Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mickey McKey posted:

fong posted:

You have the option to kill her later on anyway. I'd be interested to know if she still drops the gold and such if you'd already pickpocketed her of it.

I will keep you posted on my progress, then :D

The Matron did not have duplicates of anything I pickpocketed (Rogue Stones, some other gems, and a ring) after she was slayed by the Pit Fiend or whatever it was that she summoned.

fong posted:

I like to do it more because of the stat tomes you get in BG1. Starting BG2 with 19 (or 20) in your main stats is nice, particularly strength since then you can give that belt to someone else.

I ran a fairly thorough run of BG 1 a couple months ago when I got BGEE, but how many tomes are there to be had, for one who has not done the research? I remember getting a few but I have a feeling not all of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mickey McKey posted:

I ran a fairly thorough run of BG 1 a couple months ago when I got BGEE, but how many tomes are there to be had, for one who has not done the research? I remember getting a few but I have a feeling not all of them...

I think it's just 1 for each stat, except for Wisdom which gets 3.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Does the EEkeeper work with the steamversion of BG? I'm having trouble installing it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So I just rolled into Nashkel with my paladin, and this time when I dropped Xzar and Mandaron instead of just making some pithy comment and standing in place to be recruited at a later date, that rear end in a top hat wizard straight-up threatened me and they both stormed out of the inn. Is this because I was playing a lawful good character, but went true neutral the first time?

Also, he stole my girdle of gender swapping :mad:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Emong posted:

I think it's just 1 for each stat, except for Wisdom which gets 3.

Sheeeiiiit I only knew about a couple, guess I have to consult google and/or goons a bit better next time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Oblivious posted:

It has been an eternity since I've tooled around in BG1, is it possible to kill Firebeard in the EE without aggroing all of Candlekeep? I seem to recall it being doable in BG1, but maybe the EE cracked down on my lust for murdering old people.

Anybody have in depth insights on pathological hatreds of the elderly?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
So what's a good weapon combo for a clanger? Other than the usual Flail of the ages/Crom Faeyr, is there anything interesting?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wolfsheim posted:

So I just rolled into Nashkel with my paladin, and this time when I dropped Xzar and Mandaron instead of just making some pithy comment and standing in place to be recruited at a later date, that rear end in a top hat wizard straight-up threatened me and they both stormed out of the inn. Is this because I was playing a lawful good character, but went true neutral the first time?

Also, he stole my girdle of gender swapping :mad:

It's your reputation, I think. I remember losing one point and it making the difference on whether Kagain stayed put or made fun of me for being a goody goody and disappeared.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

gender illusionist posted:

So what's a good weapon combo for a clanger? Other than the usual Flail of the ages/Crom Faeyr, is there anything interesting?

Runehammer is a decent swap-out option for the FOA as your main hand. And I prefer the Defender of Easthaven to CF in my off-hand, as permanent physical damage resist is more useful when you can buff your strength with cleric spells if you really need to, but DOE + Armour of Faith + Hardiness makes you the tankiest tank.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gender illusionist posted:

Defender of Easthaven works well alongside the spells Iron Skins and Armor of Faith. Add the HLA Hardiness later on and you've got one of the best tanks in the game. You can use that + shield earlier then move to offhanding DoE and mainhanding Flail of Ages in TOB since a lot of the tougher enemies have THAC0 low enough to hit you regardless of your AC.

Other benefits of being the tank is casting Nature's Beauty - it only has a short radius but if you're the focus of everything you'll hit them all.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Anybody have in depth insights on pathological hatreds of the elderly?

EE did change something so Candlekeep aggro'd on me no matter what I did, but he's fair game if you go to Beregost and just kite him on the stairs in his house.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I really hate how FoA +5 gets free action, which when you are used to going around with characters wearing boots of speed with extra haste cast on top means you have one character crawling along behind everyone else. Ugh.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
So having gotten Enhanced Edition 1 & 2 for Christmas, I decided on Elf Fighter/Thief for a new playthrough. I plan on taking the character through both games and I have a few questions.

For the ranged option, I realize shortbows end up being than longbows in the long-term, but is the difference really that great?

What damage modifiers actually work with Backstab (I remember reading that STR modifiers don't apply)

Is Set Snares worth it in the first game, or should I wait for the second game before investing in that?

I'm thinking of using the Wild Mage and Monk NPCs. Do they appear in BG2 as well? I'm guessing using that INT tome on the wild mage won't carry over if so.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mickey McKey posted:

The Matron did not have duplicates of anything I pickpocketed (Rogue Stones, some other gems, and a ring) after she was slayed by the Pit Fiend or whatever it was that she summoned.

I believe EE patched out the duplicate item exploit across the board, so you'll only ever get one Ring of Gaxx / Ring of the Ram / etc.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Colgate posted:

So having gotten Enhanced Edition 1 & 2 for Christmas, I decided on Elf Fighter/Thief for a new playthrough. I plan on taking the character through both games and I have a few questions.

