Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Are there any good modern martial arts movies/documentaries on netflix USA??? I'm not looking for high art but decent fight choreography is very much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Red Dawn was pretty good. The action and the acting was good, and there were not really any terrible decisions made by the characters in the film and when there were, there were consequences. The tactics were well done, the combat seemed real enough, plenty of surpriseswhy don't you go get your beer?, etc. Good movie all around.

I love dumb action movies. I really wanted to like this movie. But goddamn this movie was just soooo loving boring.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

No Longer Flaky posted:

Oh, I didn't realize they had changed the antagonists in the movie for the newer version. I guess it makes sense, but I think they could have kept it the russians and not many people woulda cared.

The 80's version is pretty fun and I wouldn't call it a terrible movie. Haven't seen the newer version, don't really plan on it.

A Red Dawn remake would have been badass if they just said gently caress it and straight up changed it to like the Taliban invading, and the Wolverines start out as a small fringe group blending in with the civilian population and emphasize attacking from the shadows, with both groups escalating as death tolls rise.

But like, way more subtle and gradual. Just keep building until you get to this point near the end of the movie where the audience is cheering for the wolverine's suicide bomber to get just close enough to General Badguyington to take him out.

(I mean, yeah, Inglourious Bastards already did this mostly, but it'd still be cool for Red Dawn)

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 27, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gaz2k21 posted:

Are there any good modern martial arts movies/documentaries on netflix USA??? I'm not looking for high art but decent fight choreography is very much appreciated.

Most anything with Donnie Yen or Jackie Chan will be halfway decent. If I had to recommend something on streaming then Project A is pretty great, and Wing Chun is one of my favorite movies ever, kung fu or otherwise.

New Legend of Shaolin is also streaming if you're in the mood for some B-tier Jing Wong cheese.

I personally don't care for it, but Swordsman 2 is generally regarded fondly and is loving insane.

e: Game of Death is up there too!

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 27, 2013

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

A Red Dawn remake would have been badass if they just said gently caress it and straight up changed it to like the Taliban invading, and the Wolverines start out as a small fringe group blending in with the civilian population and emphasize attacking from the shadows, with both groups escalating as death tolls rise.

But like, way more subtle and gradual. Just keep building until you get to this point near the end of the movie where the audience is cheering for the wolverine's suicide bomber to get just close enough to General Badguyington to take him out.

(I mean, yeah, Inglourious Bastards already did this mostly, but it'd still be cool for Red Dawn)

Have you seen Battle: LA?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

morestuff posted:

A bunch of stuff is expiring with the new year:

That's a lot of good poo poo that's going to disappear soon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat it sucks that the Kids in the Hall stuff is going, I put that on from time to time. Some classic bits there.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

DeimosRising posted:

Have you seen Battle: LA?

Nope. Sounds like I should check it out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nope. Sounds like I should check it out.

Battle: LA is basically what you're describing with aliens as the US military and the US military as Iraqi insurgents.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

priznat posted:

drat it sucks that the Kids in the Hall stuff is going, I put that on from time to time. Some classic bits there.

Exactly. Now I feel like I need to marathon KitH, although honestly if you aren't marathoning KitH then what are you doing with your life to begin with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Most anything with Donnie Yen or Jackie Chan will be halfway decent. If I had to recommend something on streaming then Project A is pretty great, and Wing Chun is one of my favorite movies ever, kung fu or otherwise.

I saw 1911 was up on Netflix but I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The past decade of Jackie Chan movies have been so bad and not in a fun way...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I saw 1911 was up on Netflix but I couldn't bring myself to watch it. The past decade of Jackie Chan movies have been so bad and not in a fun way...

Yes, should probably qualify that Jackie Chan recommendation to 'anything with Jackie Chan before he became too old and injured'.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm kind of fond of The Quest. It's basically Jean-Claude Van Damme making Bloodsport again but with the different opponents having some weird and unique fighting styles. Pretty fun movie.

