Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just don't think Flash should be that fast. Not at first, at least. Like...make him fast but not, y'know, fast fast. Have his powers ramp up over the course of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
One of these days I'd like to see altered physics for anyone at superspeed. Like, a 160 lb dude moving at the speed of a 9 mm has the momentum of a 95,000 kg locomotive rolling along at about 10" per second. Someone with that much momentum wouldn't be running; they would be a ballistic mass with arms and legs, altering trajectory by tearing off street signs and destroying sidewalks. It'd be like that bit in Hancock with the exploding bench, everytime.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deadpool posted:

Listen up because this is a momentous occasion. This is one of the few times you will ever see me post about something I liked in Smallvile. But at the end of this scene they show what Clark's speed looks like from the point of view of another person who will not be named. And I love the way they did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmTwFQ--Z_s&t=169s

He pretty much just disappears because she can't see him move that fast. So there you have it. Very simple effect that is literally the cheapest thing you can do. But it was one moment where I thought they did something really well even if it was incredibly simple. One of those rare moments in Smallville I actually liked. There's also the scene where he beats up a bunch of guys that has a strobe effect that's nice. But I like this one more.

This is EXACTLY what I think would be perfect for Flash, even a bit of wind hits Cloe's hair.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

This is EXACTLY what I think would be perfect for Flash, even a bit of wind hits Cloe's hair.

That looked horrible... what the hell are you guys on? I guess the lovely dialogue leading up to the "effect" seemed to make it worse, but still. That was pretty bad.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Arrow made the list of top pirated shows of 2013!

Hooray?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Game-Thrones-Most-Pirated-Show-1075032.aspx

10th, with 2.2 million downloads. It doesn't say which episode, but probably the finale for last season.

Good chance Australia is a significant cause of that. Season 1 was way behind the US, and I don't think season 2 has even started airing here yet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

That looked horrible... what the hell are you guys on? I guess the lovely dialogue leading up to the "effect" seemed to make it worse, but still. That was pretty bad.

The general gist of it it sounds like they like, though. But yeah, that seemed more like an effects workprint more than a final bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Accretionist posted:

One of these days I'd like to see altered physics for anyone at superspeed. Like, a 160 lb dude moving at the speed of a 9 mm has the momentum of a 95,000 kg locomotive rolling along at about 10" per second. Someone with that much momentum wouldn't be running; they would be a ballistic mass with arms and legs, altering trajectory by tearing off street signs and destroying sidewalks. It'd be like that bit in Hancock with the exploding bench, everytime.

That would be awesome and you know it. You know what, give us a Hancock tv series where the lead is a drunk who fucks around with his powers and may or may not save the day.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deadpool posted:

A guy on another show said he wanted to play Nightwing on this one. That was the extent of it.

It was the really disgusting jug-eared guy from Girls. I'd rather see Lena Dunham play Power Girl, than him as Nightwing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

Yes they have to check. And they said they'd been denied a very few characters before.

There were all kinds of rumors about Flash possibly being in the Man of Steel sequel. If it turns out to be true, then that should answer the question once and for all.

Maybe they can retcon him into man of steel and we can pretend thousands did't die because Flash was giving Supes a thumbs up when he'd cleared a building to punch Zod through.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

quote:

Accretionist posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That would be awesome and you know it. You know what, give us a Hancock tv series where the lead is a drunk who fucks around with his powers and may or may not save the day.

I love the idea but you're thinking so goddamned small.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 28, 2013

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SirDan3k posted:

Maybe they can retcon him into man of steel and we can pretend thousands did't die because Flash was giving Supes a thumbs up when he'd cleared a building to punch Zod through.

I know this is probably not the case, but suddenly I need this to be what happened.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

jscolon2.0 posted:

It was the really disgusting jug-eared guy from Girls. I'd rather see Lena Dunham play Power Girl, than him as Nightwing.

You're mixing up your rumours (hard to blame considering how many ridiculous rumours there have been for Superman/Batman, Arrow and the Flash) but the Arrow related Nightwing thing was Steven McQueen tweeting a picture of himself working out with a nightwing symbol on his singlet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

compared to the other way they showed Clark getting around in that show the jump cut is way superior. I think a massive gust of wind and a trail of light in the direction he went would be better than a plain jump cut though, so he literally flashes in and out of scenes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

compared to the other way they showed Clark getting around in that show the jump cut is way superior. I think a massive gust of wind and a trail of light in the direction he went would be better than a plain jump cut though, so he literally flashes in and out of scenes.

They're probably going to go for a bit of both in the Flash show. Slow-mo bullet time for scenes from Barry's perspective, along with 'whoosh he's gone' in scenes from other character's perspectives.

