you answer the call with a voice command, and auto detects when you're driving so you don't have to do anything special. It really has come in handy in lovely Michigan winter weather.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Driving mode is awesome, it can notify you that you got a text, who from, and read it aloud, and you can reply without hitting a button. It also announces who is calling and lets you answer the call with a voice command, and auto detects when you're driving so you don't have to do anything special. It really has come in handy in lovely Michigan winter weather.

All this gadgetry is making me want to port out of Google Voice so I can enjoy all the touchless features :(

Just wish GV+Hangout integration was here already. Silence is deafening.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

1st AD posted:

:psyduck: wow how does poo poo like that even happen? I can understand dropping it on the floor, into the bath, in the ocean, but gently caress man a glass presents a real small target.

It was like a perfect combination of events.

I had checked my phone and left it on the arm of the sofa behind my head, next to the empty box of malteasers I had on the arm of the sofa.

I had got myself a drink of water and thought "Should I put this on the side table? Nah I'll put it on the floor as it's closer".

My nan has arthritis in her hands so she's a little clumsy these days, went to fuss around me and clear up the box of malteasers, knocked the phone and couldn't grab it and it landed straight in the glass. The odds of it landing straight in it must have been pretty long.

In any case, I'm hoping as the HTC One is a sealed unit a very brief coat of water isn't going to fry everything at least until I have insurance sorted and enough time to look innocent. If not then all I can say is welp.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Kitchner posted:

In any case, I'm hoping as the HTC One is a sealed unit a very brief coat of water isn't going to fry everything at least until I have insurance sorted and enough time to look innocent. If not then all I can say is welp.

There is nothing sealed about the HTC One when it comes to water. Unless you have a Sony, water instantly gets into every crevice of the phone and most likely shorts it the gently caress out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

There is nothing sealed about the HTC One when it comes to water. Unless you have a Sony, water instantly gets into every crevice of the phone and most likely shorts it the gently caress out.
It's actually worse since you can't remove the battery.

big mean giraffe posted:

I really wish I didn't buy phones just so I have things to fiddle with because the X is really a great device to have and just not have to worry about or gently caress with. It's like the anti-Samsung.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

It's actually worse since you can't remove the battery.
I really wish I didn't buy phones just so I have things to fiddle with because the X is really a great device to have and just not have to worry about or gently caress with. It's like the anti-Samsung.

Have you considered getting a good phone and like an Arduino or something?

Fat Man
Jul 22, 2003
(optional; no images are allowed, only text)

THF13 posted:

To not be a sarcastic dick, there aren't any rumors of a new moto phone coming out yet, but check back when you are ready for an upgrade because a updated version of the Moto X seems like a no brainer for the company, especially with how much they've already invested in the Texas assembly plant.

I largely agree, and the thing is I'd like an upgrade sooner rather than later (I've been eligible for about a year). March was more of just a guess timeframe on at which point I really won't be able to stand it anymore. Combine that with the fact that last year Samsung and HTC both came out with new phones in the March-May timeframe, I was thinking Moto may do a short cycle between the X and whatever the next phone is.

Maybe I will end up just saying screw it and get the X.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

big mean giraffe posted:

Is there a way to get it to read out the text you dictated before you send it? That's the only thing that's been harshing my driving mode buzz.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered getting a good phone and like an Arduino or something?
Yeah I've considered it but I'm old and married with no kids and I work overnight, it's not like the phone is the most important thing in my life. My wife likes Android a lot so fiddling with it allows me to be able to fix her phone when it shits itself plus I get to help people with theirs here and in real life which I like doing.

I'm pretty good about enjoying the stuff I enjoy so if it ever gets to be unenjoyable I'll stop doing it and find something else to do to pass time. I figure it's more useful than filling my mornings with TV and it's nice to be able to help a friend fix his son's phone and have him help me with some carpentry or something. It's far better than loving with Windows PCs which is what I used to and what screwing with Android replaced.

