Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

So they are releasing a new Limited edition Horus Heresy book, Macragge's Honour, here's the kicker it's written by Abnett, and is a graphic novel. With the steep price tag of $125, I think I may have more money than brains in this situation. :bang:

White Noise Marine fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I seriously thought you were exaggerating. Nope, GW at its finest.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
ADB short was the advent calendar yesterday

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/advent-day-nineteen-abaddon-chosen-of-chaos.html

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
I'm trying to track down a copy of Battle of the Fang. It's out of print pretty much everywhere I've checked. Any chance that someone here has a copy in good condition that they want to unload and help a goon out?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Enentol posted:

I'm trying to track down a copy of Battle of the Fang. It's out of print pretty much everywhere I've checked. Any chance that someone here has a copy in good condition that they want to unload and help a goon out?

I do, if your interested just shoot me your address and i will mail it to you. Right now it is just taking up room. (I did this for another goon and sent him the lost).

Also i want Macragge's Honour, but i can't bring myself to pay that much for a 100 pages.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 21, 2013

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I thought Blood of Asahiem was great for its depictions of Nurgle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Enentol posted:

Switch to ebooks, enjoy life

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

Switch to ebooks, enjoy life

Yeah pretty much this.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't make good 40K fiction.

Bullshit. A loss of faith and a fall into despair followed by the desperate grasping for something to replace that lost faith is Lorgar's exact character arc. Turn up the grim and despair parts and add Nurgle's rot. Done.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I finished reading my coworkers copy of the imperial truth (which has been through hell it seems like). The only two stories that seemed decent are the Dark Angels story which pushes the whole Dark Angels plot forward (as well as hinting that the dark angels are unsure of where their loyalty lays), as well as the ADB's story (but its from Angron).

The book has some pretty :wtc: moments as well:

Hands of the Emperor by Rob Sanders, is a quasi sequel to blood games. It is basically about those uptight imperial fists won't take no orders from the custodians, leading to a silly slap fight between them. Also apparently custodians, have dreadnoughts and terminator armor. However the most hilarious thing is is where Rob Sanders then goes on to describe that apparently the orbital plate is so massive it creates an orbit. Then during the slap fight, a bunch of custodians and imperial fists end up falling off the orbital plate, and end up orbiting around this massive plate. :psyduck: Which is a hilarious mental image.

The Devine Adortrice, by Graham Mcneil, book about Molech (which is about next HH book coming out). Also Incest. The big plot twist, guy is actually banging his twin sister, and at the same time she also happens to be his brothers wife! :staredog:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Indeed.

Black library needs to get with the program and make it easier for me to buy their stuff from my kindle. I'm sold on ebooks, but its so much effort to go buy them and transfer them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

drgnvale posted:

Black library needs to get with the program and make it easier for me to buy their stuff from my kindle. I'm sold on ebooks, but its so much effort to go buy them and transfer them.

Plugging in your Kindle by USB is too much trouble? That's all I do since I have a cheap Nook.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Is the release of the trade paperback generally when they also release the cheaper version of the e-book? I want to read Unremembered Empire, but I don't want to waste money on the enhanced e-book.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

drgnvale posted:

Indeed.

Which Kindle? If a Paperwhite, I dunno. But if a Fire, look into getting Dropbox and Es FileViewer. Way less of a hassle to transfer files and without having to rely on sideloads.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

krushgroove posted:

Plugging in your Kindle by USB is too much trouble? That's all I do since I have a cheap Nook.

Needing to go to my computer, buy the book, download it and then drag and drop. Yes, this is too much compared to buying a book off amazon with a kindle.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
I really wish The Black Library would make a deal with Amazon to release on the Kindle store. Even if it was 3 months after the release of the mass market paperback (so they can get all those early adopter purchases) it would be fine.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

Needing to go to my computer, buy the book, download it and then drag and drop. Yes, this is too much compared to buying a book off amazon with a kindle.

