Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Schubalts posted:

No reflexes. Uchihas were plenty capable of not being fast enough to react to what they could see. Sasuke getting his rear end kicked by Lee is a good example of this. Sasuke could see every attack coming, but he was too slow to react.

You forget that this ended with Sasuke copying Lee's reflexes like 10 minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

U.T. Raptor posted:

Izanagi was the absolute worst, since it's basically just going "what just happened didn't actually happen because gently caress you my eyes are magic".

Konan rightfully won that loving fight, god drat it! :argh:

To be fair what she did was absolutely bullshit stupid crap we had never seen on that level from her before, but the Sharingan was so stupid at that point Tobi could go gently caress himself... unfortunately Sharigan is the worst.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The suit of amor thing is actually the least random given the other rules for blood line limits we have heard.. If i remember correctly way back in the day blood line limits were basically supposed to be that ability to create fusions of various elemental types that normal people could never do, Like Hakus ice stuff or the 4ths wood techniques. Having a fusion of elementals change your eyes is random, but making a weird skeleton armor out of it works. I think it was the Second Hokage who even said that when an Uchiha awakens their Sharringan a new type of charka does appear ... in their brain ... and then that drives them crazy.

Bloodline limits are just genetic abilities, the special eyes doesn't have anything to do with elemental chakra (and is apparently some sort of weird chakra that comes from being mentally disturbed the titular brain problems). Elemental fusions are also bloodline jutsu but it's a really broad classification.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

socialsecurity posted:

You forget that this ended with Sasuke copying Lee's reflexes like 10 minutes later.

Not quite, he just made his own version of Lee's moves.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I think the real sticking point is how impenetrable-sword-sentinel-level moves have become the bread and butter of the conflict.

To paraphrase Syndrome - when everyone is constantly saying "gently caress you I win", everyone gets hosed and no one wins.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

RatHat posted:

Not quite, he just made his own version of Lee's moves.

It's the kind of thing where in a story that was trying to avoid power inflation and focus more on the ninja tricks, Sasuke would have figured out a way to deal with Lee's speed through tossing down caltrops or tagging him with a scroll when he comes in for the grab. Instead, Lee being good at a thing is used as a story excuse for Sasuke to then immediately become as good at that thing, but with better magic spells to cast when he goes in for the hit.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

Death Bot posted:

It's the kind of thing where in a story that was trying to avoid power inflation and focus more on the ninja tricks, Sasuke would have figured out a way to deal with Lee's speed through tossing down caltrops or tagging him with a scroll when he comes in for the grab. Instead, Lee being good at a thing is used as a story excuse for Sasuke to then immediately become as good at that thing, but with better magic spells to cast when he goes in for the hit.

I'm personally glad we're not reading that story. I like the fact that it's become an insane power level war. poo poo crazy in FMA and people didn't seem to mind. Ninjas, alchemists, what's the difference? Let's have a good time.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

shaggy-- posted:

I'm personally glad we're not reading that story. I like the fact that it's become an insane power level war. poo poo crazy in FMA and people didn't seem to mind. Ninjas, alchemists, what's the difference? Let's have a good time.

FMA was much more cohesive and well-reasoned, though. There was never a point when it felt like the author had taken a new tack with characters' abilities, or when the interaction between those abilities felt arbitrary. Naruto suffers from the standard shounen trap of scope creep (which generally involves power creep, but I'd argue there is a meaningful distinction between the two). You can feel the fault lines in the story. This is not true, or at least is significantly less true, in FMA. One Piece also does a fairly good job of keeping everything consistent. There better ways and worse ways to do massive scope. Naruto definitely isn't doing it as well as FMA.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Indeed, even the hugest event in FMA was ultimately tied to the very beginning. It never was something that you couldn't buy into because it naturally came about from the very premise.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

FMA didn't really have power creep though? Ed never started transmuting invulnerable armor through sheer willpower.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

ChronoReverse posted:

Indeed, even the hugest event in FMA was ultimately tied to the very beginning. It never was something that you couldn't buy into because it naturally came about from the very premise.

In the very beginning Naruto summoned hundreds of clones at once. It was established at the beginning that stuff would get crazy. He's still cloning and we're still believing.

Kild posted:

FMA didn't really have power creep though? Ed never started transmuting invulnerable armor through sheer willpower.

