Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Hebug posted:

Sounds like you're about to enjoy a Pete's Word.

Trip report: it's delicious! The peat and heather stand up to the chartreuse. This is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Will I lose anything in my milk punch if I use microplaned lemon zest instead of "peeled zest"? I would think that the microplaned zest would cut the bitterness and make it more assertively lemony, which seems like a good thing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
If you're an experienced hand with a nice sharp peeler or pairing knife, you can get pitiless zests a Lott faster than the rasp. That said, the rasp has little margin for error if you're willing to put in the time to get it all done. You should be good either way.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Decided to make a bowl of Glasgow punch for Christmas supper and the most enthusiastic punch guest got caught in stuff elsewhere, two others are now wavering about showing up. This leaves only 2.5 people surely to drink at the meal.

gently caress it, making it, anyway. Worst case, I finish what is left in the bowl when people leave :getin:

E: Picked up a copy of Punch and Kenning is correct, it is an excellent read.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There are few things in life more glorious than a large bowl of well-made punch. It is a delight beyond compare. Please make punch.

Everyone should make punch.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So in my stocking this year I got some wormwood bitters. Since absinthe is rather hard to come by up here in Canadaland I am thinking these would provide the flavour. Any good suggestions?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So in my stocking this year I got some wormwood bitters. Since absinthe is rather hard to come by up here in Canadaland I am thinking these would provide the flavour. Any good suggestions?

The cocktail kingdom bitters? Delish. They were originally intended to be added to pastis to recreate a pseudo-absinthe, so you can start there with Pernod or Ricard. I use it occasionally to add a bitter, woody note to whiskey drinks without adding the additional sugar of absinthe...where in canada? We can probably fix your absinthe lackings.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

The cocktail kingdom bitters? Delish. They were originally intended to be added to pastis to recreate a pseudo-absinthe, so you can start there with Pernod or Ricard. I use it occasionally to add a bitter, woody note to whiskey drinks without adding the additional sugar of absinthe...where in canada? We can probably fix your absinthe lackings.

Actually Dillon's small batch distillers. As to where I live, I'm in Ottawa, so straddling Ontario and Quebec

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually Dillon's small batch distillers. As to where I live, I'm in Ottawa, so straddling Ontario and Quebec

Out of curiosity, what's buying booze that close to the border like?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
1-2 Punch report: I wasn't planning on it, but I made a batch of Admiral Russell as well as the Gowanus Club for my sister's fancy holiday party after they heard me talking about previous punch successes. It was my first time making the Gowanus. It turned out a little dry since I accidentally doubled the chartreuse to 2 oz, but I threw in a little extra delicious pineapple syrup and people still really liked it. The Admiral Russell was a big hit and was the star of the show.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My father and I finished off the Glasgow punch. It is a merry Christmas, indeed :)

It definitely needs to be kept cold. I left a nip out to warm up to see how temp. sensitive it is and it loses it's charm if it warms up. Very refreshing, simple, quaffable, and far more than the sum of its parts, I'd suggest you all try a batch. Also super easy to scale.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Just a note, I decided last night to make a manhattan at family supper using the bitters instead of angustora. It was really really good. So thanks.

Mister Macys posted:

Out of curiosity, what's buying booze that close to the border like?

Simple. If the LCBO doesn't have it, but the SAQ does, I drive across the bridge, hide the booze under a coat, and drive back to Ontario. If I'm holding a party and need cheap beer, I hit quebec costco and get a giant box of beer for cheap.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

My wife somehow managed to get me some Amer Picon, Hibiki 21 and Westvleteren 12 despite there not being an American distributor. I am quite certain that I don't deserve it, but that won't stop me from enjoying it while it lasts.

I've been using Jamie Boudreau's replica recipe for drinks that call for Picon, but I'm excited about trying them with the real thing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
My goal for next month is to make a Vieux Carre, Sazerac, and French 75. If anyone would care to share their preferred brands and proportions for those I'd be much obliged!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I got a bottle of Licor 43 in my stocking. What should I be doing with it?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like Licor 43 or Tuaca on the rocks after dinner now and then. It also makes a decent carajillo and is tasty mixed 1:4 with pineapple juice as a base for an interesting little punch.

