Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The world's largest TBM, digging a tunnel under Seattle, has hit an obstruction it can't penetrate, and has been stalled for 2 weeks. Will be interesting to find out what it is.

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-f...gn=facebookpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seattle is going to sell out of tinfoil. Buy Alcoa.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Glad to see you are happy at your new job. That thing under Seattle is probably just some leftover glacial debris.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's the other end of the space needle :tinfoil:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

grover posted:

The world's largest TBM, digging a tunnel under Seattle, has hit an obstruction it can't penetrate, and has been stalled for 2 weeks. Will be interesting to find out what it is.

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-f...gn=facebookpost
I love that the report capitalises it as the Object.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

will_colorado posted:

Glad to see you are happy at your new job. That thing under Seattle is probably just some leftover glacial debris.

I really wonder how hard they tried to bore through it. If they've got carbide tips, they should be able to make headway on anything, if only at a very slow rate. It should also produce debris. Would be amazing if it's really a gigantic diamond, though. I'd love to see the diamond market tank.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The mole-people are gonna be pissed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cheese-cube posted:

The mole-people are gonna be pissed.

Behold, the Underminer! It dwarfs your pitful borer!

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
I have an intersection near me that has been bugging me for a long time. There is a left turn lane with a left-turn arrow light at a stoplight on a road near me. There is no road on the left, only the right. There are houses and driveways on the left but who would get their own private drive left turn lane? The light is decently newish, it is newer than the houses there, which were built in the late 50s/early 60s. There was never a road to make a left turn onto. So what is the lane and signal for? I don't know if posting the intersection is allowed. Here is a bunch of pics from different angles. There is no road behind the house, it is a canal with a paved footpath. http://imgur.com/a/oyBP5 Any ideas? Can someone just bug the city enough to get their own left turn signal and lane? :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

altazakin posted:

I have an intersection near me that has been bugging me for a long time. There is a left turn lane with a left-turn arrow light at a stoplight on a road near me. There is no road on the left, only the right. There are houses and driveways on the left but who would get their own private drive left turn lane? The light is decently newish, it is newer than the houses there, which were built in the late 50s/early 60s. There was never a road to make a left turn onto. So what is the lane and signal for? I don't know if posting the intersection is allowed. Here is a bunch of pics from different angles. There is no road behind the house, it is a canal with a paved footpath. http://imgur.com/a/oyBP5 Any ideas? Can someone just bug the city enough to get their own left turn signal and lane? :)

In the first photo, if you look just a little upstream you can see that that center lane is marked as a two-way left turn lane, so the lane part of the question is that the pavement and lane width was already there, the pavement marking left turn arrow just clarifies that it's a left turn lane at the intersection.

As far as the left signal arrow, that does seem like overkill. But if the signal has a sensor so that it doesn't fire off unless necessary, it wouldn't negatively effect operations. It probably is a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease - perhaps when they were designing that intersection, they needed to acquire some property from that homeowner, and he asked for that as a condition of selling.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So this circle is supposedly slated for a makeover soon.

Maps link

It's come up before in this thread for being terrible (the article's title shares it's nickname, Suicide Circle, which is also funny because it rarely causes fatal accidents. Just lots of fender benders) and it's a huge sore on that area. I will drive around it whenever possible and so will anyone else who doesn't have to.

Hopefully proper signage, sign placement, education, and routing will turn it into a proper roundabout. I do love this quote from the Trib article that perfectly captures this thread:

quote:

"As a country, we're sometimes late to adopt," said Brian Ray, senior principle engineer at Kittelson and Associates, a firm that has led roundabout research projects for the Federal Highway Administration.

Also, :laffo: at some serious Stockholm-syndrome poo poo going on:

quote:

In the past, IDOT proposed adding stoplights to each entry point or closing off access to the circle from State or Broadway streets. But each time, residents voiced opposition.

"It's just a defining landmark," said Des Plaines Ald. Joanna Sojka, whose 7th Ward includes Cumberland Circle. "Almost everyone in the northwest suburbs knows where Cumberland Circle is."

A defining landmark of awfulness. Like a giant boil.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 26, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

altazakin posted:

When there's a single left turn lane, you end up with:

And that's a big problem, because it opens you up to head-on accidents if you follow the centerline.