No, but Greed was close enough with his automatic ultimate-defense skin.

Father/Homonculus was waaaay more powerful than anything I thought I might see at the beginning of the story.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I would have been much happier with this manga if it kept the power levels where they were around the Chuunin Exam.

Even when we saw Kakashi, Asuma, Guy, and Kurenai fight Itachi and Kisame, there really wasn't any sense of mountain exploding ridiculousness. Knowing what Itachi can do now, it's kind of comical how weak he used to act.

Remember when something like Rasengan or Chidori was so deadly it could pretty much kill anyone? Now characters just look at each other to instantly murder them.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Kild posted:

The end of FMA is "Father isn't restricting our super powers anymore!" so you see Mustang throwing out blazes as big as city blocks when before he could only do that with Philosopher's stones to let the heroes stand up to the big bad, because if the big bad couldn't actually threaten the whole world then he wouldn't be big bad enough.

I suppose that's not really power creep so much as a power jump, but Ed himself creeps from getting destroyed by Scar to being faster than him to punching god in the face.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

660's out: http://www.mangareader.net/naruto/660

What the gently caress happened at the end there?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I think Madara sucked up all the tailed beasts at once. Was yours a Mangapanda translation, too? It's always confusing until someone competent takes it on.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nothing much happens till the very last page, ugh.
So is Naruto going to die? More importantly is Bee going to die?

edit: Wait, why isn't Minato's Nine Tails affected by this?

a.lo fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 25, 2013

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Oh dear. Well, it's just like Megatron once said. "It just so happens I've got half a spark left."

Not much else happening, though I liked seeing Subakus backstory, I wonder which number that was.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

shaggy-- posted:

No, but Greed was close enough with his automatic ultimate-defense skin.

Which was proven to have weaknesses and exploited in two very different ways, neither of which were "you lose because I'm stronger."

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

shaggy-- posted:

Father/Homonculus was waaaay more powerful than anything I thought I might see at the beginning of the story.

Didn't Father end up getting suppressed by a few rifle squads and a couple of small mortars? It's been awhile since I've seen FMAB.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

CMD598 posted:

Didn't Father end up getting suppressed by a few rifle squads and a couple of small mortars? It's been awhile since I've seen FMAB.

It took the combined forces of every good guy in the series and literally the entire nation of ishbal and like a hundred years of planning by Hohenheim who himself had absurd magic alchemy powers and was the only reason Father didn't instantly nuke the entire cast (despite being weakened) with his whole "I can create the Sun" dealie.

The soldiers firing stuff at him was purely incidental of "Keep shooting him so he has to waste energy putting up his shields" where the alchemists and greed did all the hard work.

Also, on the topic at hand, poo poo actually went down in that final page.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Nothing much happens till the very last page, ugh.
So is Naruto going to die? More importantly is Bee going to die?

edit: Wait, why isn't Minato's Nine Tails affected by this?

No, neither of them will die. I can say this with assurance because it's Madara pulling the tailed beasts out and since he's more powerful than a god, apparently, he can neglect the previous plot points and remove them without killing the host. It's sort of how Kishimoto retconned the summoning of the Ten Tails from requiring every tailed beast to only requiring a little bit of their chakra to make it work.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I have a ever growing fear that this might drag out until we get three ninja storm games before finally ending.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Shoren posted:

No, neither of them will die. I can say this with assurance because it's Madara pulling the tailed beasts out and since he's more powerful than a god, apparently, he can neglect the previous plot points and remove them without killing the host. It's sort of how Kishimoto retconned the summoning of the Ten Tails from requiring every tailed beast to only requiring a little bit of their chakra to make it work.

Why would he want to negate that?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Skychrono posted:

Why would he want to negate that?

Probably isn't a want, just a side effect of the stupid convenient power he's using.

Why was Akatsuki even needed? Madara can just take on everyone no problem and get all the beasts at once.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
He was kind of old and crippled, if not already dead, when Akatsuki was fully formed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Schubalts posted:

He was kind of old and crippled, if not already dead, when Akatsuki was fully formed.

