Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Read posted:

You could get to the hardest wave pretty reliably in SP playing with spells, but that's about the only way to do it reliably other than weird poo poo with cannons and wiring.
You could when you could rely on the inferno fork and specter armor healing you to obscene amounts, but getting all the enemies to line up like that into your damage radius also meant you basically couldn't dodge. Now that specter armor healing is capped, it's not a viable strategy if you want to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought you could get the Pumpkin moon items on any wave, they just have increased chances to drop the further you go?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

I thought you could get the Pumpkin moon items on any wave, they just have increased chances to drop the further you go?

Except for the trophies this is true. The trophies only spawn in wave 15, at a rate of 100%. I've hit wave 15 once solo, but the night ended like 3 seconds later so the two mourning woods that stuck around didn't count as being in wave 15.

E: gently caress my typing

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 20, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ashsaber posted:

the two mourning woodsthat suck around didn't count as being in wave 15.

A truly fortuitous typo

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

TerryLennox posted:

Dyes stack. Try stocking dyes...see how many chests you need.
Dyes don't stack because they're items that go into your inventory slots. Nothing that goes into inventory slots stacks. Armor doesn't, vanity items don't, accessories don't.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Really dig this update, but the event is harder than the pumpkin moon. Also got a candy cane pickaxe :3:.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Is there a practical reason to stop the spread of corruption in hardmode? Does the destruction of the different biomes get rid of their chests/bosses?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Friendly Factory posted:

Is there a practical reason to stop the spread of corruption in hardmode? Does the destruction of the different biomes get rid of their chests/bosses?

The only biome you really have to worry about losing is the above/underground jungle. Chests won't be affected but no jungle = no jungle enemies = say goodbye to their drops. I think you can also potentially screw yourself out of being able to fight a hardmode boss that only spawns and can only be fought in the underground jungle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What tier of equipment is good for taking on Eye of Cthulhu? I thought a golden bow with flaming arrows would do it but that son of a bitch just has too much HP.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

What tier of equipment is good for taking on Eye of Cthulhu? I thought a golden bow with flaming arrows would do it but that son of a bitch just has too much HP.

Golden Bow + Any Arrows is plenty strong, Shurikens can also do the job fairly easy. Give it another shot and make sure you're making good use of the terrain to avoid damage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel like this game really lost a lot of momentum somehow. A new update hit with weapons and tools and a new event and it just seems to be sliding by. Maybe it was just that picking it up totally fresh for the 1.2 update gave it such new life that picking it up again, already mostly exhausted of content, just to check out a few new things like this isn't as enticing?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Speedball posted:

Gold armor and shurikens. Lots of shurikens.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gold armor is excessive, you can easily solo everything up to skeletron in iron.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I AM THE LORD OF THIS PLACE. WHAT DO YOU SEEK?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I feel like this game really lost a lot of momentum somehow. A new update hit with weapons and tools and a new event and it just seems to be sliding by. Maybe it was just that picking it up totally fresh for the 1.2 update gave it such new life that picking it up again, already mostly exhausted of content, just to check out a few new things like this isn't as enticing?

It's a smaller update coupled with what people generally consider to be the successor to Terraria now in a fairly playable state. Terraria is also suffering from the same sort of problem that WoW has, in that people are good enough at the game or have sufficient resources; either ingame objects(whether it's gear or consumables) or out of game information(wikis, etc), that they are able to blow through the content that does get added extremely quickly.

Personally I had a great time playing through the 1.2 content on a new character, and that lasted me a good while; it certainly didn't last as long as my earlier playthroughs because I'm familiar with the game but I didn't steamroll everyhing in a couple of hours, but most of the other people I was talking to that were also playing the game were using their old characters who were tooled up with endgame equipment who did go and blow through everything extremely quickly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

benzine posted:

Really dig this update, but the event is harder than the pumpkin moon. Also got a candy cane pickaxe :3:.

