Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FeatherFloat posted:

It's only subbed by TV-Nihon, sadly, and the quality of both the video and the subs are pretty crap... but there are good raws out there and NDA Subs should have episode 4 out tomorrow. I'm really hoping they'll keep at it.

This is the reason why I don't recommend Blade, really. I love that series and its ending (and have said so in the thread repeatedly before), but the only existing fansubs are nigh-unwatchable (really bad video quality, plus TVN subs). I'm really looking forward to NDA doing the entire series, once that's done, I definitely, wholeheartedly recommend Blade for anyone, and will rewatch it myself, but without actually watchable videos, there's not too much point in recommending it, is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love Blade and I'd put it up near the top of my favorite Rider series, but the beginning is difficult to get through for a lot of reasons. It picks up about when Blade gets Jack Form I think. I'll definitely rewatch it when it gets better subs.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm sorry If you can't get on the Tendou train, but the episode where he shows up disguised as the priest at a wedding cemented him in my mind as basically one of the best riders.

"God Said This..."

He's 'perfect' but he's so drat entertaining to watch which is something true of all of Kabuto.
The moment you mentioned was great but I still can't stand Tendou. Even near the end of the series when it looks like he's gone insane, it turns out whoops he totally knew the villains' plan the whole time and just didn't feel like telling anybody. He also seemed to be nigh invincible, I remember him pretty much dominating every single fight he was in which got sort of boring.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Not only did he dominate every fight, but he had to be the one to get the final hit and actually defeat every enemy. Even if that enemy was someone else's important battle. Drake. T_T

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Blade is fantastic but apparently everything up to SAYAAAKAAAAAA didn't have a director.

Everyone on that show is REALLY good at screaming.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 26, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love Blade and I'd put it up near the top of my favorite Rider series, but the beginning is difficult to get through for a lot of reasons. It picks up about when Blade gets Jack Form I think. I'll definitely rewatch it when it gets better subs.

The moment you mentioned was great but I still can't stand Tendou. Even near the end of the series when it looks like he's gone insane, it turns out whoops he totally knew the villains' plan the whole time and just didn't feel like telling anybody. He also seemed to be nigh invincible, I remember him pretty much dominating every single fight he was in which got sort of boring.

Dude you're just saying more of why I love him. The fighting style of All Counters and Kicks was so amazing.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I like Tendou a lot, but he definitely only works as well as he does (which is up for debate) as the protagonist of Kabuto because Kagami exists in a nearly equal role, at least earlier on. I know I remember a lot more Tendou subplots appearing later in the show.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Blade's action in the regular suit I remember as being really awkward and stilted, mostly because Blade was the first Heisei rider to start the trend of crazy impossible to move around in shoulderpieces, so he could only really raise his arm to about mid-chest. Maybe anti-nostalgia is coloring my experience of it, though.

That said, it also has one of the worst tertiary riders in Leangle, who is a little poo poo and doesn't get his act together until like, literally the last 5-6 eps. Even when by all rights he really should have by that point.

Also, King Form is probably my favorite and one of the best-looking rider Final Forms, and with plot importance, the second most terrifying. (First going to PuToTyra).

That said, OOO I like to say is essentially what happens when you jam together the ideas of Kuuga and Blade, so once NDA gets further along, it's probably worth a rewatch.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Blade's suit really looked a hell of a lot like power armor, moreso than Faiz ever did. I really like the design of it, and by the time King Form rolls around they got a lot better at shooting that kind of suit and choreographing around it. People complain how final forms often look rushed, but they're also developed sometimes learning from the mistakes of the original suit. The latter half of Kiva uses Emperor entirely because it was designed to be much, much lighter than the original suit which was causing a lot of problems during filming.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

dordreff posted:

Yeah, I guess Kabuto isn't really a "completely avoid" kind of series like Decade and Wizard are, but how much you enjoy it depends on how much you can tolerate a flawless god-king protagonist with no development at all and the boring-rear end girl he follows around everywhere, and on whether or not you can just ignore the story and go along for the fights and suits. Probably also depends on how hungry you are.
Kagami is the main character and the rest of the cast is the drawing point. The story starts off interesting and then begins to suck, but there's great :catdrugs: comedy in the middle like make-up duels and cooking battles. Tendou just happens to be the title rider, but for most of the series the show follows around Kagami and we see things through his perspective as we're left mostly in the dark about whatever the christ Tendou is doing.

