Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was wondering, I recently got a nvidia 760 which asks for a 500 watt PSU on the box. Which I have, exactly. Should I concern myself with how much extraneous junk I pile on? Like, I want to add on some more fans and a hard drive or two and maybe actually hook up my dvd drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

kater posted:

I was wondering, I recently got a nvidia 760 which asks for a 500 watt PSU on the box. Which I have, exactly. Should I concern myself with how much extraneous junk I pile on? Like, I want to add on some more fans and a hard drive or two and maybe actually hook up my dvd drive.
What power supply do you have? If it's generic or more than a few years old I'd replace it on general principle, otherwise don't worry about it. The 500W power supply requirement already assumes a significant safety factor, the actual power draw of a GTX 760 is 170W, your CPU is another 100W maybe, so unless you're overclocking or have a low quality power supply you still have a lot of headroom to play with.

Edit: Sounds like you're fine!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 26, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Backfiah posted:

Apologies that this probably isn't quite the question intended for this thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a tiny question.

What's the go-to suggestion for a controller for PC gaming? I know of the Microsoft X360 controller as well as the Logitech 310/710 (PSX-style) and also the option of a PS2/3 controller with converting hardware.

What do goons see as the best combination of comfort, usability and cost? My wrists give me some trouble after using a mouse all day, so I want a different setup for gaming.

There's native support for the 360 controller in surprisingly many PC games these days, and it's triggers are very nice for driving in GTA-style games. In my opinion it's also quite a bit more comfortable than the various iterations of PS controllers. The biggest drawback is that the d-pad kinda sucks, although it's only really noticeable in stuff like Street Fighter and SHMUPS.

I also have an older Logitech PS2-style controller which I've been using for emulating PS games for almost a decade now. They make some great kit.

Backfiah
Sep 19, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's native support for the 360 controller in surprisingly many PC games these days, and it's triggers are very nice for driving in GTA-style games. In my opinion it's also quite a bit more comfortable than the various iterations of PS controllers. The biggest drawback is that the d-pad kinda sucks, although it's only really noticeable in stuff like Street Fighter and SHMUPS.

I also have an older Logitech PS2-style controller which I've been using for emulating PS games for almost a decade now. They make some great kit.

I'm only really thinking about some of the Batman/AC/etc games so I might have to look into the 360 controller - I recently upgraded to 8.1 and the support is meant to be pretty great for it now. Thanks.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Alereon posted:

What power supply do you have? If it's generic or more than a few years old I'd replace it on general principle, otherwise don't worry about it. The 500W power supply requirement already assumes a significant safety factor, the actual power draw of a GTX 760 is 170W, your CPU is another 100W maybe, so unless you're overclocking or have a low quality power supply you still have a lot of headroom to play with.

The big bold tagline reads: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply. It's two and a half years old exactly. CPU is just a stock i5-2500k. Have had two memory voltage errors recently, but I'm almost certain they are from manually interrupting the boot like a caveman.

That much cushion really puts me at ease though, unless you come back saying I've got a timebomb inside my machine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Xbox360 Wired USB knockoff
http://r.ebay.com/Qm4aNS

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Jago posted:

Xbox360 Wired USB knockoff
http://r.ebay.com/Qm4aNS

I picked one up from Amazon, it looks just like this one, but the analog stick seems to really be more of an 8-way D-pad. It might be best to just get an official Microsoft one. the vibration is very buzzy, too, like the motors aren't padded.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IS there a thread for headphone recommendations? I'm looking to buy a good budget headphone/mic and just want some opinions on quality/comfort vs price.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Backfiah posted:

Apologies that this probably isn't quite the question intended for this thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a tiny question.

What's the go-to suggestion for a controller for PC gaming? I know of the Microsoft X360 controller as well as the Logitech 310/710 (PSX-style) and also the option of a PS2/3 controller with converting hardware.

What do goons see as the best combination of comfort, usability and cost? My wrists give me some trouble after using a mouse all day, so I want a different setup for gaming.

If you prefer the 360 style, just get the Microsoft official one.

If you prefer the Playstation style, Logitech is your best bet.

