Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Gyges posted:

Nope. Filler arcs are a thing of the past because creating and animating short story arcs is more expensive than just animating one chapter per episode. The anime will never catch up with the manga again. Plus there's no room for a filler arc right now.

Well look again boys. Here comes a filler arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Figures that instead of heading into one of the best arcs they'd go ahead and take a stop a filler island.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gyges posted:

Figures that instead of heading into one of the best arcs they'd go ahead and take a stop a filler island.

Well maybe if they have a break the next arc won't have half of every episode as slow pans and reaction faces. Probably not, though :smithicide:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Well maybe if they have a break the next arc won't have half of every episode as slow pans and reaction faces. Probably not, though :smithicide:

I think they would need a looooot of filler before they could start having something that's close to sane pacing again, sadly :smith:

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 15, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah the Anime is ~20 episodes (~30 chapters), at a good pace, away from the Manga. They need the buffer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There are all sorts of good places to expand upon like they could of had extended battles vs all the background characters at Marineford but instead we got AAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I am choosing to think that little blip at the end there is something related to the saga. The idea that Law has to tag along with the Straw Hats on some filler arc nonsense is too weird to me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
As long as the filler is long enough to make an impact and its as decent as at least the Ice Hunter filler arc I'll be happy. I doubt it'll be either and we'll be back to padding out every episode for as long as possible.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

They'll make a 20 episode Boss Luffy arc. You know they want to.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Srice posted:

Oda did designs for costumes and the animals in Strong World. He was a producer for both Strong World and Z. That's the extent to which he is officially credited (besides being credited as the original creator, of course. But that goes without saying).

Yeah, Strong World had some backtracking to East Blue to fight the forgettable filler villain. Kinda feels strange when you consider the effort it took to get that far into the Grand Line!

Meanwhile Z's antagonist felt like he fit into the setting quite naturally and they actually took time to develop him a little instead of making him a bad guy that does bad things to make orphaned children sad just because.

At the end of the day he was still the antagonist of a Shonen Jump movie, but it actually felt like they *tried*, and that's what counts!

Strong World didn't have any backtracking to East Blue so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. And while ultimately Shiki was pretty forgettable he is a canon character that's mentioned in the canon material and was originally going to be a part of the manga before Oda decided to use him for the movie. One thing about Oda's involvement with the anime as a whole is that he has free reign with the staff at this point judging from comments he's made in the Q&A sections of each volume. He's not credited for a lot of the content that he's said he was behind. He didn't write the Loguetown filler or Strong World, but he did come up with the story for it and told the anime staff what to put in.

DrBestyMD
Nov 10, 2012

The Bestyest Around; Ain't no one gonna keep this Brazilian down.

Rudoku posted:

They'll make a 20 episode Boss Luffy arc. You know they want to.

No you're thinking of 20 more episodes of Chopperman

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
What I expected: "Intense! Aokiji vs Doflamingo!"
What I got:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

What I expected: "Intense! Aokiji vs Doflamingo!"
What I got:

You didn't include his hilarious perv face.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Yep we are definitely heading towards a filler arc. When your filler arc starts off with the return of the Kung Fu Dugong it's got a good start.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

bondster posted:

Yep we are definitely heading towards a filler arc. When your filler arc starts off with the return of the Kung Fu Dugong it's got a good start.

I'm happy we finally get some filler. One Piece filler is far more entertaining than staring at each other.

Also,

I like how his antlers are a part of the hat, not his head

I also had a random thought - Chopper has a reindeer form, and then he has two semi-human forms. Aren't Zoan-types supposed to give you your base, crossbreed, and fullbreed? Again, Chopper is breaking all the rules. I guess somehow his basic form is supposed to be the hybrid and the gorilla is supposed to be the human? What do you think Sengoku's crossbreed form looks like? What if he uses the rumble ball?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I'm happy we finally get some filler. One Piece filler is far more entertaining than staring at each other.

Also,

I also had a random thought - Chopper has a reindeer form, and then he has two semi-human forms. Aren't Zoan-types supposed to give you your base, crossbreed, and fullbreed? Again, Chopper is breaking all the rules. I guess somehow his basic form is supposed to be the hybrid and the gorilla is supposed to be the human? What do you think Sengoku's crossbreed form looks like? What if he uses the rumble ball?

Gorilla mode is supposed to be Human mode. Chopper mode is the hybrid, then hes got normal raccoon reindeer form. Oda's justification is that Humans in their animal-zoan form are totally obvious to animals just like Chopper's is to us.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Not the first time it happened:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I need recommendations for the most badass story arcs. I was one of those people who watched the first dozen or so episodes years ago when it first came out but dropped it because "meh...not Naruto". And, I don't feel like slogging through all multi-hundred episodes. I already have a basic understanding of all the main characters just through general anime fandom exposure and watching the intro arc, but where should I go from here?

