Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I can't reason you out of a position you didn't reason yourself into.

I've been here 12 years and I don't need your directions, cool? Cool.

You're the stupid bitch who demanded more than you were willing or able to share and you're the one who doesn't know where you are.

cool thanks

i just hear the twilight zone music whenever you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

i just hear the twilight zone music whenever you post
Well then consider yourself sad, because every time I see this stupid poo poo:

...I hear the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and it amuses me.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well then consider yourself sad, because every time I see this stupid poo poo:

...I hear the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and it amuses me.

every time you post we all hear is a bag of sausages slapping at goop-covered crusty keys

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

holy poo poo this dude is the worst. i'm just going to pretend he doesn't exist now. sorry everyone. check out this weird guitar

Bolek
May 1, 2003

that tone stick makes all the difference i hear

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bunky posted:

holy poo poo this dude is the worst. i'm just going to pretend he doesn't exist now. sorry everyone. check out this weird guitar

why is it fuzzy / hairy? i probably dont even want to know

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

What do you mean? There are three tracks, and they are all extremely different. The first is literally some practice jazz-fusion backup track for people to jam over, to develop their ears and learn how to play over difficult chord progressions. It's an exercise, not a song. Would I listen to it? Well, I do, because I am pleased with what I played over it; but otherwise, no, I wouldn't. It's just a study aid.

The second track was just a proof-of-concept testing some recording gear. But it's clearly a texas blues, and if you'd like to hear the original, just google "Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood" and you'll see it's a gorgeous 12-bar blues in G about a guy who's cut off from his girl by bad weather and he's down about it. I love that tune. I love the blues.

The third track is one of those 90's guitar-hero instrumentals played by three dudes who can't quite remember how it goes (me and two old bandmates). The original is very pretty, google "Joe Satriani Memories." I don't dig much of Satch's stuff, but that one stands out for me. That style of music was really big for awhile, then it faded away to a core (aging) audience represented by yours truly. You'll understand, someday, when the music of your youth makes people cringe and insult you. It's just part of growing up.

To sum up, I'm a guitarist. I listen to a lot of guitar players. But I also love a lot of other stuff which I won't mention because no matter what I say it'll just get mocked.

Wait I just want to make fun of this for one more sec. I find this reply confusing. I am a fan of jazz, I study it a bit, even. This cornball thrashing has nothing to do with even the most fringe of jazz.

I also love blues, as does almost anyone, seeing as it's a foundational form for most contemporary music. This cheese-dick noodling has nothing to do with blues, outside of 80s movies where the band is looking for a guitarist then they find one and boy can he thrash like there's no tomorrow and sure he has problems but we can deal with them and everyone is improved by course of the experience (soundtrack by Steve Vai*)

Also, these tracks are NOT extremely different. They all sound like an HBO Real Sex special about dudes having autistic masturbatory relations with their ugly guitars.

And, yes, that is the thread, so let's get back to it:

Dec 26, 2012

owns

Dec 26, 2012

if he doesnt fill his concert venues with water and surf out at the end of the set then my dreams are going to be crushed

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haha dumbass that surfboard has a big rear end hole in it he'd sink

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
srspost the ugliest guitars are strat knockoffs that use different headstocks because fender is somewhat justifiably a total oval office about trade dress infringement

even $3000 boutique corksniffer assholes who market solely to steve vai fans make headstocks that look like mutilated penises

aestheticallly there's no difference between that thing and this $200 piece of poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 28, 2013

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thats a woody

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait I just want to make fun of this for one more sec. I find this reply confusing. I am a fan of jazz, I study it a bit, even. This cornball thrashing has nothing to do with even the most fringe of jazz.

I also love blues, as does almost anyone, seeing as it's a foundational form for most contemporary music. This cheese-dick noodling has nothing to do with blues, outside of 80s movies where the band is looking for a guitarist then they find one and boy can he thrash like there's no tomorrow and sure he has problems but we can deal with them and everyone is improved by course of the experience (soundtrack by Steve Vai*)

Also, these tracks are NOT extremely different. They all sound like an HBO Real Sex special about dudes having autistic masturbatory relations with their ugly guitars.

And, yes, that is the thread, so let's get back to it:

Of course you want to make fun of it, what else do you have to do? It's easy to judge when you can't actually play. Sour grapes.

You study jazz a bit? Jazz-fusion is a broad genre, and this was only a primer for practice; but you're bold enough to disparage it. What courage you possess! I must only imagine what you could do with that backing track, since you'll never have the courage to play something over it and share it with a hostile audience as I have here.

You love blues, this is my favorite part; but Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan is a mystery to you, so much that you confuse it with the movie Crossroads. Yes, your love of the blues is clearly evident. So much so that you can't tell the difference between it and Memories or the Caprice from the movie Crossroads.

I suggest to you that your ears are fundamentally broken and you should remain silent on all issues with respect to music, especially that music which is played on electric guitars, ugly or otherwise.

I say this as a friend.

Your opinion of what guitars are pretty or ugly are, of course, your own to make.

P.S. - YouTube "Robben Ford".