Yes but he could've been revived / edo tenseid at anytime at his youth apparently.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's what Nagato was supposed to end up doing, but he had other ideas.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
I really liked the panel with Shukaku blocking that sword from skewering Gaara.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was a neat chapter actually. It's a shame the Obito fight murdered any interest I had left in this story because that was an even better resolution to Gaara's character arc than the speech he gave to the assembled ninja army 200 chapters ago.

...You know, I just threw that number out as a wild guess, but I would legitimately not be surprised if that was 200 chapters ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Gaara moment was perfect and remind me about why I'm reading this manga on the first place, but everything went to poo poo thanks to Madara. I mean, what's the point of having inspiring moments of hope if those are gonna be throwed because 'gently caress you, I'm the end boss'?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Shoren posted:

No, neither of them will die. I can say this with assurance because it's Madara pulling the tailed beasts out and since he's more powerful than a god, apparently, he can neglect the previous plot points and remove them without killing the host.

Well Naruto won't die at least, because he's an Uzumaki.

In terms of the speed this happening, Kurama got yanked from Kushina really quickly too. The extractions took long time for Akatsuki because they were transferring them into the statue.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Teek posted:

Well Naruto won't die at least, because he's an Uzumaki.

In terms of the speed this happening, Kurama got yanked from Kushina really quickly too. The extractions took long time for Akatsuki because they were transferring them into the statue.

Yeah but that was when the seal was the weakest.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kild posted:

Yeah but that was when the seal was the weakest.

Naruto has been weakening the seal on the Kyuubi throughout like the entire series. Like he figuratively opened the gate that the Kyuubi was locked behind.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirDrone posted:

I have a ever growing fear that this might drag out until we get three ninja storm games before finally ending.
We got a third one already, unless you mean three more.

Shoren posted:

It's sort of how Kishimoto retconned the summoning of the Ten Tails from requiring every tailed beast to only requiring a little bit of their chakra to make it work.
Which means none of the other jinchuriki needed to die in the first place :smith:

Honestly, everything about the way the jinchuriki were handled is one of the single dumbest things (probably THE dumbest if you exclude anything eye magic-related) about this series.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"I want my child... to be treated as a hero."

"Welp, let's hide all traces of this ever happening and leave him to the wolves."

Hiding his parents' true identity is one thing, but you'd think Sarutobi or Jiraiya would at least have adopted Naruto.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BlitzBlast posted:

"I want my child... to be treated as a hero."

"Welp, let's hide all traces of this ever happening and leave him to the wolves."

Hiding his parents' true identity is one thing, but you'd think Sarutobi or Jiraiya would at least have adopted Naruto.

Considering how he turned out determined the fate of the village you'd think they would of done a better job of looking out for him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It took the combined forces of every good guy in the series and literally the entire nation of ishbal and like a hundred years of planning by Hohenheim who himself had absurd magic alchemy powers and was the only reason Father didn't instantly nuke the entire cast (despite being weakened) with his whole "I can create the Sun" dealie.

The soldiers firing stuff at him was purely incidental of "Keep shooting him so he has to waste energy putting up his shields" where the alchemists and greed did all the hard work.

Also, on the topic at hand, poo poo actually went down in that final page.

Father was only that powerful because he ate god.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

U.T. Raptor posted:

Which means none of the other jinchuriki needed to die in the first place :smith:

Honestly, everything about the way the jinchuriki were handled is one of the single dumbest things (probably THE dumbest if you exclude anything eye magic-related) about this series.

I still don't get why every loving tailed beast needed a container (Besides merchandising) or every single one needs to be some creature of purity that was misunderstood by humanity. It's not even a big problem with the story except for Shukaku who was portrayed as evil as gently caress and now he's being retroactively redeemed? This is despite him actively trying to kill the poo poo out of everything and cackling about how awesome it is to be a bad guy. Yet it turns out all along he was only kind of homicidal because humans were jerks and his previous container was a cool dude? Can a thing just stay evil in this series and it not be messed with? I get the theme is redemption and anyone can be a good person, but when you let basically everyone become a good person the villains stop having meaning and everything is sort of devalued. I still think Kabuto's gonna show back up and become a good guy somehow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man, this is some really lovely and unclear writing. The drawing isn't exactly great either, so it's hard to tell what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

i, for one, cant wait for triple elation to tell us about how much he dislikes readiing this shonen manga that he reads abnd comments on every week

• Locked thread