I hear the anime is kind of craptastic until episode 100? I hear good things of the Battle at Marineford and the one where the crew goes vengeance on a dude loving with Nami. That's about it. (Episode ranges would be greatly appreciated for expediency.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 27, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for the most badass story arcs. I was one of those people who watched the first dozen or so episodes years ago when it first came out but dropped it because "meh...not Naruto". And, I don't feel like slogging through all multi-hundred episodes. I already have a basic understanding of all the main characters just through general anime fandom exposure and watching the intro arc, but where should I go from here?

I hear the anime is kind of craptastic until episode 100? I hear good things of the Battle at Marineford and the one where the crew goes vengeance on a dude loving with Nami. That's about it. (Episode ranges would be greatly appreciated for expediency.)

Marineford is definitely not a good adaption. Dude fuckin' with Nami would be the Arlong Arc in the 15-20s I think, which is where I think it really takes off.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Just watch from the beginning to get the backstory and around episode 30 (Arlong arc) is when it starts taking off.

One Piece brings back references and seemingly minor characters throughout the story so missing character development and story can ruin the impact of poo poo.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 27, 2013

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you get a good guide for skipping filler and skip the 8 minutes of OP + recap the episodes go by very quickly.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

If you get a good guide for skipping filler and skip the 8 minutes of OP + recap the episodes go by very quickly.

quote:

Romance Dawn : 1-3
Buggy Arc: 4-8
Captain Kuro Arc: 9-17
Don Krieg Arc: 18-30
Arlong Arc: 31-44
Buggy side story: 45-47
Logue town : 48-53 (50,51 filler)

[Warship island Arc: 54-60
terrible filler don't bother watching but read spoiler tag
explains that the calm belt surronds the grand line, this basically has no current/wind is unsailable for pirate ships and has larger then normal seakings.]
Episode 61 is half filler half canon

Whiskey peak Arc: 62-67
Coby/Helmeppo Side Story: 68-69
Little Garden Arc: 70-77
Drum Island Arc: 78-91
Arabasta Arc: 92-130 (93,98,99,101,102 are filler)

[Post Arabasta Arc: 131-135 Basically recap how ppl joined crew
Goat island arc: 136-138 (debatedly the worst filler in the series, definitely don't bother watching)
Rainbow Mist Arc: 139-143 (as far as filler goes this isn't too bad, if you wanna give any filler a chance i'd recommend this one)]

Jaya Arc: 144-152
Skypiea Arc: 153-195

[G8 Arc: 196-206]

Davy Back Fight Arc: 207-219 (213-216 are filler)

[Memory Arc: 220-224
Return of foxy: 225-226]

226 is mostly filler
Water 7 Arc: 227-263
Enies lobby: 264-312 (279-283 filler about how strawhats joined crew recap, 291-292 and 303)
Post enies lobby arc: 313-325 (317-319 filler)

[Ice hunter arc: 326-336]

Thriller bark arc : 337-381

[Spa island: 382-384]

Saboady Archipelago: 385-405
Boss luffy: 406-7 filler
Amazon Lily: 408-421
Impel down: 422-425, 430-452
(426-429 are specials relating to movie 10 which will be written by oda there awful but linked to movie 10 you don't really need to watch them to watch movie 10
Strawhat whereabouts: 453-456
Story recap: 457-458
Whitebeard War Saga: 459-489
Post war-arc: 490-516 (492, 497-499, 506 filler)
Return to Sabaody: 517-522
Fishman Island Arc: 523-574 (542 filler)
Z's ambition arc: 575-578 filler
Punk Hazard: 579 onwards

Someones list I came across. Anything in brackets is a filler 'arc'

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

G8 is well worth watching. It's the only filler arc that's as good as the source material. It's really fun.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

All the early episodes are fantastic, so whoever told you that doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AlternateNu posted:

I would skip all the way to Water Seven, that's where the World Government first really shows up as an adversary. I don't want to say "that's where the plot starts" because the character introductions aren't irrelevant or anything, but it's still kind of apt.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would skip all the way to Water Seven, that's where the World Government first really shows up as an adversary. I don't want to say "that's where the plot starts" because the character introductions aren't irrelevant or anything, but it's still kind of apt.

Many things that happen during that arc (Luffy VS Usopp, Robin's "betrayal", Merry's demise...) mean nothing if you're not familiar with the characters.

If you already watched the first dozen or so episodes start from Arlong's arc and just skip the filler arcs mentioned some posts above and take your time to enjoy the series, it's not like you're in a hurry to catch up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Petiso posted:

it's not like you're in a hurry to catch up.

And if you are in a hurry to catch up, You're Doing It Wrong.

There's no real point in catching up just for the sake of catching up. That'd be like wanting to know what's so great about Harry Potter, so you watch some highlights from the the first six movies so you can watch the seventh ASAP.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That analogy would work better if the first six Harry Potter books were the same plot repeated over and over with slight variations.

Wait, nevermind. :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Skypiea and Fishman Island arcs are pretty safe to skip. They are really drawn out and boring, too.

My favorite arcs have always been the Arlong and Alabastre arcs. They had the first "poo poo is getting real" moments of the show, and had the most memorable villains in my opinion. Crocodile's laugh always made me want to punch him in the face myself.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 27, 2013

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Renoistic posted:

The Skypiea and Fishman Island arcs are pretty safe to skip. They are really drawn out and boring, too.

