Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

xzzy posted:

That is a great hike, and is why I finally got a 10-22 because 18 wasn't wide enough. :v:

There was people diving off that boulder on the left when I was there, they be crazy. I could only wade around for a minute or so before I had to get out.
Where is this? I must go there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kisoro, Uganda. The only good shot I ever got out my kit lens. Found this export in my email folders while looking for something else and thought I would share. I need to dig out the RAW and have a crack at processing it properly.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This is an odd case where I wish that picture looked more manufactured. The composition reminds me a lot of landscapes that were crosshatched for print like a hunnert years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mathturbator posted:

Where is this? I must go there

Iceberg lake, over in glacier national park.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

View_from_my_bedroom by usernamedenied, on Flickr

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 23, 2013

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Lots of people were jumping in when I was there, as well. I figured I didn't want to end up as the one guy with the headline "Idiot Tourist Freezes, Drowns After Jumping in Lake Literally Named After Icebergs."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

single-mode fiber posted:

Lots of people were jumping in when I was there, as well. I figured I didn't want to end up as the one guy with the headline "Idiot Tourist Freezes, Drowns After Jumping in Lake Literally Named After Icebergs."

Water at upper grinnell lake was even colder.. I was able to wade around a bit in Iceberg lake, but my feet almost instantly hurt when I stepped into the water at Grinnell. I have no doubts that anyone jumping into that lake would have a very real risk of dying.

There was a bonus though: put your water pack in and it almost instantly gets cold.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

This is an odd case where I wish that picture looked more manufactured. The composition reminds me a lot of landscapes that were crosshatched for print like a hunnert years ago.

Exactly this, weirdly.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

Water at upper grinnell lake was even colder.. I was able to wade around a bit in Iceberg lake, but my feet almost instantly hurt when I stepped into the water at Grinnell. I have no doubts that anyone jumping into that lake would have a very real risk of dying.

There was a bonus though: put your water pack in and it almost instantly gets cold.

Osprey is the best prey.

:)

You know dude, one of these days we are going to have to have a rather candid conversation. You and I seem to haunt the same threads.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

A little bit closer to home than northwest Montana.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
This might be a little over-processed, but I was trying to make a homage to the artwork of the latest Boards of Canada album.

Atlantic City by benruset, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

yep

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
My two lanes of freedom by -wholesome_-

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nice!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sweet, that's way better than all the lovely ones I've tried to do. Not even worth posting here.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Owns.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
good stuff

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sentosa, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Oh, Fujichan! You are such a delicate little flower.

[edit]

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 28, 2013

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013
Had another go at this one, the first time I shot at F1.4 ISO 1600 by moonlight. (a few pages back)

This time went back a little earlier while still lighter, F8 and ISO 100 so looks a bit nicer...

So now I'm happy with how it's looking in technical sense, but want to go back when the next high tide and big westerly swell is rolling in.

Hopefully with some cooperative weather, my third iteration of this pic will be one worth printing on canvas. :)

I usually just go somewhere and see what's there to take a picture of, this is the first time I've had a concept in mind that I'm looking to improve apon... It's a bit frustrating waiting for the conditions to cooperate, when you're used to taking pictures impulsively.

I've been giving some thought to getting a polarizing filter and/or graduated/full ND filters, as both of my 'good' lenses (Samyang 35mm and Sigma 10-20) take a 77mm filter.

It's pretty intimidating seeing the prices though, I wouldnt want to drop a couple hundred dollars on a filter that doesnt suit how I enjoy taking pictures.

Romanv fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 28, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Romanv posted:

Had another go at this one, the first time I shot at F1.4 ISO 1600 by moonlight. (a few pages back)

This time went back a little earlier while still lighter, F8 and ISO 100 so looks a bit nicer...

So now I'm happy with how it's looking in technical sense, but want to go back when the next high tide and big westerly swell is rolling in.

Hopefully with some cooperative weather, my third iteration of this pic will be one worth printing on canvas. :)

I usually just go somewhere and see what's there to take a picture of, this is the first time I've had a concept in mind that I'm looking to improve apon... It's a bit frustrating waiting for the conditions to cooperate, when you're used to taking pictures impulsively.

I've been giving some thought to getting a polarizing filter and/or graduated/full ND filters, as both of my 'good' lenses (Samyang 35mm and Sigma 10-20) take a 77mm filter.

It's pretty intimidating seeing the prices though, I wouldnt want to drop a couple hundred dollars on a filter that doesnt suit how I enjoy taking pictures.

I bought and used a cheap ($50) ND8 filter for sometime. It did the trick and the results where fine for the most part, is a more expensive one better? Probably but it should probably be good enough at least for you to figure out if you want to spend more money on a better filter.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

This is just lovely.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nicely Done.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Not really a landscape but it kind of is...

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Ive seen this peter jackson movie.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
Jebus it's been a long time since I've shot anything, but a trip down Highway 1 in CA will fix that...

[untitled] by skypny, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Smáralind Carpark by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Smáralind by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Smáralind Carpark by fuglsnef, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

onezero posted:

Jebus it's been a long time since I've shot anything, but a trip down Highway 1 in CA will fix that...

Even though I had to spend a night in my car because all the hotels close early, it's another memory I wouldn't trade for the world.

Both of these own. How did you get the stars in the first one? It was dark out there, but I never found a spot that was that dark.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit
To be honest, I was shocked that those stars came out. It's just past solstice, so the sun sets pretty early, before 5pm on the day I took this, but this was only taken about 8pm. No way I thought the Milky Way would pop that soon. I was just north of Morro Bay...snuck down to one of those day use beaches that dot the coast. I wasn't crazy far away, but I guess those towns don't throw much light around.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Hello New Jersey by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Over the River by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Eagle's Nest by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Mitten by -wholesome_-

Cactus by -wholesome_-

Catch a dead dream by -wholesome_-

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 31, 2013

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I've just finished a quick project, photographing while undertaking Rapha's Festive 500 challenge, to cycle 500km between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve 2013 - quite pleased with what I managed while propelling myself through gales, floods and freezing fog! More here.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Not sure if this technically counts as a landscape, considering it was taken in the chimpanzee pen at the Tampa, Florida Busch Gardens.

Chimps by the Waterfall by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Christmas Eve sunset from our beach condo.

Christmas Eve Sunset by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Do these count as landscapes? I see people posting pictures of, like, houses and stuff so it seems like the definition is pretty blurred. Oh well.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Beach day!