Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

xzzy posted:

Hokusai is the best sampler I know of on iOS. It does everything in wav and has dropbox and "open in" functionality.

Not sure if it exposes samples via iTunes but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

This looks good, thanks! Hope it works well as the screens would imply because it looks great.

Dropbox support is great. All I need is to be able to record to WAV/AIFF/Apple Lossless and get it off my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three33
Aug 16, 2013

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for games in the style of candy crush but without the obnoxious f2p mechanics? Apparently my mom enjoys it but hates waiting and refuses to buy up (yay!).

Try this: When you run out of lives, leave the game, go into general settings and set the time ahead a few hours. Now switch back to the game and there should be more lives. Then you just need to go back to settings and switch the time back.

It's pretty obnoxious, but it works.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there a way to disable Facebook's auto-playing of videos? I was just browsing earlier and one video caused my 5s to stall out for about 5 seconds and nothing was responding, not even the home button.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
You can go to settings>Facebook and from there hit the switch to only auto-play on wifi connection. Other than that there is no way to turn it off entirely.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Never been a better time to get the gently caress off of Facebook.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It seems like every couple months a new great reason to delete facebook accounts hits the news and yet they keep on truckin on. I get that there's value in the way they connect people with everyone they want to connect to, but man does it have a high price.

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Any suggestions on a keepass compatible app that can read the kdbx file? Mini keepass seems to be the only one so far on the App Store.

From a few days ago but I use SyncPass. There's only an iPhone app but it Just Works(TM) which is more than I can say about all the other apps that I've tried - KyPass and MiniKeePass to name but 2. Admittedly it's been a while since I used anything else so these may have gotten better recently. SyncPass works flawlessly in both directions with Dropbox.

It's amazing how crappy the apps are for this use case.

zegadeth
May 14, 2006
Double life!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-hd/id668354926?ls=1&mt=8

anybody use this air video HD app?

I think from the description it will allow me to watch stuff i have on my pc while im away and connected to the internet?

this is the main feature im looking for,anyone know an app that definitely does this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zegadeth posted:

I think from the description it will allow me to watch stuff i have on my pc while im away and connected to the internet?

this is the main feature im looking for,anyone know an app that definitely does this?

I had no idea the devs of Air Video made a follow up/improved app.

If it is anything like the original Air Video, it'll do what you're looking for perfectly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Thwomp posted:

I had no idea the devs of Air Video made a follow up/improved app.

If it is anything like the original Air Video, it'll do what you're looking for perfectly.

I'm still using the original AirVideo. When I looked it wasn't really clear what was improved in the "HD" version as the original is already ipad-optimized.

There's probably back-end improvements because you have to install a different server app that isn't backwards compatible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

I'm still using the original AirVideo. When I looked it wasn't really clear what was improved in the "HD" version as the original is already ipad-optimized.

There's probably back-end improvements because you have to install a different server app that isn't backwards compatible.

I too still have the original air video. It looks like the major update is the ability to airplay 1080p live converted video (720p was the max) and a ui overhaul.

But some of the reviews also talk about being unable to handle ac3 so I'll have to check it out some more.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

xzzy posted:

It seems like every couple months a new great reason to delete facebook accounts hits the news and yet they keep on truckin on. I get that there's value in the way they connect people with everyone they want to connect to, but man does it have a high price.

I don't know the auto play videos is definitely more engaging for the user who may not be interested by the thumb and I think it's clearly what the masses prefer. I like it a lot.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
As an iOS noob, I have a pretty basic question. On android, any apps I've ever downloaded/purchased show up under my apps on my android devices and I could download whenever I wanted. If I deleted an app I could go download it again at no cost later. Does the iOS App Store work the same? I know you can download direct to devices now. If I buy some games but dont want to use up all my space on a tablet, does it keep track of my purchases? Is it better to purchase the games through iTunes on my PC and download the big files there (can you do that)?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah you can go to your purchase history in the app store app and redownload any apps you've bought in the past - it also lists free apps.

And if you're prepared to use iTunes on your computer you can move apps on and off your device while keeping a copy of the app files on your computer.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Dave posted:

I don't know the auto play videos is definitely more engaging for the user who may not be interested by the thumb and I think it's clearly what the masses prefer. I like it a lot.

I don't really mind it on a desktop PC but Facebook is not really good at coding their iOS/Android apps and I get the feeling they never really test anything for bugs.

ZShakespeare posted:

:rolleyes: gently caress right off

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

xzzy posted:

Even if they wanted to move away from FB (believe me, regular people don't), where would they go? Google+ is somehow loving way worse and creepier, and all these "Open source alternatives" are, I imagine, poo poo (because I've never heard of anyone using Diaspora or whatever the gently caress it's called).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't know, don't care. :v:

If people are content with being made a product in exchange for chatting with friends, more power to 'em. It just creeps me out every time Facebook is talked about in the news.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

xzzy posted:

Don't know, don't care. :v:

If people are content with being made a product in exchange for chatting with friends, more power to 'em. It just creeps me out every time Facebook is talked about in the news.

I completely agree, but this is not the thread for that discussion. People love their drat facebooks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lexicon posted:

I completely agree, but this is not the thread for that discussion. People love their drat facebooks.

