Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
edit: whoops, wrong thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I was stumped on what to buy my dad and stepmom for Christmas. So I bought them a gift certificate for basic obedience training for their poorly behaved labrador. :smugdog:

'Tis the year for passive aggressive gifts, apparently. This will probably be the best $80 I spend on random bullshit in 2013.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Grape Soda posted:

I was stumped on what to buy my dad and stepmom for Christmas. So I bought them a gift certificate for basic obedience training for their poorly behaved labrador. :smugdog:

'Tis the year for passive aggressive gifts, apparently. This will probably be the best $80 I spend on random bullshit in 2013.

This is absolutely hilarious and a fantastic idea. :golfclap:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Grape Soda posted:

I support this wholeheartedly. If that doesn't work, get them a gift certificate for a free euth next year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grape Soda posted:

It's a really great gift and suggestion however I'd bet you :10bux: that they'retheir time is simply far too important to spend 1-4 hours a week to take their dog to some classes and learn why it's constantly out of control in a half-assed manner.

-I had a 100 lb doofus black lab growing up and she was ridiculously dumb and energetic until she was 7+ (but good on a leash because we spent one summer in classes and practising the homework we were given). She would've lived to probably 13 at the rate she was going trotting around our farmland fence-row every day, except that I moved to college and my parents moved off their big property, to a smaller house with a .5 acre yard while I was away in college. :btroll: :ohdear: :dawkins101:

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
We had to run to the emergency vet on Christmas Eve less than an hour before we were supposed to leave for our relatives' house because Indy was suddenly squinting and pawing at her right eye, which looked red and inflamed.

Thankfully it's just conjunctivitis and not a corneal scratch, but great timing, cat! And now we have to somehow put ointment in her eye twice a day for a week, AND she gets the Cone of Shame. Merry Christmas!

Edit: Shaaaaaaame

Robo Kitty fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 25, 2013

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

One of my dogs won't play with squeaky toys either, he's actually kind of afraid of the squeaking noise. No idea why.
She has a squeaky ball and a squeaky star that she'll play with for hours but the squeaky dragon is apparently not a toy as far as her goofy dog brain is concerned.

We took dog to snow yesterday, let her off leash and she ran around like a spaz until it was time to leave. She then snored the entire way home, woke up long enough to eat her dinner, then went back to snoring on the sofa. She's still snoring. A few hours of exercise and she's dead to the world for the next day or so. Old dogs are so lazy, it's awesome.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

So, I've not had any power/heat for about a week now, due to last weekend's ice storm. (No water either due to concerns of burst pipes but can't leave because our sump pit needs drained manually every few hours blah blah e/n.) But it's cute... Normally I'm the one who's concerned about the dogs but now my husband is expressing concern about leaving them for any length of time. He loves this silly little frozen chihuahua so much.

The chihuahua is very cold. As am I. Cohen seems happy enough but totally loving stir crazy.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

GSD Rescue Lady posted:

I'm so very disappointed and hurt to say that Max was returned yesterday. I guess the possible 12 Year commitment agreement meant only if Max was perfect. The adoptive family said he was good 99.9% of the time. I was sooooo careful selecting his next home given the heartache he has already experienced. I failed him.

Having Max at the rescue for several weeks I feel as if he had a very calm temperament with some anxiety when going back into the kennel. This anxiety is normal. The adopter said that he bit one of the family members over the holiday and contributed the incident to likely protectiveness. They did not opt to investigate with a professional dog trainer or care to put any further effort into fixing whatever led to the bite.

Max is very depressed and I'm very upset. Sad they didn't care enough about him knowing how he ended up in a rescue, to fix any issue he had. So let down for Max. There is NO perfect dog. Any dog who has been under stress needs TIME, PATIENCE, and COMMITMENT. Let me repeat, COMMITMENT.

UGH how in the WORLD could someone return a dog for biting when they had no prior knowledge of it?!? THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT COMMITMENT MEANS.

Obviously they should have known to expect a bite history from his description...

Adoption Info posted:

Sweet Max has a very sad story. His Mommy was killed while trying to rescue an injured animal alongside a road. Her final act mirrored her life helping stray animals. Max is a loving and well-behaved boy. He appears to behave well with other dogs and children. My dream for Max is to live in a very loving home with a large fenced yard where he can roam safely and freely without constantly needing leashed. Max is approximately 4 years of age, affectionate, calm, playful, loves car rides, and an overall great boy.