I do this for all of my e-books because it's easier for me to just browse and buy on the Amazon website. I almost never connect my kindle to wifi, but maybe I'm weird.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I don't want to derail this thread any further, but I started off with the 3g enabled kindled years ago and was spoiled ny being able to buy books as soon as I finished the previous one, even while riding the bus.

I will still buy ebooks from black library, and I won't complain much. Just wish it were as frictionless.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I preordered that stupid comic book because I'm a terrible sperg with no impulse control.

In the past I've put Black Library books on my Christmas gift list and it did not end well. My family is terrified of online shopping, so I just buy everything I want for myself.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
My wife is ordering it for me for christmas. The cost is insane but rare BL books tend to only go up in value (sometimes waaaay up).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

My wife is ordering it for me for christmas. The cost is insane but rare BL books tend to only go up in value (sometimes waaaay up).
Good luck - I hope you see a big return. In my opinion though, I can't see why anyone would spend $125 on a 125 page graphic novel. That pricing is way over the top.

EyeRChris posted:

I really wish The Black Library would make a deal with Amazon to release on the Kindle store. Even if it was 3 months after the release of the mass market paperback (so they can get all those early adopter purchases) it would be fine.
They won't - Amazon wouldn't want to sell at those prices, and GW/BL wants to control their digital outlet and make all the profit without having to share with a middleman. Hell, they raised their bound book prices by 50% just so they could justify charging $8 for an ebook.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 23, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good luck - I hope you see a big return. In my opinion though, I can't see why anyone would spend $125 on a 125 page graphic novel. That pricing is way over the top.

The preview pages did not look well drawn enough for me to even take a chance on speculating this book. Good luck Lincoln's Wax! It will probably end up being a huge resell just because GW nerds.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
We'll see. The bad thing is that I have a really hard time letting go of the stuff once I get it- that whole "you'll never see this again" thing kicks in. I've got both editons of the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer that I paid less than $20/each for new and they're going for really stupid amounts now, it seems. Got a hardcover liber chaotica and a few art books that have gone up as well.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

We'll see. The bad thing is that I have a really hard time letting go of the stuff once I get it- that whole "you'll never see this again" thing kicks in. I've got both editons of the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer that I paid less than $20/each for new and they're going for really stupid amounts now, it seems. Got a hardcover liber chaotica and a few art books that have gone up as well.

Where are they being sold? I have those book as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I've got both editons of the Infantryman's Uplifting Primer that I paid less than $20/each for new and they're going for really stupid amounts now, it seems.

Which is stupid, since they've been collected into one book that's $18. See, the question you need to ask is "Is that what they are selling for, or what people are asking for them?" because they are two completely different things. Also, I'm angry because my Primer got wet and is now all bloated and wrinkly. :argh:

Before you spend the money, also note that BL states: "This edition is strictly limited and only on sale for a short time." Which means that this particular leather bound edition is limited - not that they won't reprint it in paperback 6 months down the road. Which they will. And you will have a $150 leather bound comic book that other people are able to read for $40. This is the same "exclusive" bullshit the comic and sports card industries pulled a decade ago - "Super Limited Foil Chromatic Cover!!! Only $5!!! Collect all 18 variants!!!" (of the exact same 24 page comic you can pay $3.99 for.) Don't fall for the hype, man!

Jerkface posted:

The preview pages did not look well drawn enough for me to even take a chance on speculating this book. Good luck Lincoln's Wax! It will probably end up being a huge resell just because GW nerds.
I thought the same thing, but I didn't say anything figuring it was a personal preference thing. I'm not a big fan of digital comics at all.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
From what I've seen of BL, they don't offer Limited Edition stuff as regular content until at least a year later. Unless it's an 'enhanced' edition, in which case yes, six months

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000

Sandweed posted:

Where are they being sold? I have those book as well.