So you bump the centerline out, and:

Now it looks like you have two receiving lanes, and you'll end up with sideswipes and blockages.

So you paint an island to make it more clear:

And unfortunately, it's illegal to cross a painted island, so you've blocked off all left-turning access to and from those driveways.

Now, you can paint it a little differently (and Maintenance will hate you and never re-paint it):

Isn't that UGLY? Jeez! Just put in a left turn lane (or a TWLTL). On a benefit/cost basis, it's worth it, too. If you have more than a couple left turns into a driveway in the peak hour, and a couple hundred oncoming cars, you're better off putting it in - especially when the pavement is already there, and you're only paying for paint.

Thwomp posted:

So this circle is supposedly slated for a makeover soon.

Maps link

It's come up before in this thread for being terrible (the article's title shares it's nickname, Suicide Circle, which is also funny because it rarely causes fatal accidents. Just lots of fender benders) and it's a huge sore on that area. I will drive around it whenever possible and so will anyone else who doesn't have to.

Hopefully proper signage, sign placement, education, and routing will turn it into a proper roundabout. I do love this quote from the Trib article that perfectly captures this thread:

Also, :laffo: at some serious Stockholm-syndrome poo poo going on:

A defining landmark of awfulness. Like a giant boil.

Here's one we fixed up a few years back: http://binged.it/1cV3UO2

Rhode Island has just been restriping their rotaries into turbo roundabouts. Cheap and effective.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
That works really well.

You kind full up though matey.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Not sure if this will work, can't figure out how to get a direct street view link:
https://www.google.com/maps/preview...m7wQQ!2e0&fid=5

Every time I come home (this is near my parents' house), they've beefed up this intersection. Made the stop sign bigger, added pavement markings, or made the blinking red "flashier". It's getting ridiculous. Since this 2011 street view capture, the stop signs are now even bigger, and the pavement markings now include a big painted STOP on the road. The worst is the blinking red though, since it now looks like a police siren. I must have driven through there a million times, I still ocassionally do a double take and think for a second that I'm being pulled over. If I lived on the corner, I would seriously look into suing the town. They can pretty much never again open their blinds. Who wants to buy a house in a quiet suburb with a 24/7 flashing blinding light right outside?

I have to wonder, why don't they make it a full signaled intersection? With a sensor in the pavement, cars on the main road could have green most of the time anyway.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Not sure if this will work, can't figure out how to get a direct street view link:

Every time I come home (this is near my parents' house), they've beefed up this intersection. Made the stop sign bigger, added pavement markings, or made the blinking red "flashier". It's getting ridiculous. Since this 2011 street view capture, the stop signs are now even bigger, and the pavement markings now include a big painted STOP on the road. The worst is the blinking red though, since it now looks like a police siren. I must have driven through there a million times, I still ocassionally do a double take and think for a second that I'm being pulled over. If I lived on the corner, I would seriously look into suing the town. They can pretty much never again open their blinds. Who wants to buy a house in a quiet suburb with a 24/7 flashing blinding light right outside?

I have to wonder, why don't they make it a full signaled intersection? With a sensor in the pavement, cars on the main road could have green most of the time anyway.

They really ought to clear out a few trees around the intersection, I think. They probably have a lot of T-bones due to poor line of sight.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

To put in a signal, the intersection must meet one of the warrants from the MUTCD listed here:

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part4/part4c.htm

If they put in a signal that didn't meet one of those warrants, and there was an accident (for example a rear-end collision for someone stopped at the light), it would be more difficult for the engineer to defend against a lawsuit [You put in a light where there shouldn't have been one!]. Note that Warrant 7 is for crash history - but it still requires a couple other conditions before it would be warranted.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oh hmm perhaps there's a risk of rear-end collisions since one of the major-street approaches is downhill and coming around a corner.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
Thank you, Cichlidae!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Cichlidae posted:

When there's a single left turn lane, you end up with:

I've seen all of these on US 13 and US 113, but US 13 feels like a wierd fusion of 'medium US route," with "4 lane turbo highway/Modern 6 lane superexpressway"

Question, what is the difference between an Interstate and a US Route?

