Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

thespaceinvader posted:

Not officially and the author prefers people not to, but a goon will be along in a sec to explain how to scrape the database and sideload it anyway.

This probably ought to be in the OP if it's not already.

If anyone can help me with this by Monday I'd be super appreciative as it seems really good and I want to upload it to my Kindle before I embark on a big trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I don't advise doing this, and also, the em-dashes got messed up in the copy on my ebook reader.

code:
wget [url]http://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/[/url]  -r -l 1 --convert-links --wait=3 --random-wait --limit-rate=30k
cd parahumans.wordpress.com
find category/ 201* -type f -exec tidy -wrap 0 -utf8 -q -clean -bare --new-blocklevel-tags article,header,hgroup,nav,section,aside,time,footer  "{}" \; > tidy.html
xmllint --html --htmlout --xpath "//div[@class='entry-content']" tidy.html  > worm.html
Edit There's an issue in the SA url filter, so remove the
code:
[url]
bits

cultureulterior fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 28, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I read it through Instapaper, but that only really works if you have network access all of the time. It keeps track of progress and lets you control formatting a little bit. Just keep hitting the "next chapter" link when you get to to the end.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A bunch of proto-Worm stuff is up.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm up to 20.5 and holy gently caress did the Echidna fights frustrate me. It felt like one of those comic fights where Wildcat is somehow in a battle involving cosmic powered people as the standard combatant and he is hit several times and doesn't die. Everyone felt completely anodyne in power. In a really high powered battle it feels like people should be dying left and right. If you don't have a major defensive ability you should probably turn into a fine paste on the ground if you get anywhere near the battle. Legend's lasers felt like flashlights being shone around. They seemed to do nothing except maybe killing a couple of clones which weren't really an issue anyway. This is probably the first time I've felt like this in Worm but it really annoyed me. Superpower fights should be loving brutal and smash anyone who doesn't either perfectly plan their position or isn't able to take a hit that could break a building. Leviathan was like that.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 31, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm pretty sure a lot of people did die against Echidna, but her goal was slightly different to most of the Endbringers, in that she wanted to capture and clone powerful people rather than kill everything.

The proto-worm stuff I read last night in a fit of insomnia; it was good but cut off in weird places unless reading it on my mobile meant I couldn't turn pages or something.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Plus in the echidna fight you didn't have the armbands reeling off lists of casualties

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Wildbow has stated that they are going with Pact. I'me pretty happy with this, for the very shallow reason that I find human body manipulation of the kind in Boil very icky.
A fourth sample for Pact is up as well. It introduces us to a new magical player in the region and sets the stage a little more. Also, some tension between Blake and his female doppelganger is introduced, which could prove to be an interesting source of conflict in the future.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just getting into Wildow. Can someone kind of sum up his deal? Is Pact and stuff related to Worm? I'd really appreciate an author summary and what works are related to each other and what is separate and what it means when you say "they are going with..."

Thanks!

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Pact, Boil, Face, etc are all trial runs for his next writing project. So unrelated other than having the same creator.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Just getting into Wildow. Can someone kind of sum up his deal? Is Pact and stuff related to Worm? I'd really appreciate an author summary and what works are related to each other and what is separate and what it means when you say "they are going with..."

Thanks!

Worm is his main story, at Parahumans.wordpress.com. It is complete as of around a month and a half ago. It is around 1.5 million words long, and awesome. You should read it.

Wildbow.wordpress.com is the author's personal blog, and the area where he has recently been posting some previews of potential new serials to follow Worm, which are entirely unrelated to it. A sequel to Worm is likely (and the final chapters leave plenty of questions unanswered for it), but will not appear until at least one other story has been completed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The bit about Others being gradually killed off by "a process of elimination two thousand and six hundred years in the making" has potentially interesting implications. Zoroastrianism became popular around that time (though it's hard to fix a date for Zoroaster himself) and Pliny the Elder claims Zoroaster invented magic.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The bit about Others being gradually killed off by "a process of elimination two thousand and six hundred years in the making" has potentially interesting implications. Zoroastrianism became popular around that time (though it's hard to fix a date for Zoroaster himself) and Pliny the Elder claims Zoroaster invented magic.

I'm going to assume this is about Pact 4, which I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, it is, but it's only a minor detail, not really spoilers for the chapter at all.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to :getin: on the ground floor of this one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This still feels like an RPG novelization. :-/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does Pact feel more like an RPG novelization than Worm :psyduck:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

How does Pact feel more like an RPG novelization than Worm :psyduck:

It doesn't, but the comic book setting was a lot more interesting than the urban fantasy setting that could have been cut & pasted from any number of recent books.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

It doesn't, but the urban fantasy setting is a lot more interesting than the comic book setting that could have been cut & pasted from any number of recent series.

