Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sereri posted:

That's how rooting anything works. You unlock the bootloader with adb (this will erase your device), download some rom/kernel from some strange website and flash it. It will give you root access and most likely not brick your N7.
What do you need root for?

Got the impression that it's a good thing to do if you want to enjoy the N7 to the fullest. Should I just begin by unblocking the bootloader and save the rest for later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Got the impression that it's a good thing to do if you want to enjoy the N7 to the fullest. Should I just begin by unblocking the bootloader and save the rest for later?

Pretty much.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't think I could live with an android phone unrooted. I love greenify and removing loads of poo poo from being running so much.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Black Griffon posted:

3. Is there any way to customize the number of home screens? I'd love to have them out of the way until I actually fill them up with something.

If it has automatically updated to 4.4.2 already then you could install the Google Experience Launcher which integrates Google Now and is pretty slick. That or any other launcher will give you more options.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Rooting is less necessary for the N7 than most phones--it really doesn't come with any bloatware. I've never bothered with it myself

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guillermus posted:

I don't think I could live with an android phone unrooted. I love greenify and removing loads of poo poo from being running so much.

I haven't used greenify, but generally speaking this kind of poo poo isn't needed unless there's some specific rogue app or something that you need to kill. Or at least that used to be the conventional wisdom. Has that changed?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't used greenify, but generally speaking this kind of poo poo isn't needed unless there's some specific rogue app or something that you need to kill. Or at least that used to be the conventional wisdom. Has that changed?

No. That is still unnecessary computer janitoring of your device, even more so now than before.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Gives me a minor bump in battery, but nowhere near as huge as switching to ART vs Dalvik did.

No need for it anymore.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

Gives me a minor bump in battery, but nowhere near as huge as switching to ART vs Dalvik did.

No need for it anymore.

Going from Dalvik to ART gave me an extra 2 hours of screen time and battery life.

ART is the best.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Greenify and other similar power management tools can sometimes gently caress with push notifications so be wary.

I used the Snapdragon specific one and despite me telling it specifically NOT to gently caress with Gmail it still managed to kill push on my N4 and I had to revert to a previous backup to fix it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Going from Dalvik to ART gave me an extra 2 hours of screen time and battery life.

ART is the best.

I'm still with 4.3 and I don't think I'm going to 4.4 until CM gets a stable 11 release.

I use greenify because it kills apps like soundcloud or facebook when I forget to log out. I like having 2 days of battery life on my S4.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is it possible to play website flash files on an android tablet?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I fell into a free Nexus 7 (2013) Poetic Slimline case. I have an OG N7, and I liked it, but it is starting to feel a bit clunky and long in the tooth. Will the new one blow my socks off with its buttery smooth speed?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This year's Nexus 7 absolutely blows the original one away in every regard. Quite a bit faster, thinner/lighter, better battery life, and the screen is light years better. Wireless charging is also a really nice addition.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Thermopyle posted:

I live in Korea so my phone is packed with dogshit awful Korean software I'll never need and can't turn off. Rooting Korean phones seems like a big, risky pain in the balls too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

joedevola posted:

I live in Korea so my phone is packed with dogshit awful Korean software I'll never need and can't turn off. Rooting Korean phones seems like a big, risky pain in the balls too.

You should be able to disable any app, even systems apps (unless I guess the manufacturer has done something weird and disabled disabling)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Greenify and other similar power management tools can sometimes gently caress with push notifications so be wary.
So it's the Black Viper's Windows services guide for millenials?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Exactly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

I've never heard of this before (Mac user :smugdog: ) so I googled this and do people seriously "tweak" their desktop OS? What benefit is there?

Also, nice to see that the dude is reinforcing that nerds have awful bad taste

quote:

Favorites

Restaurant: Olive Garden ~ I love Pasta! My meal is Garlic bread sticks with Alfredo sauce, Cheese sticks and ranch dressing,
    Fettuccine Alfredo w/ Shrimp, and to top it all off, a Black Tie Cheese Cake.
    Fast Food: I added a Rant topic: Jack in the Box Rant. I resist change as much as I can. I am rather set in my ways and enjoy it when I know “what is to come.” I also know exactly what I want, most of the time. Unfortunately, my favorite “Fast Food” restaurant has now changed a product that I have enjoyed for over 15 years. Let me explain.Read more…

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

This year's Nexus 7 absolutely blows the original one away in every regard. Quite a bit faster, thinner/lighter, better battery life, and the screen is light years better. Wireless charging is also a really nice addition.
Well, that figures. I was (unexpectedly) gifted a 2012 Nexus 7 for Christmas. I really like it so far but knowing that the new one is that much better is going to bug the hell out of me. I'll probably just upgrade next year or something silly like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

I've never heard of this before (Mac user :smugdog: ) so I googled this and do people seriously "tweak" their desktop OS? What benefit is there?
It was all the rage around a decade ago, at peak Windows XP and 2000 saturation. "Power users" would disable countless services to try to get an extra 2 MB of RAM free and then wonder why they couldn't print anymore.

