Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yep, still excited about this game. I wonder if there is any significance to "multi-region open world", as opposed to just open world?

Maybe it's like Far Cry 2/3 where you go to a different map once you've reached a certain point in the story? I don't know what else it would imply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it means regions differ significantly, so you get swamps, forests, snow-covered mountains etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yep, still excited about this game. I wonder if there is any significance to "multi-region open world", as opposed to just open world?

I think its what Alex314 said. There will probably be a huge region that Novigrad is in, in Redania; but when you sail to the island chain (that I do not know the name of) that is off the coast you will move to a different large open region; then if you go somewhere into Nilfgaardian (sp?) territory it will be yet another different open region, ect. They will be big places with no loading screens leaving the city to go into the countryside or into a castle, but there will be a loading screen to go from Redania to Nilfgaard.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

alex314 posted:

I think it means regions differ significantly, so you get swamps, forests, snow-covered mountains etc.

I don't quite remember, but I think they've talked about different areas being very distinct, yeah. And also that you'll be able to travel freely but not right from the start (or that some areas will be too difficult at low levels.

Speaking of levels, it's kinda funny how Geralt start from scratch in 2 and, presumably, 3, despite being a veteran witcher. I wouldn't want amnesia for every game but it would be cool if some specific skills from 2 carried over to the next game. Throne of Bhaal-style.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of levels, it's kinda funny how Geralt start from scratch in 2 and, presumably, 3, despite being a veteran witcher. I wouldn't want amnesia for every game but it would be cool if some specific skills from 2 carried over to the next game. Throne of Bhaal-style.

I hope they expand the skill tree that they had in 2 and let you start off with a bunch of skill points to apply as you see fit (or depend on a loaded save, I guess). So that it does not feel like you are starting from scratch but still have a reason to level. Heck, they could keep the same tree and simply let the player get enough points to have skills in every tree.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't quite remember, but I think they've talked about different areas being very distinct, yeah. And also that you'll be able to travel freely but not right from the start (or that some areas will be too difficult at low levels.

This isn't entirely true. Both games have you start with a level one character, but story-wise, Witcher 2 Geralt at least started with all his signs that were in the first game, as well as some combat moves.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

This isn't entirely true. Both games have you start with a level one character, but story-wise, Witcher 2 Geralt at least started with all his signs that were in the first game, as well as some combat moves.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the signs. Of course Geralt started out being very proficient with sword in 2 but were there really specific moves taken from the first game?

Anyway, that's a good way to keep skills between games. To add to what Mickey McKey said, they could let you start with an adrenaline bar and one of the top skills from 2, though obviously nerfed compared to 2. So you start with, for example, the group finisher ability, but at lvl 1 it only lets you deal extra damage to two enemies at the same time and you can upgrade it from there.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the signs. Of course Geralt started out being very proficient with sword in 2 but were there really specific moves taken from the first game?

Some of the light and heavy attack combos are similar to the moves from the strong and fast monster stances in the first game. The one I really noticed was when he does that pirouette strike with the light attacks. You don't have that move initially in the fast stance in the first game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Locations chat: Nilfgaard alone offers shitton of different styles - Empire looks a bit like Holy Roman Empire with more distinct countries directly or indirectly ruled by the Emperor. Some countries seem celtic (with names like Cahir Mawr Dyffryn aep Ceallach), but Sapkowski haven't really described them in great detail. I guess it gives even more freedom for CDP Red. Unless they consider Cintra Nilfgaard now.
I should also finish W2 already, I consider it a really good game, I even enjoy crafting stuff yet I've lately spend more time on worse games.. Guess it's a matter of losing 2 saves, end of act 1 and end of act 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, losing progress can put me off a game for long while, even if I love it.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Is this thread dead as a door nail or am I missing the Witcher 3 thread somewhere?

Anyway, for content: I played W2 on release but haven't played either 2.0 or Enhanced. I've done both the Roche and Iorveth path back then, so what kind of replay would I get the most new content out of? Did they change a lot in Acts 1 and 2, or is it mostly Act 3 that received some love?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yes, this thread is pretty dead at this point; TW3 is a ways off yet and a thread for it would be mostly pointless because news is intermittent at best and there would probably not be much activity in it, either.

