Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Buzkashi posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot on Facebook, because I always thought of "Freedom isn't Free" as meaning that the concept of Freedom is under siege and at risk of being enslaved, not that Freedom explicitly has a cost associated with it.

It's one of those metaphorical sayings that doesn't have a litteral meaning, so I don't think your interpretation is wrong per se.

But yeah most people read it as being "Freedom has a cost".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Angry Tiny Man posted:

Am I missing something there, or did you just not read the whole thing? Because that looks more like it's admonishing idiots on social media.

No, I'm aware that's what it's doing. I just thought it was a nice antidote to the shite that we usually have to read through to give this thread its entertainment.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SkinCrawling posted:

Walk on highways. Stare at the sky.

I would probably be cool with those parts, but only if I'm using my paid vacation days for it :colbert:

I think it would be a totally legit use of 2 weeks to see how far I can hike in a week along back roads or something, and then hike back for the second week. I bet I could make it to Pennsylvania.

Semprini posted:

This is probably idiotic in its own way, but it's Winterval, so who cares.

haha I wanna do one of these with a sinister fake Obama quote, or something.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Buzkashi posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot on Facebook, because I always thought of "Freedom isn't Free" as meaning that the concept of Freedom is under siege and at risk of being enslaved, not that Freedom explicitly has a cost associated with it.

Well, if you don't put in your buck o' five, who will? :colbert:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Elderbean posted:

The only way to instill respect is to hit your kids. Also, the guy who posted this is generally a massive assshole. The one and only time I had him over he got way too drunk and pissed in my kitchen sink. He never apologised.

Maybe you should have smacked the poo poo out of him.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Elderbean posted:

The only way to instill respect is to hit your kids. Also, the guy who posted this is generally a massive assshole. The one and only time I had him over he got way too drunk and pissed in my kitchen sink. He never apologised.

Why have you not countered with 'remember that time you came over and had a few too many and took a leak in my sink?'

The thread would appreciate you touching the poop.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Ask for ungrateful Christmas assholes and you will receive:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
[quote="Patchouli Patrol" post="423653679"]
Ask for ungrateful Christmas assholes and you will receive:

Who the hell calls a watch a "timepiece"

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Someone pretentious enough to think bitching about it on Facebook is a brilliant idea.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Probably the same kind of person who painstakingly picks out their Christmas gifts for other people to give them and gets pissy if there's a slight deviation. Or at least I think that's what happened, it was hard to parse through that flowery thesaurus language.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

For those of you who don't read the Ulillillia thread here he is complaining about his presents in his own very Uli way.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Dude, I think you've got the wrong thread - this is about Idiots on Facebook...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Does it count that there are a ton of idiots commenting trying to change the entire way his brain works on his statuses?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

IceAgeComing posted:

Dude, I think you've got the wrong thread - this is about Idiots on Facebook...

I don't know, he sounds pretty loving insufferable to me. I understand not liking clothes as gifts, but just the numerical listing and "BEEP BOOP I have enough clothes, more is illogical and results in 10% more laundry output" capped off by "they gave me an inferior handheld gaming system :qq: " seems worthy of this thread.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Usually this is most wonderful day of the year for Christmas greed and idiocracy but it looks like the usual Twitter feeds are just full of STDH to get retweets or whatever.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ihatemyparents&src=hash

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23worstchristmasever&src=hash

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Another entry in the 'sister is a douche' chronicles. If I can't get an accurate idea of what this guy did (Wikipedia wasn't all that much more informative than this blurb was), I doubt an E-3 will either. More than that, I think it's inappropriate for an enlisted soldier to express an opinion on a matter like this.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Aerdan posted:

I think it's inappropriate for an enlisted soldier to express an opinion on a matter like this.

FREE SPEECH!
:qqsay:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aerdan posted:

Another entry in the 'sister is a douche' chronicles. If I can't get an accurate idea of what this guy did (Wikipedia wasn't all that much more informative than this blurb was), I doubt an E-3 will either. More than that, I think it's inappropriate for an enlisted soldier to express an opinion on a matter like this.

Is this about that dude who shot the unarmed people approaching his camp?

It's fun arguing about this stuff with people IRL, because it helps you identify the potential serial killers among your friends and family.

"Aside from the fact, that these are, like actual human beings who were unarmed, they're also not actually combatants from an enemy nation. Unless we're acknowledging Taliban or Al Qaeda sovereignty now :v:"

If their answer is something like, "So?", or, "loving who cares about some camel jockey?", or, "Why would any of those people ever approach a military base for any reason besides KILLING OUR SOLDIERS :byodame:" then congratulations! The person you are talking to is capable of very easily categorizing a person as an object, and considering the fact of their life or death unimportant!

EDIT: a word

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Dec 26, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know, he sounds pretty loving insufferable to me. I understand not liking clothes as gifts, but just the numerical listing and "BEEP BOOP I have enough clothes, more is illogical and results in 10% more laundry output" capped off by "they gave me an inferior handheld gaming system :qq: " seems worthy of this thread.

Yeah, that's basically Uli in a nutshell. He's a spergy robot that some goons are obsessed with.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Kimmalah posted:

Probably the same kind of person who painstakingly picks out their Christmas gifts for other people to give them and gets pissy if there's a slight deviation. Or at least I think that's what happened, it was hard to parse through that flowery thesaurus language.

