Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Madkal posted:

This is such thing of beauty it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

God bless America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

God bless America. :911:

Fixed that for you.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Alex Ross has done a variant for the relaunch of Daredevil. It's a bit of a given with Alex Ross but Matt Murdoch sure loves being in his Daredevil costume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Weird, Ross usually doesn't do sculpted abs like that, or has he been doing that more as the years go on? The only thing I've really ever read by him is Marvels (I keep meaning to get around to Kingdom Come, the other big famous Ross work, but just hasn't happened yet).

Also I'm trying to think of a dong joke, but all I can come up with are hackneyed jokes about billy clubs.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Alex Ross has done a variant for the relaunch of Daredevil. It's a bit of a given with Alex Ross but Matt Murdoch sure loves being in his Daredevil costume.

Blind Man's Buff

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting black with a red shoulder/torso patch.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Weird, Ross usually doesn't do sculpted abs like that, or has he been doing that more as the years go on? The only thing I've really ever read by him is Marvels (I keep meaning to get around to Kingdom Come, the other big famous Ross work, but just hasn't happened yet).

Also I'm trying to think of a dong joke, but all I can come up with are hackneyed jokes about billy clubs.

The sculpted abs look really goofy contrasted with all the wrinkles in the rest of his suit. Photorealism and then his suit is vacuum sealed around his stomach for no reason.

I was just thinking that it was lucky for him that his boner went up against his abdomen instead of getting trapped pointing down one of his pant legs. It's so much harder to hide when that happens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow, I guess Murdock was right. He's not Daredevil. Daredevil is really JFK.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I love that cover and it also explains why Matt is a hit with the ladies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do those little horns do anything? Can they be removed and thrown as poison darts or something, because they really just look kinda dumb being that small and unnoticeable.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Drifter posted:

Do those little horns do anything? Can they be removed and thrown as poison darts or something, because they really just look kinda dumb being that small and unnoticeable.
They're radio antennae so he can listen to police frequencies, according to an early DD comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Perigryn posted:

They're radio antennae so he can listen to police frequencies, according to an early DD comic.

Hee hee hee. :allears: That's so Silver age that I want to put a bow on it and call it Superman's Pal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TwoPair posted:

The only thing I've really ever read by him is Marvels (I keep meaning to get around to Kingdom Come, the other big famous Ross work, but just hasn't happened yet).

Dude, get around to reading this ASAP. Seriously. It's incredible (much better than Marvels in my opinion).

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Waterhaul posted:

And here I though Daredevil only carried one baton on him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GIRL BRAINS posted:

And here I though Daredevil only carried one baton on him.

Actually, it can telescope out longer, collapse into different shapes, or separate into a couple of pieces that can be connected by wire. You gotta admire a cock that can do all that.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Lobok posted:

Wow, I guess Murdock was right. He's not Daredevil. Daredevil is really JFK.

Hmmm. Well, I suppose we know who was on the grassy knoll then...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Midniter posted:

Dude, get around to reading this ASAP. Seriously. It's incredible (much better than Marvels in my opinion).

QFT. Marvels was good, Kingdom Come is absolutely fantastic.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waterhaul posted:

Political Power is coming in late to try and steal cover of the year :v:

He looks like a satirical version of Cain from, like, Manhattan Projects or something.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
I've been reading Feng Shen Ji which I guess is a Chinese manga? Like, it's read right to left. The artist's name is Tang Chi Fai which I think is Chinese correct me if I'm wrong. What drew me in was really the art. It's consistently good, the coloring enhances the art more than anything and he likes to do closeups of character's faces with a lot of added detail. It's really nice.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Waterhaul posted:

It's not really much of a punchline to actually draw a man in a skintight costume with, y'know, a penis. Because most of them have that. It's really far more of a conundrum that this medium has existed for the better part of a century and everyone's still going around saying, "La La La no dongs on men in spandex!" when we live in a post Tron Guy world.

Especially given how much comic book artists love drawing boobs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another Alan Davis picture I had saved on my computer (I'm using it as my desktop background at the moment); this time it's the Fantastic Four:

You know what else I like about Davis's stuff? He's great at drawing happy characters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

OK Octopus posted:

It's not really much of a punchline to actually draw a man in a skintight costume with, y'know, a penis. Because most of them have that. It's really far more of a conundrum that this medium has existed for the better part of a century and everyone's still going around saying, "La La La no dongs on men in spandex!" when we live in a post Tron Guy world.

Especially given how much comic book artists love drawing boobs.

