Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quift
May 11, 2012
So now I have fixed the sitting in the issue by uninstalling the helgen mod. So now I have a working game but I get CTD on death.. Quite hardcore I suppose but still innconvinient. Specially since it is not only on death.

My goal with this modding is to create a bigger and harder experience. I want to feel like there is more going on in the world than my hero. A biggger, livlier and more dangerous world with plenty to explore. I die constantly so I'm almost there..

Any tips on stuff to remove or add to simplify this are welcome.

This i my mod load order:

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Falskaar.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
JSwords.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
moonpath.esm
RiverHelm.esm
SPERG.esm
SPIKE.esm
XFLMain.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
LIAT - Sounds.esp
Thundering Shouts.esp
All Geared Up.esp
Auto Unequip Helmet.esp
Birdsofskyrim.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
College_of_Winterhold_Shop_Fixes_and_Extras.esp
Craftable and Placeable Havok-enabled Bedrolls .esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
FishingInSkyrim.esp
GypsyEyesCaravan.esp
HoldBorderBanners.esp
Hunterborn.esp
Hunterborn_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
Hunterborn_Frostfall-Patch.esp
Immersive Battles.esp
Immersive Brigands.esp
Immersive Dawnguard.esp
Immersive Dragonborn.esp
Immersive Factions.esp
Immersive Mercenaries.esp
Immersive Patrols.esp
Immersive Travelers.esp
Immersive Werewolves.esp
knownspells.esp
Lanterns Of Skyrim - AIO - Dawnguard.esp
LIAT - NPCs.esp
manny Lantern Caretakers.esp
More_Saddles.esp
PassiveWeaponEnchantmentRecharging.esp
Point The Way.esp
Portable Campsite.esp
Races.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
Smash It Up - Functional Mills.esp
SumOverPath.esp
Mark Books as Read.esp
SkyUI.esp
Actualize Apparel.esp
BoundArmors.esp
Cloaks.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
ConvenientCrossbows.esp
HBetterBows.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
MECR_Classic_Nord_Shields.esp
OMageReplacerPack.esp
On Dragon Tongue.esp
PIVariety.esp
PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp
Thanatos Dragonx.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
https://www.esp
Dr_BandolierDG.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
BecomeKingOfRiverHelm.esp
Breezehome_Fully_Upgradable.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
CWIDawnguardPatch.esp
CWIDragonbornPatch.esp
CZHCAD.esp
Dawnstar_Fortified.esp
RIC_Dawnstar.esp
DF127MillwaterRetreat.esp
Immersive Darkwater crossing.esp
Immersive Dawnstar.esp
Immersive Falkreath.esp
Immersive Ivarstead.esp
Immersive Karthwasten.esp
Immersive Kynesgrove.esp
Immersive Dragon Bridge.esp
Immersive Morthal.esp
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp
Immersive Riverwood.esp
Immersive Rorikstead.esp
Immersive Shors stone.esp
Immersive Stonehills.esp
Immersive Whiterun.esp
Inconsequential NPCs.esp
moonpath_questdata.esp
MzarkWonders.esp
NoRoadPredators.esp
OBIS.esp
OBISDB.esp
robbersroost.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
silverfish.esp
SpouseStoreMod.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
towBlockSteal.esp
whiterunMarket.esp
winterhold_improvements.esp
Morrowloot.esp
Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
BardRequestBreak.esp
ESFCompanions.esp
FSS-No pause between lines.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Organized Books v1.2.esp
Proper Aiming.esp
SkyFalls - Distant Waterfall Overhaul.esp
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
TimingIsEverything.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
VariousGuardReplacer.esp
wizDynamicThings.esp
skyforgedWeapons.esp
Better Windhelm.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
ETaC - Complete HF Patch.esp
ETaC - Smelters.esp
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp
Morthal walls.esp
NerniesSolitude.esp
City of Dawnstar.esp
Populated Cities 2.esp
BetterCitiesWhiterun.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_Snow-40.esp
CoT-WeatherPatch_NL4.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
BuryTheDead.esp
Dwemerverse - Dwarven Magic Package.esp
MasterTheTimeAndSpaceTOGGLE.esp
Auto Unequip Shield.esp
DeadlyCombat.esp
DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
Soul Gems Differ - E.esp
Stealth Skills Rebalanced_COMPLETE.esp
SPERG.esp
StavesofSkyrim.esp
3DNPC.esp
Inigo.esp
XFLDialogue.esp
XFLPlugins.esp
Spousetocustomhome.esp
BecomeKingofSkyrim.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
Skyrim Sizes.esp
House Markers.esp
CWIOpulentOutfitsPatch.esp
Unique Region Names.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
RBS.esp
better_cities_solitude.esp
OpulentMageUSKPReplacerPatch.esp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
My game keeps crashing to desktop when nearing Goldenglow Estate, anyone have encountered this or have any idea what could be causing it? I can play the game normally for hours, but as soon as I get near that drat house, poof, back to the desktop with me. :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

