Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh God the rumors were true.
If X-3 were to be made, it'd invalidate the previous two games if it follows off from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Good god the writing for that audio drama is deplorable and stinks of all the exact same sequel writing flaws SE has done each and every time. Assuming we get a FFX-3 I'm gonna guess the new man is either real Tidus back from dream Zanarkand or its her son.

Is there a summary to the summary? I haven't beaten either game, so it just sounds like gibberish.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The search is over, the successor to Azure_Horizon has been found.

I'm afraid that's what I'm going to become once XV comes out.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 27, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh God the rumors were true.
If X-3 were to be made, it'd invalidate the previous two games if it follows off from this.

Its Squeenix, we were fools for thinking otherwise :smith:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Is there a summary to the summary? I haven't beaten either game, so it just sounds like gibberish.

Don't worry, it sounds like gibberish to those who have played X and X-2.
What the gently caress are you thinking Square-Enix?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wendell posted:

Armor-Piercing might not have popular opinions, but he isn't brain-dead and obnoxious about them like the banned rapist was.

And I agree with him that IIIDS is an enjoyable game.

Yeah, he can be as wrong about FFV as he wants as long as he doesn't fervently defend XIII.

I really liked III DS, but I'm glad I never tried to finish it after reading this thread.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
13 is a fine game. Most Final Fantasies are. Sure, there were lots of really dumb things about it, but that's true of almost any game. I had plenty of fun switching up paradigms and traipsing across the crystarium. The battles were fast paced and it was surprisingly fun having the AI actually make intelligent decisions on my behalf. The hunts were neat too. Despite the wonkiness of weapon upgrading it was kinda fun discovering which materials worked best.

I guess I just don't get bothered enough by some dumb decisions to let it spoil the overall enjoyment for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

crestfallen posted:

13 is a fine game. Most Final Fantasies are. Sure, there were lots of really dumb things about it, but that's true of almost any game. I had plenty of fun switching up paradigms and traipsing across the crystarium. The battles were fast paced and it was surprisingly fun having the AI actually make intelligent decisions on my behalf. The hunts were neat too. Despite the wonkiness of weapon upgrading it was kinda fun discovering which materials worked best.

I guess I just don't get bothered enough by some dumb decisions to let it spoil the overall enjoyment for me.

I think from a presentation standpoint, FFXIII is also a fine game. It's pretty, the music is nice, and like you said, the battles are fast and engaging. I can see how some would be too bothered by the details and design flaws to enjoy the presentation (or taste being subjective, not enjoying the presentation at all). I like it fine.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah, he can be as wrong about FFV as he wants as long as he doesn't fervently defend XIII.

I really liked III DS, but I'm glad I never tried to finish it after reading this thread.
Lightning and Fang are decent and the combat was fun enough, but that's about it for me.

The end of IIIDS can be pretty frustrating. It's a really long dungeon with four separate boss battles before you even get to the final boss, and there aren't any save points. My first time through I died at the final boss and had to do the whole thing over again. I can definitely understand not wanting to go through that.

As far as final dungeons go, though, I thought the one in IV (PSP version) was much worse. Even the random encounters in that were rough, to the point where I just ran from everything on the last few floors. I'm generally not underleveled in these games, and I managed to beat the final boss, but getting to him was more painful than anything I can remember in IIIDS. I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about it though, so maybe I was doing something wrong.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This is what Lightning Toriyama has done to us.

They will not stop. Just watch out for FFV-2 and FFVI-2 coming out soon.

If they make a sequel to FFIX I will be very, very sad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Lightning and Fang are decent and the combat was fun enough, but that's about it for me.

The end of IIIDS can be pretty frustrating. It's a really long dungeon with four separate boss battles before you even get to the final boss, and there aren't any save points. My first time through I died at the final boss and had to do the whole thing over again. I can definitely understand not wanting to go through that.

As far as final dungeons go, though, I thought the one in IV (PSP version) was much worse. Even the random encounters in that were rough, to the point where I just ran from everything on the last few floors. I'm generally not underleveled in these games, and I managed to beat the final boss, but getting to him was more painful than anything I can remember in IIIDS. I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about it though, so maybe I was doing something wrong.

