Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Regarding the ending, Tarrant is being hunted by that planet's version of Satan because he (Tarrant) broke one of the rules of the pact he made. He outsmarts the devil by letting Gerald Tarrant, the sorcerer, cease to exist and literally becoming someone else. It actually fits perfectly with the character.

Agreed with the ending. It fit perfectly.

The rest is valid criticism though.

Also, these posts made me check for new Coldfire books. I got really excited when I found Dominion. Then I saw it was only 52 pages.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

House Louse posted:

I'm not leaving him out for any good reason, I know how big a noise he is these days, it's just that I've only read Desolation Road and that didn't really seem to fit the bill.

Desolation road is Scifi, so that is understandable.
Necroville, River of Gods, Brasyl, Dervish House, Cyderabad days are all something I would call cyberpunk
ie Earth and not so distant future technology. 3 of them were nominated for Hugos as well.
I particularly enjoy Mcdonald for his descriptions of how different parts and cultures of the world will adapt to new technology.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, these posts made me check for new Coldfire books. I got really excited when I found Dominion. Then I saw it was only 52 pages.

:(

Take what you can get I guess? If you do read it, tell me how it was, okay?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Caustic Chimera posted:

Take what you can get I guess? If you do read it, tell me how it was, okay?

Its back story for Tarrant. It was alright.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for telling me! I was kind of hoping it was like some sort of short sequel, but I guess this makes more sense. I suspect that's what most people would want anyway, Tarrant is what makes Coldfire Coldfire.

I was gonna say "I'll just wait for a sale" then but then I noticed it's like 2 bucks. I'm still gonna wait, but just until I've finished some other books.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up. One of my favorite authors is having a bit of a rough time this holiday season, so if you want to help him out, think about grabbing one of his books.

His blog post - http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/blog/i-need-your-help/

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/375197

It's the same guy who wrote the Conqueror's Shadow books (which I loved), and this is his self published book so he gets a bigger share of the royalties.

I dig his writing, and plan on buying the book tomorrow. Just thought I'd mention it here in case someone else enjoys his work and wants to help him out.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I've picked it up. Hope his situation improves.

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations several pages back, I'm slowly adding more and more previews to my kindle reading list.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I just finished reading Galactic North. At this point, I've read all of the Revelation Space books except Absolution Gap and The Prefect and I want to complain about Galactic North specifically (the short story, not the book it's in):

Did Alastair Reynolds just kill off the Inhibitors, replace them with a new unstoppable machine threat, and trivialize every character and conflict in all of the prior books during a short story? I don't really want to read the rest if it's just "...and then some nonsentient terraforming robots we made at one point and didn't mention totally beat the machines that can (after two books of buildup) literally use stars as flamethrowers, so everybody died." I looked it up and saw that he wrote it in 1997, before all of the other books, but, like, is this an actual thing? Did he stick with this? It feels really thoughtless next to the rest of the series, and with the whole "turning the galaxy green" thing it just reminds me of Mass Effect.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cheston posted:

I just finished reading Galactic North. At this point, I've read all of the Revelation Space books except Absolution Gap and The Prefect and I want to complain about Galactic North specifically (the short story, not the book it's in):

Did Alastair Reynolds just kill off the Inhibitors, replace them with a new unstoppable machine threat, and trivialize every character and conflict in all of the prior books during a short story? I don't really want to read the rest if it's just "...and then some nonsentient terraforming robots we made at one point and didn't mention totally beat the machines that can (after two books of buildup) literally use stars as flamethrowers, so everybody died." I looked it up and saw that he wrote it in 1997, before all of the other books, but, like, is this an actual thing? Did he stick with this? It feels really thoughtless next to the rest of the series, and with the whole "turning the galaxy green" thing it just reminds me of Mass Effect.

Pretty much, yes.

Although the greenfly isn't what kills the Inhibitors, but don't expect more than mere hints as to what actually does in Absolution Gap.

If it helps, I read that short story before Absolution Gap and I still enjoyed the weird ride that is the final book. It's very, very different to what came before. Just be warned.

edit: You also get some good closure for some of the characters in Absolution Gap. Especially Scorpio and Captain Brannigan, who weirdly both become the main characters.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 21, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cheston posted:

Yes, and it's why I stopped reading his books. I didn't even know about the short story. In the novel, that was summarized in a single paragraph on the last page of the book. I basically threw it against the wall.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 21, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
gently caress the rest of his books but you should probably read House of Suns because it loving rules.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Pretty much no one recommends you read Absolution Gap. It's terrible and contributes nothing to the story. For what it's worth. New, shallow characters, nonsensical plot, deus ex machina in the last paragraph. It actively makes the previous two books worse.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Velius posted:

Pretty much no one recommends you read Absolution Gap. It's terrible and contributes nothing to the story. For what it's worth. New, shallow characters, nonsensical plot, deus ex machina in the last paragraph. It actively makes the previous two books worse.