My game keeps crashing to desktop when nearing Goldenglow Estate, anyone have encountered this or have any idea what could be causing it? I can play the game normally for hours, but as soon as I get near that drat house, poof, back to the desktop with me. :(

Something in your mod list is conflicting with that worldspace. Load your mods up in TESVEdit and see which ones mess with that area.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Scyantific posted:

Something in your mod list is conflicting with that worldspace. Load your mods up in TESVEdit and see which ones mess with that area.

Thought it may be as much, but I just did a quick googling and looks like it's a rather common problem, even for people without mods. I'll take a look at the mods with TESVEdit and see if I can find something anyway.

Cheers.

/edit: Looks like I got it to not crash by doing a "savegame purge" of a kind, as described here, and I disabled Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds (I actually had done this before and it still crashed, so this may not be it but I wanted to be sure).

I managed to get into Goldenglow, but now it looks like it gets to loading screens and just... stops loading. It just loops the object animation and music, but never loads.

drat, and I had gotten it running so nicely lately. :(

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Are there any mods that add a good sized dungeon with new assets rather than Dwemer Structure #46594 or Nordic Tomb #9582? I'm not looking for a massive quest line or a huge new location, just like 1 or 2 unique looking dungeons.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

Are there any mods that add a good sized dungeon with new assets rather than Dwemer Structure #46594 or Nordic Tomb #9582? I'm not looking for a massive quest line or a huge new location, just like 1 or 2 unique looking dungeons.

The best one for that would be Moonpath to Elsewyr.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Scyantific posted:

The best one for that would be Moonpath to Elsewyr.

I already have that installed, I probably should have mentioned that. I was looking for others like it but on a smaller scale.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aside from that, I'm not too sure there are any out there. You could probably look into stuff like Skywind or the Beyond Cyrodill/Skyrim series of mods, but that's all I can think of atm.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

Conan Hyborean Age adds a decent sized dungeon, with the added gimmick of being dark enough that you absolutely need a light source. In terms of new assets, it has several new items taken straight from the movies, and a few new Conan-themed static objects here and there. On the other hand, it does mostly use Nordic Tomb assets and I think the enemies are all draugr.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
There doesn't happen to be a Skyrim mod similar to Nights are Darker does there? I'd love nights that feel more like night, but that aren't so dark that it's impossible to do anything during them.

EDIT: Err, that was confusingly phrased.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 26, 2013

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

There doesn't happen to be a Skyrim mod similar to Nights are Darker for New Vegas does there? I'd love nights that feel more like night, but that aren't so dark that it's impossible to do anything during them.