If you want to count Kagami as a secondary rider, then he's hands down the best since he's the most human character in just about any rider series.

e: Also the no-look Rider Kick is still my favorite Rider Kick.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 26, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I would probably watch an edit of Kabuto where all the parts with Tendou and Hiyori cut out unless they're interacting with the main character, Kagami.

Actually, just cut out Hiyori entirely. She brought nothing to the show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I would probably watch an edit of Kabuto where all the parts with Tendou and Hiyori cut out unless they're interacting with the main character, Kagami.

Actually, just cut out Hiyori entirely. She brought nothing to the show.

That's because the Actress fell seriously ill while shooting so her plotline kind of had to be dropped right when things were starting to turn.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

That's because the Actress fell seriously ill while shooting so her plotline kind of had to be dropped right when things were starting to turn.
Plus Drake and the first TheBee weren't around as much because of their own careers and well, their storylines suffered accordingly.

At least in Den-O they were able to recast Hana as a kid because of time travel shenanigans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's really sad because Yaguruma could've added a much-needed contrast to Tendou to the series, and did while he was there. Of course, you're meant to sympathize with super-perfect flawless Tendou, but Yaguruma was exactly how a hero should be: he put teamwork over working alone, and was overall far more down-to-earth and likable than Tendou.

Sad that he then gets his Zecter taken and becomes KickHopper who might as well be a totally different character.

And Drake...he existed, yeah. That's basically all I can say about him, I think the only thing I've ever cared about with him is his awesome finisher in Super Climax Heroes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So the official site put up the description for episode 13

A weird disease starts to spread within Zawame City, the people who were attacked by the Invess are infected and modern medical technology cannot cure this. The blame is now on the Beat Riders who utilise the Invess during Invess Games. Even so, Kouta still transforms to protect the people when he needs to. At the start time, Yggadrasil contacts Pierre. On the other hand, Hase, whose belt is destroyed, has his friends abandoning him, starts to feel frustrated as he tries to suppress his desire of getting stronger...

Translation done by someone on /m/ so I can't say it's 100% accurate but if it is it looks like things are getting super serious.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Translation done by someone on /m/ so I can't say it's 100% accurate but if it is it looks like things are getting super serious.
I had the feeling that was going to happen as soon as the monologue happened at the end of the last episodes "Things were so much simpler those days" it looks like it's going to get really interesting, really quick

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Who here seriously thought that the street dancing fruit samurai series was gonna get this serious? Because I was fully expecting a series more like Kyoryuger

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Who here seriously thought that the street dancing fruit samurai series was gonna get this serious? Because I was fully expecting a series more like Kyoryuger

*Crosses arms.*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Liar Lyre posted:

I was honestly expecting it to happen earlier then this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Liar Lyre posted:

The second I found out who was writing it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Liar Lyre posted:

As soon as I learned it was a Rider War, I hoped it wouldn't, but really, I knew it would.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Liar Lyre posted:

I have to seriously ask you how you didn't expect this, considering who's behind it, what he's taking as inspiration, and how the concept of Riders fighting against each other went in previous series.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

An entire series with just dancing teens every week would bomb. Kyoryuger has some cool poo poo going on too.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

Fourze lasted the whole season as a High School comedy/drama

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have to seriously ask you how you didn't expect this, considering who's behind it, what he's taking as inspiration, and how the concept of Riders fighting against each other went in previous series.