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ryand-Smith posted:

I've seen all of these on US 13 and US 113, but US 13 feels like a wierd fusion of 'medium US route," with "4 lane turbo highway/Modern 6 lane superexpressway"

Interstates have minimum design standards - controlled access, laid out to support a certain speed, grade limits, etc. US routes don't and can be anything from a two lane road with crossing roads up to multi lane controlled access.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That intersection looks totally normal, I don't understand why people are blowing through the stop sign. Looks like an absolutely typical rural intersection. I'm not even seeing a visibility problem here, looks totaly fine once you're at the stop line. There's even street lamps! I've nearly blown through some rural stop signs in the middle of the night when they have no lights, but I'm not seeing any excuse here for anyone to miss this huge stop sign. Is it like the only stop sign in the area or something?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's not even all that rural, there are lots of bigger intersections around. Most of the traffic is coming to/from Route 9, one mile up Oak Hill Rd (to the left in the street view shot). Route 9 is a big 4-lane road with heavy commercial development for miles east to Boston and west to Worcester, traffic lights all over the place. In other directions, there's a stop sign at pretty much every intersection and a few traffic lights as well.

I'm with you in assuming that they keep adding stuff to the intersection because of accidents, though I can't say for sure. Personally, I saw a major accident there like 20 years ago from the rear window of a school bus, and was involved in a minor accident as a passenger maybe 10 years ago when a friend forgot to look both ways (seriously).

Visibility to the south isn't all that great, traffic on Oak St is fairly speedy, and inching up to the intersection can be dangerous on ice since there's a bit of a downhill slope, but still the whole blinding blinking light thing seems like overkill.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Presents!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

EoRaptor posted:

Presents!

That's pretty much me as a kid. I was so disappointed none of my HotWheels kits had multi-lane setups and traffic signals.

These days, I pretty much get paid to play SimCity all day, so it makes up for my childhood.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cichlidae posted:

These days, I pretty much get paid to play SimCity all day, so it makes up for my childhood.

I was just thinking that this thread is sorely lacking giant alien death-walkers and asteroid impacts.

Make it so, Cichlidae.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ryand-Smith posted:

US Routes are state maintained roads with routes determined in broad strokes nationally, and have been in existence since 1926, with most of them having been designated on roughly the same paths ever since. New ones do get created from time, usually spurs or loops of existing routes with a numbering system identical to that used for interstates used to designate them. They can vary from 2 lane raods that are only open seasonally all the way up to full on modern freeways. Usually upgraded US routes will only maintain their US route designation if they stay within rather short lengths, it's rare to find US Routes that are full freeway standard for over like 100 miles and haven't been subsumed into an Interstate route.

Interstate routes are state maintained but with a much higher amount of direct federal funding, especially when first built, have been around since 1956, are almost always built to rather stringent freeway standards (excepting instances of incorporating already built freeways that may be substantially under standard into a general route, particularly through the middle of cities; and one off oddities like how I-180 in Wyoming is just a surface arterial spur into Cheyenne etc). Many Interstate Highways are built along existing US routes, often completely eliminating the entire route or significant parts of them at completion.

The US Route network currently covers 157,724 miles while the Interstate network covers 47,182 miles, although many of these route miles are shared in concurrencies.

Incidentally there's currently no I-50 or I-60 due to the wish to avoid having an Interstate and US Route of the same number in the same states, and due to the way the numbering works 50 and 60 would conflict. This is also why US 40 and US 80 no longer extend all the way into California. Though there's still a few cases where a US route and an Interstate route of the same number exist in the same state.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Install Windows posted:

Incidentally there's currently no I-50 or I-60 due to the wish to avoid having an Interstate and US Route of the same number in the same states, and due to the way the numbering works 50 and 60 would conflict. This is also why US 40 and US 80 no longer extend all the way into California. Though there's still a few cases where a US route and an Interstate route of the same number exist in the same state.

This is also why the numbers go in opposite directions. Interstates increase in number from west to east and south to north, while US Routes increase in number from east to west and north to south. Thus, you get I-95 and US-1 running roughly the same route along the east coast.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kakairo posted:

This is also why the numbers go in opposite directions. Interstates increase in number from west to east and south to north, while US Routes increase in number from east to west and north to south. Thus, you get I-95 and US-1 running roughly the same route along the east coast.