Also it seems like a lot of Van Damme movies are expiring with the new year I don't think they were on the list on the last page. Also expiring is the original Troll which I hadn't watched in a long time. It's not as infamously bad as its sequel but it's still a very odd movie that doesn't really fit any particular niche other than "weird 80's movie". Possibly worth checking out before it goes away if you're into that sort of thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Crossposted from chat because I realized it's more relevant here:

Tried watching Samurai Champloo, for the second time now. It seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd like, and a lot of people with similar tastes to mine regard it highly, but I've seen three episodes now (the two first episodes and then one in the middle) and it just leaves me totally cold. I don't know why, but it does nothing for me.

I also tried Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The show(s) have an interesting thing going on what with being set from the inside perspective of a fascist nation, and the magic stuff seems like it could get interesting if they keep it uniform and don't get crazy with it, but man. Too much sweatdrops and smiley faces. Why does so many anime studios feel the need to constantly undercut the affect and tone of their own work? I've been told it's to "reduce tension" or add comic relief or whatever, but what the gently caress? Why wouldn't you want to leave a powerful impression?

When I run out of TV comedy to watch on Netflix, I turn to anime for my lunchtime viewing, and that's a forlorn path if ever there was one.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm kind of fond of The Quest. It's basically Jean-Claude Van Damme making Bloodsport again but with the different opponents having some weird and unique fighting styles. Pretty fun

Oh I've seen that one, I have a soft spot for Van Damme movies.
I've loved quite a few Jackie Chan movies city hunter is a particular favourite.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I feel like half the time a movie I want to watch expires it ends up coming back in a month or so.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tried watching Samurai Champloo, for the second time now. It seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd like, and a lot of people with similar tastes to mine regard it highly, but I've seen three episodes now (the two first episodes and then one in the middle) and it just leaves me totally cold. I don't know why, but it does nothing for me.

I thought I'd like this show too, since it's by the guy who made one of the few animes I've really enjoyed (Cowboy Bebop), but it definitely is a bit different. It has its own rhythm, though, and a few of the episodes are really good. I dunno if it will motivate you to give it another chance, but the beginning couple of episodes aren't the most exciting or representative of later ones.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Anonymous Robot posted:

You should at least go back and watch the episode where they have a brawl in a burning field of marijuana. "Beatbox Bandits," I think, episode nine. (Edit: Eh, spoilered just in case. It's minor, though.)

Welcome to the NHK is a pretty good show, have you given that a shot? It's a comedy about a guy who has buckled under the crushing weight of his neuroses and withdrawn from society. Fun!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sarchasm posted:

You should at least go back and watch the episode where they have a brawl in a burning field of marijuana. "Beatbox Bandits," I think, episode nine. (Edit: Eh, spoilered just in case. It's minor, though.)

That was the one in the middle of the season that I watched, actually.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, so this probably comes up a lot but I finally got an HDTV (hahaha, I know), and here's what I got:

HDTV hooked up to PS3 with an HDMI cable
A top end internet speed of 10MBps (qualifies well for HD at the least)
Am picking HD formatted selections from Netflix

The problem:

I cannot for the life of me get HD, everything is stuck dead in SD240, which I can only imagine is the absolute shittiest streaming rate.

Netflix chat said to power cycle my modem (:laffo:) so yeah that didn't do it. I also have set my account on the internet browser to "force" HD instead of "auto", rebooted everything, power cycled and yeah, still stuck in SD240.

Dunno what to do at this point :(

FAKE EDIT:
Just ran the net test for shits and giggles, in my back computer room through wifi it gets 8.6 MB, the PS3 is right next to the router minus 40 feet of open air to travel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
1) PS3 has known issues with wireless. I would try temporarily hooking it up wired to see if it makes a difference.
2) The time you try to watch matters - US prime time is going to be the worst.
3) What you are streaming seems to matter a lot. Trailer Park Boys was horrid; the new season of Futurama works fine. Oddly enough, when I had streaming problems with my Apple TV, switching to the PS3 fixed them. The Apple TV seemed to default to a high quality and degrade to crap when the buffer ran out; the PS3 seemed to start with junk quality and ramp it up after 30 seconds or so (bigger buffers I guess).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

So we're supposed to root for the Chinese/Koreans?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I watched The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes since it's one of those movies disappearing from streaming in 2014. It's quite good. If you like Billy Wilder, Sherlock Holmes, mysteries, British people, Scotland, and various combinations thereof, it's well worth watching.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So Killing Season was definitely something.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have to believe that the Scientologists forced De Niro into that with some sort of dirt they have on him.

