Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I know they're trying their best to not do "TV versions" of their characters, but for example, can you really picture the Grundy we saw going toe to toe against MoS' Superman like he does in the comics? They're two vastly different things.

The other problem is how much more limited they would be compared to how they've been doing up to now. Just look at Agents of Shield, they have no idea what to do without being able to show Thor/Cap/Iron Man aside from some vague references here and there. I don't want that for Arrow. I want them to keep doing what they're doing and to steal as many rogues from other heroes as they legally can.

With all of that said, I definitely would be more than okay with our Slade saving us from Batfleck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Powerlevels are inherently stupid, so the best approach is really to completely ignore them. Grundy as a heavy hitter is pretty much an invention of the DCAU and ever since then he drifted between an street level and super powered, depending on writer and story.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Since when is Grundy anywhere near close to Superman? I mean, I know he's immortal, but strength-wise?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

It's definitely not the standard approach, but I'd be ok with this if they were to otherwise do it 'seriously'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BreakAtmo posted:

Since when is Grundy anywhere near close to Superman? I mean, I know he's immortal, but strength-wise?

Only on Justice League Unlimited. And only then because he's magically powered. In the comics he's never been a power house on that level.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

e X posted:

Powerlevels are inherently stupid, so the best approach is really to completely ignore them. Grundy as a heavy hitter is pretty much an invention of the DCAU and ever since then he drifted between an street level and super powered, depending on writer and story.

Honestly, I thought the modified serum would've been better as an origin for Blockbuster rather than Grundy. (In fact, that's what I thought they were going for until Dig ran across the poem.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Krad posted:

I know they're trying their best to not do "TV versions" of their characters, but for example, can you really picture the Grundy we saw going toe to toe against MoS' Superman like he does in the comics? They're two vastly different things.

Superman is like the king daddy of superheroes, so I don't see a problem with him being able to manhandle anything that Arrow would have problems with in the cinematic universe.

quote:

The other problem is how much more limited they would be compared to how they've been doing up to now. Just look at Agents of Shield, they have no idea what to do without being able to show Thor/Cap/Iron Man aside from some vague references here and there. I don't want that for Arrow. I want them to keep doing what they're doing and to steal as many rogues from other heroes as they legally can.

Agents of Shield's approach to a TV series tie-in is all wrong. And that's honestly not even the biggest problem with the show in my opinion; it looks cheap, feels cheap, the characters/plotlines are uninteresting, and the writing sucks. Those are the bigger negatives to me. Also, it's not as if Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill would have to show up in on the TV show at any point to justify the connection. Sam Jackson showing up on AoS had no effect on me, nor did it make any difference to the quality of the show. poo poo, I'd argue even if RDJ, Evans, or Hemsworth showed up for an episode, it wouldn't make the show any better either. It's the writing ultimately dictates just how well the series could tie-in with the cinematic universe, and I really think the Arrow writers/showrunners are capable of making it work.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 26, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Only on Justice League Unlimited. And only then because he's magically powered. In the comics he's never been a power house on that level.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, magic is supposed to be something Superman's weak to, correct? Or at least he's just no more resilient to it than the average person?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BreakAtmo posted:

Ahh, I see. Yeah, magic is supposed to be something Superman's weak to, correct? Or at least he's just no more resilient to it than the average person?

Unless a lovely writer is involved then Superman is just as vulnerable to magic as the average dude. But that doesn't mean he curls up when someone does a card trick. I forget who wrote it but at one point a thug had a magic baseball bat and it was supposed to be able to kill Superman. Which is idiotic, a normal baseball bat would shatter on him, why would a magic one be any different?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BreakAtmo posted:

Its supposed to be the second, but a lot of people and writers treat it as the first. A magic sword that can cut everything would cut Superman, but a shard of a magic mirror shouldn't hurt him just because it's a magic mirror.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Unless a lovely writer is involved then Superman is just as vulnerable to magic as the average dude. But that doesn't mean he curls up when someone does a card trick. I forget who wrote it but at one point a thug had a magic baseball bat and it was supposed to be able to kill Superman. Which is idiotic, a normal baseball bat would shatter on him, why would a magic one be any different?