To be completely fair and honest, I've only started getting into toku shows this year. The only other rider series I've watched is Fourze. But at a base concept level, samurai that look like oranges doesn't scream serious drama.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Liar Lyre posted:

To be completely fair and honest, I've only started getting into toku shows this year. The only other rider series I've watched is Fourze. But at a base concept level, samurai that look like oranges doesn't scream serious drama.

Take a look at Ryuki sometime.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

Take a look at Ryuki sometime.

No, no, I stand with Lyre on this one.

It doesn't, and absolutely NOTHING, outside of the stupid melodrama of Gaim crying in his loving bedroom when he got pushed too hard, suggested it would be serious or dramatic. In fact the last few episodes have done everything to beat the idea that it's going to be goofy Loony Toons bullshit as hard as it can.

Hopefully the show can survive the shift to serious because that really does look like it's the heading place, but I'm afraid of the massive amounts of whiplash that will follow if the show doesn't pick a loving format. But then I've already mentioned this earlier in the thread. We'll see.

Ryuki, from the get go, screams "This Is Not Going To Be Light Hearted". You have to make a contract with a horrible monster to become something other than human and then you have to feed the monster other monsters or it'll eat you, AND there are 12 others like you that you have to personally kill so that you can be the Highlander?

Very, very removed from "dancing kids who wear samurai fruit armor. Oh and there's a gay flamboyant chef some where who implies he's going to rape a banana before falling for a melon."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
You're right about that, but that show - and the context that it's not hugely unique among Rider Wars, even if it's particularly dark - is why I'm not surprised Gaim might go dark.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wait a minute that's the plot of Ryuki?!! Why haven't I watched that sooner.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

Wait a minute that's the plot of Ryuki?!! Why haven't I watched that sooner.

Yeah, it's pretty much Kamen Rider Highlander, only with contracts being made with horrible monsters (and yes, the idea of making a contract with more than one monster IS explored) and exploring how...truly terrible some people can be.

Also the reason you might not have seen it sooner is because the only subs that I'm aware of are TVN.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since we're talking Ryuki, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. Faithful or loose adaptation?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Since we're talking Ryuki, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. Faithful or loose adaptation?

One is Highlander the Rider Series.

The other, Dragon Knight, is "Alien invasion and all the Riders are best friends".

Very, very, very loose.

nono
Jun 27, 2011
The early heisei series have plenty of goofy comedy, I don't know why people keep categorising them as overly serious. Where Gaim is going is about par for the course, and it's not like they don't have a sense of humour about how silly the motif is. I am seconding the recommendations for Ryuki though, it is a lot of fun and pretty unique as far as Riders go.

Burkion posted:

One is Highlander the Rider Series.

The other, Dragon Knight, is "Alien invasion and all the Riders are best friends".

Very, very, very loose.

They made Tiger and Imperer brothers. Did they even watch the original? :psyduck:

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Early heisei is plenty goofy, it comes with the bugman superhero territory, but they're also DEFINITELY more serious and drama oriented more often than the campy showa shows and the likes of W through Wizard, for better or for worse. Gaim seems like a good blend so far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Burkion posted:

No, no, I stand with Lyre on this one.

It doesn't, and absolutely NOTHING, outside of the stupid melodrama of Gaim crying in his loving bedroom when he got pushed too hard, suggested it would be serious or dramatic. In fact the last few episodes have done everything to beat the idea that it's going to be goofy Loony Toons bullshit as hard as it can.

Hopefully the show can survive the shift to serious because that really does look like it's the heading place, but I'm afraid of the massive amounts of whiplash that will follow if the show doesn't pick a loving format. But then I've already mentioned this earlier in the thread. We'll see.

Whoa, nelly. Didn't think anybody felt that strongly about Gaim's tone. And I'm someone who expressed mild disappointment in Kabuto's inconsistencies.

I don't really know what to say, the publicity was pretty upfront about Gaim being written by the guy who wrote Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero.

