Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

Seeing as the wet printing thread has fallen into the ether, I'll post these here. I'm starting to get into some alt printing processes, and these are the first few I've made using the Argyrotype process:

They're made using some Foma 100 4x5 negs contact printed with a cheap photo frame and some sunlight. I'm hoping to get into salt printing with wet plate negs, but I'll need to work up to that.

I don't think the portrait really fits the presentation, but the floral ones are absolutely killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

aliencowboy posted:

I don't think the portrait really fits the presentation, but the floral ones are absolutely killer.

Cheers, its a super easy process, no development step and you just need a darkish room with a 40W bulb to prepare the paper.

I think the portrait doesn't quite work because the negative was a bit thin, so it came out quite flat. But a portrait with a short DOF and some punchy lighting would work, something dramatic.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to me :toot:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nice. I love my Nikonos.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paul MaudDib posted:

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to me :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Looks like a sturdy camera, what is it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Looks like a sturdy camera, what is it?

Nikonos V.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I mean, it won't stop a bullet like a III, and it's made of plastic for babies, but it's still cooler than any slr.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I mean, it won't stop a bullet like a III, and it's made of plastic for babies, but it's still cooler than any slr.

Word.

Nikonos III by g.hetzel, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my grandmom got me a long camera for christmas

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Look what arrived :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Looking at all the cool camera swag you people got it makes me sad that all I got was 2 rolls of portra

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, I got 15 rolls of Arista EDU 100 in 120. This means I should probably buy baby's first B&W dev kit. Anyone have a recommended list of developer, fixer, etc?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

So, I got 15 rolls of Arista EDU 100 in 120. This means I should probably buy baby's first B&W dev kit. Anyone have a recommended list of developer, fixer, etc?

Cheap, simple and easy: Rodinal (R09, Adonal etc) for dev, water for stop, then Ilford Rapid Fix, and then water to wash out the fix.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Spedman posted:

Cheap, simple and easy: Rodinal (R09, Adonal etc) for dev, water for stop, then Ilford Rapid Fix, and then water to wash out the fix.

Would you use something after the fix wash to stop spots/streaks when the negs are drying? Am I right in thinking that you can use a drop of dishwashing liquid to do this?
(Its been too long. I need to shoot more film again.)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Man_alive posted:

Would you use something after the fix wash to stop spots/streaks when the negs are drying? Am I right in thinking that you can use a drop of dishwashing liquid to do this?
(Its been too long. I need to shoot more film again.)

Photoflow is only if you have hard water, but I do recommend hypoclear to reduce washing times.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
This might be a daft question, but I've got a Lomo Sprocket Rocket for christmas and was wondering about how to go about developing film for it. If I take it to a normal C41 minilab place and make sure they know to expect the photos are exposed over two frames, would that be okay? Obviously a standard one-hour lab won't be able to do pano prints with the sprockets etc. but the negatives would turn out fine to scan myself, yeah? Or am I missing something important about how minilabs work.

Worse comes to worst I can just stick to using B&W film and use it as an excuse to start home developing stuff :haw:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Just ask them not to cut the negatives. You'll probably get the strip back in a film canister, which means it'll curve, so when you do go to scan it'll be a pain in the rear end. You might have to flatten your negs with a pile of books for a day or two.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Shazaminator posted:

This might be a daft question, but I've got a Lomo Sprocket Rocket for christmas and was wondering about how to go about developing film for it. If I take it to a normal C41 minilab place and make sure they know to expect the photos are exposed over two frames, would that be okay? Obviously a standard one-hour lab won't be able to do pano prints with the sprockets etc. but the negatives would turn out fine to scan myself, yeah? Or am I missing something important about how minilabs work.

Worse comes to worst I can just stick to using B&W film and use it as an excuse to start home developing stuff :haw:

You should be able to ask any place that develops film just to develop the film only and to not cut the negatives, I've asked my local Walgreens to do it a couple times and I had no problems.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, this is my current shopping cart on Freestyle. Am I missing anything?

Arista Hypo Wash to Make 1 Gallon
Compard R09 One Shot Agfa Rodinal Formula Film Developer - 500ml
Ilford Rapid Fixer 1 liter
Arista Premium Double Reel Developing Tank with two reels
Paterson Beaker 34 oz. / 1 Liter
Paterson Graduate 1.5 oz. / 45ml
Arista Air-Evac Bottle 2 Liter
Arista Changing Bag 27 in. x 30 in.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Mest0r posted:

You should be able to ask any place that develops film just to develop the film only and to not cut the negatives, I've asked my local Walgreens to do it a couple times and I had no problems.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just ask them not to cut the negatives. You'll probably get the strip back in a film canister, which means it'll curve, so when you do go to scan it'll be a pain in the rear end. You might have to flatten your negs with a pile of books for a day or two.

Aces, thanks guys.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

So, this is my current shopping cart on Freestyle. Am I missing anything?

Arista Hypo Wash to Make 1 Gallon
Compard R09 One Shot Agfa Rodinal Formula Film Developer - 500ml
Ilford Rapid Fixer 1 liter
Arista Premium Double Reel Developing Tank with two reels
Paterson Beaker 34 oz. / 1 Liter
Paterson Graduate 1.5 oz. / 45ml
Arista Air-Evac Bottle 2 Liter
Arista Changing Bag 27 in. x 30 in.

Make sure you have something to hang the film to dry with. It doesn't have to be dedicated film clips, just something reasonably grippy to hang it in and to keep it straight.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nielsm posted:

Make sure you have something to hang the film to dry with. It doesn't have to be dedicated film clips, just something reasonably grippy to hang it in and to keep it straight.

I use a piece of string (I think it's a boot lace) and clothespins.