ENB dickery is probably your best bet, as far as I know.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone know of some good spell effect retextures? The default sparks spell looks like poo poo when using HD Fire Effects (the fire effects are ten times better)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Are there any alchemy sorter mods? Google returns just one, and it's just a modders resource.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I just grabbed the game on Steam and I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before (except for a little bit of unmodded Oblivion). I have no particularly strong opinions about how an ES game "should" work, but I want a reasonably representative first playthrough (unless I shouldn't want that). Has someone put together a canon of a few absolutely brilliant mods that aren't pulling the game into someone's niche tastes? The OP is intimidating as gently caress, and a bit of browsing the thread hasn't brought up a short list. Is there a post you guys can point me to?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

George posted:

I have no particularly strong opinions about how an ES game "should" work, but I want a reasonably representative first playthrough (unless I shouldn't want that).
Other then the Unofficial Patches I wouldn't use any mods at first. Play a bit of vanilla until you have a good idea of what you want to change in your game. Then go over the OP.

Important advice: Start small. The number one mistake people new to modding these games make is installing 100+ mods at once. If something goes wrong, you'll have no way to troubleshoot things. Install & test mods one at the time, or at least in small batches.
Also read readmes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

George posted:

I just grabbed the game on Steam and I've never played an Elder Scrolls game before (except for a little bit of unmodded Oblivion). I have no particularly strong opinions about how an ES game "should" work, but I want a reasonably representative first playthrough (unless I shouldn't want that). Has someone put together a canon of a few absolutely brilliant mods that aren't pulling the game into someone's niche tastes? The OP is intimidating as gently caress, and a bit of browsing the thread hasn't brought up a short list. Is there a post you guys can point me to?

I'd just play vanilla, with the unofficial mods, or at most use a few texture mods. Once you've figured out what you like, and what you don't, you can get into more stuff.

If you do want to fix a few of the issues that'll become evident halfway through SPERG is a really lightweight overhaul that'll make the perks a lot more fun. And makes playing a mage not totally boring. In vanilla Skyrim magic damage doesn't actually scale, but you can stunlock everything to death. Slowly and very, very boringly. SPERG fixes that, and unarmed. And Shouting. Really if you want to do anyting besides hit people with a sword or bow you should probably pick up SPERG or SKYRe or any other overhaul.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Cool, that's nice to hear. What about these mods I see that make NPCs not run into dragons' mouths? Is there some quality of life mod that I really owe it to myself to install?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've put an unhealthy amount of time into vanilla Skyrim and I haven't had the problem of dragons killing people I needed :shobon:. Really the default patched up game is pretty fantastic on its own.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

George posted:

Cool, that's nice to hear. What about these mods I see that make NPCs not run into dragons' mouths? Is there some quality of life mod that I really owe it to myself to install?

Run for your Lives and When Vampires Attack will keep your NPCs from killing themselves. These are in the OP so it shouldn't be hard to find them. You should also install SkyUI as well as the Better Dialogue Controls and Better MessageBox Controls mods to make the UI not as much of a steaming pile of poo poo.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

George posted:

Scyantific should add the recommended "Vanilla-like" list to the OP. I saved a link after recommending this list to a friend a while back.

Scyantific posted:

Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

My recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

As for installing them, you'll want to install Mod Organizer, and install your mods through there. MO has a quick walkthrough the first time you start it up, and there are videos and links on how to use it and other mods in the OP.

George
Nov 27, 2004

grrarg posted:

Scyantific should add the recommended "Vanilla-like" list to the OP. I saved a link after recommending this list to a friend a while back.

Perfect! I still can't believe how long this list is, though.

Thanks for all the great help, everyone!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hmm, I'm getting a SkyUI error message ingame telling my the SKSE is not installed/updated, despite having reinstalled the SKSE version 1_06_16.

Both should be the latest available versions (grabbed them today from the links in the OP). Any ideas?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Are you running from the skse launcher or skyrim.exe?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Added the recommended list of first time mods to the second post in the OP.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ok, quick update in case it's useful for someone: I was having some issues with goldenglow estate, it would just ctd as soon as I approached it. I ended up disabling Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds, and doing a purge of old savefiles and it worked alright, but whenever I changed area from indoors to Skyrim, my game would just stay on the loading screen forever.