For the ranged option, I realize shortbows end up being than longbows in the long-term, but is the difference really that great?

No. Bows and Crossbows are actually pretty lovely in BG2:EE because Overhaul has changed most other ranged weapons (throwing daggers, slings, and axes, but not darts) to receive a damage bonus from Strength. Combine that with the fact that Bows and Crossbows generally do not get enchantment bonuses to damage on either the launcher or the ammunition in BG2 (though they do in BG1), and the fact that the elemental bonus damage on several types of Bow ammunition was nerfed pretty severely (Fire and Ice arrows from 1d6 elemental bonus damage to 1d2, Acid from 2d6 to 1d3) and Bow/Crossbow damage really drops off significantly in BG2 compared to BG1.

For that reason, it doesn't matter too much which option you pick. Short Bows are generally considered the best option because they have the 2 base APR of Bows rather than the 1 base APR of Crossbows, and (even in BG2:EE) you can exploit the Short Bow of Gesen to get an additional 1d8 Electrical damage with whatever ammunition you choose to use. Firetooth is the Crossbow equivalent of this, with its 1d8 + (2 Fire) damage applying even when you use an equipped bolt.

Colgate posted:

What damage modifiers actually work with Backstab (I remember reading that STR modifiers don't apply)

Backstab damage = ((base damage + proficiency bonus + item enchantment bonus + Skald bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplier + strength bonus ) x critical hit multiplier + additional weapon damage (e.g. the elemental damage from the Flail of Ages)

Colgate posted:

Is Set Snares worth it in the first game, or should I wait for the second game before investing in that?

No idea, sorry.

Colgate posted:

I'm thinking of using the Wild Mage and Monk NPCs. Do they appear in BG2 as well? I'm guessing using that INT tome on the wild mage won't carry over if so.

Yes, they do. Nothing you do to non-PC characters will carry over from game to game in the EEs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

When Yoshimo died in the Asylum I was planning on resurrecting him with his black heart, but I made it through the Asylum, Sahuagin Ciy, and Underdark with no troubles (I have Imoen and myself both dual-classed out of thief-types) so I am contemplating not bringing him back to the party. My party is myself as a swashbuckler turned fighter, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, and Sir Anomen. I have seen Keldorn named as a good party member, but is there anyone else anyone would suggest as a 6th? I am enjoying having a crazy good tank, a decent fighter/cleric (now that he has 16 wisdom), another cleric who is also a mage, and two more mages. I was tempted to swap Nalia for Edwin but I am pretty sure Edwin is evil which would be a headache.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mickey McKey posted:

When Yoshimo died in the Asylum I was planning on resurrecting him with his black heart, but I made it through the Asylum, Sahuagin Ciy, and Underdark with no troubles (I have Imoen and myself both dual-classed out of thief-types) so I am contemplating not bringing him back to the party. My party is myself as a swashbuckler turned fighter, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, and Sir Anomen. I have seen Keldorn named as a good party member, but is there anyone else anyone would suggest as a 6th? I am enjoying having a crazy good tank, a decent fighter/cleric (now that he has 16 wisdom), another cleric who is also a mage, and two more mages. I was tempted to swap Nalia for Edwin but I am pretty sure Edwin is evil which would be a headache.

You don't actually resurrect him with his heart unless that changed in BG2EE for some reason, he's dead for good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SheepNameKiller posted:

You don't actually resurrect him with his heart unless that changed in BG2EE for some reason, he's dead for good.

Oh. I thought I remembered hearing or seeing that you could bring him back. I guess it is good I am getting by with my existing thieving skills!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's a mod that brings him back, I believe.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mickey McKey posted:

I have seen Keldorn named as a good party member, but is there anyone else anyone would suggest as a 6th?
Keldorn is an excellent choice. He can use Carsomyr, one of the best weapons in the game, and his dispel and true sight abilities make mage fights trivial. Otherwise, I guess Minsc might be a good option since your party is so caster-heavy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Colgate posted:

Set snares is certainly useful in the first Baldur's Gate with two caveats:
-A misfiring snare can kill a thief in the very early levels so make sure you have 20+ hp or 100 in snares before using them. There's no point in investing over 100 btw, save that for hide in shadows/move silently.
-You only get a couple snares a day at low levels, making it harder to cheese encounters with ridiculous death traps.

I suggest having a mage cast invisibilty on a thief with 100 in detect traps. Have them scout ahead, disarm any traps and then get your F/T to plant your own booby traps and lure the enemy into an ambush. This becomes incredibly useful in Durlag's Tower. There's not much point to setting up ambushes in wilderness areas, but they are extremely helpful for protecting a wounded party if you need to rest and replenish spells.