I do not know what to tell you about the changes, but I am fairly certain nothing major -including the length of Act 3- changed.

edit: people are posting Witcher 3 news in here when it pops up, though, so if you are looking for stuff on it keep the thread bookmarked and watch for activity.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's a separate new Act 3 quest added for both of the paths, and they're both good. The Roche Path one was involves political intrigue between the Temerian nobles and the Iorveth Path one involves Nilfgaardian spies on a mission. So whichever one of those sounds more interesting.

Acts 1 and 2 are the same, however.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 23, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
For the timebeing, Witcher 3 news is just being posted in here. I figure when they announce a release date, I'll make a new Witcher thread and collate all the news and info that's out so far.

I'd love to be posting all kinds of mods for Witcher 2 seeing as the RED Kit is in public beta, but sadly there hasn't been much of... well, anything.

EDIT: On that note, Witcher 2 is a Steam daily deal for $4.99!!! WOW!

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 23, 2013

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sorry if this issue has been covered before, but are there any FoV tools that work with the game? The FoV for the 16:10 aspect ratio is way too narrow. It feels like I'm playing Dead Space or something.

Might as well necro this quote, because three years later, there is! And I'm pretty sure some people fresh from the sale are gonna be wondering the same thing assuming you didn't get it when they ran out of keys

http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=76
http://www.mediafire.com/download/860p22xa5w48gw6/redkit_76_8c050e2c.zip (if you don't feel like registering)

Throw Fov_1_1 in Users\You\Documents\Witcher 2\UserContent, then enable it in the Mods section of the launcher, save, then launch. Press the F key to up the FOV in 5 degree increments, and H to reset it. Check the readme if you're using any variant of FCR, as it has some issues with it as-is

Vanilla

+15

+30

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is awesome, thanks for posting it. I'm not fresh off the sale because I've had this game since it came out but I only recently got a computer that can run it so I'm finally playing.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, youtuber MrBTongue (guy who does Plinkett-style criticisms of RPGs) just uploaded a video where he talks about the Witcher 1&2 and how they did things differently from the rest of the genre:

http://youtu.be/qRsqAmuxjNk

It's 10 mins or so, and worth watching imo.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

DoctorTristan posted:

Good find, and it does put a finger on exactly the sort of thing that makes the Witcher different from Dragon Age. I'm currently engaging in a holiday tradition: playing enourmously long bioware RPGs over the break, desperately trying to finish them this time.

Anyway, the stark contrast between the writing styles in the games are really obvious playing them back to back.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, I finally bought the game when it was on steam sale, and am ready to try it now, but I was wondering, how do you get rid of the floaty mouse in the menus?

For reference, I've already tried disabling smoothness/VSync/what-have-you in User.ini without avail (and no it's not read-only/reverting upon launch due to steam being annoying as far as I can see), and I also tried the fix mentioned here but it also doesn't do anything - although that could be because, for some reason, using the actual launcher in my Witcher install doesn't work at all.

I downloaded and installed the Tweaker configuration tool in the OP, and pointing it to Witcher.exe in my install folder starts the game fine - as does launching it through steam. But using the actual .exe itself, the launcher appears fine, but hitting 'play game' just makes the wolf head loading thing appear for 3 - 4 seconds then kicks me back to the launcher every time. Anyone know what's causing that would also be nice, by the way. Also, between the game config, the tweaker and now the nvidia configs, I no longer have any real idea what graphics settings the game is using...

So I don't know if the fix above isn't working because it simply doesn't help, or if it's because the nvidia settings for the .exe don't actually get applied when I start through steam/the Tweaker. Either way, the floatiness is making the game practically unplayable, even if it's only in menus. I checked the last 5/first 10 pages and saw nothing, and google is just giving me User-ini stuff for pages upon pages, so I dunno.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick question, I got into a backlog frenzy and I want to finish Witcher 1 before heading into 2; I managed to get to the swamp last time but that was like 2 years ago so I'll be starting over.

I got the FCR mod, but I was looking for an "unlimited carry" mod of sorts, I hated doing inventory management the first time around. Thing is, I can't find anything of the sort. Does something like that exist?

Thanks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Quick question, I got into a backlog frenzy and I want to finish Witcher 1 before heading into 2; I managed to get to the swamp last time but that was like 2 years ago so I'll be starting over.

I got the FCR mod, but I was looking for an "unlimited carry" mod of sorts, I hated doing inventory management the first time around. Thing is, I can't find anything of the sort. Does something like that exist?