I was using uGridsToLoad = 9 , I bumped it down to 7 and added a parameter I didn't have before, iPreloadSizeLimit, and now it works like a charm. I'll do a bit of a test and put it back to 9 but adding the appropriate iPreloadSizeLimit and see how it goes and report back, but the recommended values would be these:

[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=64
uGridsToLoad=7
iPreloadSizeLimit=51380224

[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=100
uGridsToLoad=9
iPreloadSizeLimit=84934656

[General]
uExterior Cell Buffer=144
uGridsToLoad=11
iPreloadSizeLimit=126877696

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

loving with uGridsToLoad is a recipe for headaches.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SplitSoul posted:

loving with uGridsToLoad is a recipe for headaches.

Aye, seems like it. Thing to notice though, I just bumped it to 11 just to see how it would implode and it's actually running fine so far, I think missing that PreloadSizeLimit parameter was loving me up worse than having bumped up the grids.

Of course it's going to crash and burn soon-ish and then I'll tone it back down to 7, but at least I learned something. :v:
/edit: Yup, there it went. Back to 7 with you!

Now if only the loving dlc would go on sale. :argh:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 26, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

GrizzlyCow posted:

Are you running from the skse launcher or skyrim.exe?

Ah, found it. Works now!

George
Nov 27, 2004

What the hell is up with Mod Organizer? The "main" download on the Nexus isn't the newest, and it didn't recognize SKSE when I tried installing the UI mod, but trying "higher" versions of Mod Organizer was its own pain. What version am I supposed to be using?

edit: now the program's updater decides to work, so maybe things will go better this time

edit 2: nope, still not installing the UI mod because it says SKSE isn't there.

George fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 26, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So how does Morrowloot affect armor/weapon packs like dragonbone ebonsteel, immersive armor/weapons or anything that adds new items of higher quality than steel to the leveled/crafting lists? Can you find them in chests and the like or do they just get completely obviated?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

George posted:

What the hell is up with Mod Organizer? The "main" download on the Nexus isn't the newest, and it didn't recognize SKSE when I tried installing the UI mod, but trying "higher" versions of Mod Organizer was its own pain. What version am I supposed to be using?

edit: now the program's updater decides to work, so maybe things will go better this time

edit 2: nope, still not installing the UI mod because it says SKSE isn't there.

Ignore the "can't find SKSE" messages when installing SkyUI, it's standard. SkyUI should install fine.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So how does Morrowloot affect armor/weapon packs like dragonbone ebonsteel, immersive armor/weapons or anything that adds new items of higher quality than steel to the leveled/crafting lists? Can you find them in chests and the like or do they just get completely obviated?

It doesn't. Morrowloot only messes with the base game's items, and mod-added stuff to the leveled lists will still show up if you did a merged/bashed patch. That stuff will also show up in the crafting lists regardless.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now if only the loving dlc would go on sale. :argh:

Dawnguard and Dragonborn were half-price during the autumn sale, so that's when I grabbed them. I'd already had Hearthfires, though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

taiyoko posted:

Dawnguard and Dragonborn were half-price during the autumn sale, so that's when I grabbed them. I'd already had Hearthfires, though.

Yeah, I was hoping to get both for :tenbux:, but that may have been asking too much. Oh well :sigh:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Is there a quick and easy way to see exactly what is causing a crash using tes5edit? I'd rather not trawl through all my mods to find the cause as I have quite a few and any documentation I can find on the subject may as well be written in Swahili for all the sense they make.

I've used BOSS to sort out any problems stated there but I'm still getting crashes when I get to Helgan :argh:

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 27, 2013

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is it just me, or is Nexusmods increasingly unstable and lovely?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

It does seem to be making GBS threads itself to death on a more regular basis. Maybe lots of people got shiny new PCs and have decided to download all the graphical and/or porn mods they could never run before.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If I install sperg, do I have to start my charater from scratch?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

DJ Dizzy posted:

It's been incredibly unreliable all day for me too. It looks like they were doing some maintenance earlier so maybe that had something to do with it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Not exactly, but it's better if you do, so you can take more advantage of the stuff SPERG has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

No. All you need to do is use the mod configuration menu to reset your perk points. Also reduce the point total accordingly if you don't feel like cheating.

• Locked thread