E: Also worth trying would be a Brasserie Lebbe, Livorno, or Under the Tartan Sun.

A Livorno with 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, 3/4 ounce of Licor 43 or Tuaca, a couple dashes of Peychaud's bitters, stirred with ice is very good.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So I may be getting a bottle of pear eau-de-vie soon. What should I do with this tasty spirit?

(Probably not a punch, cause it's just me drinking it)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So I may be getting a bottle of pear eau-de-vie soon. What should I do with this tasty spirit?

Pears for your heirs and so on. Try using it for applejack or calvados in a recipe.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

It is great straight after a not too heavy meal. Or the brasserie Lebbe I mentioned above: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/brasserie-lebbe/10506/

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Butch Cassidy posted:

It is great straight after a not too heavy meal. Or the brasserie Lebbe I mentioned above: http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/brasserie-lebbe/10506/

I've always done eau-de-vie as a digestif in exactly this fashion. Sit. Digest. Warm innards with tasty booze.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

rxcowboy posted:

My goal for next month is to make a Vieux Carre, Sazerac, and French 75. If anyone would care to share their preferred brands and proportions for those I'd be much obliged!

drat.. funny timing. I made a French 75 for my wife tonight, and came to post about it. I used Grand Marnier instead of Cointrau, because I *ALWAYS* have Grand Marnier on hand. Most recipes I've seen are 2:1:1, Gin, Lemon, Orange Liqueur. I always use the juice from my lemon to gauge my drinks.. in this case, I had .65 oz lemon juice, so .65 oz Grand Marnier, and about 1.3 oz of Tanqueray.. shaken hard, poured in a flute, topped with some light and refreshing Crémant de Limoux, and it's pretty much magic. Funny thing is, I made a drink called a "Leap Year" for my wife last night, which is the exact same thing, but with some sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica). That was my first time making that, and it was awesome.. A little sweet, a little tart, and lots of complex spiciness from the vermouth. As mentioned before, anything with Carpano Antica is pretty much cheating.

Made myself a solid Whiskey Sour tonight with the other half of lemon from my wifes drink, and some Knob Creek. After the first sip, I remembered I had opened a nice bottle of Pinot Noir a little earlier, so I tried to make it into a "New York Sour". Didn't really float on top at all, but at least it still tasted good!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I'm confused about French 75s. According to my uncle it's equal parts cognac and champagne, but according to everyone else they have Gin and poo poo. What's going on here?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Beardless posted:

I'm confused about French 75s. According to my uncle it's equal parts cognac and champagne, but according to everyone else they have Gin and poo poo. What's going on here?

With cognac I go .5 brandy top bubbles, gin is 1oz, .75 lemon, .5simple, top bubbles. As far as accuracy goes, I wouldn't worry about which is correct. I can pull references for each one being historical,but what is important is what tastes best to you. My first ever was made by an old school bartender in west Philly doing the cognac joint, and Degroff's agrees for a 90's jam, where Wondrich did his homework on the gin version going back to prohibition and calls for (iirc) the gin version above. Really, what tastes good is right for you.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Made a riff on the Ward Eight tonight using the fresh pineapple juice that I had in the fridge. I made it for one of my wife's friends so it's a little sweeter than what I would personally like, but fresh pineapple juice is pretty much awesome no matter what you mix it with so...

Ward 8.5
2 oz bourbon
0.5oz 1:1 simple syrup
0.5oz grenadine
0.75oz lemon juice
0.25oz fresh pineapple juice
shake/strain/rocks glass with cherry

Another popular one was the Royal Hawaiian per Dale Degroff's recipe:

Royal Hawaiian
1.5oz gin
1oz pineapple juice
0.75 orgeat
0.5 lemon
shake/stain/coupe

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

With cognac I go .5 brandy top bubbles, gin is 1oz, .75 lemon, .5simple, top bubbles. As far as accuracy goes, I wouldn't worry about which is correct. I can pull references for each one being historical,but what is important is what tastes best to you. My first ever was made by an old school bartender in west Philly doing the cognac joint, and Degroff's agrees for a 90's jam, where Wondrich did his homework on the gin version going back to prohibition and calls for (iirc) the gin version above. Really, what tastes good is right for you.