Thanks.

Back on the second post there is an "increase Geralt's carrying weight" mod that is just some xml file. You can edit the xml file and set your carrying weight to 9999 which is more than enough for everything in the game.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Back on the second post there is an "increase Geralt's carrying weight" mod that is just some xml file. You can edit the xml file and set your carrying weight to 9999 which is more than enough for everything in the game.

Witcher 1, not 2, dude. Apparently there aren't many mods for W1 for increasing inventory capacity.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ledenko posted:

Witcher 1, not 2, dude. Apparently there aren't many mods for W1 for increasing inventory capacity.

Oh, in that case you want that other mod that lets you carry the inn storage everywhere as a key item.

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14811-tw1mod-stuff-that-make-geralts-life-easier/ There's also a key item that lets geralt meditate anywhere or just turn cat eye on and off.

This won't work if you are using the scabbard mod at the same time. You also will have to log in to the forums to download the mod.

e: There's also this mod that increases the stack size to 999 and everything is stackable: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/259/ though I haven't tried it. I was able to get through the game without much trouble just using that inn storage is a key item mod.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 5, 2014

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah, cheers. I had found the xml file, but discovered it was meant for Witcher 2 when I tried installing it. I'll take a look at the mods you suggested; I'm not using the scabbard one so I should be good to go.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, youtuber MrBTongue (guy who does Plinkett-style criticisms of RPGs) just uploaded a video where he talks about the Witcher 1&2 and how they did things differently from the rest of the genre:

That was great. Interesting take on The Witcher and 'realism' in games. I hate when people are all "oh, you don't think that makes sense in this game about dragons??"

His other videos were interesting as well, like the one about why Morrowind is such a great game, thanks for introducing me to this guy. It's always good to have someone more eloquent and knowledgeable put your feelings into words. :)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Are there Witcher 2 spoilers in the video?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

MrMidnight posted:

Are there Witcher 2 spoilers in the video?

Yes, at least one somewhat serious spoiler.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've finally given up on playing through the Witcher I. I made it about 25 hours in (Act III), put the game down for around a year, and attempted multiple times to pick it back up, and just couldn't do it. I really loved the setting and story telling, but the gameplay was just dull.

I'm ready to move on to the second one, which I hear fixes the gameplay issues I had with the first. The OP seems a bit out of date, so I was wondering what are the "Must-have" mods for this game? I'm not a purist at all, so I'm all for quality of life mods, graphical improvements, etc... Also I thought I remember reading that the developers of the game released an entire brand new combat overhaul/rework relatively recently, like within the past year? Is this true, and is it worth using?

Thanks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megasabin posted:

I've finally given up on playing through the Witcher I. I made it about 25 hours in (Act III), put the game down for around a year, and attempted multiple times to pick it back up, and just couldn't do it. I really loved the setting and story telling, but the gameplay was just dull.

I'm ready to move on to the second one, which I hear fixes the gameplay issues I had with the first. The OP seems a bit out of date, so I was wondering what are the "Must-have" mods for this game? I'm not a purist at all, so I'm all for quality of life mods, graphical improvements, etc... Also I thought I remember reading that the developers of the game released an entire brand new combat overhaul/rework relatively recently, like within the past year? Is this true, and is it worth using?

Thanks

There is an enhanced edition, which you probably have (and if not you should). It's the one with the kickass cinematic on the ship at the beginning.

The big overhaul is called Full Combat Rebalance and is good but not essential; there are a lot of changes that are a matter of taste rather than fixes.

Personally, apart from getting the enhanced edition I'd just play til something irritates you then see if there is a fix for that, it's very good indeed as a vanilla experience.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Megasabin posted:

Thanks

You're so close to the best parts of the game, Act IV and the epilogue!

Anyway, you won't miss much going straight to witcher 2 as the gameplay is a LOT better than witcher 1. Storywise I still like witcher 1 better.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Megasabin posted:

Thanks

It seems out of date because there's nothing to update. I check the Nexus and the forums weekly for new mods, and any sort of modding for the game has completely stalled. There was a mod called Rise of the Sword that showed up in October that sounds interesting, but I have yet to try it. Beyond that, nothing. I intend on making a new thread when we're closer to Witcher 3's release.