Edit: I wish I had my buddy's old checklist for setting up his desktop after a clean install. He used Windows 2000 as a desktop/gaming OS and then had like a 50-step checklist in a text file that he'd follow to configure his OS: disabling services, installing awful third-party desktops/Window skins, etc. My argument to just use XP (this was post SP1 at this point) fell on deaf ears for years.

Surprise: he's an Android user now.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 26, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It was all the rage around a decade ago, at peak Windows XP and 2000 saturation. "Power users" would disable countless services to try to get an extra 2 MB of RAM free and then wonder why they couldn't print anymore.

And I'm pretty sure this was a direct descendent of all the cargo-cult tweaking of config.sys and autoexec.bat that mayyybe would let you load your CD-ROM driver AND your sound card driver with enough low RAM that you could still play Kings Quest.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

And I'm pretty sure this was a direct descendent of all the cargo-cult tweaking of config.sys and autoexec.bat that mayyybe would let you load your CD-ROM driver AND your sound card driver with enough low RAM that you could still play Kings Quest.

I had to do that the first time I tried to play DooM, then I upgraded to a 486 DX2 @ 66Mhz with 8Mb ram, was like going from a Nokia N70 to a Galaxy S I9000 (this was literally for me) :black101:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really at a loss with my 2012 Nexus 7. It is completely incapable of playing any sort of video file. All I want it to do is stream 720p files from my network server, something it should be readily capable of doing, and it completely shits the bed every time I try to play something. BSPlayer, MX Player Dice Player, nothing actually plays. I've even tried loading files onto the internal memory and it's still completely choppy and unwatchable. I don't know what's going on here, this thing is more than capable of playing these files. Is there some magic switch I need to flip for this thing to work?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm really at a loss with my 2012 Nexus 7. It is completely incapable of playing any sort of video file. All I want it to do is stream 720p files from my network server, something it should be readily capable of doing, and it completely shits the bed every time I try to play something. BSPlayer, MX Player Dice Player, nothing actually plays. I've even tried loading files onto the internal memory and it's still completely choppy and unwatchable. I don't know what's going on here, this thing is more than capable of playing these files. Is there some magic switch I need to flip for this thing to work?

Have you tried Plex?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

ART is the best.

Can't wait until ART to become the default Android runtime. Also for intel to finally get their chips on the popular android phones... combining both should give a massive boost to battery life/performance.

Edit: Also (unconfirmed) rumors that intel is going to be the chip used in the next nexus 7

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/12/26/did-intel-just-win-the-next-nexus-7.aspx#.Urz0aPRDvh4

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2013

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Have you tried Plex?

Not yet, no. My setup (central server+xbmc on my computers) has worked really well for quite a while and I was hoping to not mess with additional server software just for the tablet. I'm more worried that something is wrong with the tablet; it streams Netflix fine but completely hates any local files for whatever reason.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Not yet, no. My setup (central server+xbmc on my computers) has worked really well for quite a while and I was hoping to not mess with additional server software just for the tablet. I'm more worried that something is wrong with the tablet; it streams Netflix fine but completely hates any local files for whatever reason.

The Nexus 7 can't do every codec. If MX Player and Dice aren't working, try Plex.

Mister Fister posted:

Can't wait until ART to become the default Android runtime. Also for intel to finally get their chips on the popular android phones... combining both should give a massive boost to battery life/performance.

Edit: Also (unconfirmed) rumors that intel is going to be the chip used in the next nexus 7

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/12/26/did-intel-just-win-the-next-nexus-7.aspx#.Urz0aPRDvh4

I went back from ART to Dalvik on my phone. I don't see that big of a change on it. Plus, I'm tired of switching the runtimes just to play PAD. :v: I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I'll see how the Nexus 7 fares with ART for a little bit when I'm not at home and probably won't charge it every night.

