Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Can someone identify the movie this GIF is from?

I've seen the GIF a bunch of different places, but they're all just saying 'oh look at this funny GIF I found somewhere'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Nessa posted:

I have a printer with Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black inks. I don't think that's the problem. :/
I can't give you an idea of the prevalence of the phenomenon, but I've had a couple of printers that would only use black ink for text and vectorized stuff. Anything with a color gradient in it, like a photo or any bitmap picture really, would force the printer into photo mode where black is made up from a mix of other colors.

In the olden days, this would always look like poo poo. Today, on a properly aligned printer, you wouldn't even know if it did it that way.

Also, not all black inks are pigmented and thus most of them will start to fade (to green indeed) over time with exposure to sunlight, just like the other colors.

Baking something in an oven is actually a reasonable simulation of accelerated aging for a lot of stuff, so maybe that's what you're seeing.

It isn't likely that there is a solution for you with your current setup.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is it possible to get a decent pocket knife for a low price that doesn't come with TACTICAL COOL BADASS MILITARY printed on the side of it so I feel like a real navy seal when i'm trying to open a box

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

muike posted:

Is it possible to get a decent pocket knife for a low price that doesn't come with TACTICAL COOL BADASS MILITARY printed on the side of it so I feel like a real navy seal when i'm trying to open a box

Swiss army knives are very useful without the suburban commando feel. Get a simple one with the blades you really need, rather than one with a device for removing nuclear warheads from horses shoes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

muike posted:

If you want to open boxes go buy a boxcutter. They work about a thousand times better and you're a lot less likely to cut yourself or gently caress up the contents of the box with them. If you need a general utility knife I recommend a cheap Benchmade. I got a model they've since discontinued as a gift a long time ago and it has stood up to a ton of abuse.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

muike posted:

Some of my colleagues have rescue tools that are heavy duty utility knives but aren't all Tacticlol. They have stuff like strap/cord cutters on and look pretty handy. I don't have any names though so can't help you there.

(They also often have the silly kind though, so you might feel the association is too strong.)

I'm partial to leatherman or gerber myself.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

muike posted:

Opinel?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

muike posted:

Sure, Gerber makes good knives, so does CRKT and lots of other brands. Just do an Amazon search for CRKT, I have the first or second knife that pops up and it's fine. It cost like 30 bucks and I got it at Wal-Mart. You can go to any sporting goods store or even the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or wherever and they will have tons of decent knives to choose from (along with a lot of ridiculous 64 function swiss army knives).

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Tiggum posted:

I use RSS feeds to keep track of sites I don't read frequently enough to keep up-to-date on, so often I'll want articles two or three months old to be in the list waiting for me to look at them, and I use more than one computer, so a web-based one would be good. Is there an online reader that lets me do that? Feedly only seems to keep articles for a month, so that's no good to me.

The Old Reader seems like it'd be a perfect fit given what you're looking for.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 28, 2013

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I've got something like 7 small denomination Starbucks gift cards that I've accumulated over the holidays. If I brought them into a Starbucks, would they be willing or able to combine them into one gift card?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Rockzilla posted:

I've got something like 7 small denomination Starbucks gift cards that I've accumulated over the holidays. If I brought them into a Starbucks, would they be willing or able to combine them into one gift card?

No idea if they'll do it in store, but you can actually do that yourself on the Starbucks website.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Penguissimo posted:

No idea if they'll do it in store, but you can actually do that yourself on the Starbucks website.

I didn't even think to check there, thanks!

\/\/ Thanks, but I pretty much only go to the 'Bucks when I have a gift card, I usually just make my own coffee. Besides, I don't even own a smartphone.

Rockzilla fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 28, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you use the app you can move it all onto one as well and simply pay from your phone, racking up reward points for free drinks. Might as well do it since you have gift cards.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Can I copy a movie off of an iPhone (not mine) to a computer (mine) without "sync"ing it or anything like that? I have no desire to vacuum up their music collection as well. I naively thought this would be an easy thing, like copying a file. Several hours and one divorce later, not looking so good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why don't you email it, or send it to Dropbox?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Bovril Delight posted:

Oddly that didn't even occur to me as a sane way to do a file transfer -- seriously, is this the way it goes in Mac-land? Trying now. She of course doesn't Dropbox. Hope the file isn't too large.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

It's generally a bad idea to try to send large files through e-mail.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://www.i-funbox.com/

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I keep a collar on my cat for various reasons, such as ID in the event that he escapes my apartment.

I've taken note that the collar has caused quite a bit of balding around his neck where the collar lays. The fur isn't totally gone, but it's noticeably thinner, and I can clearly see his skin through it. I know for a fact that his collar isn't too tight; I can fit three fingers under it. I've also never seen him display any obvious signs of discomfort while wearing it.

Is the balding normal? If I were to hypothetically remove the collar, would his neck fur return over time?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why is sports considered an integral part of news reporting? It seems to me kind of like if TV listings and movie reviews were treated as news. Those things might appear in a newspaper, but they never get mixed in with the local news or top headlines and they don't have dedicated segments on the TV news. Why is sport different?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tiggum posted:

Why is sports considered an integral part of news reporting? It seems to me kind of like if TV listings and movie reviews were treated as news. Those things might appear in a newspaper, but they never get mixed in with the local news or top headlines and they don't have dedicated segments on the TV news. Why is sport different?

Because enough people care about it that if Newspaper A didn't do it, people would buy Newspaper B (who does treat sports as a full section-worth, occasional front page-worthy topic) instead.

Lots of people are passionate about sports. When's the last time you saw 80,000 people queue up every week for a public exhibition of Mad Men?