It's not like an Arduino or something would be useful either, it's just busywork to pass the time and there are blogs to read, gaffes to laugh at, and Google to criticize. If it gets stressful though, gently caress it, but I'm not there yet. :)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="423639625"]
Is there a way to get it to read out the text you dictated before you send it? That's the only thing that's been harshing my driving mode buzz.

Not that I know of, but it does a pretty drat good job if you speak clearly and enunciate your words.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I've considered it but I'm old and married with no kids and I work overnight, it's not like the phone is the most important thing in my life. My wife likes Android a lot so fiddling with it allows me to be able to fix her phone when it shits itself plus I get to help people with theirs here and in real life which I like doing.

I'm pretty good about enjoying the stuff I enjoy so if it ever gets to be unenjoyable I'll stop doing it and find something else to do to pass time. I figure it's more useful than filling my mornings with TV and it's nice to be able to help a friend fix his son's phone and have him help me with some carpentry or something. It's far better than loving with Windows PCs which is what I used to and what screwing with Android replaced.

It's not like an Arduino or something would be useful either, it's just busywork to pass the time and there are blogs to read, gaffes to laugh at, and Google to criticize. If it gets stressful though, gently caress it, but I'm not there yet. :)

Sounds like you should get your wife a Moto X. :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I was given a set of headphones with music/call controls and a mic for christmas, but volume adjustent only seems to be functional when plugged into an iDevice. Do you guys have suggested brands or models that actually work with Android phones?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have a set of Skull Candy ones that work on my iPhone AND Nexus 7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, my phone certainly has calmed down as far as battery consumption goes.

I'm at 42% battery left at 47 hours off charge. It's been very light use since I didn't use my phone much over christmas. There's only 1 hour of screen on time and the only other real use it got was streaming music to my car over bluetooth for about 90 minutes.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I just got a Bluetooth speaker set, and whenever my phone's paired with it the notifications are muted regardless of the volume settings. Is there a way to fix this? Google says there's apps that'll route notifications to the Bluetooth speaker, but if possible I'd rather have them come from the phone itself.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

hotsauce posted:

Yeah I know it's not water proof or anything like that, so it's a bit of a long shot to make sure noting gets damaged.

The phone has been working all day today but I know these things can creep in over time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dark One posted:

I was given a set of headphones with music/call controls and a mic for christmas, but volume adjustent only seems to be functional when plugged into an iDevice. Do you guys have suggested brands or models that actually work with Android phones?

The stock headphones that come with the Samsung S4 have volume buttons that work on all current Android phones (model is Samsung EO-HS3303WE).

They're very cheap off of Amazon but you MUST replace the stock eartips if you want to get good sound with them. The stock tips don't seal properly on the nozzle and noticeably degrade the sound quality. Sony, Philips or JVC eartips all work fine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Dark One posted:

I've bought a bunch of these headphones, and they work with my phone. I've been though five pairs, not because they break, but I lose them. At 4 bucks, who cares?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C5S3AU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
http://www.htc.com/assets-desktop/images/softwareupdates/HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.jpg

HTC came out with an info graphic of how carrier branded phones, unlocked phones, and Google Play edition phones get updated. It's amazing how much carriers get in the way for the carrier branded phones.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mister Fister posted:

http://www.htc.com/assets-desktop/images/softwareupdates/HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.jpg

HTC came out with an info graphic of how carrier branded phones, unlocked phones, and Google Play edition phones get updated. It's amazing how much carriers get in the way for the carrier branded phones.

Eh I mean yeah, carrier bloat sucks. I don't think anyone really likes the extra apps they shove on your phone (although you can completely disable many of them nowadays) but I really don't have a problem with a carrier wanting to test an update some more before they release it upon all of their users. In the end, they're the first ones who have to deal with all the overhead a bad update would bring.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--
Crossposting from the post I made on XDA about my Nexus 5 and Google's wireless charger:

I just figured out what to do with my second charger. Stupid cable DRM crap Google put on the charger made it a huge pain to get the cable to reach but luckily the LG cable that came with my Nexus 5 was about 6 inches longer, and my old Thinkpad AC cable works on Google's AC adapter.