:aaa: I had never thought of this before. That's awesome.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
More highway-numbering trivia:

Major north-south US highways end in 1; major north-south interstates end in 5.

AASHTO and FHWA don't really care about not having Interstates and US routes with the same number intersect or overlap anymore, as I-74 is planned to intersect and replace US 74 in North Carolina and the rather lengthy freeway portion of US 41 in Wisconsin will additionally be numbered I-41 next year.

US 400, US 412, and US 425 were created in the 80s and 90s on existing highways and don't fit into the numbering scheme at all.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Oh god, Road Numbering Systems :gonk:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Spaghetti ramp project is almost done. :toot:

This is the electronic toll gantry:

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 30, 2013

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Varance posted:

Spaghetti ramp project is almost done. :toot:

This is the electronic toll gantry:

I was down your way at Christmas and the Himes exit shifting to the left sure did nasty things to traffic on southbound 275.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I was down your way at Christmas and the Himes exit shifting to the left sure did nasty things to traffic on southbound 275.

It's been like that since Armenia/Howard moved left. All Himes did was make the delay last longer.

The entire project is a drat mess. For example, they've got traffic going 65MPH next to unfinished L-wall without temporary K-rail in place. Can't wait until someone get impaled on the rebar.

Every single interstate and expressway in Hillsborough is congestion-hosed by construction right now. If I have to go through a construction zone, I take a local road instead.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 30, 2013

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Did a lot of highway driving this past weekend and wondered about the placement of passing zones. There are some places along the route (winding through mountains) I took where a no passing zone ceased to exist for only what seemed like a hundred feet or so, and at 55 mph it went by in a blink. What is the metric for allowing passing? Is it N number of seconds of visibility at posted speed?, and since it would be real hard to pass within the zone only, is that metric from the end or the start of the zone?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Qwijib0 posted:

Did a lot of highway driving this past weekend and wondered about the placement of passing zones. There are some places along the route (winding through mountains) I took where a no passing zone ceased to exist for only what seemed like a hundred feet or so, and at 55 mph it went by in a blink. What is the metric for allowing passing? Is it N number of seconds of visibility at posted speed?, and since it would be real hard to pass within the zone only, is that metric from the end or the start of the zone?

Passing zones, at least in most states, just mark the boundaries of where you're permitted to start passing. If there's only a few hundred feet of passing marker, you're allowed to move out and then back in past the zone. And presumably since its a mountainous area, the short zone is more intended for getting around someone who is otherwise required to go slower than normal, like a heavy truck trying to get uphill or the like.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
How is it decided where to put lights along a highway? I drove I-84 from Hartford to Waterbury at night recently and noticed that the streetlights seemed to appear at random locations. Putting them at mergers/ramps for visibility makes sense, but what about just along the road between exits? Is it a periodic thing for better visibility? Can towns request them to improve safety or opt out to reduce light pollution?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Large bridges tend to have their own lighting, and there's several of them on that stretch of 84.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Qwijib0 posted:

They're entirely based on sight distance. When the road is laid out, engineers look at the profile and decide where the measured sight distance is below the passing sight distance. Everywhere else becomes a passing zone (unless there's an intersection or other contraindication nearby).

i barely GNU her! posted:

How is it decided where to put lights along a highway? I drove I-84 from Hartford to Waterbury at night recently and noticed that the streetlights seemed to appear at random locations. Putting them at mergers/ramps for visibility makes sense, but what about just along the road between exits? Is it a periodic thing for better visibility? Can towns request them to improve safety or opt out to reduce light pollution?

Just like for signals, lighting has its own warrants. It's not something I've ever worked with (ConnDOT has its own unit for illumination), but from what I understand, it was primarily based on critical locations where there were a lot of accidents.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So this got proposed.

Yeah, I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong. Though, if they integrated it with an electrification and signal upgrade, and included built in maintenance platforms, they might get some long term savings there. Hate to be living track side, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
Ok, so I just saw this for the first time, but wtf is going on here!

https://goo.gl/maps/iljqX