Uh you must have missed like 3 posts above where I recommended reading it. It has some awesome moments even if it feels like a total side story in the universe. (And anyway, nothing's stopping Reynolds from coming back and writing more about the Inhibitor war.)

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just a heads up. One of my favorite authors is having a bit of a rough time this holiday season, so if you want to help him out, think about grabbing one of his books.

His blog post - http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/blog/i-need-your-help/

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Smashwords - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/375197

FYI this is Ari Marmell - I skipped over at first but just read the blog post while waiting at the airport and realized who it was, and bought his short story collection.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Has anyone read Peter Watts' Beyond the Rift? Is it just a collection of stories you can read on his site anyway or does it have much new?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Neurosis posted:

Has anyone read Peter Watts' Beyond the Rift? Is it just a collection of stories you can read on his site anyway or does it have much new?

I'm halfway through, it's a great collection, but yeah it's all reprints (apart from a new afterword).

In the book:

quote:

The Things
The Island
The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald
A Word for Heathens
Home
The Eyes of God
Flesh Made Word
Nimbus
Mayfly (with Derryl Murphy)
Ambassador
Hillcrest vs. Velikovsky
Repeating the Past
A Niche
Outtro: En Route to Dystopia with the Angry Optimist

On his website:

quote:

Home
Ambassador
Bethlehem
A Niche
Flesh Made Word
Bulk Food
Fractals
The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald
Nimbus
A Word for Heathens
Mayfly
Repeating the Past
Hillcrest V. Velikovsky
The Island

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hedrigall posted:

I'm halfway through, it's a great collection, but yeah it's all reprints (apart from a new afterword).

It's a great thing to read at Christmas, particularly. It really gets you in the spirit of the season. :twisted:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My will to live has grown too strong. I must read Peter Watts.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Neurosis posted:

I just finished it today and it's excellent; The Fist of God particularly stuck with me, but they're all good stories. There's even an end note by Watts about how he's not really dark and depressing, and doesn't really see his work that way :)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you think Peter Watts is depressing, you really need to read this. I challenge you to get through without a laugh.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I just started reading The Family Trade by Charles Stross. So far, it seems like a better version of The Long Earth.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

General Battuta posted:

My will to live has grown too strong. I must read Peter Watts.

You could also try John Love's "Faith"...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Xandu posted:

I just started reading The Family Trade by Charles Stross. So far, it seems like a better version of The Long Earth.

Be warned that the first book ends rather abruptly because the publisher had the first story split into two novels.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Finally finally finally almost done with Humanity's Fire :unsmith: this is an awesome space-opera trilogy

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Antti posted:

Be warned that the first book ends rather abruptly because the publisher had the first story split into two novels.

That's why you should get the re-issue. Stross overhauled the whole series again for the re-release (in three books as originally intended) in preparation for a follow-up series somewhere in 2016.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Decius posted:

That's why you should get the re-issue. Stross overhauled the whole series again for the re-release (in three books as originally intended) in preparation for a follow-up series somewhere in 2016.

Yeah, I got the reissued first book of the trilogy (The Bloodline Feud) and it was better that way.

If you already have the first book of six though, eh. I think you can get away with reading the first two separately but then you should probably move to the reissue. So you read 1.1, 1.2, then 2, 3.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are more free books now available on the Kindle store from one of my favourite authors, Robert Rankin.

Garden of Unearthly Delights, and
Fandom of the Operator.

Also apparently the others that are published by Rankin's own publishing company are half price, but I haven't thoroughly investigated what territories that's true in.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just got Consider Phlebas for Christmas because I was starved for a decent sci-fi series so I followed that chart in the OP.

Right now I'm not really much into it. I don't care much about the main character and I don't like the idea of the Culture itself very much. The aliens are cool and I like that the perfect-super-utopia a bad writer would normally feature front and center is looked at by other races as a bunch of dangerous weirdos. I had a bit of relief when the book mentioned an attacking Culture ship not even being visible due to the distances involved, thus appeasing my inner sperg.

It's certainty miles better than some of the last books I've read - I've been burned by sci-fi a lot recently - but it's not lit my world on fire. Which of the Culture novels are considered the best or weakest? Should have I got Phelbas first or something else?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Deleter posted:

I just got Consider Phlebas for Christmas because I was starved for a decent sci-fi series so I followed that chart in the OP.

