Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

AgentHaiTo posted:

My son got purple kyoruger's mech for Christmas. Maybe for his birthday, he'll get the last two mechs.

I have to say though that Plezuon kicks rear end. It's huge when it combines with Gabutyra.

Owns owns owns

Sudden urge to spend hundreds of dollars, especially since I haven't seen any of the train stuff that excites me (and I love trains).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

HKR posted:

Owns owns owns

Sudden urge to spend hundreds of dollars, especially since I haven't seen any of the train stuff that excites me (and I love trains).

The good thing is he has a grandmother in Japan who mails these to us in the US every few months, sort of a Kyoruger care package.

I'm actually thinking of skipping showing Train Rangers to my son though, and not just for space and cost concerns when it comes to the toys. I don't like the look of the train robots or the uniforms, where with the Kyoru stuff, I liked all the stuff that came out and watch the show with him.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

AgentHaiTo posted:

My son got purple kyoruger's mech for Christmas. Maybe for his birthday, he'll get the last two mechs.

I have to say though that Plezuon kicks rear end. It's huge when it combines with Gabutyra.

ZU

ZU

ZU

PLEZUOOOOOH

It's bigger than I thought it would be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure if toy Gabutyra is huge, or if its the other ones that are tiny, but the scale just looks all wrong. They're still cool as hell and make me sad I'm so broke though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

jivjov posted:

I'm not sure if toy Gabutyra is huge, or if its the other ones that are tiny, but the scale just looks all wrong. They're still cool as hell and make me sad I'm so broke though.

Yeah, toy Gabutyra is bigger than the rest of the main Kyoru, as those are just his different arms. Pteradon is about the same size, but Plezuo is bigger than all of them. My wife is saying no more robots, but we are actually going to Japan in March, and I may pick up Spiny Daioh and Bragioh if we have the luggage space. I mean, we got most of them already, why not get the rest, right?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, no Kyoryu this weekend? So it's ending with 48 episodes?
That's lame.

Edit: Or, more likely, I shouldn't even trust Jefusion to have accurate airdate info.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 26, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There is no Kyoryu this weekend, but it's ending with 49.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It was posted on a Kamen Rider facebook group so I don't have a link to give you guys, but has anyone else seen the footage of the Genesis Driver?

I didn't know how well a fruit juicer driver would work, in concept or execution, but like everything else Gaim, it blew away my expectations. The thing is drat cool, and I can't wait to see it in action! (I haven't seen the newest episode, if it actually already has been.)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It was posted on a Kamen Rider facebook group so I don't have a link to give you guys, but has anyone else seen the footage of the Genesis Driver?

Post a link to the group, dummy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let me post the video instead (or a video, anyways, not too sure if it's the same Cipher Pol 9 was talking about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crMNwBVdP8

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
HO-HO-HO! A day late but a Christmas Present none the less!

My fellow Goons, I present to you a magical gift!

Three morons riffing Alpha's Magical Christmas!

http://www.wadejobkar.com/bonus-03-alphas-magical-christmas/

Be forwarned-this is all improve. We had like, a minute's notice and planning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I started drinking at the beginning of that episode and did not stop until well after we were done. If profanity offends you for some reason, do not download.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sorry, didn't think to post the group, but Blaze Dragon came through with a much better video than the one I saw so no point tracking it down now. I like the new voice and the juice-filling gimmick a lot, personally.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
So I finally watched Hurricaneger 10 years after. I was floored when I realized the kid was the same kid from Go-Busters. I liked when they went all :catdrugs: against the mooks.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

So I finally watched Hurricaneger 10 years after. I was floored when I realized the kid was the same kid from Go-Busters. I liked when they went all :catdrugs: against the mooks.

Hurricanger 10 years later is great and doesn't require much knowledge of Hurricanger to enjoy. You'll miss some of the character interactions and some of the plot points, but it's great fun that can be had by someone completely alien to Hurricanger.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Been watching some Dairanger because why not. Episode for has a puppet with a gun, so that makes this a good series.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
anyone post this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKVa1eQF3PI

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
many apologies for the double posting but i just had to post one of the worst reviews I've seen in a while

https://www.kamensentai.blogspot.com/2013/10/kamen-rider-wizard-series-review.html

when will fanboys get it in their loving heads the difference between actual criticism and a summary?...

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Race Realists posted:

many apologies for the double posting but i just had to post one of the worst reviews I've seen in a while

https://www.kamensentai.blogspot.com/2013/10/kamen-rider-wizard-series-review.html

when will fanboys get it in their loving heads the difference between actual criticism and a summary?...

When will people realize when someone puts red text on a red background anything they write can be safely ignored?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its like we took a time machine back to the internet of 2002.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

http://i.4cdn.org/m/src/1388876617892.jpg

Tokkyuger's mooks. Oh my god.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

These may be the greatest Mooks in the history of Mooks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://i.imgur.com/6vAL3WO.jpg

Yellow's rocking the Luka look.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Choo Choo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXy6OIEup9k

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It sounds like the morphers actually have a bing bong.