Yeah, I did zero grinding in that game and getting through the final dungeon was a breeze.

I think I had counter and draw attack on Cecil and dualcast and prayer on Rosa, MP 1/2 with Rydia. Hit things with your hitters, cast Titan with Rydia, Prayer with Rosa. Auto-battle makes this setup trivial except for a couple boss level fights.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Are you talking about the DS version though? I don't remember being able to give abilities to characters like that in the PSP version.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
:doh: for some reason I though the PSP version was the same

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've beaten X and X-2 and I have no idea what these spoilers are supposed to mean because they are very poorly phrased, so I do not understand the reaction this is getting.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is what Lightning Toriyama has done to us.

They will not stop. Just watch out for FFV-2 and FFVI-2 coming out soon.

If they make a sequel to FFIX I will be very, very sad.

Isn't V-2 just that anime movie from the 90s?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Isn't V-2 just that anime movie from the 90s?

Yeah, that was a direct sequel to FFV. Mid and Cid got killed offscreen by some douchebag.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I've beaten X and X-2 and I have no idea what these spoilers are supposed to mean because they are very poorly phrased, so I do not understand the reaction this is getting.

"There is a second Death Star" basically.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Basically that the ideas are fanfiction grade - "Sin has come back :supaburn: - I'm Auron's daughter, blah, blah, see FF.Net for more details", and that it seems to imply that SE is looking to revisit X, with the aim of yet another sequel.

They only supped the teat of that particular cash-cow, before they vaulted, head-first, into the FF7 Compilation pigswill.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that was a direct sequel to FFV. Mid and Cid got killed offscreen by some douchebag.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Basically that the ideas are fanfiction grade - "Sin has come back :supaburn: - I'm Auron's daughter, blah, blah, see FF.Net for more details", and that it seems to imply that SE is looking to revisit X, with the aim of yet another sequel.

They only supped the teat of that particular cash-cow, before they vaulted, head-first, into the FF7 Compilation pigswill.

Alright so just milking a cow then? Gotcha.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Seeing as the remakes took longer to make than the original games, they probably want to get some value out of the engine / assets. In before 10-4 sequel and 10-0 as a prequel.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

That, and invalidating any kind of character development Yuna may have had in X-2 by reverting her to her X self.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Krad posted:

That, and invalidating any kind of character development Yuna may have had in X-2 by reverting her to her X self.

Hey, that's not true - for X-3, they've promised to keep her as she was in X-2:

See? Same as she ever was. :downs:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hey, that's not true - for X-3, they've promised to keep her as she was in X-2:

See? Same as she ever was. :downs:

Oh good! I was worried for a mo- HEY!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Is the ATB issue in FFIX best addressed by setting the battle speed all the way up or all the way down?

Dross fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 28, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dross posted:

Is the ATB issue in FFIX best addressed by seting the battle speed all the way up or all the way down?

Crank it all the way up, set it to Wait, and keep one character's turn always on hold so you can open their item menu whenever one of your own attacks are animating (but not the enemies').

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly, that last part is one step in the only way to beat Ozma.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly, that last part is one step in the only way to beat Ozma.

Not... really? Ozma has a unique property that gives it additional turns right before someone's turn.

The way to not give it five turns in a row is to input your attacks during the animation of Ozma's attacks.

Curse is just stupid though because of how short the animation time is, making it really hard to put in four inputs at once.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You do not remember correctly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not... really? Ozma has a unique property that gives it additional turns right before someone's turn.

The way to not give it five turns in a row is to input your attacks during the animation of Ozma's attacks.

Curse is just stupid though because of how short the animation time is, making it really hard to put in four inputs at once.

Derp, you're right. I got the part of what to do when during what wrong. Point is, Ozma is rough.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

Goddamn, maybe you should look in the mirror and re-evaluate your investment in other people's tastes! We all play Final Fantasy here so we're all dumb autistics who love bad games. Every game is the worst in the series, remember?