Frost moon does not mess around. I tried doing what I did with the pumpkin moon - connecting solo to a server run on my PC so I could keep re-setting the time to midnight for an infinite night. I still blew through my supplies and had used up a full stack of greater health potions before taking out my second snow queen. After that I couldn't leave my spawn without something immediately slaughtering my 100-HP self, and I knew I was done.

The nerf to spectre armour is probably a big part of that though. I couldn't just leave a nimbus cloud over the crowd of minions below and be immortal.

I guess I'll have to gather some friends!

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
After you get the magic weapon for the tree, a spectre armor setup is possible.

And if you're playing in a server you can leave and the event will be there.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Pumpkin Moon is pretty doable with a ranger build. I just kitted myself out with rocket stuff with damage mods and it's almost trivial if you keep moving and stuff. The Specter armor was way to strong with the health leech so I'm kinda glad it got changed. Magic already has some of the best weapons and a very easy ammo system to manage, so to me it feels better balanced.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
While my 2 attempts at FM didn't get past like wave 11 and 12, using Specter with nimbus, gold shower and bat scepter did let me get through while only using 3 greater heals total. If you use a trap arena with spiky balls and flame traps raining death then the event is really managable.I was able to just stay in my hidy hole, fire down piss and bats on the bosses below and just kinda chill until ice queens show up. The Queen is probably the only real hard part, and even that is lessened by homing weapons.

The spectre nerf isnt to bad, you only need a bit of dodging or breating room to get full health (best if you have a cross necklace).

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Frost Moon is kind of annoying because the Queens have 34000 HP and flies off-screen all the time. Elfcopters are by far the worst new enemies, they just plow through your HP and they're easy to miss in the number/projectile/spell storm on-screen.

I honestly cannot beat the second Queen before 4:30AM, I need friends to do this. At least my 3 tries gave me 2 christmas swords and a snowman launcher.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I couldn't even manage to spawn the frost moon. Nothing happened when I used the naught present. :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

watho posted:

I couldn't even manage to spawn the frost moon. Nothing happened when I used the naught present. :shrug:

It has to be at night.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

It has to be at night.

I know. I tried it for two nights in a row. During hardmode.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Holy poo poo, the Razorpine is loving amazing! Last night I got one and reforged it to Godly, a few minutes ago I tried it in a Frost Moon. It melts anything you point it at, including bosses. Like less than 5 seconds and Santa Tanks and Everscreams were dying. It was even taking off like 1/3 to 1/2 of an Ice Queen's health in one spin move. Anyone who goes magic really wants one of these, seriously.

Also managed to grab a North Pole tday, it seems pretty decent. I probably would have prefered either of the Ie Queen's other weapon drops (homing? Rocket launcher and highest single target DPS magic in the game) but the pole does have the advantage of carpet bombing stuff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

watho posted:

I know. I tried it for two nights in a row. During hardmode.

Do you have a Baby Snowman? According to the wiki there's a bug where having that out prevents the frost moon from starting. Might apply to other pets too.

Unrelated: I'm disappointed that the frost moon has no equivalent to Spooky Wood. If the night ends and none of the bosses ended up dropping items I feel like the whole thing was a waste of time. At least with the pumpkin moon there was a huge pile of unique material at the end. (You can even turn spooky wood into regular wood to save on tree-cutting)

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 22, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm getting the feeling that I just really suck at this game. Died to the Eye of Cthulhu three times in the process of killing it, died to the Goblin Army seven times at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

I'm getting the feeling that I just really suck at this game. Died to the Eye of Cthulhu three times in the process of killing it, died to the Goblin Army seven times at least.

It's a learning curve! All of those things slaughtered me tons when I first fought them too. As you get better gear they'll get more and more trivial, and as you get more experienced with the game they'll give you less trouble on new characters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Do you have a Baby Snowman? According to the wiki there's a bug where having that out prevents the frost moon from starting. Might apply to other pets too.