My boss tells me he went to Harry's in Paris where it was supposedly invented and he was surprised when the bartender gave him a drink in a highball/Collins glass and asked the bartender why it wasn't in a flute. "Because that's they way my grandfather invented it" is supposedly the answer he got. Sounds fishy to me as to how true all of that is and whether those sources are legit but hey, we make all our french 75's that exact way now and they taste delicious, so I'm not gonna argue.

Beardless posted:

I'm confused about French 75s. According to my uncle it's equal parts cognac and champagne,

:raise:

Equal parts? I know the drinks named after an artillery piece, so maybe this recipe is more fitting

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Guys drinking some weird spirits from around the world and making even stranger cocktails with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU_Q94IM06Q&list=SP6jW7DvI8oH5xqyrxqZSoJPQj0bpqyDbs

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally got my bar sorted out! Well, not entirely, but I'm getting there. Here's what I have now:

Pusser's Rum
Ardbeg 10
Grant's Blended Scotch
Hendrick's (I know I need another gin. Will pick up a bottle of Tanqueray soon.)
Woodford Reserve Bourbon
Rittenhouse Rye 100proof
Cherry Heering
Luxardo Maraschino
Cinzano Sweet Vermouth
Green Chartreuse
Angostura Bitters
Peychaud's Bitters

Made a Last Word the other day. I think my limes must have been super sour or something because it totally overpowered the drink. I got hints of the herbal chartreuse coming through, which was excellent, but overall the lime killed it. I will definitely try again being careful of the lime.

I'd like to make a couple cocktails tonight. Any suggestions?

Also, besides the vermouth, is there anything else I should be keeping in the fridge?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
It's not the lines fault it's because Hendricks is literally the worst gin I could think of for a Last Word. It's over priced and not versatile at all. Redo it with the Tanqueray.

Now someone please help me with cognac. I need a bottle for mixing and the opinions about cognac are slightly confusing at best. What the hell do I buy?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, at mixing-friendly prices is pretty much doesn't matter what you get. VSOP is ideal, but VS will work if you need to budget. Make sure it's actual cognac, and from one of the major houses. I've quite enjoyed Martell, and of course Pierre Ferrand, but Courvoisier, Hennessey, and Remy Martin are all perfectly acceptable. The cheapest you'll find a VS is $20 from somewhere like Cost-Co, and VSOPs are $30+. If you can swing it, expressions of Pierre Ferrand can be had for ~$40 and that is a fine, fine spirit.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

rxcowboy posted:

Now someone please help me with cognac. I need a bottle for mixing and the opinions about cognac are slightly confusing at best. What the hell do I buy?

I like a VS or VSOP for mixing, usually VS if the cognac isn't the main flavor. For something a bit stronger than normal, there's Louis Royer Force 53 VSOP, where the number is referring to the ABV. I used that to blindside folks with a milk punch on xmas.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

rxcowboy posted:

It's not the lines fault it's because Hendricks is literally the worst gin I could think of for a Last Word. It's over priced and not versatile at all. Redo it with the Tanqueray.

The Hendricks was a gift. I don't hate it, but I know you can't mix it in the same things you'd use other gins for. I'll try again with Tanqueray as soon as I pick some up.

I want to make delicious cocktails with Cherry Heering!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you had blood orange, you could make a Blood and Sand. As it is, you might try a Heering sling (gin, Heering, lime, bitters, soda optional).

Also:

Halloween Jack posted:

In the winter, I like to drink Heering neat--if you have it, I find it mixes well with Cointreau, and maybe a little lemon or lime and a dash of bitters, if you're into that.

quote:

1 oz. Heering
1.5 oz. Tuaca
Juice of 1/2 lime
Two dashes Peychaud's

Also, Heering is prety good for adding to any kind of sour.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 30, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

Honestly, at mixing-friendly prices is pretty much doesn't matter what you get. VSOP is ideal, but VS will work if you need to budget. Make sure it's actual cognac, and from one of the major houses. I've quite enjoyed Martell, and of course Pierre Ferrand, but Courvoisier, Hennessey, and Remy Martin are all perfectly acceptable. The cheapest you'll find a VS is $20 from somewhere like Cost-Co, and VSOPs are $30+. If you can swing it, expressions of Pierre Ferrand can be had for ~$40 and that is a fine, fine spirit.