Arguably, you could say that the show started off too lighthearted, since everybody who knew about Urobuchi Gen's previous work was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Invess disease plot idea even sounds a bit like Gen's reusing one of his ideas from Blassreiter. They've been not-that-subtly implying that Invess might be people for a while, too, so it's not as though there was absolutely no hint of anything more serious or sinister going on. The recent reveal that these people involved in this childish game arranged by the Yggdrasil corporation are actually nothing more than guinea pigs in a potentially unethical human experiment makes perfect sense, insofar as it establishes a justification for why a shady corporation would even consider handing out their superhero-making hardware in the first place (and it's not as though it weren't plainly obvious, but it's nice to let it out in the open). There's been a steady ramping up of stakes, both in the dance crew rivalries and the Yggdrasil situation. Comedy's still there for relief but it's tied to individual personalities. A scene will have comedy because of comedically-inclined characters, not because the situation itself is forcing levity on everyone else.

Besides, just because the subject matter is going to get a bit dark doesn't mean the show won't be largely optimistic. This is dance crew fruit samurai rider we're talking about, here. I'd be surprised if it turned out to be brutally gut-wrenching the way Gen's most famous works are, but in the odd chance this is one of those stories we can at least have some measure of confidence that it'll be told well.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Raizor posted:

Early heisei is plenty goofy, it comes with the bugman superhero territory, but they're also DEFINITELY more serious and drama oriented more often than the campy showa shows and the likes of W through Wizard, for better or for worse. Gaim seems like a good blend so far.

Yeah Faiz especially I remember being pretty much "two minutes of fighting at the beginning of an episode, 18 minutes of drama, and two minutes of fighting at the end of the episode" for a large portion of the series. From what I've seen (haven't watched much of Kuuga yet and only a small bit of Agito, but seen all of the rest) Kabuto is where Kamen Rider started getting pretty goofy and Den-O is when it fully embraced it, even though Den-O does get sort of serious in the later episodes.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'd be surprised if it turned out to be brutally gut-wrenching the way Gen's most famous works are, but in the odd chance this is one of those stories we can at least have some measure of confidence that it'll be told well.

Unless it pulls a Hibiki, which I hope won't happen.

I'm gonna echo that Ryuki is a pretty great series, even if I'm not particularly fond of the TV series ending. I also had no idea Dragon Knight had such a different premise. I mean that doesn't even make sense given what I remember of Ryuki.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
The thing to remember about Dragon Knight having such a different premise is that American and Japanese media have far different views on what is and is not "children's programming".

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

The thing to remember about Dragon Knight having such a different premise is that American and Japanese media have far different views on what is and is not "children's programming".

Yes, and the American sensibilities apparently involve Victoria Jackson and "wasn't that guy on Home Improvement?".

I think it's clear who came out ahead here.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

I was more talking about how much of the suit footage (which I assume they just adapted and didn't shoot any new stuff like Power Rangers does) was mostly Riders fighting each other. I'm just confused as to how they adapted that as the Riders all being buddies given that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was more talking about how much of the suit footage (which I assume they just adapted and didn't shoot any new stuff like Power Rangers does) was mostly Riders fighting each other. I'm just confused as to how they adapted that as the Riders all being buddies given that.

Oh, oh no, they shot new footage. They shot a LOT of new footage, actually.

How much?

Well I'll put it this way. Kamen Rider Swan, renamed Siren, was a main hero.

For those of you who know who THAT is, you'll get why that's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Oh, oh no, they shot new footage. They shot a LOT of new footage, actually.

How much?

Well I'll put it this way. Kamen Rider Swan, renamed Siren, was a main hero.

For those of you who know who THAT is, you'll get why that's insane.

Femme, not Swan. We're talking about Ryuki, not Dekaranger.

Also that still surprises the hell out of me. I kind of want to watch Dragon Knight just to see how much footage is new.

• Locked thread