I really don't know if they're going for those crazy prices, I see them up for bidding on ebay but I never pay attention. A few years ago I met up with a guy who posted a note at a local book store that he was interested in BL fluff/art books, he offered me $80 for both of the primers and I think $120 for one of my art books. We didn't keep in touch- if I ran across him now, I'd probably sell most of it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

UberJumper posted:

I do, if your interested just shoot me your address and i will mail it to you. Right now it is just taking up room. (I did this for another goon and sent him the lost).

I think that I managed to find it locally here. If it falls through, I'll let you know.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am trying to read Promethean Sun and its just awful.

I am worried about Vulkan Lives. :smith:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've been reading some one shot campaign books like Helsreach and Legion of the Damned since there isn't any heresy stuff coming out I'm willing to buy (gently caress $110 for a comic book), and one thing I've noticed in Legion is that the author takes time to write a whole speech given by a Space Marine about how the Emperor was more than a man, never a god, but was Father to all mankind and doing his best and mortals make him god because they need more to hold onto and they cant accept the universe is endless war and blood.

Like three pages later, and throughout the rest of the novel though, the Astartes refers to the Emperor as God-Emperor. :catholic:

Good book though, Helsreach I think was better but also written by ADB.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

UberJumper posted:

I am trying to read Promethean Sun and its just awful.

I am worried about Vulkan Lives. :smith:

Don't. Vulkan Lives isn't a bad book.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's 1 AM here and I had just finished reading The Guns of Tanith. I'm going to blaze through the next two books before the end of the year, am I?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Schneider Heim posted:

It's 1 AM here and I had just finished reading The Guns of Tanith. I'm going to blaze through the next two books before the end of the year, am I?

And the rest before the Superbowl.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone here that plays the game, that has picked up the new Cypher rules short? I'm just looking for a summary of the fluff in the rules, anything interesting?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I skipped vulcan lives just because i can't take more nick kyme.

A question tho about Unremembered Empire:

Guilliman points out the dark angels are marching around with a bunch of weapons they apparently are not supposed to have? Does that mean destroyers?

Dark Angels marching in a 6 pointed star formation :tinfoil:

But why does the colour of El'Jonson's hair keep changing? In other books its black, now in Unremembered empire it is blonde?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fried Chicken posted:

Cool. Its a take on the story of Arthur if that informs your opinion.

From a few pages back. I've finished two of the three books in the Warlord Chronicles, and I'm loving it so far. I can definitely see how ADB would use this as a basis for his Warmaster series. A lot of the themes are very grimdark 40k-ish, particularly the fading knowledge and skill of the Romans and the dwelling on "If only X had done this, things might be different."

Gonna dive right into the last book. If anyone is having withdrawals from the lack of recent 40k books, read the Warlord Chronicles.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The Rat posted:

From a few pages back. I've finished two of the three books in the Warlord Chronicles, and I'm loving it so far. I can definitely see how ADB would use this as a basis for his Warmaster series. A lot of the themes are very grimdark 40k-ish, particularly the fading knowledge and skill of the Romans and the dwelling on "If only X had done this, things might be different."

Gonna dive right into the last book. If anyone is having withdrawals from the lack of recent 40k books, read the Warlord Chronicles.

I second that. Finishing the third book and they are pretty good, it has constant decay and religious zealotry similar to what you can find in the 41st millenium.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I'm listening to the Know No Fear audiobook and it sounds like a documentary. I... Kinda like it. :allears:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Saith posted:

I'm listening to the Know No Fear audiobook and it sounds like a documentary. I... Kinda like it. :allears:

Abnett really hit the nail on the head with that writing style. It was loving amazing how consistent he was with it, and the feel it lends to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerrMorden
Sep 5, 2004

Thought begets Heresy, Heresy begets Retribution.

Saith posted:

I picked up "Prospero Burns" from the local used book place and the entire book is all about some barbarian dudes on Fenris, a space accountant or something and I thought we would be burning Shakespeare up in this novel.

I am done with talking about "threads", "makes", and "gothis". Just shoot somebody bros.

Is "Thousand Sons" better?