My favorite arcs have always been the Arlong and Alabastre arcs. They had the first "poo poo is getting real" moments of the show, and had the most memorable villains in my opinion. Crocodile's laugh always made me want to punch him in the face myself.

Skypiea is one of my favourite arcs and I will never understand why people hate it so much. Fishman Island is meh but it has some important moments and more importantly its main purpose was for the crew to showoff so I can't really say you should skip it. The only arc you could really get away with skipping over is the Davy Back Fight arc and really why would you want to do that? The entire arc is full of pure gold.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fishman Island is far too long and as analogies for racial hatred go it's incredibly clumsy and :japan:.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is always that effort to DBZ Kai the episodes, I forget the name of the guy doing it though, so I'm not being too helpful right now.

Unfortunately, the incredibly slow build-up is one of the best parts of the show, in my opinion. You meet some evil dude, you want Luffy to beat him, but you're forced to watch him continue to do more and more evil as Luffy slowly makes his way to him, which only makes Luffy finally beating him all the more satisfactory. I always think I want to find an episode to show someone to get them into the show, but it's so hard because even though you love a certain fight, it will never mean as much to someone that hasn't seen Luffy struggle to get to that point where he's finally defeating him.

Jimbot posted:

G8 is well worth watching. It's the only filler arc that's as good as the source material. It's really fun.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

There is always that effort to DBZ Kai the episodes, I forget the name of the guy doing it though, so I'm not being too helpful right now.

Unfortunately, the incredibly slow build-up is one of the best parts of the show, in my opinion. You meet some evil dude, you want Luffy to beat him, but you're forced to watch him continue to do more and more evil as Luffy slowly makes his way to him, which only makes Luffy finally beating him all the more satisfactory. I always think I want to find an episode to show someone to get them into the show, but it's so hard because even though you love a certain fight, it will never mean as much to someone that hasn't seen Luffy struggle to get to that point where he's finally defeating him.

One Pace is doing from Thriller Bark -> Timeskip and Timeskip -> Current.

I think they're up to the Moriah fight and they have everything current since the timeskip.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
The Alabasta arc is one of my personal favorites. I guess you could skip Nami's introduction, since she isn't really set up until Arlong. I guess you could skip Zoro's but it's short and helps set up the story. Watch Usopp's, though. He needs a character foundation to work from. Sanji's intro arc, take it or leave it I guess? Don't really remember if there's something great there.

Kild posted:

One Pace is doing from Thriller Bark -> Timeskip and Timeskip -> Current.

I think they're up to the Moriah fight and they have everything current since the timeskip.

On that note I really mention that I'm really glad I watched the anime version of Thriller Bark. Whatever pacing issues there may have been, I can't imagine missing out on actually getting to hear Binks' Sake, in all its wonderful versions. That really helped establish Brooks as a great character.

Goddamn though, Fishman did drag. Could have stood to read the manga for that.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Baratie is important because that's where Zoro meets Mihawk.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silento posted:

Baratie is important because that's where Zoro meets Mihawk.

Aside from that, Sanji's backstory and Nami leaving are the only real things of interest there. Don Krieg is kind of a boring villain (and Pearl just loving sucks).

If you aren't hooked by watching till the end of Arlong, man, I dunno what to tell ya. Maybe try a different anime? That's the litmus test right there.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I really liked Sanji's intro arc :( At the very least it sets up why he is the cook. (and never uses his hands to fight)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Arlong basically is the turning point since it's the first real arc that has its core 5 crew members, and has the first instance of Luffy showing how much he believes in protecting his crew. The other thing about the smaller arcs is that it builds and slowly develops the characters as well as getting you used to them, which has big payoffs in the bigger arcs. Usopp is one of my favorite characters, but I can understand people getting annoyed by him initially, but he has one of the best character arcs across the series as he grows from a cowardly liar to the pirate of the sea he aspires to be, which you wouldn't fully appreciate if you were to just jump straight into Alabasta or Water 7. It's also why Alabasta is still one of my favorite arcs, since it pays off a lot of the characters' growth up to that point in addition to being the climax of the Baroque Works storyline that had started the moment they came into the Grand Line. One Piece starts off fairly lightheartedly with a lot of silly elements, which is off-putting to people more used to other shonen fare like Naruto or Bleach, but it's also why the more serious arcs have much more impact when they happen.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with our filler Antagonist being able to control any living animal with his devil fruit power, I'm fully expecting Brook to be the saviour.

Terrible theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Aside from that, Sanji's backstory and Nami leaving are the only real things of interest there. Don Krieg is kind of a boring villain (and Pearl just loving sucks).

I really liked Don Krieg...

Andrew_1985 posted:

So with our filler Antagonist being able to control any living animal with his devil fruit power, I'm fully expecting Brook to be the saviour.

Terrible theory?

I don't know, he never seems to have any immunities that would have been granted to him for being a skeleton, eg poison.