This is handy for Chromecasting and probably Allcast (once I get around to rooting my chromecast).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robpol86 posted:

Crossposting from the post I made on XDA about my Nexus 5 and Google's wireless charger:

I just figured out what to do with my second charger. Stupid cable DRM crap Google put on the charger made it a huge pain to get the cable to reach but luckily the LG cable that came with my Nexus 5 was about 6 inches longer, and my old Thinkpad AC cable works on Google's AC adapter.

This is handy for Chromecasting and probably Allcast (once I get around to rooting my chromecast).

What exactly is "cable DRM"? Do you mean the cable is too short?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Just got a Moto X (upgrading from an original Incredible :negative: ) and have been playing around. Is there any way to use the touchless control with the Amazon Cloud Player instead of the Google Music player? Most of my stuff is from Amazon. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh I mean yeah, carrier bloat sucks. I don't think anyone really likes the extra apps they shove on your phone (although you can completely disable many of them nowadays) but I really don't have a problem with a carrier wanting to test an update some more before they release it upon all of their users. In the end, they're the first ones who have to deal with all the overhead a bad update would bring.

In theory I agree with you, in practice, after years of their customer unfriendly practices, I just don't have any confidence that whatever validation carriers do on updates is limited to making sure the update doesn't brick devices or make cell towers explode or whatever. My default position is that they also use this as a time to make more customer-unfriendly changes and limitations.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

ThermoPhysical posted:

What exactly is "cable DRM"? Do you mean the cable is too short?

Nah, Google's new wireless charger won't work on generic cables. It only works on very specific ones. Even USB extension cables and adapters won't work, the charger turns on a red light instead. It's pretty frustrating.

I've only been able to get it working with the cable it came with, and the LG cable that came with my N5.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Robpol86 posted:

Nah, Google's new wireless charger won't work on generic cables. It only works on very specific ones. Even USB extension cables and adapters won't work, the charger turns on a red light instead. It's pretty frustrating.

I've only been able to get it working with the cable it came with, and the LG cable that came with my N5.

That's less "DRM" and more "there are a dozen dumptruck loads full of poo poo micro-usb cables out there and our single-coil wireless charger is sensitive enough as it is, we don't want the unwashed masses plugging in any random poo poo cable and then blaming use/RMA'ing the charger when it "doesn't work right".

There are standards, and then there are standards, and there are some pretty poo poo cables out there. I can't really blame Google for this - I've been in more than a few situations where I was ready to chuck a phone/tablet/random device out the window due to some connectivity/charging issue only to swap out the cable.

Edit: Hell, the Tylt, which is a pretty spiffy wireless stand I just got that charges drat near as fast as wired forgoes micro-USB connectors entirely and says gently caress you, deal with our proprietary charger. They aren't doing it to screw with you or get you to buy more of their poo poo.

Worst comes to worst just buy a regular extension cable for power if you need more length.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 27, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Mister Fister posted:

That whole slide can be summarized as: "Carrier versions get all the crap. Dev editions don't get carrier bloat. Play store editions don't get manufacturer bloat."

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--

Ixian posted:

That's less "DRM" and more "there are a dozen dumptruck loads full of poo poo micro-usb cables out there and our single-coil wireless charger is sensitive enough as it is, we don't want the unwashed masses plugging in any random poo poo cable and then blaming use/RMA'ing the charger when it "doesn't work right".

There are standards, and then there are standards, and there are some pretty poo poo cables out there. I can't really blame Google for this - I've been in more than a few situations where I was ready to chuck a phone/tablet/random device out the window due to some connectivity/charging issue only to swap out the cable.

Edit: Hell, the Tylt, which is a pretty spiffy wireless stand I just got that charges drat near as fast as wired forgoes micro-USB connectors entirely and says gently caress you, deal with our proprietary charger. They aren't doing it to screw with you or get you to buy more of their poo poo.