I probably won't be replacing my 2013 Nexus 7 until 2015, but this looks nice for the phone I'm planning on picking up in 2014. Maybe Intel will snag the next Nexus or Moto X if this happens.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 7 can't do every codec. If MX Player and Dice aren't working, try Plex.

I went back from ART to Dalvik on my phone. I don't see that big of a change on it. Plus, I'm tired of switching the runtimes just to play PAD. :v: I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I'll see how the Nexus 7 fares with ART for a little bit when I'm not at home and probably won't charge it every night.

I probably won't be replacing my 2013 Nexus 7 until 2015, but this looks nice for the phone I'm planning on picking up in 2014. Maybe Intel will snag the next Nexus or Moto X if this happens.

I've tried briefly an Asus Fonepad using a Z2420 and was surprised how smooth it was. I want to point it was just a 10 minute session with it, messing, installing apps and so but hey, Intel is really huge and I'm sure that they can push enough to get more market.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

1st AD posted:

Also, nice to see that the dude is reinforcing that nerds have awful bad taste

:stare:

http://www.blackviper.com/2002/09/02/the-jack-in-the-box-rant/

Why am I not surprised that this guy is a sperg about his fast food burgers too? This is a fantastic view into mind of the god king of loving around with Windows services.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I love that he's still pissed off enough about it to update it six years later.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His regular is a double cheeseburger with extra cheese, fried cheese sticks, and cheese cake. My bowels hurt thinking about it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

^^ TWO cheesecakes. Yikes.

I was waiting for the Ulilililia-esque part, where when he eats a Sourdough Jack he can see his hit point meter rise back up.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Apologies for derailing the derail, but holy hell his wife's website is ugly.

http://www.flippermcquack.com/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus, what a loving child. I don't think there's anything more pathetic than the "MEAT AND BACON YEAH/VEGGIES ARE FOR PUSSIES" crowd.

waffle posted:

Rooting is less necessary for the N7 than most phones--it really doesn't come with any bloatware. I've never bothered with it myself

Alright, I'm gonna hold of on doing anything serious, this thing is sexy as hell out of the box anyway.

SB35 posted:

If it has automatically updated to 4.4.2 already then you could install the Google Experience Launcher which integrates Google Now and is pretty slick. That or any other launcher will give you more options.

Gave Nova launcher a shot (as it was easier to get working than GEL, and it serves my needs.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got my 2012 Nexus 7 plugged into a power strip with the original charger & cord, as well as an Amazon 3ft USB extension cable. While watching Netflix the battery is losing charge..is this normal?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smilingfish posted:

Apologies for derailing the derail, but holy hell his wife's website is ugly.

http://www.flippermcquack.com/
She's obsessed with dolphins and also thinks that she is actually an alien.

I need to make a YOSPOS thread for this poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got my 2012 Nexus 7 plugged into a power strip with the original charger & cord, as well as an Amazon 3ft USB extension cable. While watching Netflix the battery is losing charge..is this normal?

There's a reason why they only supplied a three foot cable. The manual for my 2013 States that it can only charge and be used with the original cable. When plugged into my computer it only holds charge or drains while the screen is on doing nothing. So doing something like running wireless radio full bore, powering the screen and decoding video while running on a cord that is longer than it should be probably isn't helping your nexus charge.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

and also thinks that she is actually an alien.

I think I agree with her on this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah, something like this is what I'm sort of looking for, maybe. I have other issues with my screen sensitivity to bother with trying a BT stylus on it, but I've got an old Wacom pad laying around that if I can use an OTG thing with my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, I'll maybe try it, and it's small/old/tough enough to risk toting around in a backpack, too.

I bit the bullet and just ordered one that should be compatible with my tab, so hopefully it'll work for just wanting to do some decent sketching around with until I get one of the more pen-oriented tablets.

Update on this:

I've got two Wacoms that are recognized when connected as 'mice' with the OTG fob, but with no cursor on screen, so it's really not working. However, they're both older (About 6 and 10 years old each), so maybe android doesn't recognize them. A plain old USB mouse IS recognized, though, and works fine.

After a bit of digging, I found these through Wacom.

http://us.wacom.com/en/developerrelations/android
http://www.wacomeng.com/android/Android%20Framework%20for%20Wacom%20Digitizers.html

I'm really not sure if any of that helps or not, though.

My Galaxy Tab 2 is running ICS, and it looks like in one of the links that Android should almost recognize it if I read it right.