Unrelated: I'm disappointed that the frost moon has no equivalent to Spooky Wood. If the night ends and none of the bosses ended up dropping items I feel like the whole thing was a waste of time. At least with the pumpkin moon there was a huge pile of unique material at the end. (You can even turn spooky wood into regular wood to save on tree-cutting)

Oh, yes I do. That would explain it. Thanks.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Speedball posted:

Eye of Cthulu can be tough until you get a handle on the game (skybridge really helps), but the goblin army is all about preparation. Try and find some lava and then you really only have to work about the magic-casting ones.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Trying to collect one of each item. I decided to make a world for storing all of these. I've been looking through some maps for a storage center but the ones I find seem to have one of every item in the game in them or are more ornate. Are there any maps that are just like ordered hallways filled with empty chests that I can fill as I go?

edit: Found one, hooray

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 23, 2013

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So yeah, I Severely doubt I have the firepower to reach night 15 or above in a single night just by myself. And seeing as I need sombody's ip address specifically to join a server, I don't really know where to start. Is there a steam group I can trust or anyone who would like to help eachother out?

Speaking of which, I have this whole mad setup I used for the Pumpkin moon involving floorplates and spiky ball dispencers to slaughter lesser enemies while I take care of the larger foes and I can't seem to get past wave 13 regardless. Anyone have any techniques to share?

Argable
Aug 18, 2012

Zereth posted:

I think it means you can't literally stand in one place for the entire moon though now.

I can personally confirm that it's still entirely possible to stand completely still and tank the pumpkin moon in specter gear. Tested it last night, though I didn't use heart or slime spawners and those could trivialize it even more. At that point it's just cranking out the damage to make it to wave 15.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Is there a good way to make fast cash in the Vita version? I bought a Minishark and it ended up having negative stats, reforged it and the stats got worse. I wanna make some money so I can buy a new one but I'm having trouble finding a good method.

From some web searching I've found that people tend to make small farms that generate creatures from statues, usually goldfish, and then sell the fish. My problem with this method is that I've found about 20 statues but haven't seen the fish one.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Murdering bosses and selling their drops should still be a good way to get money.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah selling demonite bars from the destroyer should make you 5-10 gold per boss kill, and if you have a ball o' hurt, vilethorn, or blade of grass, he'll die in like 30 seconds.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
:stonklol:Holy poo poo the Blizzard staff is ridiculous. I got one to mystical (15 gold or so base price for reforge) and decided to try it on the pumpkin moon. By the end of the event I had like 15 Pumpking trophies and 8 Mourning Wood trophies, as well as like an inventory's full of other boss drops. Just, holy poo poo.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I bought this game not too long ago and next thing I know I've sunk 40 hours into it. I've only got the Wall of Flesh left for bosses pre-hardmode, and I would like advice on what to prepare/stockpile before attempting that boss and activating hardmode.

The only thing I've been doing is planning the move of the house from underground to a bit into the sky.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well one thing I would do is organise a greenhouse of various herbs so you don't have to try and venture into the jungle if you need moonglow, also buliding an aboveground mushroom biome somewhere with a house would be a good investment.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 28, 2013

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
If you have the meteorite armor and a space gun, the Wall of Flesh won't be too bad. Should be no problem if you have a long bridge built down there. Do it out of ash, by the way, so you can harvest Fireblossoms when you need them.

You might want to move your house first. Make a mushroom biome above ground and build a house there. If you have some decent cash stored up, that will be useful. You can buy a great and hugely powerful spear right away from the guy that will move into the mushroom biome.

Build a house in the jungle too. You could also build arenas or skybridges, etc. for the various hardmode bosses if you want to. Depends on how much preparation you want to do really. You don't necessarily need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That Old Ganon posted:

I bought this game not too long ago and next thing I know I've sunk 40 hours into it. I've only got the Wall of Flesh left for bosses pre-hardmode, and I would like advice on what to prepare/stockpile before attempting that boss and activating hardmode.

The only thing I've been doing is planning the move of the house from underground to a bit into the sky.

Make sure you have the materials to make splunker potions. They are awesome and help a lot once you start getting the new ores.

• Locked thread