A hugely popular movie series like Harry Potter might have a couple thousand people dressing up as their favorite character at a couple-times-per-year national convention. For something like college football, during the season you have about 50 division 1-A games every Saturday that have an average attendance of probably 40,000 ... and that's a fraction of the number of people who watch it on tv each week.
It's no surprise that the highest rated television events each year are sports related.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 28, 2013

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is there a healthcare/insurance thread? Not a political debate but more of a discussion and threads for questions about signing up for the Affordable Care Act.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about where you're from but here there's entire news programs devoted to movie and tv reviews and gossip, as well as most newspapers prominently featuring reviews of movies.

But TV listings aren't really "news" per se as everyone knows about them ahead of time. And there's only so many new movies released each week while in any major metro area there are going to be at least two or three major professional sports leagues at any one week minimum, with lots of related action happening, and at many times of years there will be sports that have professional games happening multiple times a week or even every single day.

There's always plenty of sports stuff to talk about, hence it gets in. Especially these days when it's possible to cover sports happenings all across a country, so even if it's an off night in one metro area it'll be an on night elsewhere.

And again, this might depend on where you're from, but in a lot of America the actual length of the sports sections in the paper and on TV/radio can vary a ton depending on whats going on. Talking going to as few as like 5 minutes or 4 pages of paper in the real off season.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

Is the balding normal? If I were to hypothetically remove the collar, would his neck fur return over time?

I think I would answer yes to both questions.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is it possible that, when there's a power surge, only one appliance out of many is wrecked?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spermando posted:

Is it possible that, when there's a power surge, only one appliance out of many is wrecked?

Extremely possible. Likely even.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Oddly that didn't even occur to me as a sane way to do a file transfer -- seriously, is this the way it goes in Mac-land? Trying now. She of course doesn't Dropbox. Hope the file isn't too large.

Image Capture does what you want and is built into OS X

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

No. 9 posted:

Is there a healthcare/insurance thread? Not a political debate but more of a discussion and threads for questions about signing up for the Affordable Care Act.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540057

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I have a 90s toy question.

Back sometime around the mid 90s, I bought a toy for a friend who had kids - it was a pair of hand puppets that had body parts attached by Velcro (or some like substance), and the game was to try and dismember the other person's puppet without having all your body parts torn off.

Now I have a daughter of my own, and I think she'd love this, but various Google searches along the lines of "velcro hand puppet game" have been fruitless. It seems like the sort of thing a crafty person could put together fairly easily, but does anyone have a name/link to the original item?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Is there a foreign snack exchange thread still?

I desire store brand chili lime peanuts from Quebec

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Has anyone used PODS or a similar service for a long distance move before?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
There are wild hares all over my city. Can I trap and eat them without trapping and killing neighborhood cats as well?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

tuyop posted:

There are wild hares all over my city. Can I trap and eat them without trapping and killing neighborhood cats as well?

I successfully snared rabbits in my backyard at my old house in town. It can be done.

It's not necessarily legal though. It wasn't legal where I did it but there was food running around in my backyard and I wanted to eat it, dammit.

EDIT: There's a potentially very long answer to your question but basically yes you can trap rabbits in a variety of ways that are safe for other animals, and yes you can eat wild rabbits but be aware that they carry Tularemia which can make you sick or even kill you. But pretty much every food kills at least a couple people per year you know? So I don't really think it's a big concern. I've killed and eaten plenty of rabbits even in the summer (supposedly you can't eat wild rabbits in the summer?) and as long as you know how to humanely kill a trapped animal (not easy or fun) and know how to butcher and clean and cook it, you're fine.

razz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 29, 2013

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

stubblyhead posted:

I used ABF/UPack and it was wayyy cheaper than PODS, even with my other uhaul costs included. 800+ miles, but it was a pretty small move (studio apartment).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Had a friend that did; the stuff was late by several weeks, but he used the cheapest possible service though, so maybe he got what he paid for. Still, I wouldn't recommend moving anything you 100% can't live without this way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

Had a friend that did; the stuff was late by several weeks, but he used the cheapest possible service though, so maybe he got what he paid for. Still, I wouldn't recommend moving anything you 100% can't live without this way.

Late, as in being delivered to the destination? I have a move planned for early next year, around 200 miles from where I am currently. PODS quoted me at 4 days transit, and U-Haul's similar service was 8. Mayflower is cheaper than PODS, but I'm not sure how long it takes to get from A to B yet. Regardless, I'm not sure why it takes so long to move something such a short distance.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you want your stuff delivered on time and undamaged your best bet is a point-to-point move. Pack and label everything beforehand so the movers just need to load and unload. If you're only going 200 miles you should be able to get the whole thing done in a day.

Have you looked into renting a truck and just moving yourself? If you've got a buddy or two willing to help that's probably the cheapest option. You're doing all the hard work loading a container anyway.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 29, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Late, as in being delivered to the destination? I have a move planned for early next year, around 200 miles from where I am currently. PODS quoted me at 4 days transit, and U-Haul's similar service was 8. Mayflower is cheaper than PODS, but I'm not sure how long it takes to get from A to B yet. Regardless, I'm not sure why it takes so long to move something such a short distance.

Yes, they picked it up but took much longer than quoted to deliver it. This was a Chicago -> Sacramento move.

4 days does seem long, but I assume part of that is optimizing shipping for cost and efficiency.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I recently had a move through a van/trucking line. They came and packed (three years ago, not at all related to the company) and loaded the poo poo and then dropped it off and unpacked it. A few things like glass lampshades and coffee mug handles broke. It was a 5000 kilometer move and would have cost me like 6000 if my employer hadn't done the whole thing.

If you have the means, it's by far the least stressful way to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I just saw the forest go up in flames in the original SFAM version of Final Fantasy V. How far am I through the game? I'm getting wildly different info on the game's length through internet searches.