Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Banzuke is out, Osunaarashi still in Makuuchi!

http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/honbasho/banzuke/index

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Whoa, Kotooshu demoted to Sekiwake. He's been an Ozeki since 2006!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I thought he'd retire but I guess he's still trying to train:

quote:

Kotooshu, who has been demoted to sumo’s third-highest rank of sekiwake for next month’s New Year Grand Sumo Tournament, said Wednesday that his return to fitness from a dislocated shoulder is not progressing as quickly as he would like.

The Bulgarian said he is nowhere near ready for action after having his left shoulder dislocated in a match in November’s Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament.

“I have begun doing teppo (slapping and pushing exercises) and using resistance tubes, but I haven’t stepped into the ring yet,” Kotooshu told reporters at a public relations event for yogurt in Tokyo. “I don’t think I will make a quick recovery.”

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

I thought he'd retire but I guess he's still trying to train:

He needs to retire as a recent Ozeki, not a J10 or whenever he finally throws in the towel. He is so popular that he'll have a high-vis job in sumo in no time.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Kisenosato primed for promotion redux

Posted an article earlier in the thread in which the (creatively titled) Yokozuna Deliberation Council stated that a strong yusho (13+ wins AND the championship) would be the only scenario in which Kisenosato could be promoted.

They've slightly lowered the bar

quote:

The Japan Sumo Association’s Yokozuna Deliberation Council on Thursday explained what the ozeki will need to accomplish once the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament begins on Jan. 12. Kisenosato will need to earn his first Emperor’s Cup with a minimum of 13 victories or finish with a 14-1 with the only loss coming in the title-clinching bout

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Goddamnit. Why can't they just be consistent with these things? This moving target bullshit is infuriating. The least they could say would be that Kise's only loss be against Hakuho (since he's clearly a top 3 of all time wrestler). That would at least show they understand the extreme challenge in existing in a time when someone of Hakuho's caliber is also competing. But even then I'm not sure I'd be ok with it.

At this point, I feel really bad for Kise. He's already got immense pressure on himself simply because of his rank (not to mention his Japaneseness) and these fucks are only making it worse by constantly telling the public different things he has to do to be promoted which just makes him look weak and not up to the challenge. This moving goalpost poo poo will only bring doubt upon his qualifications as a yokozuna should he get promoted. Unless he just starts destroying everyone, that is, which I don't see happening.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Maybe they're getting back to their fuckery now that the J-PGA has taken the heat off of them.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm going to the middle Sunday of the Hatsu Basho. I got the best second floor seats. I guess we'll see if they're worth the 8000 yen price.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Show up at 10am, bring lunch, lots of beer and lots of coins and make silly bets on lower card fights.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Nah man, lunch is chanko-nabe!

Last time I went I got there around 12 and that was pretty much perfect. I had plenty of time to check the place out, get booze, food, etc. I also sat in front of a group of (what sounded like, at least) English teachers who were really loud and obnoxious. They were there for like an hour and then left before the last 2 or 3 bouts. Complaining about other foreigners makes me sound like a horrible nerd but gently caress it. It took me out of things when I was trying to enjoy some good matches.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Harumafuji's out for the entire tournament due to ligament concerns in his ankle

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oof. Was it an injury sustained in the last basho?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Omnikin posted:

Harumafuji's out for the entire tournament due to ligament concerns in his ankle

well that sucks :(

i guess if there was ever a time for kise to make that yokozuna push...

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

anakha posted:

Oof. Was it an injury sustained in the last basho?

Not sure, the article I read said he aggravated an old injury during training a few weeks back. No idea when the old injury occured

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Omnikin posted:

Well safe than sorry. Look what happened to Baruto (knee); it's not worth going in half-healed and really ruining yourself. Ligaments take a while to heal and doing full effort competition on a dodgy one may be career-ending.

Dr.Radical posted:

Nah man, lunch is chanko-nabe!

Last time I went I got there around 12 and that was pretty much perfect. I had plenty of time to check the place out, get booze, food, etc. I also sat in front of a group of (what sounded like, at least) English teachers who were really loud and obnoxious. They were there for like an hour and then left before the last 2 or 3 bouts. Complaining about other foreigners makes me sound like a horrible nerd but gently caress it. It took me out of things when I was trying to enjoy some good matches.

Where they British, Australian or American? I'm a dick and want to know.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Hahaha, the Kyokai has decided to monetize their overseas audience by replacing the free live feed with pay-per-view. With their usual business acumen, they're going to charge $10 per day, or the low, low price of $120 for a whole tournament. I don't think this is going to turn out very well.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Apraxin posted:

Hahaha, the Kyokai has decided to monetize their overseas audience by replacing the free live feed with pay-per-view. With their usual business acumen, they're going to charge $10 per day, or the low, low price of $120 for a whole tournament. I don't think this is going to turn out very well.

Man, that is really goddamned stupid.

Funkysauce posted:

Where they British, Australian or American? I'm a dick and want to know.

Pretty sure they were American. What was your guess? Australian? There was also a really high voiced English guy explaining sumo to his Japanese friends that was annoying too, though.