That bat could destroy Alan Scott :colbert: Alan Scott was also the guy that Grundy fought.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

teagone posted:

Agents of Shield's approach to a TV series tie-in is all wrong. And that's honestly not even the biggest problem with the show in my opinion; it looks cheap, feels cheap, the characters/plotlines are uninteresting, and the writing sucks. Those are the bigger negatives to me. Also, it's not as if Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill would have to show up in on the TV show at any point to justify the connection. Sam Jackson showing up on AoS had no effect on me, nor did it make any difference to the quality of the show. poo poo, I'd argue even if RDJ, Evans, or Hemsworth showed up for an episode, it wouldn't make the show any better either. It's the writing ultimately dictates just how well the series could tie-in with the cinematic universe, and I really think the Arrow writers/showrunners are capable of making it work.

Nah, it's not that people would want to see some of the big players on the show. What I mean is: imagine a world where Arrow was allowed to exist alongisde Batmam Begins. Arrow would've never had the chance to use the League of Assassins plotline as much as they did this season, at least for a while/until Begins got released. Where they're right now, it seems like they can use almost any property they want. I remember that at first Arrow wasn't allowed to mention a lot of stuff that could connect to Batman. Look at it now; they almost want them to use everything they can think of, and the show is way better off like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

That bat could destroy Alan Scott :colbert: Alan Scott was also the guy that Grundy fought.

If Alan took off the ring he could probably deal with some jerk swinging a bat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Krad posted:

What I mean is: imagine a world where Arrow was allowed to exist alongisde Batmam Begins. Arrow would've never had the chance to use the League of Assassins plotline as much as they did this season, at least for a while/until Begins got released. Where they're right now, it seems like they can use almost any property they want. I remember that at first Arrow wasn't allowed to mention a lot of stuff that could connect to Batman. Look at it now; they almost want them to use everything they can think of, and the show is way better off like that.

I don't see how being part of the Man of Steel's universe would affect Arrow in the way you're describing. Like, what reason would becoming part of the DCCU prevent or debilitate them from using other properties? If anything, I'd figure it'd allow them to use even more.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

teagone posted:

I don't see how being part of the Man of Steel's universe would affect Arrow in the way you're describing. Like, for what reason would becoming part of the DCCU prevent them from using other properties? If anything, I'd figure it'd allow them to use even more.

There'd be a bunch of characters for any future DC movies that they probably won't be allowed to use on the show aside from a passing reference.

edit: knowing movie studios, it's not crazy to think that they'd save any potentially major stuff for their movies.

Krad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 26, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Krad posted:

There'd be a bunch of characters for any future DC movies that they probably won't be allowed to use on the show aside from a passing reference.

edit: knowing movie studios, it's not crazy to think that they'd save any potentially major stuff for their movies.

That's a valid point, however, I never expected to see Flash on Arrow so I'll say that all the bets are off now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Krad posted:

They're going to have to reveal Ra's at some point in Arrow, though. Do you think they'd get Liam Neeson to reprise the role?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Krad posted:

That argument kind of circles back to having Batman, Superman or any characters from either of those franchises show up on Arrow, which is an issue that can be dealt with good writing. Implementing Flash's origin into Arrow's current arc is a good example of that. There'd honestly be a lot more pressure, plot wise, to get Amell or Gustin to show up in a Justice League movie alongside Cavill/Affleck/Gadot in a way that makes sense and is organic to the story on both the Arrow and Flash TV shows.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

teagone posted:

That argument kind of circles back to having Batman, Superman or any characters from either of those franchises show up on Arrow, which is an issue that can be dealt with good writing. Implementing Flash's origin into Arrow's current arc is a good example of that. There'd honestly be a lot more pressure, plot wise, to get Amell or Gustin to show up in a Justice League movie alongside Cavill/Affleck/Gadot in a way that makes sense and is organic to the story on both the Arrow and Flash TV shows.

If so, Barry's mission to prove that paranormal/superhuman things happen should be really easy since the attack on Metropolis was broadcast on CNN.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

They're going to have to reveal Ra's at some point in Arrow, though. Do you think they'd get Liam Neeson to reprise the role?

They would NEVER need to have Ra's on the show and I don't know why you'd think that aside from wishful fanboy comic-wankerey.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jscolon2.0 posted:

If so, Barry's mission to prove that paranormal/superhuman things happen should be really easy since the attack on Metropolis was broadcast on CNN.