We get it, you don't like urban fantasy. Go read something else, I guess. Complaining about it is futile and only serves to annoy other people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry but the setting in Worm was objectively more interesting than the setting in Pact.

edit: And also not overdone.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 1, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

withak posted:

Sorry but the setting in Worm was objectively more interesting than the setting in Pact.

edit: And also not overdone.

Yes, no one has ever done a serial story about superheroes before.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Yes, no one has ever done a serial story about superheroes before.

Certainly not compared to "young rebel loner comes into magical inheritance, takes on all comers".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was pretty reluctant to read Worm because it involved superheroes. Then it become one of my favorite pieces of fiction.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Certainly not compared to "young rebel loner comes into magical inheritance, takes on all comers".

Maybe you'll put this unhappiness towards something constructive and find other serials for this thread to read.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I feel like wildbow should get the benefit of the doubt. If I saw the first four chapters of Worm and that was all I probably would've poo poo on that too. The fifth update is where Taylor starts fighting Lung. I definitely did not care at all about the story then. To be honest I only kept reading because I somehow thought it was a short story and I was almost done.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long did it take you to catch on :haw:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I get what withak is saying, but good urban fantasy isn't so easy to come by, especially when the fantasy in the setting is hidden from the world at large. That coupled with the intelligence that Wildbow put into Worm and I think we'll be fine.

Edit: Wait a sec, this is interesting:

quote:

acediamonds

Maggie Holt? As in the Maggie Holt series mentioned several times during Worm?

Does that mean Pact exists in the Wormverse as a book told from Maggie’s perspective or is her name just a joke/reference?

wildbow

Oh, someone noticed. Kudos. :)

Anyone remember what this is referring to?

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 1, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

How long did it take you to catch on :haw:

An embarrassingly long time, like 3-5 arcs. At that point I finally looked at the table of contents and went "oh...poo poo."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What point did you catch up at? I caught up about a month after Eidolon died, I think.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Given how incredibly ubiquitous superhero settings are, and given what Wildbow did with Worm, I'm really not worried by the fact that Pact's setting is a little reminiscent of World of Darkness.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Given how incredibly ubiquitous superhero settings are,

Maybe in comics, but urban fantasy is way more common in actual written books. What other superhero novels are there that are anywhere close as popular as the shelves of UF in bookstores?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

withak posted:

Maybe in comics, but urban fantasy is way more common in actual written books. What other superhero novels are there that are anywhere close as popular as the shelves of UF in bookstores?

Just because something has been done it doesn't mean it has been done by Wildbow and the fact that you seem to have so little faith in Wildbows writting ability is disturbing... I think you need to take a good long look at what makes Worm great and then you'll realize that Pact will be great for the same reasons.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I hate the Superhero genre with a passion, and Worm is one of my favourite things I've ever read. I haven't checked out any of the new series yet, but if Pact has been confirmed, I'll probably start reading it soon.

Saith fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 1, 2014

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tollymain posted:

What point did you catch up at? I caught up about a month after Eidolon died, I think.

In September or so. I don't remember exactly where it was in the story, but somewhere around the oil rig fight with Scion.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Saith posted:

I hate the Superhero genre with a passion, and Worm is one of my favourite things I've ever read. I haven't checked out any of the new series yet, but if Pact has been confirmed, I'll probably start reading it soon.

It has been. We should get a new site for it by the Saturday update.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm glad wildbow decided on Pact, it was by far my favorite. My only run in with world of darkness was vampire the masquerade, and that was cool so if this runs close to that then its all good.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
A thought about familiars: in the first section of Pact, the cat that granny had was (in retrospect) obviously her familiar. In the third section Blake and Rose are told expressly not to choose a dog or a rat as their familiar. Cats do not traditionally get along with either dogs or rats -- I wonder what the in-Universe explanation is for the proscription.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

My guess is that we're going to find out, going by the guy in the dream in Pact 1.

quote:

A man, sitting on a throne, a tall, long-nosed, long-haired dog at his side. The room at the top of the tower was subject to strong winds, and his long hair blew as the dog’s did.

Below, the small village sprawled. Jacob’s Bell. Except things were different. A twisted reflection of the buildings, with embellishments and decorations. Arches, steepled roofs, pointed roofs that curled and bent in zig-zags. All lit up in crimson sunset.

The other visions had been at night.

The dog looked up. “Johannes.”

“Mm,” the man in the throne said. “‘Lo, stranger. Listen, I don’t think you should believe what any of them say about me. If you need help, I can offer it.”

“For a price,” the dog added.

“For a price. Resist the urge to dismiss what you just saw, you’re in a bad enough situation as it stands. Now do yourself a favor and wake up.”

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a turtle, they live for loving ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
See this is the stuff i'm looking forward to figuring out! What do different familiars do? What is the deal with implements? And poo poo like that.

• Locked thread