Edit: Also a bit of advice that I recently learned the hard way during an ongoing ironman run: Don't plant snares when fighting opponents that can charm your party. I think you can guess what happened... :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 27, 2013

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Factor_VIII posted:

Keldorn is an excellent choice. He can use Carsomyr, one of the best weapons in the game, and his dispel and true sight abilities make mage fights trivial. Otherwise, I guess Minsc might be a good option since your party is so caster-heavy.

Minsc is so cool I will try to keep him around with my evil barbarian dude.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Stumiester posted:

I really hate how FoA +5 gets free action, which when you are used to going around with characters wearing boots of speed with extra haste cast on top means you have one character crawling along behind everyone else. Ugh.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I just edited it and deleted the immunity to movementrate and haste right off of there, because gently caress the +5 version being a downgrade from the +4 version.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Anyone else playing on iOS noticing weird bugs? For example, I can never scroll down to view item descriptions in the identify menu or scroll the item list, so I have to rearrange stuff to be able to identify which sucks.

Another thing, is it possible to view a list of the status effects on party members? The icons show but if you don't know what the icon is you're outta luck as far as I can tell.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

ashgromnies posted:

Another thing, is it possible to view a list of the status effects on party members? The icons show but if you don't know what the icon is you're outta luck as far as I can tell.

Status effects are listed with their icon on the affected character's info screen (the one you level up on.)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

ashgromnies posted:

Anyone else playing on iOS noticing weird bugs? For example, I can never scroll down to view item descriptions in the identify menu or scroll the item list, so I have to rearrange stuff to be able to identify which sucks.

The 1.2 patch on iOS broke scrolling in merchant screens, so that scrolling either goes far too fast or not at all. In the identify screens, tap the up and down arrows on the scrollbar.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone give me some insight into a Kensai/Mage? I don't really understand dual-classing very well. For example when i dual class i know i get all my other classes progress back, but does my fighter stop advancing there? Also when i dual class from kensai->mage am i forever forbidden from using swords again?

Or would it be better to do a multi-class half-elf ranger/cleric?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 28, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Man, BG2EE is my first return to the game in years and I forgot how loving terrible Beholders are. Either you totally trivialize them with stuff that cheeses them on a fundamental level(Cloak of Reflection/Balduran Shield) and they might as well not exist, you blow a billion buff spells for every fight with a couple of Gauths that don't even really work anyway, or you get rear end hosed and murdered because they generally come in packs and aren't remotely as easy to shut out as conventional mages/clerics unless you're cheesing. Ugh.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone give me some insight into a Kensai/Mage? I don't really understand dual-classing very well. For example when i dual class i know i get all my other classes progress back, but does my fighter stop advancing there? Also when i dual class from kensai->mage am i forever forbidden from using swords again?

Or would it be better to do a multi-class half-elf ranger/cleric?

Dual-Classing works like this: you level up your Kensai until you decide to Dual-Class (let's say level 9.)

Your Kensai stops levelling at level 9. You lose access to all of your Kensai stuff (including equippable Kensai items, like swords) until your Mage levels reaches 10. Once that happens, all of your Kensai stuff comes back and you can use it in conjunction with your Mage levels, but you never progress further in the Kensai class.

As to whether or not you should do that or MC Ranger/Cleric, that's really a question of the character you want to play. As people have said already, a MCed Ranger/Cleric is pretty mean. The difference in character progression is that multi-classed characters level slower than a single class, because experience is split between Ranger and Cleric in this example.

edit: Thanks for the correction, my bad!

Archonic fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 28, 2013

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Archonic posted:

Dual-Classing works like this: you level up your Kensai until you decide to Dual-Class (let's say level 9.)

Your Kensai stops levelling at level 9. You lose access to all of your Kensai stuff (including equippable Kensai items, like swords) until your Mage levels reaches 9. Once that happens, all of your Kensai stuff comes back and you can use it in conjunction with your Mage levels, but you never progress further in the Kensai class.

Your mage has to get to level 10 before you would get your Kensai stuff back.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Archonic posted:

Your Kensai stops levelling at level 9. You lose access to all of your Kensai stuff (including equippable Kensai items, like swords) until your Mage levels reaches 9. Once that happens, all of your Kensai stuff comes back and you can use it in conjunction with your Mage levels, but you never progress further in the Kensai class.

As to whether or not you should do that or MC Ranger/Cleric, that's really a question of the character you want to play. As people have said already, a MCed Ranger/Cleric is pretty mean. The difference in character progression is that multi-classed characters level slower than a single class, because experience is split between Ranger and Cleric in this example.

Thank you for the explanation.

I was looking to play a good themed character, honestly i am looking for some thing melee, that i can also use some form of spells. I do not understand all the nuances of the game and its systems, but i enjoy the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

UberJumper posted:

I was looking to play a good themed character, honestly i am looking for some thing melee, that i can also use some form of spells. I do not understand all the nuances of the game and its systems, but i enjoy the game.