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 27, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Max is probably very depressed someone took his new squeaky toy away from him. It was a cool one. It shot blood everywhere.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

A rescue that lies about potentially serious behavioral problems? I am shocked, absolutely shocked that such a thing could ever happen.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

A rescue that lies about potentially serious behavioral problems? I am shocked, absolutely shocked that such a thing could ever happen.

Dogs are only ever returned to rescues (multiple times) for reasons that are totally not their fault. Just lots of stupid people adopting dogs who are unprepared for normal dog behaviors like mauling other dogs and biting people in the face.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I dunno, I sort of expect GSDs to be nippy little shits unless properly managed. Then again I don't really think GSDs should be kept by your average dog owner.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Pile of Kittens posted:

I dunno, I sort of expect GSDs to be nippy little shits unless properly managed. Then again I don't really think GSDs should be kept by your average dog owner.

Yeah, but I expect full disclosure from a rescue about any dog's behavior. I understand shelters often don't even have a chance to really get a feel for a dog's personality because of the surroundings and circumstances, but a dog that has been with a foster family for at least a few weeks should come with a lot of information about personality and tendencies.

Crazy rescues like to blame people for not trying hard enough, but the reality is that a lot of people don't find dogs that bite people worth the effort, whatever the breed tendencies. There are lots of dogs that need homes that don't bite people.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Serella posted:

Yeah, but I expect full disclosure from a rescue about any dog's behavior. I understand shelters often don't even have a chance to really get a feel for a dog's personality because of the surroundings and circumstances, but a dog that has been with a foster family for at least a few weeks should come with a lot of information about personality and tendencies.

Crazy rescues like to blame people for not trying hard enough, but the reality is that a lot of people don't find dogs that bite people worth the effort, whatever the breed tendencies. There are lots of dogs that need homes that don't bite people.

Well and I'm sure if people were honest about "hey the dog has a bite history" they might not find a new sap to pass the dog off on! On the other hand, being honest with prospective adopters means they might get someone who knows what they need to watch out for. At least they didn't euth the dog for biting a child.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
That rescue poo poo sounds pretty much exactly like the glossing over that talked me into Griff and the bluhbluhbluh-ing that occured when she was finally euthed.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Serella posted:

This, and that's pretty much exactly how I feel about biting in rescue dogs unless its some weird-rear end breed or circumstance were biting people is acceptable.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Superconsndar posted:

That rescue poo poo sounds pretty much exactly like the glossing over that talked me into Griff and the bluhbluhbluh-ing that occured when she was finally euthed.

I didn't know about this. She was just too damaged for her new owner to deal with?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I didn't know about this. She was just too damaged for her new owner to deal with?

Ate his curtains or something I think. Or was that a different dog?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

McDragon posted:

Ate his curtains or something I think. Or was that a different dog?

I thought it was that he kept her outside and then she was nippy with him and he was like "meh" and had her euthed.

e: to be clear, this is the dickwad that Super rehomed Griff with, not Super

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

He left griff out her cement bottomed kennel and she ate some curtains I think. then he euthed her.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

For me?

FOR ME!

Happy howlidays to us all.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Super told him straight up that Griff would destroy poo poo unless she was kept in the excellent kennel he had for her while he was gone, he totally ignored that poo poo and left her out, she ate his curtains, he got pissed and took her back to the shelter, when Super confronted him about it he said he ~~~tried~~~ to call/text her but she had no missed calls/texts, so Super said "gently caress it" and called the shelter and told them it was better to just euth her.

GAWD, DON'T YOU PEOPLE PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE LIVES OF INTERNET STRANGERS.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Super told him straight up that Griff would destroy poo poo unless she was kept in the excellent kennel he had for her while he was gone, he totally ignored that poo poo and left her out, she ate his curtains, he got pissed and took her back to the shelter, when Super confronted him about it he said he ~~~tried~~~ to call/text her but she had no missed calls/texts, so Super said "gently caress it" and called the shelter and told them it was better to just euth her.

GAWD, DON'T YOU PEOPLE PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE LIVES OF INTERNET STRANGERS.

YEAH. THIS.

