Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ty, gonna leave it in the old sock drawer when i go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
watching this doctor who christmas special because michael gabaldi is supposed to be in it but he's not in it

also i'm pretty confused about what is happening

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress Red Mars is good, kinda mad i havent read this before. are Blue Mars and Green Mars as good?
not as good. green has a pretty cool twist near the end, but only after 200 pages of people arguing politics and writing the martian constitution. blue is mostly politics (ho hum). theres also a book of short stories set at various points in the novels. all are worth reading but red is the best of the bunch.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

not as good. green has a pretty cool twist near the end, but only after 200 pages of people arguing politics and writing the martian constitution. blue is mostly politics (ho hum). theres also a book of short stories set at various points in the novels. all are worth reading but red is the best of the bunch.

the Mars books are social scifi - politics is the point of them. the characterisation is just as strong in the sequels, and you still get the sense of awe at the landscape. i can understand that some people might get bored with the constitution stuff but I don't think you can argue that red mars sets up the sequels and then they go off a different way

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

shut up fags all three mars books are great

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I read the Mars Trilogy when I was 14 and it probably helped shape my current political beliefs in a pretty big way.

Thank god I didn't pick up an Ayn Rand book.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
was given a delany novel for christmas (nova) to head off my desire to read dhalgren

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Greed is eternal posted:

everything that was taken directly from the book owned and evertyhing Hackson added was poo poo.

correct

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

watching this doctor who christmas special because michael gabaldi is supposed to be in it but he's not in it

also i'm pretty confused about what is happening

just want to say the dr who thing was ok and better than most of the recent stuff. also clara is really pretty

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

toby posted:

correct

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
halfway through ancillary justice and it's p good so far y'all

http://www.amazon.com/Ancillary-Justice-Ann-Leckie-ebook/dp/B00BAXFDLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388092494&sr=8-1&keywords=ancillary+justice

i guess it's leckie's first novel, and it's a pretty impressive debut

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Trig Discipline posted:

halfway through ancillary justice and it's p good so far y'all

http://www.amazon.com/Ancillary-Justice-Ann-Leckie-ebook/dp/B00BAXFDLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388092494&sr=8-1&keywords=ancillary+justice

i guess it's leckie's first novel, and it's a pretty impressive debut

thanks, this looks right up my alley

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cold on a Cob posted:

just ordered the philip k dick hardcover collection with some amazon gift monies i received :yosbutt:

i too got these amazon moneys guess its time to books

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
dehumanize  yourself  and  face  to  books

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cold on a Cob posted:

dehumanize  yourself  and  face  to  books

went a bit mental on the Kindle Xmas Deals section, all new books :o:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I read the Mars Trilogy when I was 14 and it probably helped shape my current political beliefs in a pretty big way.

Thank god I didn't pick up an Ayn Rand book.

yeah it led to me being insufferable in yr11 politics but as you say it coulda been heinlein

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jet Age posted:

yeah it led to me being insufferable in yr11 politics but as you say it coulda been heinlein

heinlein would have made the trains conveyor belt highways run on time

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hmm, seems awful.app doesn't like ASCII chars in quotes :shobon:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

they're called fullwidth characters u gaijin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Opinion Haver posted:

they're called fullwidth characters u gaijin

Sorry, I reserve that term for seeing your family at a restaurant.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

heyoo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

went a bit mental on the Kindle Xmas Deals section, all new books :o:

also i used to kindle a lot but guess i prefer the warm sound of analogue books plus i like the big covers

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Cold on a Cob posted:

also i used to kindle a lot but guess i prefer the warm sound of analogue books plus i like the big covers

i also like physical books because they are very personal pieces of furniture in sufficient quantities

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
after having to move twice in two years i've decided my love of physical books has to take a back seat to practicality, and all in all the kindle is a pretty neat gadget

(i still have a shitton of books to move again...)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i probably gained like 5 pounds of arm muscle reading the physical hardcover version of reamde so there's another advantage

goddamn does stephenson like his doorstoppers

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
finished red mars earlier. im already basically arkady in political views so it wasn't revolutionary in ideas that way but gently caress if the first half wasn't some of the most interesting and enjoyable hard scifi ive ever read. the second half with john's story and all the poo poo going down are probably exactly what would happen too.

5/5 would read again

on green mars now

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i probably gained like 5 pounds of arm muscle reading the physical hardcover version of reamde so there's another advantage

goddamn does stephenson like his doorstoppers

too bad the book is trash

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

the 200 page MMO brainstorm would have been jerkoff time for my 16yo self and part of the time where thier in China (i think, been a while since I read it) was at least mildly amusing but then he had to go and turn it into "Midwest conservative gun loving family saves the US from brown people" including the most boring of all Stephenson endings, maybe because he actually wrapped it up in more than 10 pages

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

the 200 page MMO brainstorm would have been jerkoff time for my 16yo self and part of the time where thier in China (i think, been a while since I read it) was at least mildly amusing but then he had to go and turn it into "Midwest conservative gun loving family saves the US from brown people" including the most boring of all Stephenson endings, maybe because he actually wrapped it up in more than 10 pages

I just labored through the Godfather trilogy, and I now understand the pizza box server analogy + possess a pizza-cutting katana. by me, age sanjuu

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Metal Pink Babble posted:

I just labored through the Godfather trilogy, and I now understand the pizza box server analogy + possess a pizza-cutting katana. by me, age sanjuu

i know you are pain, dude who i barely understand most times

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Base Emitter posted:

after having to move twice in two years i've decided my love of physical books has to take a back seat to practicality, and all in all the kindle is a pretty neat gadget

(i still have a shitton of books to move again...)

i am currently having to severely reduce my collection myself for a variety of reasons, and it is seriously like pulling teeth

"do i really need a roget's thesaurus from 1937? it looks so good on the shelf, though"

also during my latest re-organization and culling efforts, i discovered that my copy of "origin of species" was once owned by the us ambassador to mali during the nixon administration

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
goddamn do i want to go to mars or anywhere in space. i know i have no real skills needed for space travel and colonization other than being a mechanic but gently caress this gay earth

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DiggityDoink posted:

goddamn do i want to go to mars or anywhere in space. i know i have no real skills needed for space travel and colonization other than being a mechanic but gently caress this gay earth

enjoy your cancer

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
if u think we're ever gonna build a colony on mars/the moon rather than just sending increasingly versatile robots, lol

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

coffeetable posted:

enjoy your cancer

like you don't have a damned good chance of that already. lol if you wouldn't be one of the first people on mars cause you might die 10 years earlier. if i could step foot on mars, gently caress around for a day or two and then keel over, psure id be ok with that.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 27, 2013

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coffeetable posted:

if u think we're ever gonna build a colony on mars/the moon rather than just sending increasingly versatile robots, lol

dude, teh moon is made of cheese. if its crust is also stuffed with cheese, this must be some kind of pleidaean utopia that humans cannot fathom. i hear there is a towere on the moon made of... cheeeaeese! :urkel:

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

like you don't have a damned good chance of that already. lol if you wouldn't be one if the first people on mars cause you might die 10 years earlier. if i could step foot on mars, gently caress around for a day or two and then keel over, psure id be ok with that.

i know mars bars are made of inferior slave chocolate.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jonad posted:

thanks, this looks right up my alley

odd thing about this book: for the first time i can remember, i am halfway through a book and am completely unable to determine the gender of any of the main characters

the reason for this makes sense in the narrative, but it's interesting as an illustration of a lot of the assumptions you make when reading fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

i got more and more mad at that book as i read it but i kept reading it just to see how bad it would be

verdict: preeeeetty bad

• Locked thread