Paladin might fit you then. Simplest option is a fighter/mage dual though. Kensai/Mage is nooooot a good first build for a new player. I'd wait till you have the magic system down pat (which you will after a playthrough or two).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

UberJumper posted:

Probably better to go with a Fighter/Mage or Rager/Cleric multiclass if you're inexperienced. Kensai/Mage is more powerful in the end-game, but you have to spend all of BG1 as a Kensai and the start of BG2 as a pure Mage before you can become a warrior that can cast spells. A Fighter/Mage multiclass also has the advantage of being able to access all the warrior high level abilities.

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

UberJumper posted:

MC Fighter/Mage is a lot of fun and simple to understand, as people have said. I just ran through the entirety of BGEE/BG2EE that way and had a great time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Black Pits are pretty great, imo. Strange difficulty progression (in the first tier I had the most trouble with spider-spawning drow and caster vampires but the gith and sahuagin were a cakewalk) but that might just be my party composition (SS monk / inquisitor / FM / TM / FC / dragon disciple). The power of casters is tempered by the incredible expense of keeping their spell books updated, plus without casting time-reducing equipment you have to choose your casting order carefully. Since there's no spell prep (not even sequencers or contingencies, they're eaten by dead magic outside the arena), tanks actually gain a lot of value. And there's usually some non-apparent twist to a lot of the encounters (many involve spawning multiple lesser enemies on death). A lot more fun than SCS, in any event. Bring a monk! You level so fast that they become indispensable in short order. I'm tempted to run a full monk party (with maybe a support sorceror for emergencies).

Kanos posted:

Man, BG2EE is my first return to the game in years and I forgot how loving terrible Beholders are. Either you totally trivialize them with stuff that cheeses them on a fundamental level(Cloak of Reflection/Balduran Shield) and they might as well not exist, you blow a billion buff spells for every fight with a couple of Gauths that don't even really work anyway, or you get rear end hosed and murdered because they generally come in packs and aren't remotely as easy to shut out as conventional mages/clerics unless you're cheesing. Ugh.
The underdark is just a barrel of fun. Thank Christ the hive is entirely optional. Even when you've got someone covered with the shield of Balduran they can still eat an imprisonment via one of the several elder orbs. I got lucky.

(only about 30-40% of the beholders in that area are shown here)

Another great thing about beholders is that hold spells restrict movement and standard actions but not innate abilities, so a successful hold spell won't keep a beholder from lobbing a thousand lightning bolts per round at you.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 28, 2013

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

The underdark is just a barrel of fun. Thank Christ the hive is entirely optional. Even when you've got someone covered with the shield of Balduran they can still eat an imprisonment via one of the several elder orbs. I got lucky.

Another great thing about beholders is that hold spells restrict movement and standard actions but not innate abilities, so a successful hold spell won't keep a beholder from lobbing a thousand lightning bolts per round at you.

Confusion and Chaos work properly on Beholders, interrupting their eyebeam spam. Last few times I ran through BG2 I used a very high MR character to solo them (ItemRevisions heavily nerfs the cloak and shield) with some help from Animate Dead skeleton warriors. The Elder Orb Imprisonment is dangerous but it's a touch range spell and so long as you keep your distance it won't be a major issue.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Basic Chunnel posted:

The good news is that you can cast freedom from anywhere in the area to free the imprisoned character. So you can have a single fighter roaming around killing beholders with the rest of your party chilling at the entrance to the hive. Just make sure not to have your main be the one roaming around with the shield of balduran, and read the freedom scroll using project image so you don't use up your scroll.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

UberJumper posted:

I'd recommend a multiclass Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric, depending on whether you'd prefer arcane or divine spellcasting. Both options will be strong throughout both games and are solid melee fighters as well as spellcasters. Dual classing is kinda power-gamey, the mechanics are a little confusing, and your character will probably spend a good chunk of time playing catch up without access to their starting class's abilities.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Archonic posted:

MC Fighter/Mage is a lot of fun and simple to understand, as people have said. I just ran through the entirety of BGEE/BG2EE that way and had a great time.

That's what I played for my first playthrough last month and it was a total blast. I also think it's overall stronger than Kensai/Mage at endgame just due to the Fighter HLAs. Mine was pretty much immortal since he could just fire up Hardiness if a fight lasted long enough for his 8000 self buffs to all wear off.

You also don't spend a chunk of time being loving useless when you dual over to the mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I kinda feel a lot of the Kensai/Mage hype is a leftover from all the way back before Throne of Baal was released. Having access to fighter HLA's just makes the multiclass option a lot better in terms of melee combat at the end game. Kensai/Mage still chops up the SoA portions a lot better and gets spellcasting going faster, but I think that Fighter/Mage is the overall better option long term.