I seriously hope they do, that would be fantastic.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

This looks fabulous.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TQG looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Looks like this series will be goofy as hell. And the costumes do look better in motion though I don't think they looked all that bad to begin with.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I did like the "gate lowering" bell for the robot, I expect it's part of the final strike.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They even use tommy guns! :allears:

Akibaranger has finally been beaten. I'm in love.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Those mooks are amazing. They remind me of these mooks.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I am in love. Now that toy scans are a bit better too I'm fairly sure I'm going to be getting the robots as they come out this time.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Since we all know that that link is gonna die pretty quick, I uploaded it elsewhere.

Here.

Also, It might be worth watching just for the "Why didn't they attack somewhere without rails? Why didn't they put the target on the rails so the heroes coming to save the day do the dirty work?"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

So did they just give up on not-goofy sentai after GoBusters?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

To keep up the modality of toku with increasing visual quality of television, it either needs to have a budget that honestly Toei/Bandai doesn't seem to enjoy dishing out or lean really hard into being eccentric and outlandish. A lot of toku actually does rely on imagination to make it fun and interesting, so you have to create a world and characters that can support being that expressive and bombastic. The easiest way to do this is to tell exciting, childlike stories.

Also GoBusters just didn't do very well. A lot of kids found the story depressing as hell, and the characters weren't terribly interesting, and the juxtaposition between the tone of the story, and the characters in it didn't make a whole lot of sense. It was incredibly stylish, but undone by its own content.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...Go-Busters wasn't silly?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Go-Busters was silly at times but it was a lot more serious in the episodes before Messiah was destroyed, the ratings were really bad and so the show was apparently retooled to be slightly more wacky and it was given a new theme song.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While it had its silly parts (the Weakpoints apart from Ryuji's and the Buddyroids, mostly), Go-Busters was rather dark for Sentai, dealing with people getting in actual dangerous situations that aren't ignored or put lighter than they are, the Go-Busters themselves were clearly emotionally scarred people, Kuroki at first is shown as a rather harsher leader than the usual for Sentai (though it lasts about one episode, sadly), Enter is a far more threatening and competent enemy than the usual ones seen in Sentai, and there's the whole sacrifice theme going around, from the fact that we're led to believe the Go-Busters parents are dead, Kuroki outright says that the Go-Busters themselves can be sacrificed for the city's own safety, Hiromu KILLING their parents, and of course, Jin's heroic sacrifice.

Saying Go-Busters was a light and fun series just because of the stupid gimmicks only shows you didn't watch it at all, honestly.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Rei_ posted:

Also GoBusters just didn't do very well. A lot of kids found the story depressing as hell, and the characters weren't terribly interesting, and the juxtaposition between the tone of the story, and the characters in it didn't make a whole lot of sense. It was incredibly stylish, but undone by its own content.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Go-Busters was silly at times but it was a lot more serious in the episodes before Messiah was destroyed, the ratings were really bad and so the show was apparently retooled to be slightly more wacky and it was given a new theme song.

Keep in mind that while the ratings of Kyoryuger started higher, they've since dropped even lower. Kyoryuger is the opposite of dark, and yet it's still on track to be the lowest rated season ever. It's tremendously difficult to argue that Go-Busters' failure was related to its content anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That's not quite what I was trying to get at. I was saying it was trying to be a show that modern sentai just CAN'T TELL because of its modern demographic and consistent design philosophy.

You can't tell have a serious show, and also a recurring plot point that your Red freezes if he looks at a chicken. While the show was incredibly intelligent at times, you have to understand the role the Producer plays in the Toei/Bandai production cycle of ensuring that these shows are THEMATICALLY consistent between seasons. GoBusters felt like the writer and producer were often at odds with eachother about what the show should be, and it undercut a lot of what made that show unique. GoBuster Ace for example is a fantastic mecha that played well with a lot of the shows tones, however Bandai DEMANDS a Sentai robo follow a certain development pattern for merchandising, so you wound up with a mecha by the end that was really gross and cumbersome and often at odds with what the show was trying to do.

There is literally a point in that show where the Producer just steps in and axes the show direction in favour of something else, because the dissonance between the story, the characters, the merchandise and the setting was just too much. It's not that these dictate the failings of the show ratings wise, in fact I'm not sure people are sure why Sentai's doing so badly these days anymore, but you can see how these rating issues emerge in the development of these shows as writers attempting to be unique, and producers attempting to maintain ratings vie for control of the show.

Which is a shame because I actually thought they hit a balance I enjoyed in the last chunk of its run that was a good middleground between it's first and second thirds.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2014

• Locked thread