I could easily see a potential Flash season finale where it's a crossover episode with Arrow that ends with Ollie and Barry getting Zod's 'You Are Not Alone' message on their TVs/computers and then open up an Arrow episode with them watching breaking news of Zod and Clark's fight in Metropolis.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Not a chance. Besides the fact that Liam Neeson doing TV is unlikely, the show is in a different continuity to the Dark Knight Saga and they would actively want to avoid making it seem otherwise. It would be like casting Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

Not a chance. Besides the fact that Liam Neeson doing TV is unlikely, the show is in a different continuity to the Dark Knight Saga and they would actively want to avoid making it seem otherwise. It would be like casting Willem Dafoe as Norman Osborn in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

While I agree the chance of Liam Neeson showing up on a DC comic book related TV show is pretty much zero, having a character cross over into a different continuity of the same franchise/property has been done before (Judi Dench as M for both the Brosnan/Craig bond films) and it seemed to work ok. Little different for comic book movies though, I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah. That was a brainfart. I kept thinking the DK saga was in the same universe as Man of Steel instead of the Ben Affleck one.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

teagone posted:

While I agree the chance of Liam Neeson showing up on a DC comic book related TV show is pretty much zero, having a character cross over into a different continuity of the same franchise/property has been done before (Judi Dench as M for both the Brosnan/Craig bond films) and it seemed to work ok. Little different for comic book movies though, I guess.

Continuity has always been WAY more loose with Bond, though. The comic movie continuities are supposed to be properly defined, otherwise it ends up confusing as hell for laymen. A lot of them probably have trouble with the concept of Christian Bale's Batman being a completely separate character in a different universe from Ben Affleck's Batman - imagine if they had gotten Christian Bale to play the entirely new Batman in MoS2.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For big cartoon nerds like myself this is a known thing, but for people who may not know about it, this is something WB has enforced in the past

http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Bat-embargo

And could very well happen again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Neeson did an episode of the Clone Wars cartoon, so it's not like TV is beneath him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The producers said that you will pretty much never see Batman or Superman on this show already. And the reason for that is, in their words, that you can't bring in someone to the show that will completely overshadow Oliver like Batman or Superman would.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deadpool posted:

The producers said that you will pretty much never see Batman or Superman on this show already. And the reason for that is, in their words, that you can't bring in someone to the show that will completely overshadow Oliver like Batman or Superman would.

You know what that means, right? Seven Soldiers. :getin:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Oh man, I hope Ryan Reynolds shows up, and Amell and him have an ab-off across American in a motorcycle

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man, I hope Ryan Reynolds shows up, and Amell and him have an ab-off across American in a motorcycle

That would be fantastic :allears:

The Arrow FB page put up a brief video of Emily Bett Rickard answering some fan questions

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=336504733154232&set=vb.104137579724283&type=2&theater

She's adorable :3:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Reynolds could use the career boost

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Deadpool posted:

Batman? Pff, why have him on the show when you can have someone like Harley instead? They were awesome together in the Injustice comic. :)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Krad posted:

Batman? Pff, why have him on the show when you can have someone like Harley instead? They were awesome together in the Injustice comic. :)

No way that could fail.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I have no idea who that is. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Krad posted:

I have no idea who that is. :colbert:

Someone was spared Birds of Prey.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also it's Mia Sara, aka Ferris Bueller's girlfriend.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deadpool posted:

This is basically why I hope the Arrow and MoS universes are never linked. Because just having the events of MoS existing in the same universe would totally overshadow anything they could do on Arrow.

I posted something similar a ways back, but if the big Metropolis fight happened then why would anyone have any skepticism about a guy who could beat down a steel door?

bobkatt013 posted:

Someone was spared Birds of Prey.

The show was pretty bad but I thought they did a pretty good job of making Harley work in a live-action show. Mia Sara did a pretty good job with what she had to work with.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 26, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I posted something similar a ways back, but if the big Metropolis fight happened then why would anyone have any skepticism about a guy who could beat down a steel door?

It would suck for the MoS and Arrow universes to be linked, and I'm pretty sure the writers know that, but I am afraid someone might make them do it anyway.

:mrapig: I don't care how you do it, just make it work!
:smith: But it makes no sense and would be to the detriment of both universes.
:mrapig: Nuh-uh, because Avengers.
:smith: But--
:mrapig: AVENGERS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
I hope they keep both universes separate if only so my secret wish of the Flash show doing a take on the Flash of two worlds with movie Flash and TV Flash will come true.

• Locked thread