So Remy Martin VSOP would be ok to mix in a Viuex Carre and a brandy based French 75? If so I'll just grab a bottle of that.

tynam
May 14, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

If the recipe specifically calls for cognac, go with Remy Martin VSOP - it makes for some very deep cocktails and won't break the bank. Stuff like Pierre Ferrand is probably too good for cocktails.

If it's interchangeable with brandy, go with E&J VSOP. Cheap as hell and is solid for cocktails. Not as deep in flavor like Remy, but still good.

Or buy both and make sidecars with both. It's not too expensive and it's a good way to see(taste) the differences.

angor posted:

The Hendricks was a gift. I don't hate it, but I know you can't mix it in the same things you'd use other gins for. I'll try again with Tanqueray as soon as I pick some up.

I want to make delicious cocktails with Cherry Heering!

Try different variations on the Last Word. Hendricks and Luxardo should've made it herby as hell, so you might want to try using the cherry heering instead of the luxardo with hendricks. Maybe tone it down a bit in portion too.

I've been trying to replicate the drink I've had from Murray but I can't seem to get a handle on it. I'm pretty sure he messed with the proportions somehow.

rxcowboy posted:

So Remy Martin VSOP would be ok to mix in a Viuex Carre and a brandy based French 75? If so I'll just grab a bottle of that.

I've never had a Vieux Carre, but judging by the ingredients you'd probably want the Remy for it. So many clashing ingredients that you'd hope to taste some cognac in that cacophony of flavors.

Same with French 75, definitely use a cognac for it if you're not making it with gin.

tynam fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 30, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

rxcowboy posted:

Absolutely.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

angor posted:

I'd like to make a couple cocktails tonight. Any suggestions?

First, make a classic Manhattan: 3 Ritten/3.5 Cinz/1 Marnier if you have it/5 or so hefty dashes of Angustora -> stir (with ice, obv), strain into martini glass.
A twist of lemon to garnish is acceptable. Orange you can get away with, but shouldn't. Don't put god drat cherries in it.

(Halve the above if you are a lady, not a heavy drinker or hate Freedom.)

Then make another 5. They are loving delicious.

Next, champagne at midnight. It's traditional. But if you want to keep up the theme, an Old Cuban: 1.5 rum/1 s.syrup/0.75 lime/healthy pinch of mint leaves/2 dashes Angostura -> shake, strain, coupe, top with 2-3oz of champagne. I always make these with Appleton, though, so do them Pussers to taste.

Finally, three fingers of Ardbeg with one cube of ice for post midnight reflections on life, love and the meaning of life.

I'd say an Old Fashioned is an acceptable pre-bed alternative, but a) you are probably ryed out and b) it's NYE. But if you insist, make it the proper way: put a cube of raw sugar in a rocks glass, soak in 2 dashes of Angustora, add a tiny splash of spring water, muddle a bit, 2 oz of rye, add either one bigass cube or a couple small cubes of ice, twist a lemon peel over the top and drink like A Real Man.

if anyone suggests you need half wheels of orange, flaming twists, cherries or carbonated water, tell them that Don Draper would punch them in the face.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 31, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made an Aviation for the lady and an old fashioned (with the Rittenhouse 100) for myself. Both loving excellent!

angor fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Hendricks (Citadelle works too), a couple drops of Angostura, and Tonic make a nice, winter G&T.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrosephofArimathea posted:

First, make a classic Manhattan: 3 Ritten/3.5 Cinz/1 Marnier if you have it/5 or so hefty dashes of Angustora -> stir (with ice, obv), strain into martini glass.
Your old Cuban spec is borked but where in the ever loving gently caress did you come up with this manhattan? It's very vermouth forward and six point five ounces. Three spirit and four with dilution is a challenge for the unseasoned, this is the equivalent of giving someone a swirlie when they ask for sparkling water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

It is also very good neat. And makes a dandy Sazerac.