Worst comes to worst just buy a regular extension cable for power if you need more length.

No this is different. With the cable it came with, it works fine on most wall adapters. It works just fine with my Dropcam AC adapter and my car adapter.

However, even when I use the cable it came with, with my working Dropcam AC adapter (these two alone work just fine with Google's wireless charger), and then I add a regular (non micro) USB extension cable (which works perfectly fine with all other USB devices), it doesn't work. Even my USB3.0 extension cable doesn't work. Nor does my Dropcam microUSB cable, nor does my monoprice microUSB cable that worked just fine with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

There's something else going on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Robpol86 posted:

Yeah what's going is they don't want you using another cable with their charger so you don't burn your house down. They don't need or want another Chromebook 11 charger and this prevents it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Robpol86 posted:

No this is different. With the cable it came with, it works fine on most wall adapters. It works just fine with my Dropcam AC adapter and my car adapter.

However, even when I use the cable it came with, with my working Dropcam AC adapter (these two alone work just fine with Google's wireless charger), and then I add a regular (non micro) USB extension cable (which works perfectly fine with all other USB devices), it doesn't work. Even my USB3.0 extension cable doesn't work. Nor does my Dropcam microUSB cable, nor does my monoprice microUSB cable that worked just fine with my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

Maybe I...worded it wrong? But that isn't different, that's exactly what I was saying.

In any case, calling this "DRM" is a bit of a stretch.

When USB was mostly about data transfer and other low-voltage stuff it wasn't that big a deal but now those same cables can carry an amp or more and there's no room for loving around.

Like I said, in almost all cases if you need more reach the real solution is not a longer USB cable plugged in to a wall wart but a decent power extension cord rated for what you are putting through it and where (not much, and indoors in this case). You can get those for cheap. They aren't as thin - that is for a reason.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is it possible to get a longer lasting battery for a Galaxy Note 3? The current battery is obviously fine but battery life can always be longer. Not willing to compromise changing the physical dimensions of the phone for it, though.

I have googled and found batteries over 3200mAh but not really knowing much about how milliamp hours work I am not sure if bigger numbers necessarily mean longer lasting.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robpol86 posted:

Yeah, this confused me too. Doesn't work on the official Nexus 7 (either model, it's the same) cable either, and the (unusually long) official Nexus 10 cable doesn't fit due to the surround.

Official cable is just about long enough for my purposes, luckily.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Since i got my maxx the gmail icon is showing many hundreds of unread messages. Is there a way to clear that so it only shows new email? I figured it would be simple to figure out but I've hit a wall trying to clear the counter. Any suggestions?

It looks like this.

Grumbletron 4000 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 27, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Since i got my maxx the gmail icon is showing many hundreds of unread messages. Is there a way to clear that so it only shows new email? I figured it would be simple to figure out but I've hit a wall trying to clear the counter. Any suggestions?

It looks like this.
[/Img]http://imgur.com/5YfOBAw[img]

Read your unread messages?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Sereri posted:

Read your unread messages?

I was hoping there was a way to just mark all messages as read to clear the counter.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I was hoping there was a way to just mark all messages as read to clear the counter.

I don't think it's possible in the app but you can do it in the gmail webinterface

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Are they actually unread messages in your GMail account?

If so, you can log into GMail on your desktop, do a search for is:unread, then click the "select all" box, click the link that pops up that says "All [number] messages on this page are selected. Select all conversations that match this search" and use the menu to mark them all read.

If the search doesn't show you having ~653 unread messages in your GMail account, disregard the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

That whole slide can be summarized as: "Carrier versions get all the crap. Dev editions don't get carrier bloat. Play store editions don't get manufacturer bloat."

Seriously. That's a lot of picture to tell you basically nothing we didn't already know. The only really helpful part is the top status lines for each version but they are vague enough where it doesn't matter.

Although it does indicate the chip set manufacture is the first to decide. So that could be why the gnex is stalled.

• Locked thread