Am I alone in thinking the Foara-vs-soldiers fight scene from MoS would be the loving perfect way to do a Flash scene? Obviously not the super-strength stuff but the way they utilized the superspeed effect there was just jaw-dropping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK7_FsJE7Q

Might be a nice effect if he literally leaves a TRON-like red trail/afterimage when he zooms off.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 28, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Am I alone in thinking the Foara-vs-soldiers fight scene from MoS would be the loving perfect way to do a Flash scene? Obviously not the super-strength stuff but the way they utilized the superspeed effect there was just jaw-dropping.

Might be a nice effect if he literally leaves a TRON-like red trail/afterimage when he zooms off.

Clearly you aren't.
:hfive:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

WarLocke posted:

They're probably going to go for a bit of both in the Flash show. Slow-mo bullet time for scenes from Barry's perspective, along with 'whoosh he's gone' in scenes from other character's perspectives.

Faora-Ul was loving awesome, and if they could do something similar for the Flash show I would just die.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keeku posted:

Good chance Australia is a significant cause of that. Season 1 was way behind the US, and I don't think season 2 has even started airing here yet.

<--- Aussie, we tend to be a nation of downloaders for such reasons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the Smallville "instant disappearance" approach could work, but it needs to look a lot more dynamic. In animation we talk about things like anticipation and "slow in, slow out," which basically means you can't just suddenly shift into a dramatic action without some kind of build-up and follow through.

Just having an actor turn around like he's gonna walk casually out the door and then suddenly be gone in a single frame is a really bad visual principle which is why everyone's saying it looks like an unfinished print. You gotta make him look like he's actually prepping for superspeed, like maybe he goes into a slight crouch or rears forward a little, something like that, and then disappear. And maybe have his body be a slight blur the instant before he moves so quickly he can't be seen that just, well, blurs out. And when he blurs back into visibility have him come to a stopping motion like he just finished running. The way that the guy moves in this video is pretty close to what I'm thinking of; just imagine him blurring into invisibility when he gets going.

Even if the Flash (or Superman) can really, instantaneously moves so fast it looks like he goes from barely walking into totally invisible in a single frame, animation principles still suggest that you should never do it that way because, well, it looks bad.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Keeku posted:

Definitely, I wasn't willing to wait. If Channel 9 doesn't respect its viewers enough to show stuff on time, then they lose me as a viewer - and it's not like I ever watch ads, I record everything I watch so I can watch on a delay and skip ads.

I justify it by always purchasing the DVD of the season when it comes out.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

At the risk of defending Smallville, I really liked how they portrayed the Flash's speed in the first episode he appeared in. I haven't seen it in years, but I liked that they made him faster than Superman.

I think The Flash loses a lot of what makes him awesome if Superman is "The best ever at everything, always".

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think The Flash loses a lot of what makes him awesome if Superman is "The best ever at everything, always".

Good thing Flash has always been faster than Supes in the comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I think the Smallville "instant disappearance" approach could work, but it needs to look a lot more dynamic. In animation we talk about things like anticipation and "slow in, slow out," which basically means you can't just suddenly shift into a dramatic action without some kind of build-up and follow through.

Just having an actor turn around like he's gonna walk casually out the door and then suddenly be gone in a single frame is a really bad visual principle which is why everyone's saying it looks like an unfinished print. You gotta make him look like he's actually prepping for superspeed, like maybe he goes into a slight crouch or rears forward a little, something like that, and then disappear. And maybe have his body be a slight blur the instant before he moves so quickly he can't be seen that just, well, blurs out. And when he blurs back into visibility have him come to a stopping motion like he just finished running. The way that the guy moves in this video is pretty close to what I'm thinking of; just imagine him blurring into invisibility when he gets going.

Even if the Flash (or Superman) can really, instantaneously moves so fast it looks like he goes from barely walking into totally invisible in a single frame, animation principles still suggest that you should never do it that way because, well, it looks bad.

The Flash usually has little lightning wisps to indicate he's going at super speed.

So maybe they could just put that little effect on him for a second before he takes off.

Krad posted:

Good thing Flash has always been faster than Supes in the comics.

Well, not Jay and (for a while) Wally.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aphrodite posted:

Well, not Jay and (for a while) Wally.
Reeeeally??? That's super lame, Flash should always be faster than Superman, even if he only wins a race by the skin on his nose. Just slightly faster. It adds something by making supes not the ultimate, like he has to make tactical choices wether to race to a crime himself or call on Flash to get thre first and calm things down until he arrives. I just like teamwork between my one man armies :3

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wally had a mental block. He thought if he outran Barry he'd have truly replaced him. He got over it.