Oddhair posted:

I picked one up from Amazon, it looks just like this one, but the analog stick seems to really be more of an 8-way D-pad. It might be best to just get an official Microsoft one. the vibration is very buzzy, too, like the motors aren't padded.

Yeah, when it's only $10-12 more for the official one (maybe less, if you can hit an after-Christmas sale), if you prefer the 360 controller there's no point in not getting the official one.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

IS there a thread for headphone recommendations? I'm looking to buy a good budget headphone/mic and just want some opinions on quality/comfort vs price.
There's a headphone thread in Inspect Your Gadgets.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, thanks. I went and asked over there.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oddhair posted:

The one I got appears to be exactly a 360 controller sans logo and sticker. Small risk I suppose.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

How much of a problem is it running an i5 Haswell chip with 1.65v memory? My friend is building a new PC with an ASRock B85M-Pro4 MOBO and i5-4670k and I have 16GB of PNY RAM I can give him, but it apparently runs at 1.65v

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Petite Dinklage posted:

How much of a problem is it running an i5 Haswell chip with 1.65v memory? My friend is building a new PC with an ASRock B85M-Pro4 MOBO and i5-4670k and I have 16GB of PNY RAM I can give him, but it apparently runs at 1.65v
Don't do this. If you really want to use the RAM, lower the clockspeeds so it will run at 1.50v.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Alereon posted:

Don't do this. If you really want to use the RAM, lower the clockspeeds so it will run at 1.50v.

That was the plan, but how much will it affect the performance? I believe it is XRS8 RAM

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Petite Dinklage posted:

That was the plan, but how much will it affect the performance? I believe it is XRS8 RAM
If you can get the RAM to run at at least 1600Mhz it shouldn't be an issue. If you can only get 1333Mhz it PROBABLY won't be noticeable, but may cause dropped frames during 1080p video playback depending on the player and settings you use. If you want to live dangerously you can just set the RAM to 1.65v, some overclockers do this without issue, but frankly that is a hell of an overvoltage for a processor designed for 1.35v RAM and supporting up to 1.50v. I may just be overcautious about voltages...but I've also never damaged or degraded a CPU no matter how hard I pushed it, because I don't use excessive voltage or allow extremely high temperatures.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
HDMI is a strange and frightening thing to me, so I'll ask you guys.

I have to connect my video card (GTX460) a pretty far distance to my tv (35ft) and can't find any mini-HDMI to HDMI cables in that length. There's also no space on the card for an adapter with the two DVI ports occupied. Would I have any problems running a short mini-HDMI cable to an adapter and from there run a regular cable to my TV? My ultimate aim here is to replicate my main monitor desktop on the TV along with sound.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Puget Systems, a smaller systems integrator/boutique, published a list of parts they used that ended up being extremely reliable. Here's a link to the post. A few highlights:

CPU failure rates were 0.39%, which is higher than the common wisdom suggests. This is down from 0.47% last year. There was no difference between Intel and AMD CPUs.

Asus makes some really solid hardware - three of four motherboards that made the list and most of the GPUs are Asus models. EVGA also got a general GPU shoutout, and Zotac had a few nice models, as well.

Kingston RAM, Kingston RAM, Kingston RAM. Also, RAM reliability is up in general this year.

They sold four models of Samsung SSD. Two drives failed (0.7% of that model).

Of all the WD Green and Blue drives sold this past year, none failed.

Nvidia's Greenlight works well. Though an Asus Radeon 7850 hit the "most reliable" list, failure rates in general were 3.3% for GeForces vs. 10% for Radeons. Quadros and FirePros were both about 2%, but not many sold so those numbers probably aren't statistically significant.

Finally, they toot their own horn and say "We find bad parts before they ship to you, so the end-user failure rates are up to an order of magnitude lower than build-it-yourself."

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

HDMI is a strange and frightening thing to me, so I'll ask you guys.

I have to connect my video card (GTX460) a pretty far distance to my tv (35ft) and can't find any mini-HDMI to HDMI cables in that length. There's also no space on the card for an adapter with the two DVI ports occupied. Would I have any problems running a short mini-HDMI cable to an adapter and from there run a regular cable to my TV? My ultimate aim here is to replicate my main monitor desktop on the TV along with sound.

Last I heard the conventional wisdom is you need multiple cards to get 3 displays on Nvidia, those vintage cards were 2 only. Also, even in the event your card supports 3, if, for instance, your monitors were also HDMI, but you used adapters, it might still be possible to have too few TMDS (Transition-minimized differential signaling) resources to drive all three. While DVI and HDMI streams are pin-compatible, HDMI requires TMDS, and DVI doesn't. You might just need to swap one of your DVI cables for a DVI-HDMI cable to drive that TV. Monoprice has got those, just beware they're very heavy in that length, so they can be tough to manouevre into tight places.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Did a fresh install on a new asus motherboard with intel cpu and nvidia gpu. The mainboard chipset drivers installed a "Intel HD Graphics driver" which is now sitting in my installed programs. I suppose its for some kind of onboard chip? My question is, do I need it, could it conflict with the actual graphics card and what should I do with it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's for the integrated graphics on the Intel chip. It presents no problems at all and can only ever be useful (e.g. if you ever remove the graphics card for troubleshooting and need to use the integrated temporarily).

You may never need it, but there's nothing to be gained and opportunity to lose by getting rid of it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Oddhair posted:

Last I heard the conventional wisdom is you need multiple cards to get 3 displays on Nvidia, those vintage cards were 2 only. Also, even in the event your card supports 3, if, for instance, your monitors were also HDMI, but you used adapters, it might still be possible to have too few TMDS (Transition-minimized differential signaling) resources to drive all three. While DVI and HDMI streams are pin-compatible, HDMI requires TMDS, and DVI doesn't. You might just need to swap one of your DVI cables for a DVI-HDMI cable to drive that TV. Monoprice has got those, just beware they're very heavy in that length, so they can be tough to manouevre into tight places.

Thanks, I had no idea about the display limit! Unfortunately doing a dvi>hdmi for the tv isn't an option because I need sound as well. Would I be better off getting a second cheaper card (non SLI) with hdmi to clone my main display and sound output onto, rather than messing about with adapters?

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 27, 2013

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

It's for the integrated graphics on the Intel chip. It presents no problems at all and can only ever be useful (e.g. if you ever remove the graphics card for troubleshooting and need to use the integrated temporarily).

You may never need it, but there's nothing to be gained and opportunity to lose by getting rid of it.

Would you recommend installing it to someone who's been using a graphics card and never installed the Intel graphics drivers for over a year (me)?

Fake edit: I'm considering doing a full driver update pass since way back when I installed everything I just grabbed the ones from ASUS' page instead of going to each manufacturer's site and getting them there and might as well install them at that time. poo poo like using Driver Fusion to clear out remnants is only really necessary for AMD/NVIDIA graphics drivers, right?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Thanks, I had no idea about the display limit! Unfortunately doing a dvi>hdmi for the tv isn't an option because I need sound as well. Would I be better off getting a second cheaper card (non SLI) with hdmi to clone my main display and sound output onto, rather than messing about with adapters?

Unless you're on a very tight budget I would just buy a new card capable of supporting three displays (probably means AMD-based.) A mid-range card based on current architecture will easily outperform a top-end card based on nearly 4 year old architecture.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

The DVI port and HDMI port actually are encoded the same, the audio is not separate from the video, they're interleaved together. This doesn't mean that those DVI ports will or can carry audio, but they're certainly capable of it. It might be possible to get audio from a DVI-HDMI cable to your TV.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I want, but cannot find, a micro USB male to USB 2.0 male adapter anywhere. I have cables that do that and occasionally also see them for sale, but I want the shortest thing possible. This is the closest I can find, but I want it male on both ends.

Am I missing some technology limitation?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thesoro posted:

I want, but cannot find, a micro USB male to USB 2.0 male adapter anywhere. I have cables that do that and occasionally also see them for sale, but I want the shortest thing possible. This is the closest I can find, but I want it male on both ends.

Am I missing some technology limitation?

It sounds like what you want is just a super-short cable. Adapters exist to change connectors around to work with the cables you already have; nobody makes an "adapter" that does what you want because it's already the function of a standard micro-USB cable.

What are you trying to do? USB ports aren't designed to bear significant weight, especially the micro kind - put more than a little bit of force on there, and you'll rip it off the circuit board (as many heartbroken phone owners have found). For that reason, using a rigid adapter between two devices is usually a bad idea. You can get micro-USB cables in lengths as short as six inches, and if this is some kind of custom project, it's pretty easy to take a standard-length cable, cut a big chunk out of the middle, and put it back together in a three-inch length (or whatever you need).

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Space Gopher posted:

It sounds like what you want is just a super-short cable. Adapters exist to change connectors around to work with the cables you already have; nobody makes an "adapter" that does what you want because it's already the function of a standard micro-USB cable.

What are you trying to do? USB ports aren't designed to bear significant weight, especially the micro kind - put more than a little bit of force on there, and you'll rip it off the circuit board (as many heartbroken phone owners have found). For that reason, using a rigid adapter between two devices is usually a bad idea. You can get micro-USB cables in lengths as short as six inches, and if this is some kind of custom project, it's pretty easy to take a standard-length cable, cut a big chunk out of the middle, and put it back together in a three-inch length (or whatever you need).
I have a USB hub with short cables to attach things with. I want adapters instead of cables because all the devices I'm putting on it are small (phone, bike light batteries) and I don't want spaghetti all over my counter. No weight will be put on the ports, they'll be resting on the counter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Had one HDD (1TB) installed, added an SSD (500GB) and cloned the HDD to it.

I want to have both running at the same time, both bootable with Windows (for the time being); the problem is that Windows won't detect the SSD, when both are connected, and allow me to boot from it.

I suspect it has to do with the MBR being hosed, perhaps due to the cloning.

Can someone identify the problem and what to do? I don't want to experiment and bust either of the drives/partitions, which is why I'd rather ask here.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
So I finally built my new PC and it has been running maybe 3-4 days now. Today while browsing the web I have noticed in white space on webpages that I can see "snow", "fuzz", or "static"? Not sure what to call it but it appears to be tiny spots in I would say maybe red/pink color? My video and pictures/display still look crisp and clean, but this "snow" is really noticeable in white space. Is this a GPU problem?

For reference my new PC specs:

R9 280X by MSI
i5 Haswell
MSI Z87 G45 mobo
Win8
and the monitor I am currently using is a AOC 24" LED monitor bought 3 years ago

This "snow" is only in white space, and it doesn't matter if it is a browser or a blank canvas in Paint.

Any ideas of what to look for to correct this? All my drivers should be up to date as I've gone in and manually redownloaded them all today to see if that would fix the issue. I am using the AMD beta drivers for GPU.

Thanks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Check your video cable is plugged in securely at both ends

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

dissss posted:

Check your video cable is plugged in securely at both ends

I've plugged and unplugged them once today...even changed plugs to an alternate I had. It still comes and goes. Are you saying it is more than likely monitor related and NOT PC? I'd rather hear you say that as I can always buy a new monitor but don't want to deal with RMAs...

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

OssiansFolly posted:

I've plugged and unplugged them once today...even changed plugs to an alternate I had. It still comes and goes. Are you saying it is more than likely monitor related and NOT PC? I'd rather hear you say that as I can always buy a new monitor but don't want to deal with RMAs...

Take a picture with your camera phone?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Take a picture with your camera phone?

I doubt you will be able to see the "snow"...I will try though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

OssiansFolly posted:

The way to tell if it's your monitor or not is to take a screenshot in your OS and post it here.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Well do you guys see the "snow"?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Looks fine to me.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Yip Yips posted:

Looks fine to me.

Alright then I will have to start looking at monitors. Thanks for the help.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

OssiansFolly posted:

Alright then I will have to start looking at monitors. Thanks for the help.

I'd suggest trying another cable before replacing the monitor personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Geoj posted:

Unless you're on a very tight budget I would just buy a new card capable of supporting three displays (probably means AMD-based.) A mid-range card based on current architecture will easily outperform a top-end card based on nearly 4 year old architecture.

Just wanted to say thanks to you and the others! Ended up ordering a 5850 and should have this whole rig ready in another few days (oh god please no more issues).

• Locked thread