He had her for less than 48 hours before he dumped her. I found out because rescue ladies at the shelter recognized her and contacted me via facebook. He was a 50+ year old volunteer firefighter with experience with guardian breeds, and had a covered, concrete bottomed run in his backyard for her to use while he was at work (which was about the only way she could have been contained and a big reason why I let her go to him.) He had full disclosure about all of her issues and everything she'd ever done and sounded exactly like he knew what he was getting into. She also LOVED him which was weird because....she was Griff. Made it very clear to him that I would take her back if there was an issue and to PLEASE let me know if it wasn't working out. Next thing I know I'm being mauled on facebook my rescue ladies shrieking about how my dog was at the shelter and had been dumped there by some guy that morning and I'm like WHAT so I call him (no answer) then texted him. He says she had "the worst separation anxiety he'd ever seen" (no poo poo!!!) and had hosed up some stuff in his house and ripped down some curtains and growled at his elderly mother and he had to go to work and had to "make a snap decision." He said he tried to text me and I didn't respond (lol no.) He never apologized or anything and I had 50+ rabid rescuemoms blowing up my phone and facebook and breathing down my neck to GO GET HER so I called AC and was like "look this is what happened, the next step for me was going to be euthanasia so you might as well." AC was catty about it, rescuemoms were livid, everyone was scandalized, the guy I gave her to rested easy because "well I know a guy who works there and there were some people looking at her already when I left" (lol it was the rescuemoms who recognized her) "so I'm sure someone will get her." I told him what was going to happen to her and he never responded and then I had a big huge depressive breakdown for like two days. The end. :angel:

Edit: NOTE: Never, at any point, did any of the fire breathing rescue ladies who were screaming for blood offer to go get her before she was put down at the end of the day. :)

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 30, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

This, and that's pretty much exactly how I feel about biting in rescue dogs unless its some weird-rear end breed or circumstance were biting people is acceptable.

Yup. Some people are willing to deal with it, but not me. It's one thing if it's an accident or you stick your hand between two dogs fighting and get nailed, but a dog that actively bites a person? Nahhhh.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

Edit: NOTE: Never, at any point, did any of the fire breathing rescue ladies who were screaming for blood offer to go get her before she was put down at the end of the day. :)

gently caress rescue ladies.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it's not their fault you did this to Griff!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bad Munki posted:

Well it's not their fault you did this to Griff!

Griff probably should have been euthed before Super even tried to get her the first time- the dog was loving nuts and dangerous.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My nasty breath cat is finally getting his teeth cleaned on Thursday. Seeping what if's hit me today and now I'm all :ohdear: about him going under anesthesia. I'm sure he'll be fine, as far as I know he doesn't need any extractions or anything major done. I just can't help but worry. He is a good cat. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Griff probably should have been euthed before Super even tried to get her the first time- the dog was loving nuts and dangerous.

Yeah if I had known the extent of her crazy I wouldn't have touched that poo poo with a 10 foot pole

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I thought ten foot poles were the only way to train pits :confused:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah if I had known the extent of her crazy I wouldn't have touched that poo poo with a 10 foot pole

Maybe they euthed her with a 10 foot pole.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've got someone working on my house and I can't get Aslan to get over it. He's in Super Protection Mode right now and he's kind of making me crazy.

This is why I like sighthounds. "Sure, yeah, steal all their poo poo, I don't care."

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
We have two sofas in our house. The main one in the living room has blankets for the dog on on it, the other one in the dinning area has a little round cat bed on it for the fat cat. We have two dog beds, one in the living room by the window and one in the bedroom next to the bed. Guesses on where the dog goes when we tell her to go lay down?

She is part cat or something.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

Dear goony fellow I met at the grocery store parking lot today,

I'm assuming you're actually a goon since you "knew [me] from the internet". Thank you for not being creepier when I was startled that you knew my name.

Sincerely,
Milo

PS Sorry I think I got that grocery bag at Albertsons, not Target.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's a shame Gail is going deaf in her old age, but at least fireworks don't seem to upset her any more. She's just snoring away. :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

an expert posted:

Dear goony fellow I met at the grocery store parking lot today,

I'm assuming you're actually a goon since you "knew [me] from the internet". Thank you for not being creepier when I was startled that you knew my name.

Sincerely,
Milo

PS Sorry I think I got that grocery bag at Albertsons, not Target.

Hahah, awwwww :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Hahah, awwwww :3

Dude it was weird as gently caress. I was chilling, waiting for my cripple bus, and some guy is like "Oh hey Milo, hows it going?" and I was like "I'm... I'm good, you?" because I am half blind and forgetful as hell, so I thought maybe I knew him from somewhere? We talked briefly, ended on a mutual "Have a happy new year!", then as he was walking away I heard him say to the guy walking with him, "I knew him from the internet" and my mind was blown.

• Locked thread