Jay I remembered wrong. He's a metahuman so unlike the others he's fast even without the speed force. Without it (it disappeared as part of a storyline) he could only do 800mph or so which Superman beats easy enough. With it, he can do near light speed. He's a bit slower in current continuity than other Flashes because of his age, but he used to be able to time travel and stuff like everyone else.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 28, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All this talk of superheroes and time travel really reminded me just how fuckin' pissed off I'd been with the first two superman movies. gently caress you you lazy rear end writers time traveling away all that fuckin' poo poo at the end of the movies.

The first movie, fine, whatever it was cool, but the second movie too? Twice in a god damned row? TO make her FORGET you? Bah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hey guys, everyone should go put Arrow at the top of their list in this year's TVIV poll. And then list other shows you watch like POI or something I dunno, do I have to think of everything?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

The first movie, fine, whatever it was cool, but the second movie too? Twice in a god damned row? TO make her FORGET you? Bah.

No, in Superman II he gave Lois an amnesia kiss, he didn't turn back time.

I'm not saying the amnesia kiss wasn't retarded, but it wasn't time travel.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Phylodox posted:

No, in Superman II he gave Lois an amnesia kiss, he didn't turn back time.

I'm not saying the amnesia kiss wasn't retarded, but it wasn't time travel.

In the director's cut he turns back time again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, why the hell wouldn't you watch the Donner Cut, you heathen?

And, seriously?!? What the heck is an amnesia kiss? Did he give her brain damage or something after sucking out the O2 in her blood?

CHristopher Reeve Superman has super-EVERYTHING. He's a super roofie.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Drifter posted:

And, seriously?!? What the heck is an amnesia kiss? Did he give her brain damage or something after sucking out the O2 in her blood?

I'm going with brain damage. Specifically, intersecting beams of radiation over her hippocampus.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

The kiss just distracts her during the laser lobotomy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I haven't watched a Donner Superman movie since the 90s. I'm more of a Batman kind of guy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The wierdest thing about the Super-Roofie is that Bryan Singer thought it was such a good plot point that he used it as the basis for Superman Returns.

Goddamn, Superman should not be that hard of a character to get right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Superman is absolutely a character that's easy to write badly. There's literally no functional limit or consistency to his powers. Half the time a missile will knock him flat on his rear end, the other half he can shift the Earth's orbit without breaking a sweat. For someone without a supremely good handle on the character, it becomes either "Superman punches his problems away" or "Superman is just so lonely and misunderstood, you guys". Neither extreme are very good storytelling.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Superman is absolutely a character that's easy to write badly. There's literally no functional limit or consistency to his powers. Half the time a missile will knock him flat on his rear end, the other half he can shift the Earth's orbit without breaking a sweat. For someone without a supremely good handle on the character, it becomes either "Superman punches his problems away" or "Superman is just so lonely and misunderstood, you guys". Neither extreme are very good storytelling.

It's why heroes such as Batman or the Punisher are more interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

It's why heroes such as Batman or the Punisher are more interesting (than a poorly written Superman).

You should qualify that because you're wrong if you don't. It also works either way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's far more bad Punisher comics than good ones. Probably 10 to 1.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

etalian posted:

It's why heroes such as Batman or the Punisher are more interesting.

They're not more interesting, it's just easier to make them interesting (though a lot of times they're written kind of shoddily, too). The thing about Batman and the Punisher is that they're just human. Flawed, crazy humans, but human for all that. Superman is basically a god. How do you write an interesting god without making him either a capricious dick or a maudlin sad-sack? Even the Timm/Dini cartoon version came off as kind of a prick pretty often. The trick to Superman isn't his powers, which are basically so unlimited as to be dull. Whatever challenge Superman faces, he's got a power for it (or he'll discover a new one (then promptly forget it)). Neither is the interesting thing how lonely and outcast having godlike power makes him (which, I think, is a large part of why Superman Returns failed). The interesting thing about Superman, to me, at least, is that for all his godlike power he's even more human than Batman and the Punisher. It's his simple, small-town American upbringing that represents his real strength. He's driven by kindness, compassion, and justice. Donner and Reeve did a good job of it. They really sold him as a genuinely good guy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

The interesting thing about Superman, to me, at least, is that for all his godlike power he's even more human than Batman and the Punisher. It's his simple, small-town American upbringing that represents his real strength. He's driven by kindness, compassion, and justice. Donner and Reeve did a good job of it. They really sold him as a genuinely good guy.

Except when he turned evil into a big loving prick. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

Except when he turned evil into a big loving prick. :argh:

Well, that was because of kryptonite and it was awesome.

• Locked thread