I think the poster is mad because they spent hours shopping for the perfect christmas gift for their spouse to buy them, because their spouse is just too stupid or thoughtless to buy an acceptable gift on their own*, and when a friend or family member told said spouse they have great taste, he didn't correct them and say, "Why, no! I don't actually have great taste. My wife picked it out for herself because she is aware of my huge lack of taste and totally isn't a selfish rear end in a top hat who wouldn't accept a timepiece that was made of another a metal! She's the one who actually has a great eye for quality timepieces!" She wanted that praise for herself damnit! :mad:

*I don't actually think this, but it's pretty obvious the person posting does. I also tried really hard to make my interpretation of the post gender neutral, but it was even harder to read that way.

parque bynch posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

Eve wants a watch, so Adam is going to buy her one. He decides to let her pick it out, but makes her wait to open it on Christmas. She opens it in a package marked "From Adam, To Eve" and somebody else admires the watch and says "my my, Adam has fantastic taste." She's upset that Adam's taste in jewelry was complimented, when in reality she chose it so it was HER taste that deserved praise.

Much clearer than my wording.

Bored has a new favorite as of 09:34 on Dec 27, 2013

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Bored posted:

I think the poster is mad because they spent hours shopping for the perfect christmas gift for their spouse to buy them, because their spouse is just too stupid or thoughtless to buy an acceptable gift on their own*, and when a friend or family member told said spouse they have great taste, he didn't correct them and say, "Why, no! I don't actually have great taste. My wife picked it out for herself because she is aware of my huge lack of taste and totally isn't a selfish rear end in a top hat who wouldn't accept a timepiece that was made of another a metal! She's the one who actually has a great eye for quality timepieces!" She wanted that praise for herself damnit! :mad:

*I don't actually think this, but it's pretty obvious the person posting does. I also tried really hard to make my interpretation of the post gender neutral, but it was even harder to read that way.

This interpretation works if the person doesn't know that "complemented" is a different word from "complimented", which all things considered, is kind of likely. Otherwise I think s/he just didn't get the watch they were expecting.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Modern Day Hercules posted:

This interpretation works if the person doesn't know that "complemented" is a different word from "complimented", which all things considered, is kind of likely. Otherwise I think s/he just didn't get the watch they were expecting.
Ah, I was wondering what the heck Bored meant by that. No, I would say the clearest reading of that sentence is the one in which 'complemented' is used correctly.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Bored posted:

For context, this young lady is complaining that her parents bought her the *wrong* rose gold watch.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Patchouli Patrol posted:

For context, this young lady is complaining that her parents bought her the *wrong* rose gold watch.

Yes, of course, Chopard. Not the Cartier watch THAT I WANTED

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Eve wants a watch, so Adam is going to buy her one. He decides to let her pick it out, but makes her wait to open it on Christmas. She opens it in a package marked "From Adam, To Eve" and somebody else admires the watch and says "my my, Adam has fantastic taste." She's upset that Adam's taste in jewelry was complimented, when in reality she chose it so it was HER taste that deserved praise.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

parque bynch posted:

Oh, they meant complimented, not complemented! I was totally not getting that.

Jesus Christ, at least let other people get praise for buying you a present even if you pickedit out yourself.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

parque bynch posted:

Holy gently caress, you are absolutely right, that's exactly what she's trying to say.

That makes this even worse IMO.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I think the best part is that she thinks people should be thanking her every time they have fun because she introduced them

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I really wanna touch the poop with that one

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
A friend of a friend-

Hey that's a pretty cool Christmas present!

Oh. :stare:

Oh. :stonk:

On the plus side it seems to be for charity. On the other hand you're still doing group black face Nelson Mandela. I like the one guy who either didn't get the memo or refused to take part.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shelf Adventure posted:

On the other hand you're still doing group black face Nelson Mandela.

"African American" face Nelson Mandela, please.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is it a success or failure when blackface has become such a Bad Thing To Not Do that it recedes from the collective memory and then people do it to honor someone/raise money for charity without realizing what it was?

Murder Hats
Nov 16, 2008

"You need to put as much focus on work as you give to getting the perfect reCaptcha phrase!"
/
:backtowork:

It's a wonder my mom hasn't had a complete shitfit and defriended green and blue these past few years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Byzantine posted:

Is it a success or failure when blackface has become such a Bad Thing To Not Do that it recedes from the collective memory and then people do it to honor someone/raise money for charity without realizing what it was?

It hasn't receded from the collective memory. It's only receded from the memories of desperately clueless white people and/or racists.

It's not like there isn't a big public outcry about blackface every year or so.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Byzantine posted:

I'd guarantee they tacked on the charity thing just to get away with walking around in blackface for a bit.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh boy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Otaku Rule #3

Compress your images to poo poo

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Otaku Rule #1: Please for the love of god stop talking about being an otaku.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I would love to hear someone try to speak Japanese from what they learned watching anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Saagonsa posted:

I would love to hear someone try to speak Japanese from what they learned watching anime.

All I can think of is that it would be ridiculous, inappropriate, and hilarious things to hear.

• Locked thread