Anyway, as for mods, the recommended mods in the second post are still recommended.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 7, 2014

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You know, I remembered this game being hard, but this is ridiculous. I'm at chapter 1 lighting the shrines and I keep getting stunlocked (bleed effect) by the dogs. I'm switching to group style, but sooner or later one gets a bite in, bleed me, and Geralt will just stand there woozy while they bite me to death. In case I actually survive, as soon as I'm back to normal I get bled again.

I'm getting mad at videogames. :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know, I remembered this game being hard, but this is ridiculous. I'm at chapter 1 lighting the shrines and I keep getting stunlocked (bleed effect) by the dogs. I'm switching to group style, but sooner or later one gets a bite in, bleed me, and Geralt will just stand there woozy while they bite me to death. In case I actually survive, as soon as I'm back to normal I get bled again.

I don't remember that being overly hard, but I remember the boss fight at the end being super frustrating. All I could do was run around and try my hardest not to get surrounded.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think it's FCR... according to the manual, they added a "pain animation" when bleed is triggered:

quote:

The critical effect of bleeding triggers an animation of pain (before, there was
none). It prevents players from using that gap in the game mechanics.

The thing is... the animation lasts as long as the bleeding effect. So you're basically stunned and have the negative effects at the same time.

A bit of googling led me to a lot of people complaining about that, looks like you can edit a file to disable the animation triggering; I'll try that, because as it is, it's a pain in the rear end, I've attempted the final 2 shrines 5 or 6 times already and I'm playing on easy

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, I'd disable that, else the boss fight's gonna be a nightmare for you.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Use the force push like spell(called Aard sign in the game), it knocks the dogs down and you can instakill 1-2 of them. Additionally, it sounds like you're being overrun. Shrines spawn dogs under 3 conditions:
1. A few seconds after you approach them
2. When you put the candle in them
3. When you walk past them during an escort quest
What's probably happening is that you are running up to the shrines and immediately activating them before the first set of dogs can spawn, resulting in you getting dogpiled(pun unintended) by two waves spawning around you at the same time or you are on the escort quest as well, resulting in a similar situation.

If you having trouble with getting swarmed by dogs, try:
1. Not doing the escort quest during nighttime. Just wait in a safe place until 6am and you only have to fight the dogs specific to that quest, which is about three fights of two dogs each, which is really easy with your escortee helping you out because a stunned dog is vulnerable to an instant kill from anybody and not just you.
2. Trigger nearby "rabid dogs" before approaching the shrine. Rabid dogs turn into hostile dogs when you get near them and getting into a big brawl around a shrine often results in you unintentionally activating more of them and if you have particularly bad luck, you might even have a ghoul join in and those are trouble at that level
3. Walk around the shrine before lighting them. This way the dogs you face are spread out in two waves with a break between them instead of all at once, greatly improving your chances
4. Trigger shrines when allied npc's are near. Soldiers will help you out, acting as ablative hitpoints and most civilians will run away, usually taking one or two dogs out of the fight as they're being chased.

Edit: or turn off FCR, I have no experience with it so I can't help you there.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Asehujiko posted:

Edit: or turn off FCR, I have no experience with it so I can't help you there.

Yeah, I did and got through them in the first try. I thought FCR was more of a "make combat fun" mod and not "THE REAL WITCHER STARTS HERE" deal. Oh well. :v:

Thanks for the tips though!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I tried to get FCR to work for me, but something must have gone wrong cos Geralt will never do this auto block thing and the skills look messed up too. I don't really have a problem with vanilla anyway, though the extra animations look cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I did and got through them in the first try. I thought FCR was more of a "make combat fun" mod and not "THE REAL WITCHER STARTS HERE" deal. Oh well. :v:

Thanks for the tips though!

FCR is great on paper, but I find it makes the game too drat frustrating. As in, I can't get past the Barghests in the opening of Chapter 1, and have to constantly cycle through that drat cutscene over and over again. And i've beaten the game on hard, twice, no sweat. I love the intent of the mod but...it's not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

FCR is great on paper, but I find it makes the game too drat frustrating. As in, I can't get past the Barghests in the opening of Chapter 1, and have to constantly cycle through that drat cutscene over and over again. And i've beaten the game on hard, twice, no sweat. I love the intent of the mod but...it's not for me.

Deketh meant the second game. But yes, gently caress the Barghests. So much.

• Locked thread