Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think it's a nice touch that the sleazy bail bondsman will always pay up fair and square, but only if you remember to pester him about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The hotel is as far as the last thread got with this game, or maybe the mission after? Either way, I'm pulling towards that so you can just get it out of the way and get on with the rest of the game as I remember people saying the hotel was kind of a slog at times.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
I honestly can't understand people who say the hotel is a slog even if they've already played it before. Granted, the first time experience is definitely the best. But even on my most recent (and 6th) playthrough; I still turned off all the lights, put on my headphones, and just enjoyed the hell out of the atmosphere and music. The story line of the events that transpired at the hotel just adds to the great atmosphere. Just fantastic level design in my opinion.

Also, loving the LP so far. Thanks Gatz!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That hotel is the breaking point of these LPs. So many have started only to end there.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Maybe it's just because I read The Shining recently, but I say head to the Overlook Hotel.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That hotel is the breaking point of these LPs. So many have started only to end there.

Yeah, I remember one broke right after the hotel, as in, that was the last update. Another broke before the hotel update could go up, and another one got through the hotel, turned in the quest and I think did some side stuff before it ended.

Hotel's haunted.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Hotel is probably my favorite part of the game.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Not even Amnesia scared me as badly as my first time through the hotel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lazyfire posted:

The hotel is as far as the last thread got with this game, or maybe the mission after? Either way, I'm pulling towards that so you can just get it out of the way and get on with the rest of the game as I remember people saying the hotel was kind of a slog at times.

The hotel does maybe drag on just a little bit too long, but it is one of the best bits of the game, and is actually genuinely frightening in places. It's one of my favourite bits of any video game.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Tiggum posted:

The hotel does maybe drag on just a little bit too long, but it is one of the best bits of the game, and is actually genuinely frightening in places. It's one of my favourite bits of any video game.

Its really not that long if you just run through it, hell there is even a way to skip 60% of it straight up, if you have played it before. The first time feels like forever, because most people go so slowly through the thing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So what's the deal with Mummies in the oWoD?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Siegkrow posted:

So what's the deal with Mummies in the oWoD?

Mummies in oWoD are one of the very few unambiguously good supernatural things, they fight for Ma'at (which means balance). It's been a while since I pulled out Mummy: The Resurrection but I want to say they're ancient spirit fragments that give the newly dead a second chance at life?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Feinne posted:

Mummies in oWoD are one of the very few unambiguously good supernatural things, they fight for Ma'at (which means balance). It's been a while since I pulled out Mummy: The Resurrection but I want to say they're ancient spirit fragments that give the newly dead a second chance at life?

Also, short of killing them with fire, mummies are harder to kill than vampires and werewolves put together.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

There is regular cheating for fun, and there is maxing your Ventrue stats and then adding celerity for the hell of it. :stare:

I predict a lot of fun if talking doesn't work...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, short of killing them with fire, mummies are harder to kill than vampires and werewolves put together.

Yeah, to add to this basically mummies are nearly impossible to put down for good. It takes a while for the mummy to return to life (though this can be as short as a fuckin' day if you have a high enough Ba background) but you can be straight up pounded into goo and still come back.

Their high-level poo poo can also be super scary. For example, they can have amulets and potions that raise stats (by up to three points). But, unlike normal supernatural stats, they get more focused effects. So, you might for example get to punch things for aggravated damage if you boost your Strength to 8, or get three extra actions per round if you boost your Dexterity to 8.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Feinne posted:

Basically this. All mummies are incredibly ancient and several talk about Caine like he is a buddy of theirs and how Moses (an ancient and powerful Mage who is still around) likes to chill at their pad. Mummies make Demons pause.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Re: Knox's assignment

So, to get wise on what the hell is going on (that Bertram is trying to manipulate you through him), you need stats? Didn't notice if Gatz outsmarted Knox here in the lp.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Re: Knox's assignment

So, to get wise on what the hell is going on (that Bertram is trying to manipulate you through him), you need stats? Didn't notice if Gatz outsmarted Knox here in the lp.