Right now I'm not really much into it. I don't care much about the main character and I don't like the idea of the Culture itself very much. The aliens are cool and I like that the perfect-super-utopia a bad writer would normally feature front and center is looked at by other races as a bunch of dangerous weirdos. I had a bit of relief when the book mentioned an attacking Culture ship not even being visible due to the distances involved, thus appeasing my inner sperg.

It's certainty miles better than some of the last books I've read - I've been burned by sci-fi a lot recently - but it's not lit my world on fire. Which of the Culture novels are considered the best or weakest? Should have I got Phelbas first or something else?

Yeah, that's Phlebas in the nutshell. All the characters are unlikeable shits and you just don't really care about any of it. Read Player of Games instead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Consider Phlebas is probably the weakest of the lot. Use of Weapons is the best Culture novel and probably the best thing Banks has ever written. Player of Games is also ok. The rest is forgettable.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Consider Phlebas is fine as a starting place although it's quite different from most of the books that follow.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Cardiovorax posted:

Consider Phlebas is probably the weakest of the lot. Use of Weapons is the best Culture novel and probably the best thing Banks has ever written. Player of Games is also ok. The rest is forgettable.

This post is mostly correct except that instead of 'forgettable' I'd say the others range from 'charming and indulgent' to 'really quite good'. Even the weakest Culture novels, like Matter and Consider Phlebas, usually contain some scenes worth the price of admission.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Most people would recommend starting with Player Of Games.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Huh, that sounds fair enough. I'll try and finish this and then maybe pick up Use of Weapons or Player of Games.

I'm probably surprising nobody by saying its hard to find good sci-fi, but after the tepid milfic crap of Stark's War, the sheer terribleness of John Brosnan's Mothership and the "I liked this when I was sixteen and I don't like it anymore" of Anvil of Stars, it's been a while since I enjoyed any sci-fi that wasn't Asimov, Clarke or Adams. Such a drat shame.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

General Battuta posted:

This post is mostly correct except that instead of 'forgettable' I'd say the others range from 'charming and indulgent' to 'really quite good'. Even the weakest Culture novels, like Matter and Consider Phlebas, usually contain some scenes worth the price of admission.

Yeah this is right.

I've also now read The Left Hand Of Darkness and loved it just as much as The Dispossessed, if not more for the beautiful use of language in the sections where Le Guin describes the Gethenian oral tradition. Her anthropologist's background shines through there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

General Battuta posted:

They're worth reading if you really like the setting, but in comparison to the two really good ones I think they end up looking pretty average. Not bad, just not memorable in the same way. Player of Games is a really good "stranger in a strange land" kind of story and Use of Weapons is the kind of emotional gut-punch you need to experience to believe, but I didn't even read the most recent three because the rest of the series just didn't pull me in the same way. They're pretty much all better than Consider Phlebas, but I wouldn't want to oversell them either.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I did a search and it seems that this is nothing new around here, but I recently finished Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and holy poo poo was that an amazing book. I listened to the audiobook (it's on audible) and sometimes it was hard to tell who was talking but it was still a very good performance. I even bought the hardcover for my brother for Christmas.

To me, it was like a cross between David Gemmell and Joe Abercrombie - that is, it combines a badass main character that was Gemmell's bread and butter (Druss, Skilgannon, Waylander...) with the strong/gritty/personal but objective narrative tone that I love about Abercrombie. It is a long book, that covers a lot of action and it never dragged for me, not once. If anyone here hasn't read it, or missed the hype earlier (like I seem to have) I highly recommend it.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Cheston posted:

You can really tell that the Revelation Space stuff is his early work since this problem is apparent throughout. Remember the cache weapons? These forbidden weapons of unimaginable destructive power, created by the Conjoiners in their darkest moment and then locked away because they felt it better to pass on into history than ever use them.
By book two they are peashooters. They plink away a little, but the meteor defence lasers get more action than the cache weapons.
The greenfly issue is just another aspect. We beat back the Inhibitors only to end up with the galaxy destroyed by 23rd century robots.
It really tends to feel like he wrote a lot of separate short stories, and only thought to bring them together into the novels at a later date, without considering the effect that would have on each individual part.

His later works are much better (and Chasm City since it's much more self contained) and don't fall so afoul of this.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Deleter posted:

Several years ago, someone gave me this book. I read a bit of it but could't really get into it and shelved it. I periodically think I should pick it up and try again, but given the advice in this thread I might not bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Consider Phlebias is like Ian m Banks' Colour of Magic. It's not very good and people who start there often write the series off. But read Use of Weapons. It's one of the best SF books ever written.

I love that it makes ZERO concessions to reader. Some people call that bad writing, the author sabotaging himself, but I call it balls.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 28, 2013