I started that thinking hey this should be too ba-- oh dear god....

Recommending Somm while I'm here. You should watch it. Really. I never came close to knowing what it took / takes to be a master sommelier.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Travolta's accent hurt.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
For those who are looking for a happy go lucky korean film please watch Front Line...

Just kidding. This is the most brutal war film I have ever seen. The gore is standard but the FUBAR situations are what makes it so brutal. I don't want to spoil anything and I think everyone should watch it. I seriously hope the ending was a work of fiction because if not, that's seriously hosed up. Command ordering troops back to fight after the truce signing. Just for a piece of worthless land.

Ignore the netflix description as it is completely inaccurate. it sounds as if you're about to watch a murder mystery but its not. I'm going to marathon some arrested development to clean my palate. Holy hell.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Travolta's accent hurt.

His hair? Amazing!
Just look up the directors past and think how fun this would have been with Matthau and Lemon.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Loving Life Partner posted:

HDTV hooked up to PS3 with an HDMI cable
A top end internet speed of 10MBps (qualifies well for HD at the least)
Am picking HD formatted selections from Netflix

This might be a dumb question, but have you tried watching an HD title for about ten minutes straight, without pausing? The PS3 often starts off with very low quality and ramps up over a couple of minutes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
DOesn't look like HEAT is up, does anyone have some suggestions for similar heist/shootout with cops movies?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 29, 2013

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Anonymous Robot posted:

At the very least, watch "Baseball Blues". Subbed, not dubbed, if Netflix gives you the option (this is one case where the difference is vital). Hulu has the subbed versions if Netflix doesn't.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
why the gently caress would you watch champloo in japanese. the gently caress is wrong with you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MariusLecter posted:

DOesn't look like HEAT is up, does anyone have some suggestions for similar heist/shootout with cops movies?

"The Sex Thief"

He steals diamonds.

*I am kidding, although that is a real movie on Netflix. I know this from when I searched for "Thief" a while back and that was in the results. Didn't watch it though!

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

MariusLecter posted:

If you're not turned off by subtitles Drug War has a pretty strong Mann vibe.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

why the gently caress would you watch champloo in japanese. the gently caress is wrong with you
You can think whatever you like about any other episode, but you'll never convince me that the original audio isn't wholly appropriate and great for this one's subject matter.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Monkeyseesaw posted:

If you're not turned off by subtitles Drug War has a pretty strong Mann vibe.

Ditto. Specifically, Drug War reminds me a lot of modern-day Michael Mann (not 90s Michael Mann). The closest analogue probably being the Miami Vice movie, where you're just thrown into the middle of an operation, no explanations, very minimal characterization, just a procedural focus on the police operation. If that's what you're into, you may like it a lot.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

h3r0n posted:

Recommending Somm while I'm here. You should watch it. Really. I never came close to knowing what it took / takes to be a master sommelier.

Caught this a couple days ago. It's an interesting subject in spite of the execution. To me it reeks of studio notes after being bought -- stock footage that looks better than anything else they shot, lots of map graphics, a shoehorned "days until the competition..."

But apparently the bar for good movies is "watchable all the way through." So it was a good movie.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

b/c all dubs for everything are loving awful and the dialog sound stilted and hideous?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Mustach posted:

You can think whatever you like about any other episode, but you'll never convince me that the original audio isn't wholly appropriate and great for this one's subject matter.

You mean the super sweary racist english the americans speak? They didnt dub that, they still refer to the Japs as savages and poo poo in the english track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Anime talk. Yey

• Locked thread