P.P.S. - Just for the record, which of you guitar connoisseurs are about to step up and say SRV is a lovely hack? Which of you want to go on record against Robben Ford or Ty Tabor or Eric Johnson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U SRV - Texas Flood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_cY9-3o40 SRV - I Ain't Gone n' Give Up On Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTlUCluxvc King's X at Woodstock '94 - Over My Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDudtQkdkd8 King's X at Woodstock '94 - Black Flag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k Robben Ford and the Blue Line- Politician (93)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU Robben Ford and the Blue Line - Worried Life Blues (93)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYSPFmSn7dI Eric Johnson - Desert rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiq-P86PDMg Eric Johnson - Trademark - 2006

VVV Should use the past-tense, since he's dead.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 28, 2013

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
SRV is a lovely hack.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks for asking. I don't want to get into it because it will start a bunch more poo poo.

Basically, there was a thread where we were talking about money and game consoles and stuff, and I posted some pics of my guitars for reasons that made sense in that thread. Then I got dogpiled and of course as soon as the UGLY GUITARS thread popped up, the first two pages contained those same pictures, posted by those same people; and I actually saw it coming before I even clicked on page one.

Let's not bother with it, because I am interested in remaining earnest and honest no matter how much it bothers some GBS posters; but I don't want to constantly war with people because the Internet Makes You Stupid.

PM me if you really care, but why would you?

i care doc. check your pms tia

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Of course you want to make fun of it, what else do you have to do? It's easy to judge when you can't actually play. Sour grapes.

You study jazz a bit? Jazz-fusion is a broad genre, and this was only a primer for practice; but you're bold enough to disparage it. What courage you possess! I must only imagine what you could do with that backing track, since you'll never have the courage to play something over it and share it with a hostile audience as I have here.

You love blues, this is my favorite part; but Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan is a mystery to you, so much that you confuse it with the movie Crossroads. Yes, your love of the blues is clearly evident. So much so that you can't tell the difference between it and Memories or the Caprice from the movie Crossroads.

I suggest to you that your ears are fundamentally broken and you should remain silent on all issues with respect to music, especially that music which is played on electric guitars, ugly or otherwise.

I say this as a friend.

Your opinion of what guitars are pretty or ugly are, of course, your own to make.

P.P.S. - Just for the record, which of you guitar connoisseurs are about to step up and say SRV is a lovely hack? Which of you want to go on record against Robben Ford or Ty Tabor or Eric Johnson?

:eyepop:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You left out the best parts.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

You left out the best parts.

no that was definitively the best part :golfclap:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Booo.
I disagree.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

I say this as a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U SRV - Texas Flood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_cY9-3o40 SRV - I Ain't Gone n' Give Up On Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTlUCluxvc King's X at Woodstock '94 - Over My Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDudtQkdkd8 King's X at Woodstock '94 - Black Flag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkeYT62T1k Robben Ford and the Blue Line- Politician (93)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XontsTA2zaU Robben Ford and the Blue Line - Worried Life Blues (93)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYSPFmSn7dI Eric Johnson - Desert rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiq-P86PDMg Eric Johnson - Trademark - 2006

why are you doing this faustus

please stop

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

As played by Ronny Rodent of The Hungry Rats.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

culdesac posted:

please stop
Say it like you mean it, culdesac.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH
Look at this stupid guitar. uhhh pretty sure it's supposed to have 6 strings, guy

nice guitar pick too, idoit hahaha

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Salt Fish posted:

Glorious soviet guitar:

No wonder they lost the loving war, jesus.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

culdesac posted:

please stop
I'll put it in terms you understand.

You and your bitter buddies leave me out of your stupid GBS threads, just don't mention me or reference me with pics or quotations.

I'll go lurk my usual places and I won't be back.

Let's make a deal. I don't want to see you any more than you want to see me.

Box of Trial
Sep 4, 2003

TONKA HYAH

Dr. Faustus posted:

You and your bitter buddies leave me out of your stupid GBS threads, just don't mention me or reference me with pics or quotations.

have you ever heard of the streisand effect?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

SearchForDelicious posted:

i care doc. check your pms tia

Don't touch the poop.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Then again, I like the way it squishes between my toes.

The FBI profiler called. They want those missing children back.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 28, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Dr. Faustus posted:

dude

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, because if I say "SRV was a lovely hack" that would imply that he got better.

godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Your guitar looks stupid.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Dr. Faustus posted:

:ironicat:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Box of Trial posted:

have you ever heard of the streisand effect?
I read Popehat, so yeah I am aware of that phenomenon. There's this thing, though...

You go on singling me out, and I'll go on posting in your threads. I know how much you love that, since I became "he whom shall not be named."

See how that works?

Of course you don't, because you're a stupid shithead.

Have it your way.

homeless snail posted:

Your guitar looks stupid.

Go gently caress yourself, you know nothing.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

come play with us, faustus. forever and ever

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I read Popehat, so yeah I am aware of that phenomenon. There's this thing, though...

You go on singling me out, and I'll go on posting in your threads. I know how much you love that, since I became "he whom shall not be named."

See how that works?

Have it your way.

you are a smart dude who knows what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Dr. Faustus posted:

See how that works?

Have it your way.

are you really threatening to post in gbs 2.1? im literally shaking

• Locked thread