Yes but I have it on very good authority that dicks are icky and gross, whereas boobs are pretty neat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From today's Batman and Robin.
It was nice of Patrick Gleason to give his six year old nephew a panel to draw :)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

After seeing that Native American story in that Daredevil issue with Wolverine and Echo, seeing it blurted out in one panel just looks lazy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of which, the blurry redhead really looks like Matt Murdock in that panel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

After seeing that Native American story in that Daredevil issue with Wolverine and Echo, seeing it blurted out in one panel just looks lazy.

DC Comics: Always willing to lazily redo Marvel's cool poo poo.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Urdnot Fire posted:

Speaking of which, the blurry redhead really looks like Matt Murdock in that panel.

I saw this post before the full page, and for a moment I thought the blown-up panel was a really lazy panel of Matt Murdock and The Punisher.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite comic when I was little was Sonic the Comic, which I sperged over in the underrated runs thread. There were a few really great artists on the series and Richard Elson was probably the most prominent. He did this terrific version of Super Sonic as a fiendish killing machine, which was the focus of some of the comic's most popular stories.

Check it out, from Sonic the Comic #80:

Oh man, I loved those comics so, so much, and that panel especially has stuck with me for years. I still have a folder full of them, including a bunch with the Decap Attack comic in them. Who would have thought that such an obscure game would make such a good comic?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nigel Dobbyn (who drew most of the Knuckles strips) didn't have as many big splash pages as Elson, but his stuff was great as well. All painted, as far as I'm aware.

Here's one I found on GIS of Knuckles riding a pterodactyl (from Sonic the Comic #90):

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Metal Loaf posted:

Nigel Dobbyn (who drew most of the Knuckles strips) didn't have as many big splash pages as Elson, but his stuff was great as well. All painted, as far as I'm aware.

Here's one I found on GIS of Knuckles riding a pterodactyl (from Sonic the Comic #90):

The planet Sonic lives on is called Mobius

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
Murata Yuusuke just finished another chapter of Onepunch Man. Can't decide if it would be better with color.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TwoPair posted:

The only thing I've really ever read by him is Marvels (I keep meaning to get around to Kingdom Come, the other big famous Ross work, but just hasn't happened yet).

Go read it. I still consider it when of my favorite comics of all time.

The Midniter posted:

I liked it much better than Marvels and I'm not usually much of a DC fan.

thespaceinvader posted:

QFT. Marvels was good, Kingdom Come is absolutely fantastic.

Beaten badly, like Wolverine in an X-Men movie.

Not sure why Alex Ross catches so much poo poo, really. I get that some people just don't like the photo-realistic style but, unlike most "poster artists" his story-telling is usually about at as good as his rendering, although I find it can get a little busy at times. His pacing is good and his page breakdowns are pretty solid. I don't care much about his over reliance on photos since he takes his own, he takes pretty good ones and he usually has a knack for picking the right model(s) for the characters.

The only thing about Ross that bugs me is his constant over-reliance on dramatic lighting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My main problem with Ross is that no matter how dynamic a scene is supposed to be, it just looks like he is painting posed people. Because he is painting posed people. It's good for covers and posters and such, but I'm not a huge fan of him as an interior artist.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I don't like Ross because his books look like an office Halloween party where everyone dressed as the Super Friends.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Karma Tornado posted:

I don't like Ross because his books look like an office Halloween party where everyone dressed as the Super Friends.
Something like this?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Except that's on purpose and hilarious.

Ross got overplayed for a little but the man is a great boon to the medium. Kingdom Come would not be the masterpiece it is without him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

Except that's on purpose and hilarious.

No, yeah, that's the joke I was making.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Ross got overplayed for a little but the man is a great boon to the medium. Kingdom Come would not be the masterpiece it is without him.

On one hand, Earth X is a result of him. On the other hand, so is the Earth X sequels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

No, yeah, that's the joke I was making.

On one hand, Earth X is a result of him. On the other hand, so is the Earth X sequels.

I'm fairly certain Jim Krueger was pitching Earth X before Ross got involved.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No, I remember that what happened is at cons post-Kingdom Come Ross would joke about wanting to do the same thing with Marvel. Then the jokes started sounding fun and he started sketching up ideas for future-Marvel guys as the other people got interested in the book. Then they created the story. And I personally think that Universe X was the better story of the trilogy (Paradise X was just nonsense) both for it's novel ideas, and it's "unified theory of the Marvel Universe" (Up to the official handbooks from the mid-80's).

When I was 18-20 I went through a phase where I only liked hyper realistic art in comics. I looked up to people like Alex Ross for their painting style. I eventually grew out of it, but I still appreciate it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That issue of JSA where KC Superman met regular Superman that was pencilled by Ross but inked and colored like a regular comic was utterly gorgeous, I wouldn't mind a few specials a year done like that.