Also you may want to consider stop bath and Photo Flo. These are also pretty easy to replace with home chemicals, I think. Stop bath is basically a diluted solution of white vinegar, the real stuff just has an indicator coloring to let you know when it's no longer strong enough to stop the developer. You can also just use water. Photo flo is a surfactant that keeps fallout from sticking to the film. You should be able to get away with mixing a tiny tiny amount (a couple drops) of dish soap with a liter of water, or you might be able to skip it entirely if you don't have hard water (I do it always just to be sure). Both of them are pretty cheap, so I just use the real stuff.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 26, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Man_alive posted:

Would you use something after the fix wash to stop spots/streaks when the negs are drying?

Final rinse with distilled water. Dirty cheap at the grocery store.

RO will also generally work if that's readily available and cheaper in your area (i.e. water and ice stores).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 26, 2013

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Could someone explain the benefits of Rodinal over say HC-110? I've always used HC-110 and love it as 1L of the stuff lasts forever and I feel I get great tonality out of it. Is there anymore tonality that you would get out of Rodinal? Just trying to understand all the love for it and rather or not it would be worth ordering some.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It enhances the Leica glow.

But really, it has high acutance, you can soup it at low concentrations to tame contrast and/or push the hell out of films, and with the range of concentrations you can use it at you can increase or lower the contrast of your negatives as needed.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

pootiebigwang posted:

Could someone explain the benefits of Rodinal over say HC-110? I've always used HC-110 and love it as 1L of the stuff lasts forever and I feel I get great tonality out of it. Is there anymore tonality that you would get out of Rodinal? Just trying to understand all the love for it and rather or not it would be worth ordering some.

i really love the way it brings out shadows and keeps highlights from blowing out. love the tones that i can get out of an image.

9/11 Memorial, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

The New Museum, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

The Ticket Writer, Nice by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's one of the longest-lived and more popular developers, so there's recipes for everything, both high and low dilution. Like high-dilution HC-110, high-dilution Rodinal "compensates", i.e. it tends to pull the highlights and push the shadows, reducing image contrast a bit. All Rodinal tends to increase the actuance (perceived sharpness) of the image, at the cost of intensifying the grain somewhat (which you may like anyway). There are some recipes that are pretty much universal, 1:100 stand for 1h produces normal development on basically anything you throw into it, so you can mix film types, develop unknown film, etc. It is also predictably +1 stop development at 1:30, and +2 at 2h. Also, like HC-110 it can be used as a one-shot which eliminates any replenishment process or chance to contaminate your developer. And as long as HC-110 lasts if properly stored (the bottles do tend to crack), Rodinal lasts longer. You can literally open up a can from the 1910s or 1920s and develop with it in the year 2013, so sitting in a bottle for ten years is no big deal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 27, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

my grandmom got me a long camera for christmas

whoa what is this?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

whoa what is this?

A camera, what are you blind?:v:

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
Hi, filmgoons.
Somebody just brought to my attention the fact that Ferrania is coming back. I think it's awesome that we're going to have new(ish) films to play with, especially since the Scotchchrome that they're bringing back is E-6, and I don't recall it being discussed much in this thread.
I've never used Ferrania, or even really heard of it, but I'm just wondering if any of you old bastards shot it back in the day and what your thoughts are on it coming back. Everything on APUG devolves into some esoteric offtopic discussion of formats because they made 126, and nobody ever seems to address whether or not Solaris and Scotchchrome (the two films apparently coming back) were any good to start with. They are being reformulated, but since they'll be based on the old stuff, it's worth knowing about.
Also, who else is like me and just wants to buy a bunch of it on principle?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Gargonovitch posted:

Hi, filmgoons.
Somebody just brought to my attention the fact that Ferrania is coming back. I think it's awesome that we're going to have new(ish) films to play with, especially since the Scotchchrome that they're bringing back is E-6, and I don't recall it being discussed much in this thread.
I've never used Ferrania, or even really heard of it, but I'm just wondering if any of you old bastards shot it back in the day and what your thoughts are on it coming back. Everything on APUG devolves into some esoteric offtopic discussion of formats because they made 126, and nobody ever seems to address whether or not Solaris and Scotchchrome (the two films apparently coming back) were any good to start with. They are being reformulated, but since they'll be based on the old stuff, it's worth knowing about.
Also, who else is like me and just wants to buy a bunch of it on principle?

First I've heard about this but I just signed up to their mailing list, I'm always happy to try out new (old) film stocks

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, first I've seen about them coming back. I'm glad to potentially have another film choice, but the impression I have of their film is not favorable. It was often rebranded and sold as drug/grocery store brand film, and the colors I've seen from it are best described as 'impressionistic' and grainy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thought I'd made a post here last night, guess not?
In any event, I went to a camera shop that had a single roll of underpriced Provia 400X, which I've never shot. How should I use it? I imagine the dynamic range is more velvia than portra.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DJExile posted:

whoa what is this?

a camera for take photographs in the third dimension

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

nm posted:

Thought I'd made a post here last night, guess not?
In any event, I went to a camera shop that had a single roll of underpriced Provia 400X, which I've never shot. How should I use it? I imagine the dynamic range is more velvia than portra.

Its basically high speed velvia with more realistic saturation levels. Very low grain, but the DR doesn't approach negative film obviously. Daylight only.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Woke up to a really wonderful day of November with a roll of Superia 400 and my Nikkor 20mm AI-s

Apennine valleys di maxmars70, su Flickr

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Inherited my father-in-law's Mamiya 35mm over the holidays and taking my first roll of film to Walgreens in the morning. I'm only about half sure there's anything on it. This is fun!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Kind of a weird sky day. I swear this is unfucked with in post.

A Pale Horse Obeys by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr