Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Running three Slaughter Games in sideboard. I'm sticking away from Elspeth for now. Chances are someone has a way to deal with it more than Assemble the Legion. Plus I get to slap it down and yell "ASSEMBLE THE LEGION! :black101:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deckit posted:

Running three Slaughter Games in sideboard. I'm sticking away from Elspeth for now. Chances are someone has a way to deal with it more than Assemble the Legion. Plus I get to slap it down and yell "ASSEMBLE THE LEGION! :black101:"

I like running main deck on slaughter games, at best, by T4, I know where their deck is going, and can name Stormbreath or Gary, or Elspeth, etc., and hurt them badly, next best, I'm holding two slaughter games T4, and have gotten a free look at what the gently caress they're sitting on to name it T5, and at worst, I know what they're holding and can plan what to do with my top decks better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I loitered around the LGS near my work today since we got out early (no FNM though- still need three copies of Molten Birth and no one had any to spare :argh:) and played a couple games against my friend's new UW Heroic concept. While I didn't learn much from it other than that Fabled Hero is really annoying, I did pick up three Akroan Horse from their bulk rare box after hearing about some goons running them. How could I fit them into this list? (truncated here because everyone is always posting this drat deck)

Deck: MURDERGOATS

Display deck statistics

My initial instinct is to drop the Rakdos's Returns and maybe a Keyrune for them, I never seem to want to cast Return when I have it (would rather sac stuff with Tymaret or use some other activated ability with that mana) and I always draw the Keyrunes when my mana is fine (and then get gunshy about attacking with them for fear of losing a mana source). What do you think? I could also do something like this-

+2 Horse
-2 Return
//SB
-2 Pack Rat
+2 Return

as I can't name a matchup off the top of my head where I'd want to use Pack Rat, though I guess I don't know when I'd hypothetically board in Rakdos's Return either. I could maybe even take out a Purphoros for the third Horse, but I'd feel nervous about running fewer than four Purphori. In my experience it's vital to have one in play in order to win.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 28, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wasn't sure whether to post this here in the main thread, so here goes nothing.

So I'm being dragged into being interested in this game again after being MIA since the Mercadian arc, mainly due to some strategically timed Xmas Steam gifts. Anyway, I figured starting with a Type 2 deck on M:tGO would be easiest from a construction (and, more importantly, budget) standpoint. Now after poking around a bit, I've settled on the general theory of White/Green weenie horde/life pumping deck based around abusing the hell out of Populate, Trostani, and either 2014 Ajani or Theros Elspeth would be a nice way to get my feet wet (or dive head first into the deep end, whatever). The only problem is that I completely, utterly, definitely suck at deckbuilding. Synergy, mana curve, card retrieval, I got nothing. So I was wondering if anyone here would be generous enough to offer some advice and toss something together. Budget is... negotiable, but considering I just got back I'd rather not plunge in too deep on my first deck in over a decade. This doesn't have to be a guaranteed winner, something fun & casual would be enough.

Or just feel free to point out how poo poo my idea is. Either works, really.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I'm being dragged into being interested in this game again after being MIA since the Mercadian arc, mainly due to some strategically timed Xmas Steam gifts. Anyway, I figured starting with a Type 2 deck on M:tGO would be easiest from a construction (and, more importantly, budget) standpoint. Now after poking around a bit, I've settled on the general theory of White/Green weenie horde/life pumping deck based around abusing the hell out of Populate, Trostani, and either 2014 Ajani or Theros Elspeth would be a nice way to get my feet wet (or dive head first into the deep end, whatever). The only problem is that I completely, utterly, definitely suck at deckbuilding. Synergy, mana curve, card retrieval, I got nothing. So I was wondering if anyone here would be generous enough to offer some advice and toss something together. Budget is... negotiable, but considering I just got back I'd rather not plunge in too deep on my first deck in over a decade. This doesn't have to be a guaranteed winner, something fun & casual would be enough.

If you really want something that is budget and fun, try MURDERGOATS or MURDERFARM. A lot of goons in this thread pilot it, and it's a pretty fun deck to play. Although I don't know if it will do well on MODO, but your idea is interesting, and other, more experienced deckbuilders in the thread will help better than I will.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Populate decks are, unfortunately, not that strong and (in my experience) really unfun to play when they're not winning, because a lot of your cards become either weak or dead. If you like green/white aggro in general, though, it's a solid, though not tier-one, archetype at the moment. This deck and this deck are two you might want to use as starting points; the only real expensive cards in them are Voice of Resurgence and Mutavault, and if you'd prefer not to shell out for them, you can replace them with cards from the other deck (Scavenging Ooze is not a bad card to use in Voice's place; in Mutavault's case, just use the other deck's land list).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

tzirean posted:

Populate decks are, unfortunately, not that strong and (in my experience) really unfun to play when they're not winning, because a lot of your cards become either weak or dead. If you like green/white aggro in general, though, it's a solid, though not tier-one, archetype at the moment. This deck and this deck are two you might want to use as starting points; the only real expensive cards in them are Voice of Resurgence and Mutavault, and if you'd prefer not to shell out for them, you can replace them with cards from the other deck (Scavenging Ooze is not a bad card to use in Voice's place; in Mutavault's case, just use the other deck's land list).

Well that second one definitely looks similar to what I had in my head, although I was hoping for something with a bit more life gain, especially with 4 Temple Gardens in there. As it is, it looks like the only reliable method is SOL if the opponent's playing a mono-colored deck.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well that second one definitely looks similar to what I had in my head, although I was hoping for something with a bit more life gain, especially with 4 Temple Gardens in there. As it is, it looks like the only reliable method is SOL if the opponent's playing a mono-colored deck.

I don't understand what you mean by the last sentence, but if you want more lifegain, look into Fiendslayer Paladin and Archangel of Thune as well as potentially replacing Polukranos with Trostani, though Trostani's less good without Voice of Resurgence. I think you're overestimating the life loss from Temple Garden, though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

If you want life gain that badly, just run Unflinching Courage, which is a perfectly playable card.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boxn posted:

If you really want something that is budget and fun, try MURDERGOATS or MURDERFARM. A lot of goons in this thread pilot it, and it's a pretty fun deck to play. Although I don't know if it will do well on MODO, but your idea is interesting, and other, more experienced deckbuilders in the thread will help better than I will.

To follow up on this, here is my current build for MURDERGOATS (really MURDERHORSE but I think keeping the deck name consistent is important). It contains a deck description as well as any changes made to the deck.

Notably, the deck is currently running a sole copy of Act of Treason. Every time I drew it it was useful, whether killing someone with their own Blood Baron, or stealing a Selesnyan player's copy of Trostani to sacrifice it and prevent her from gaining any more life. If nothing else it creates a token with Young Pyromancer and gives another sacrifice for Post/Murderking/Zombie, or gives an additional attacker/removes a blocker.

It's probably one of the more fun decks I've ever played, and my experiences with Trading Post have made me consider playing another copy over one less Akroan Horse.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

qbert posted:

If you want life gain that badly, just run Unflinching Courage, which is a perfectly playable card.

Well I'm not sure how badly I want it, I just figured that if I was running 3 Ajanis some sort of reliable gain would be necessary for the Kitty Horde (if I ever successfully trigger it).

But this deck does look pretty good... despite needing to spend 100 dollars on Voice of Resurgence in M:tG:O:: :stonk:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well I'm not sure how badly I want it, I just figured that if I was running 3 Ajanis some sort of reliable gain would be necessary for the Kitty Horde (if I ever successfully trigger it).

But this deck does look pretty good... despite needing to spend 100 dollars on Voice of Resurgence in M:tG:O:: :stonk:

Play MURDERGOATS.dec; you could comfortably build the deck in it's entirety for $100 or less. :c00l:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Deck: MURDERGOATS

My initial instinct is to drop the Rakdos's Returns and maybe a Keyrune for them, I never seem to want to cast Return when I have it (would rather sac stuff with Tymaret or use some other activated ability with that mana) and I always draw the Keyrunes when my mana is fine (and then get gunshy about attacking with them for fear of losing a mana source). What do you think? I could also do something like this-

+2 Horse
-2 Return
//SB
-2 Pack Rat
+2 Return

Looking over your deck, I'd really recommend dropping the main board doom blades. Running into Mono black or BW control (Mono B plus BBoV) with that card just sucks. I also recently switched from Lightning Strike to Magma Jet, and think it's much better. Dropping the returns from your main is fine, I'm only running 1 main right now. I've been going back and forth on Horse, but, running trading post, horse, and purphoros leaves you with too many 4 drops. I'm running 2 Keyrunes, and I think 2-3 is the right number. I'd also recommend running ratchet bomb, either main or side. It's really good against a whole bunch of things right now.
I've also stopped running pack rat, as my deck is really a Rakdos control deck plus Purph, Pyro, Tymaret, and Post.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
This is my build:
Deck: Murdergoats

At some point I'll try to sub the Doom Blades for Hero's Downfalls, but but since I don't have any right now it's fine to just sub them for Dark Betrayals in games two and three against mono-black. I think two Acts of Treason is the right number, bhsman, though I did have a third in my sideboard for a while. Steal/attack/sac is just such a great play every time.

My build could probably do with some thoughtsiezes, too, but I'm not really sure what I'd cut.

I'm kind of surprised by people cutting Return, it's been such a house for me (sometimes it's a Mind Rot, but it's so satisfying to bring someone's hand down to zero, and the few times I've needed it as a Fireball it's come through as well.)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

This is my build:
Deck: Murdergoats

At some point I'll try to sub the Doom Blades for Hero's Downfalls, but but since I don't have any right now it's fine to just sub them for Dark Betrayals in games two and three against mono-black. I think two Acts of Treason is the right number, bhsman, though I did have a third in my sideboard for a while. Steal/attack/sac is just such a great play every time.

Two Acts sounds pretty good, I may end up dropping the 4th Doom Blade (I had put it in over a third Gnawing Zombie) for it. I'll also say that Doom Blade is really good in this Standard from my perspective just due to all the Boros/Selesnyan Aggro variants running around, as well as killing Frostburn Weirds that contribute to Mono-U Devotion and the like. Running into mono-black sucks but that's why my list also runs Dreadbore, Hero's Downfall, and replaces its Doom Blades with Dark Betrayal post-game 1.

I'm interested to see how the deck will develop once Born of the Gods introduces Springleaf Drum (presumably) into the format. The deck will probably morph back to the slower, Control-oriented -GOATS version (to combat everyone else doing the same), but while giving it access to Turn 3 Horse/Post/Purph thanks to Drum and finishing with Rakdos's Return.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bhsman posted:

Two Acts sounds pretty good, I may end up dropping the 4th Doom Blade (I had put it in over a third Gnawing Zombie) for it. I'll also say that Doom Blade is really good in this Standard from my perspective just due to all the Boros/Selesnyan Aggro variants running around, as well as killing Frostburn Weirds that contribute to Mono-U Devotion and the like. Running into mono-black sucks but that's why my list also runs Dreadbore, Hero's Downfall, and replaces its Doom Blades with Dark Betrayal post-game 1.

I'm interested to see how the deck will develop once Born of the Gods introduces Springleaf Drum (presumably) into the format. The deck will probably morph back to the slower, Control-oriented -GOATS version (to combat everyone else doing the same), but while giving it access to Turn 3 Horse/Post/Purph thanks to Drum and finishing with Rakdos's Return.

Yeah, I can't wait for BOTG. Springleaf Drum is (hopefully) just the beginning. If we can get a black way to remove enchantments it'll go a long way to making the deck more viable.

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007
Is there any reason why adding white to MURDERGOATS would be a bad idea? Access to wear/tear and assemble the legions seems powerful, and with two white scrylands I wouldn't think the mana would be too much worse.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I tried it, and I think alwaysbeclosing was working on it more.

The problem we ran into was that it stressed both your mana base and life total a bit too much. The deck needs its mana available right away, and shocking yourself to get at a third color means you're cutting it that much closer to not stabilizing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is be interested in seeing someone brew up a straight RW variant. You lose your sac outlets and doom blades, but pick up Assemble, Chained to the Rocks, and Wear//Tear for the sideboard.

Might be too dependent on sticking a Purphoros though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Malgrin posted:

Looking over your deck, I'd really recommend dropping the main board doom blades. Running into Mono black or BW control (Mono B plus BBoV) with that card just sucks. I also recently switched from Lightning Strike to Magma Jet, and think it's much better. Dropping the returns from your main is fine, I'm only running 1 main right now. I've been going back and forth on Horse, but, running trading post, horse, and purphoros leaves you with too many 4 drops. I'm running 2 Keyrunes, and I think 2-3 is the right number. I'd also recommend running ratchet bomb, either main or side. It's really good against a whole bunch of things right now.
I've also stopped running pack rat, as my deck is really a Rakdos control deck plus Purph, Pyro, Tymaret, and Post.

While I'll admit I don't know much about my meta I haven't seen any monoblack, but I'm sure it's out there. I may switch the Ultimate Prices to Dark Betrayals if I see a lot of it but right now my biggest fear is for my opponents to have enough creatures to outrace me, so I need Doom Blades to feel safe (it's also why I'm running a few Mortars)

a dozen swans posted:

Yeah, I can't wait for BOTG. Springleaf Drum is (hopefully) just the beginning. If we can get a black way to remove enchantments it'll go a long way to making the deck more viable.

Don't forget the RB scryland for draw fixing, plus if the first five are any indication it won't be too pricey to get a playset.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
There's the option of moving to white/red straight up, but the deck changes a LOT. You lose Tymaret, a lot of removal in Dreadbore/Doom Blade/Hero's Downfall/etc., Gnawing Zombie as a sac outlet, etc. You also gain a more reliable win condition in Elspeth (whom, combined with Purphoros, pretty much equals a dead opponent), Assemble the Legion, enchantment removal, etc. Even the loss of black removal isn't THAT bad, as you gain Chained to the Rocks, Last Breath, Divine Verdict, etc., and you can substitute for more burn like Mizzium Mortars and Lighting Strike, among others. You also get access to token generators like Precinct Captain (less likely due to WW cost, but it's there) and that enchantment that makes a 4/4 Angel whenever you gain 4 life (via Trading Post?).

The deck gets weaker in some ways but undoubtedly stronger in others, but the price of it also shoots up a little as well; you're not exactly saving money switching from Tymaret to Elspeth as a win condition. The name is obvious, at least: MURDERLEGION :black101::respek::hist101:

EDIT: Wait, Tymaret leaving means we lose out on the MURDER- prefix. ~*Angelgoats*~? :angel:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 29, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There is Barrage of Expendables as a pure red sac outlet, so at least you'd still be able to run the Treason/Sac combo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Boco_T posted:

There is Barrage of Expendables as a pure red sac outlet, so at least you'd still be able to run the Treason/Sac combo.

Yeah, forgot to mention Barrage; it would effectively replace Tymaret.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
So it would look something like this to start?

//Artifact (2)
2 Trading Post

//Artifact Creature (4)
4 Akroan Horse

//Creature (4)
4 Young Pyromancer

//Enchantment (11)
3 Assemble the Legion
4 Barrage of Expendables
4 Chained to the Rocks

//Instant (4)
4 Lightning Strike

//Enchantment Creature (3)
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge

//Planeswalker (2)
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Sorcery (6)
4 Act of Treason
2 Portent of Betrayal

//Land (24)
12 Mountain
4 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

http://www.mtgvault.com/bocot/decks/angelhorse/

I really want to try it out except I do not want to spend $80 to get 2 Elspeths and 4 Sacred Foundrys

EDIT: Hm, the curve is dead at 3, I bet this deck would really like Boros Keyrune to try and power down the Assemble turn 4, then you could just put the Purphoros down on turn 5.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Assemble the Goats

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd really like to see something like Mizzium Mortars or Anger of the Gods in there, at least side. You will not be winning on the ground ever so some kind of sweeper is really nice to have, though I guess with that deck you're not saccing creatures as often so who cares about them once they hit play. I might also run four Purphori, since he's the main combo piece with Tymaret out. Maybe then adding an extra Post too so you can pitch any superfluous copies of the god.

E: I guess Elspeth can sweep if needed to. I just really like Mortars, especially if you see a lot of Blood Barons up in your LGS.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2013

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Assemble the Goats

This might actually be the best reason to splash white.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I tried it, and I think alwaysbeclosing was working on it more.

The problem we ran into was that it stressed both your mana base and life total a bit too much. The deck needs its mana available right away, and shocking yourself to get at a third color means you're cutting it that much closer to not stabilizing.

I think with the added removal in Chain to the Rocks, and possible playing Anger of the Gods like a few other people suggested you could get away with a white splash and only play a few extra shocks if any at all since you can get your white mana strictly through scry lands. This would mean of course that your playstyle would need to change to a more controlling one until you are able to land your combo instead of trying to finish games as quickly as possible.

I've been playing the RW Devotion decks for a few weeks now, and I have been extremely impressed with Assemble the legions against a large amount of decks. In addition to obviously being an amazing combo with Purph, it is also good enough that you don't really need anything else to go along with it other than not dying. Seems it might be a good fix to the decks problem of not being able to do anything if doesn't draw Purph/Murder King or they get dealt with.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Idea for MURDERGOATS.

Goblin Rally.

Best case on turn five you do 12 damage to your opponent with a Young Pyromancer and Purphoros, and can shut out the rest with Tymaret. Worst case you have 4 1/1s that you can use for whatever.

They're also red, so they can chump and sac to Blood Baron!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 29, 2013

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'm tinkering with a Naya Humans deck for modern. Mostly for FNM but I like decks I build to be competitive.

http://deckstats.net/decks/6004/54604-naya-humans

There are a lot of humans to choose from, the deck could go primary in white, green, or red. I'm not sure how effective ghor-clan is to the deck, but he adds a ton of damage on the cheap. If I removed him I'd probably include more of the hatebears, imposing sovereign main and keep thalia sideboard.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Out of the half-a-dozen or so decks I've been playing this standard, my mono-red devotion deck has by-far been the most consistent, so I'm looking to finalize the 75 cards to make it my official deck. The main deck is basically set. I'm looking more for tips for the side board.

Creatures
4 x Legion Loyalist
4 x Frostburn Weird
4 x Ash Zealot
4 x Burning-Tree Emissary
4 x Boros Reckoner
4 x Fanatic of Mogis
4 x Stormbreath Dragon

Everything Else
4 x Mizzium Mortars
1 x Chained to the Rocks
1 x Hammer of Purphoros
1 x Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands
13x Mountains
4 x Sacred Foundry
4 x Temple of Triumph
4 x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Sideboard
4 x Boros Charm
3 x Chained to the Rocks
2 x Assemble the Legion
2 x Aurelia's Fury
1 x Hammer of Purphoros
1 x Chandra, Pyromaster
2 x ?????

After going through the different deck archetypes out there, I can't find anything that will really help outside of Boros Charm and additional Chained to the Rocks for removal and protection. The problem is, there aren't many slots in the maindeck that are easily removed without compromising the tightness of the deck. Swapping Mortars for Charms is easy against (near-)creatureless decks. Sacrificing a turn one creature is easy for additional Chained support against big green or Assemble for long winded control decks.

But is anything else really all that useful? (I rarely sideboard at FNM for expediency reasons which I really need to stop ignoring. And no one in my area runs super fast rush decks like RDW or Rakdos Rush, so I don't have much experience testing it against those specific decks.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 30, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure you don't need 25 lands. You're also not making much use of that white mana, so I'd be tempted to cut it entirely and just go mono-red. Lightning Strike and Shock will give you reach to close out a game after your creatures have got you most of the way, in addition to removing blockers.

Firefist Striker is really good. I know he only gives one devotion, but his ability is so key to your ability to keep pushing through blockers that it doesn't matter. I'd run them over Frostburn Weird, who isn't very mana-efficient at all on the attack.

Why are you running Legion Loyalist and not one of the 2-power one drops?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'd also lean towards cutting out white entirely, if you're just running a single Chained mainboard. I know your manabase can all produce red mana but either run RW or run true monored, don't run the half-measure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think it is important to stress that the deck isn't RDW. It isn't meant to attack every turn and kills more often by hanging back enough turns to vomit my hand onto the field and burning you with 2 Fanatics for 8+ each. This is why I don't run Chandra's Phoenix or Mutavaults. In fact, I rarely attack unless the opponent has a clear field because trades are far more detrimental to this deck than most. The removal suite (i.e. Mortars and Chained) is there to prevent my opponent from killing me too quickly more so than allowing me to kill them quicker. And this is why splashing white is so important because the extra protection white provides through Boros Charm is required against any deck with heavy removal of its own (i.e. B/x and U/W/x).

Legion Loyalist is not really a 1-drop creature in the deck. He is a 1-drop permanent that gives everyone else first strike and trample, which is necessary to allow Fanatics and Reckoners to attack without risking a trade. And you have no idea how many Elspeth, Master of Waves, and Young Pyromancer players forget that their tokens can't chump block with him around.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2013

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

You could also run Legion's Initiative, to bring everything back in and re-ping with Fanatic of Mogis.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deckit posted:

You could also run Legion's Initiative, to bring everything back in and re-ping with Fanatic of Mogis.

Now, that's an interesting idea. Especially since you can summon Fanatic and pop Initiative pre-combat to give him haste. And it re-triggers BTE for free mana which is kind of ridiculously sick.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

Out of the half-a-dozen or so decks I've been playing this standard, my mono-red devotion deck has by-far been the most consistent, so I'm looking to finalize the 75 cards to make it my official deck. The main deck is basically set. I'm looking more for tips for the side board.

Creatures
4 x Legion Loyalist
4 x Frostburn Weird
4 x Ash Zealot
4 x Burning-Tree Emissary
4 x Boros Reckoner
4 x Fanatic of Mogis
4 x Stormbreath Dragon

Everything Else
4 x Mizzium Mortars
1 x Chained to the Rocks
1 x Hammer of Purphoros
1 x Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands
13x Mountains
4 x Sacred Foundry
4 x Temple of Triumph
4 x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

Sideboard
4 x Boros Charm
3 x Chained to the Rocks
2 x Assemble the Legion
2 x Aurelia's Fury
1 x Hammer of Purphoros
1 x Chandra, Pyromaster
2 x ?????

After going through the different deck archetypes out there, I can't find anything that will really help outside of Boros Charm and additional Chained to the Rocks for removal and protection. The problem is, there aren't many slots in the maindeck that are easily removed without compromising the tightness of the deck. Swapping Mortars for Charms is easy against (near-)creatureless decks. Sacrificing a turn one creature is easy for additional Chained support against big green or Assemble for long winded control decks.

But is anything else really all that useful? (I rarely sideboard at FNM for expediency reasons which I really need to stop ignoring. And no one in my area runs super fast rush decks like RDW or Rakdos Rush, so I don't have much experience testing it against those specific decks.)

You should check out Thea Steele's list from SCG Invitational in Vegas. I've fiddled with Rw devotion since Theros release and her list is just about optimal. The two Warleader Helixes in the sideboard are meh but it is solid.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 30, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Threw this pile together on MODO to further screw around with "what other types of Murdergoats can we build?" I wanted to build the cheapest version that anybody could make to try this kind of deck out. So far it's been quite fun.

I didn't even want to spend money, so I didn't put Purphoros in. But with him I think the deck probably gets way better. As it stands, the only "expensive" card in the deck is Young Pyromancer.

Deck: Mono Red Barrage

//Lands
24 Mountain

//Spells
4 Act of Treason
4 Barrage of Expendables
4 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
4 Portent of Betrayal
4 Shock

//Creatures
4 Akroan Horse
4 Guttersnipe
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Now, that's an interesting idea. Especially since you can summon Fanatic and pop Initiative pre-combat to give him haste. And it re-triggers BTE for free mana which is kind of ridiculously sick.

You'd have to use the mana they generate during that phase since mana disappears when phase changes occurs, but yes!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

You should check out Thea Steele's list from SCG Invitational in Vegas. I've fiddled with Rw devotion since Theros release and her list is just about optimal. The two Warleader Helixes in the sideboard are meh but it is solid.

I'd really like to ask her how useful Purphoros was. Granted, he's almost always going to be online against decks he matters against (namely, G/x), but optimally, your hand will be empty or near empty by the time he hits the ground, so I don't see his burn effect being as useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
To save time, money and headache on building my Jhoira commander deck I stopped in a couple local Targets and snagged a Mind Seize deck that Wizards put out. Is there anything you'd add, subtract or change in the deck? I was thinking of using Nekusar as my commander.

Link to all the deck lists

Thanks in advance for the thoughts, and no this doesn't mean I am abandoning the Jhoira deck...just waiting until my LGS has more of the cards I want so I can support them instead of an internet seller.

• Locked thread