Ff3 DS is a special breed of terrible. It goes beyond the others and finds itself nestled in with TAY in terms of badness. Ff3 DS has no redeeming qualities.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
III DS is just hilarious because there literally isn't a single good change. Even things like "rebalance the jobs so you don't just upgrade from Warrior to Knight to Ninja" are marred by lovely balancing decisions and the refusal to actually change the job level system. It's incredible when I can say with a straight face that the NES version of a game is superior to its DS remake, but such is FFIII DS.

Hell, I even like the NES version's music more.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What we need to learn from FFIII is that FFV did everything it did, but better. As did FFX-2 and Lightning Returns.*

*Your opinion on the last two may vary.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

FFX-2 did a better job with Kimahri's character than the original game.
...I repeat X-2 did a better job with Lulu than the original game did. FFX-2 is a really good game.

It's funny how true this is for most characters. I was surprised to find I actually liked Wakka in X-2. Even Tidus was bearable, probably because he was in the game for only a minute.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's interesting how the "good" ending seems to undo the personal growth Yuna gets. Apparently we aren't supposed to want her to be independent or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

X-2 probably would be my favorite game in the series if the fanservice crap wasn't in it.
Perhaps because a lot of the game was more based on the world and the troubles characters have in life, it made them more likable than anything X did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

It's interesting how the "good" ending seems to undo the personal growth Yuna gets. Apparently we aren't supposed to want her to be independent or something.

Well, Yuna in FFX was a hyper-idealized Yamato Nadeshiko archetype and ranks highly on Japanese popularity polls because of that so that may in fact be what people want, especially if they're referring to FFX-2 as her 'wild time' or whatever. Dumb as hell, mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually reflected fan desires.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 28, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Yuna in FFX was a hyper-idealized Yamato Nadeshiko archetype and ranks highly on Japanese popularity polls because of that so that may in fact be what people want, especially if they're referring to FFX-2 as her 'wild time' or whatever. Dumb as hell, mind you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually reflected fan desires.

And they wonder why they get such tepid reactions in foreign markets these days...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Defiance Industries posted:

It's not very often the sub-optimal ending is not only more enjoyable, but also more thematically appropriate than the perfect/"true" ending.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

III DS is just hilarious because there literally isn't a single good change.

It's incredible when I can say with a straight face that the NES version of a game is superior to its DS remake, but such is FFIII DS.

Hell, I even like the NES version's music more.

So very right! Jesus, Square. At least XIV is good, only game by them I've liked since the PS2.

I do think the graphics on III DS were cute.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here is footage of Final Fantasy X HD on the Vita: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_wepDq88f8

It's the first couple of hours. The framesrate drops are from uploading to issues with the capture card. The person playing the game said it ran very smooth except for some areas where there are a lot of characters of effects.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's not very often the sub-optimal ending is not only more enjoyable, but also more thematically appropriate than the perfect/"true" ending.

Having played X but not X-2, could you spoil the two endings for me, please? I'm curious what would make a "bad" ending better than the "good" one.

(edit) On a side note, have any games before XIV had you beating the living hell out of some moogles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ciaphas posted:

Having played X but not X-2, could you spoil the two endings for me, please? I'm curious what would make a "bad" ending better than the "good" one.

(edit) On a side note, have any games before XIV had you beating the living hell out of some moogles?

This is an incredibly brief summary, because I don't remember any of the details nor are they important, I guess.

It isn't so much a bad and good ending, but a good and "perfect" ending.

The good ending has Yuna accepting the loss of Tidus, as well as how much the world has changed, and deciding to move on with her life.

The perfect ending requires you to get 100% completion, which has some really stupid requirements attached to it (like listening to old man Micah without interrupting him, and pressing X during a cutscene to hear a whistle noise when no other cutscene has even so much as hinted at asking for such a thing). The fayth basically say to Yuna "we're gonna bring back Tidus because reasons" and he suddenly appears on the beach in Besaid, and Yuna learns nothing.