That optional dialogue is only triggered in the first meeting with him, I believe--so its pretty unlikely you'd have the prereq stats to see through his dumbass veneer. Usual disclaimer of "Not sure if Wesp changed this" applies, of course.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I don't know if it's something that Wesp messed with but it's triggered in the second meeting in Asylum, when he actually tells you about his mission. If your Inspection is greater than 2 (possible if you raise Perception) you'll get another dialog option to suggest that his story doesn't add up, and you'll need to use one of the dialog feats or Dominate/Dementate to get him to admit the truth. Malkavians will automatically see through his ruse.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So! Does the oWoD have Cthulhu-ish "things that shouldn't be".
Y'know, lovecraftian creatures beyond time and space.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Siegkrow posted:

That'd be the Wyrm. It kind of is a malevolent aspect of reality that represents entropy and hates everything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Wyrm can't be Cthulhu because the Wyrm explicitly SHOULD be it's just overperforming its natural role.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Siegkrow posted:

Changelings are probably the closest thing to 'things that shouldn't be', but that's more so in nWoD.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

Changelings are probably the closest thing to 'things that shouldn't be', but that's more so in nWoD.

nWoD runs rampant with 'things that shouldn't be', honestly. True Fae and the Abyss are the root cause of most of it, but the deeper realms that the Sin-Eaters can face and anything out of the spirit world can veer in that direction. Possibly the qashmallim, depending on how you play it. The Rmoahals and their stuff, again depending on how the DM chooses to portray them, though they're more along the lines of the mysterious elder civilizations that Lovecraft wrote about than stuff like Cthulu.

I'd guess that the Mages probably have something like this, though. In oWoD, Lovecraftian stuff seems to be their particular gig when they're not doing Idealism vs. Rationalism.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Yes, there are. A lot of really dangerous beings, including the ones that can travel through time, live in Deep Umbra. There is a subgroup of Nephandi that worships them.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Basically this. All mummies are incredibly ancient and several talk about Caine like he is a buddy of theirs and how Moses (an ancient and powerful Mage who is still around) likes to chill at their pad. Mummies make Demons pause.

So what's the deal with Moses being a Mage. Is there anything to it besides that?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vander posted:

So what's the deal with Moses being a Mage. Is there anything to it besides that?

Scattered throughout the lines and the books are lists of historical figures who were secretly one type of supernatural or another. It usually isn't further explained than having their name associated with werewolves or vampires or mages.

Except Hitler. Hitler was human. Not even the craziest supernatural line wants to be Godwined.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Vander posted:

Well even in the biblical canon Moses had this bitchin' magical staff that he used to, amongst other things, part the Red Sea. It's just a small hop, skip and a jump from that to "Moses didn't die before reaching the Promised Land, he just wandered off to master his magic".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Scattered throughout the lines and the books are lists of historical figures who were secretly one type of supernatural or another. It usually isn't further explained than having their name associated with werewolves or vampires or mages.

Except Hitler. Hitler was human. Not even the craziest supernatural line wants to be Godwined.

Ooh, does Stalin get one? Now I want to know what kind of creatures various historical characters are assigned to.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

Lots. Several are already mentioned, but one I always think of are the Neverborn. Creatures that dwell within the deepest recesses of the Underworld and are basically pieces of pure annihilation that have become entangled in existence and gained a will of their own. They exist in a state much like sleep and their dreams warp reality to try and bring the world closer to destruction so that they can return to their source. Spectres (ghosts which have embraced the destructive side of their nature and seek to unmake the world) worship them as gods. The most powerful spectres being known as the Onceborn, who resemble the Neverborn save that they were once human and generally occupy lower positions on the gribbly hierarchy of nasty shadowy things.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ooh, does Stalin get one? Now I want to know what kind of creatures various historical characters are assigned to.

Not to my knowledge. From what I remember Rasputin gets tug-o-warred between different supernaturals depending on which book you're reading.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 27, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From what I recall, the only significant event in human history no supernatural line claims involvement with in oWoD is World War Two. There's a Wraith book about it and the Holocaust in particular, and it's actually pretty sensitive and well-written. Wraith is about the afterlife, so it's mainly about the consequences of that stuff. Supernaturals of one stripe or other claim they were pretty much every major historical figure and responsible for every major historical event... except World War Two and the people notable to it. Nope, they swear up and down that that one was completely and exclusively on humanity's shoulders.

It's a little murkier in nWoD. One Hunter group, the Loyalists of Thule, were heavily tied up in the Nazi occult stuff but were exiled by Hitler himself once they realized just what they had gotten themselves into and wanted to back out. Can't speak for the other game lines.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Finally caught up with this thread. So good, I love this game and it got me into nWoD enough to get my RPG group to play Hunter a few times. I love Masquerade though for how 90s it is.