Edit: HOLY loving poo poo. I think you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 12, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Apraxin posted:

hopefully that doesn't stop araibira/kintamaya from doing vids :/

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

a false posted:

hopefully that doesn't stop araibira/kintamaya from doing vids :/

I most certainly think it will, since neither of them seemed to use NHK footage. I know Kintamayama started taking donations last basho. Maybe he'll continue doing this if he gets more?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

I most certainly think it will, since neither of them seemed to use NHK footage. I know Kintamayama started taking donations last basho. Maybe he'll continue doing this if he gets more?

Kintama isn't in Japan? Could've sworn he was for some reason.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Well for what it's worth Kintamayama has day 1 available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9hSt1u6RA

Haven't watched it yet (going to get breakfast first and have a proper morning) so I'm not sure if he addresses this new money issue

edit- hahaha suck a dick Kisenosato!

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 12, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think Day 1 needs to go see a sumo psychologist.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Two phrases to sum up today: first blood, and :lol:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
RIP chiyootori :stonk:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

RIP chiyootori :stonk:

I think it was actually Kyokushuho who started bleeding. I watched the extended araibira version first and it looked like Kyokushuho was bleeding from the forehead after leaving the dohyo. He kept wiping it with towels that the assistant handed him.

Edit: Or maybe his mouth, looking at a couple of photos...

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 13, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Kotooshu :unsmith:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Fryhtaning posted:

I think it was actually Kyokushuho who started bleeding. I watched the extended araibira version first and it looked like Kyokushuho was bleeding from the forehead after leaving the dohyo. He kept wiping it with towels that the assistant handed him.

Yeah I think that makes sense. There were a few possible head-bangs, and bleeding that much from your manboob is an odd injury when there's nothing to really cause it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Wow, that paywall is the worst way to go about this. I might pay that if it gave access to an HD version of the TV broadcasts, but I'm not paying $10 for a blurry stream. Do they at least let you view it on your own time, or is it still the same "stay up 'till 2am or miss it" stream as before only now it costs money?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

ah, alright. i couldn't tell where the blood was coming from on the video but jesus there was a lot of it

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It looks like we are pretty lucky that Kitanayama is still doing the recaps, he was pretty negative about the whole PPV thing in sumoforums. There are a few backups but none of them are as convenient as his stuff.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

It looks like we are pretty lucky that Kitanayama is still doing the recaps, he was pretty negative about the whole PPV thing in sumoforums. There are a few backups but none of them are as convenient as his stuff.

I would happily donate if he took up collections. Only needs $150 for the tourney and I'm sure 14 other people would throw him :10bux: for his time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

Kintama isn't in Japan? Could've sworn he was for some reason.

I thought he was because I saw some segment of him on Japanese TV on YouTube.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXJX0OnyjXw

nothing terribly unexpected here. really excellent work by okinoumi.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My neck hurt watching the Yoshikaze-Endo match.

Awesome recovery by Kyokutenho.

Now Aoiyama? They've been dropping like flies since the last basho.

Kotoshogiku ran into someone he couldn't belly-bump out today.

Hakuho is cruising so far.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 13, 2014

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Day 1:

Kisenosato has quite a large mountain to climb now.

Day 2:

I wonder if they need air traffic clearance for take off and landing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is it worth going out of my way to watch a sumo match? I very casually follow the sport through this thread but I love attending nearly any kind of live sporting event.

For more context, me and a group of friends will be going on vacation to Japan this November. For many of us, this will be the first time. I may have to talk the whole group into going in order to attend, so any arguments you guys can give me would help! A few of us are big on historical attractions and things unique to Japan.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Kibner posted:

Is it worth going out of my way to watch a sumo match? I very casually follow the sport through this thread but I love attending nearly any kind of live sporting event.

For more context, me and a group of friends will be going on vacation to Japan this November. For many of us, this will be the first time. I may have to talk the whole group into going in order to attend, so any arguments you guys can give me would help! A few of us are big on historical attractions and things unique to Japan.

If you're going down all the way to Kyuushu island in November, then you might as well go see sumo. Hell, if you have a Rail Pass and want to spend some time in Hiroshima, then you could make do a quick detour west.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kibner posted:

My first exposure to sumo was the Fukuoka tournament of 2010, which coincidentally is also the yearly November tournament. It surpassed everything I could have expected, to where I started this thread a couple years later. It's a completely unique experience, so do it! The only downfall I can see, though, is that Fukuoka is way the hell to the west, so if you're doing the classic Tokyo/Kyoto kind of trip, especially without a rail pass, it would be a very expensive excursion to take. We had the JR pass for a 2-week trip, so we finished up with a couple of days in Hiroshima and Fukuoka in the end without having to rush the first 10 days or so.

What's fun about going with a group of friends is that a lot of the seating is in boxes. The barricade between the boxes is very short, so if you had a large group (6-8) you could get two adjacent boxes and have a nice spot where you can hang out and socialize. You'd want to get there early-ish and watch the progression of skill (and size) from the lower divisions to the upper divisions to get your money's worth.

Be prepared for your rear end to fall asleep if you're not used to sitting on a mat, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the info, guys. Gonna try to build up some support for making a detour to Fukuoka, especially since Hiroshima is a destination another member of our group already mentioned being interested in visiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Some rather lovely news

quote:

Araibira Sumo Coverage
3 hours ago

I got hit with my first copyright strike! It looks like the end is near. It was fun while it lasted. #sumo #savesumo

And he posted a video explaining the issues at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpvlBED9Hhk