What are the best alternatives to the official facebook app these days? I'm thinking of starting one again but having to deal with the app could change that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Safari :v:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey guys, can anyone recommend me an app simlar to Yatse on android? Its an XBMC remote (there are lots of them on the app store) but the paid version has this great feature which lets you select a movie or tv show or anything you have on the XBMC server and then play it locally through UPnP, tossing it to whatever media player you have installed (currently have Media Extreme or something like that.. I forgot). Is there anything like this for iOS?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Even if they wanted to move away from FB (believe me, regular people don't), where would they go? Google+ is somehow loving way worse and creepier, and all these "Open source alternatives" are, I imagine, poo poo (because I've never heard of anyone using Diaspora or whatever the gently caress it's called).

Oh man what was that thing people did before the internet, like even ten years ago? I can't remember what that was called.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
If I want to talk to my family or friends, I'll just call, email or Skype with them -- I really don't care what my cousin had for lunch or how my aunt feels about some random celebrity or what my friend's cat is doing or whatever and that's all they ever post. This might just be because I'm old and decrepit but I never really understood the point of Facebook.

e: I'm just old aren't I :(

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

the kawaiiest posted:

If I want to talk to my family or friends, I'll just call, email or Skype with them -- I really don't care what my cousin had for lunch or how my aunt feels about some random celebrity or what my friend's cat is doing or whatever and that's all they ever post. This might just be because I'm old and decrepit but I never really understood the point of Facebook.

You watch cartoons. You aren't old, just smug.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Thanks for sharing, anyone else got any cool reasons why they don't use Facebook? Seems relevant to videos auto-playing in the app.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slogsdon posted:

You watch cartoons. You aren't old, just smug.

Is it my turn to guess what kind of person you are based on your avatar and internet posts?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do me next!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bought the new Tweetbot and I'm rather disappointed. The night theme is good and long overdue. The circle avatars are horrible and reminds me of the PS Vita, but at least I can turn it off. Not much of this is an improvement.

Any idea how to toggle between websites and "mobile" (e.g. Readability) views? The old Tweetbot had a toggle for it but now the option is buried in the settings menu and you can't change it on the go.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Any idea how to toggle between websites and "mobile" (e.g. Readability) views? The old Tweetbot had a toggle for it but now the option is buried in the settings menu and you can't change it on the go.

This is one of the few reasons I switched back to the old Tweetbot. I never had any complaints about it in the first place so why not.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zegadeth posted:

The program that you want is StreamToMe. Costs around $3 last I checked but the playback is way better than air video/airplayit. You can also use it as a pass through to Apple TV if you don't want to set up your network to pull from your computer directly.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

Bought the new Tweetbot and I'm rather disappointed. The night theme is good and long overdue. The circle avatars are horrible and reminds me of the PS Vita, but at least I can turn it off. Not much of this is an improvement.

I use TweetBot 2 and I don't know what you mean here? Where is the setting?

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Vegetable posted:

I actually asked them on twitter about this and, as long as you've got the mobile view setting setup, tap and hold on the title bar to switch between them. Not very straightforward but it works.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh man what was that thing people did before the internet, like even ten years ago? I can't remember what that was called.

I don't know because back then the internet was just full of rear end in a top hat sarcastic nerds, not regular people facebooking

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I don't know if this is the right thread or not so apologies if I'm in the wrong. For the past few years I've been using a Samsung Fascinate as my phone, which has finally pretty much bit the dust. I've been using an Android app called Pocket (not the one formerly known as Read It Later) to store my passwords. It's nice because creates a hashed database in my Dropbox meaning that using either the native Windows client or the Java client I can access my passwords from my desktop or laptop.

I've decided to replace my phone with an iPhone 5C, which naturally means a few hiccups as I move between smartphone environments I'm currently looking to see if there's an app that will let me access this Dropbox database (which claims to be in "SecureWallet" format) in order to smooth the transition of my passwords from Android to iOS. In the event that no such app exists, I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good password app that will let me sync between multiple iOS devices as well as Mac and Windows.

Thanks so much :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
The goto app is 1password - I've not heard of Pocket or seen support to import it into Keepass, 1password, or lastpass but you might have luck checking for support forum posts on import/export for pocket. (you're probably hosed)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mad Wack posted:

The goto app is 1password - I've not heard of Pocket or seen support to import it into Keepass, 1password, or lastpass but you might have luck checking for support forum posts on import/export for pocket. (you're probably hosed)

Alright, thanks. I grabbed lastpass since it was free and exported the data off of Pocket so I'll set that up instead.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

the kawaiiest posted:

When I last used it, it was a replacement for snail mail correspondence for me. I went back to snail mail for those people who you don't really call or see, but still want to stay in touch with once in a whiles. The problem there is that a lot of those people don't respond, and many of them rent property, so their addresses change fairly often.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lastpass is better that 1password in my opinion, but I think you have to pay subscription.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Well, since CheckbookHD appears to have no support from the developers, does anyone have any suggestions for a checkbook register that cloud syncs and also offers an OS X desktop companion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there an easy way to save all of your iOS 7 text messages to a text document in OS X? Searching so far just turns up jailbreaking, scammy looking paid apps, etc.

• Locked thread