That said, this game is great, I've done 2 or 3 whole run throughs and find new things I missed each time.

If I may beat a undead horse a bit more, about the protagonist's sire (endgame spoilers!): Maybe Caine commanded him to do it, sensing that the protagonist was a integral game-changer in his plans for LA, whatever they are? I know it's a stretch but for some reason that's the vibe I got last time I played. Caine is kinda watching over you, even driving you from burrough to burrough. Speculation on my part. Could explain why the protag's blood pool/power level/whatever is so high considering I think the amount of game time is a matter of 2 weeks beginning to end.

Loving the LP so far, hope you can finish, this game seemed A LOT longer my second playthrough because of all the sidequests I did. I think it's a drat shame it never got a sequel, think of how fun it would look on a modern engine. Vampires are still pretty big, I know WoD is getting the MMO treatment sometime in the next two years (at least that's the plan) but who knows how that's gonna turn out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

crime fighting hog posted:

Vampires are still pretty big, I know WoD is getting the MMO treatment sometime in the next two years (at least that's the plan) but who knows how that's gonna turn out.

Was the plan. CCP Games just gutted the Atlanta office right before Christmas. Atlanta being the offices of White Wolf and the heart of WoD online development, that's not a good sign. Someone noted that the WW buyout included a contractual obligation to develop a WoD mmo...but there's no release date. So as long as they can claim it's "in development" they can sit on it in perpetuity. Their ill-advised/failed FPS Dust has sucked up all the non-eve devs and creative oxygen.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Since this thread is *temporarily* the main one regarding the game...

I have arrived at Pisha in my save, but something weird happened: I realized there was an option to *not* buddy up with that goddamned flesh-eating monstruosity and I promptly managed to kill her. Besides not getting her artifacts, do I miss on anything else?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

Since this thread is *temporarily* the main one regarding the game...

I have arrived at Pisha in my save, but something weird happened: I realized there was an option to *not* buddy up with that goddamned flesh-eating monstruosity and I promptly managed to kill her. Besides not getting her artifacts, do I miss on anything else?

this thread is not an NSA document Some xp, and some lore dialogue. That's the extent of it, I believe.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

From what I recall, the only significant event in human history no supernatural line claims involvement with in oWoD is World War Two. There's a Wraith book about it and the Holocaust in particular, and it's actually pretty sensitive and well-written. Wraith is about the afterlife, so it's mainly about the consequences of that stuff. Supernaturals of one stripe or other claim they were pretty much every major historical figure and responsible for every major historical event... except World War Two and the people notable to it. Nope, they swear up and down that that one was completely and exclusively on humanity's shoulders.

Not exactly - while no supernatural seems to have caused WWII, mages' involvement is well-described. The Technocracy initially supported the Axis (which enraged the Virtual Adepts) and switched sides only when the worst atrocities became public knowledge and they learned about Hitler's fascination with the occult. There were also a lot of Sons of Ether on both sides. Nephandi also thrived, to the point that Traditions and the Technocracy agreed to a temporary ceasefire and fought them together.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

How about Baba loving Yaga! A 4th generation Nosferatu blood sorceress, Baba Yaga created a supernatural Iron Curtain with her magic. For a very long time, Russia was cut off from the rest of the world mystically, until the old hag's death. She didn't want any outside interference in her territory.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

double nine posted:

this thread is not an NSA document

I don't want to spoil anything for those who never played, since every story bit of this game is pretty drat interesting :v:

(gameplay slogs on the other hand...)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Vicissitude posted:

How about Baba loving Yaga! A 4th generation Nosferatu blood sorceress, Baba Yaga created a supernatural Iron Curtain with her magic. For a very long time, Russia was cut off from the rest of the world mystically, until the old hag's death. She didn't want any outside interference in her territory.

Only a decade. 1990 on. The Russian Revolution was the Brujah, donchaknow.

And does vampire Himmler not count as :godwin:, or...?

Ooh, does Stalin get one?

One reason for the purges was to eliminate the Russian (etc) werewolves. Stalin was "backed" by various vampires.

This is all very silly, more than usual, and they moved away from it in time.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

And does vampire Himmler not count as :godwin:, or...?

As I understand it, they only made that mistake in the first edition and never mentioned it again after that.

• Locked thread