Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Party Alarm posted:

It depends on the car. Most 135i's running higher boost will have staggered setups - a combination of limited front room and needing to get a lot of torque to the ground

I run 245s/265s on mine, the M3 front control arms give you enough negative camber with Apex Arc 8 wheels to run it without rubbing.

edit:

Binge posted:

its a good start for what I'm interested in. I'd love to get any suggestions that's not more than like $1000.

I really like my Arc 8s, they are a bit more than $1k though. http://www.apexraceparts.com/3-Series-BMW-E902_c_19.html

doogle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, staggered is dumb. I had 245/225 staggereds on the E36, and my two nays:

--can't rotate
--find an idiot tire shop, tell them to put new 225's on the front,and they put 225's on your rears instead and you get to scream at them for VWing the poo poo out of your Proper German Car

My 550i had staggered rims for summers and regular 245 18s for the winter. It wasn't huge difference, but it was definitely noticeable.

It works great if your going to be putting down over 300 lbs of torque in a light-ish car.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, I guess it's got a lot to do with your power/weight. I guess my main complaint was that the E36 felt too planted in the rear end sometimes. And right now the 5's stock, its balance is perfect to me and it feels just right with 235's all around.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Binge posted:

So with all that said, anyone want to suggest a set of black wheels? My e90 is Titanium Silver, and I'm trying to subtly and tastefully add as much black "trim" as possible. Black and white badges, black shadowline trim, tinted windows and the kidney grills. Everything is matte black, not a fan of glossy black. For example, I do like this Sparco, its a good start for what I'm interested in. I'd love to get any suggestions that's not more than like $1000.

I like the Forgestar F14 18" in either gunmetal or matte black for around $1400. I will be springing for some for the E90 I just got after the original lovely runflats are finally dead. Want to go 8.5 inch rims/245/18 all around.

The Avant Garde M359 are nice too....heavier but cheaper.

Modbargains and other enthusiast places can also do tire/balancing packages as well just call them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 28, 2013

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So the post catalytic O2 sensors are throwing a code on my E36 M, the car doesn't seem to behave or drive any different (it happened while I was out yesterday). Googling seems to only pull up pre-cat sensors and the only post-cat sensor chat I can find says that it really doesn't affect anything other than letting you know that the gases aren't coming out at the right temp or something. Does anyone have a direction they could point me in to solve this?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The post cat sensors just monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converter and won't do more than throw a CEL when they go.

They do wear out just like any o2 sensor though and you should probably replace it. No rush though unless the light bugs you or you need to pass emissions.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Beautiful, that's the reply I was looking for! I'll order some up and get them replaced. It'll be my first time replacing an o2 sensor and it looks like I'll want one of those special sockets too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you have a 22mm ratcheting wrench, it's actually easier than the socket.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, I guess it's got a lot to do with your power/weight. I guess my main complaint was that the E36 felt too planted in the rear end sometimes. And right now the 5's stock, its balance is perfect to me and it feels just right with 235's all around.

That's a combination of two things: the staggered fitment, plus the E36 just being underpowered for it's weight. ZHP E46s came with staggered fitment from the factory, and I can assure you they will slide the rear end out very willingly (well, as far as the DSC will let it, assuming you don't turn if off) if you mash the throttle during a turn. Now if only they came with an LSD...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

:eng99:

E:

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, I guess it's got a lot to do with your power/weight. I guess my main complaint was that the E36 felt too planted in the rear end sometimes.

My main complaint with my wagon currently. Replacing the fcabs has made it much easier to get to the limit but I've still never broken loose with dsc on /not in the rain.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 28, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I just checked under my oil cap and found a delightful coffee colored film on the underside, telling me that I have somehow hosed up changing the valve cover gasket a couple months ago and now have coolant in my system. How hosed am I here? The oil on the dipstick is still dark at least. I'm thinking of just taking it in to have a professional take a look, poor as I am...

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

The Third Man posted:

I just checked under my oil cap and found a delightful coffee colored film on the underside, telling me that I have somehow hosed up changing the valve cover gasket a couple months ago and now have coolant in my system. How hosed am I here? The oil on the dipstick is still dark at least. I'm thinking of just taking it in to have a professional take a look, poor as I am...

Does it look anything like the brown mayo/goo in this thread? Because if it is dark in the dipstick and just brown on the cap I'm inclined to think it's the normal brown goo we get in the winter months from the engine not getting fully up to operating temps for very long. Did you check your coolant as well/what did it look like?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Just put the first set of new tires on my 2006 325ci since it came off the dealer's lot. The PO never changed them and I guess I've been stingy for the past two years. Went with the new Conti PureContacts that just came out this month; it's like driving an entirely different vehicle! Can't wait to see how she feels once I replace the RTABs and FCABs.

Also paid my 5 year note off 3 years ahead of schedule. Feels good man :unsmith:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Viper_3000 posted:

Does it look anything like the brown mayo/goo in this thread? Because if it is dark in the dipstick and just brown on the cap I'm inclined to think it's the normal brown goo we get in the winter months from the engine not getting fully up to operating temps for very long. Did you check your coolant as well/what did it look like?

It's not horrible like those pictures, but it's light enough to make me think it's coolant. I'm used to seeing the brown sludge in the cold it this was lighter than that. I decided to check because I caught a few light spots on the raised humps of the dipsticks plastic end piece, but the oil in the sump itself was dark.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is it spring yet? :(

Installed the CAI from AFE this week, of course I couldn't take it out for a drive but it still starts so there's that.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 29, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SuperDucky posted:

My main complaint with my wagon currently. Replacing the fcabs has made it much easier to get to the limit but I've still never broken loose with dsc on /not in the rain.
This is why running sticky tires on the street is ridiculous - the limits of traction are so high it's boring to drive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If i mash the go pedal on my 265 wide summers, it still creates a lot of smoke, and 2 skinny black lines.

If it's raining, i can do it from 30.

But i'm told it's not fun to do, because i have recirculating ball steering, and an automatic transmission which means my car isn't an actual driving machine.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Powershift posted:

If i mash the go pedal on my 265 wide summers, it still creates a lot of smoke, and 2 skinny black lines.

But i'm told it's not fun to do, because i have recirculating ball steering, and an automatic transmission which means my car isn't an actual driving machine.

Playing elevenses in a no-fun car sure is no fun at all.

:getin:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is there a big difference on the model years for the Z4M coupes? Most I can see is aux in was standard on 07+ models.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Third Man posted:

It's not horrible like those pictures, but it's light enough to make me think it's coolant. I'm used to seeing the brown sludge in the cold it this was lighter than that. I decided to check because I caught a few light spots on the raised humps of the dipsticks plastic end piece, but the oil in the sump itself was dark.

Are you taking it on long drives and getting the engine good and hot when you do? It's highly likely that's condensation and not actual coolant contamination, especially if the oil in the crankcase seems normal.

If you're really concerned, do an oil change and send a sample of the old stuff to Blackstone, and get one of those exhaust gas tester setups for your coolant.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The all-seasons that came with my E36 325is are gonna need replacing come spring and I'd like to switch to a summer tire/winter tire setup (figure I'll get more fun in the summer and more safety in the winter this way- correct me if I'm wrong) for the future.

My initial plan was to put the summers on the original rims (15 x 7" BBS mesh) and get a set of steelies for winter but searching Tirerack seems to show that they either don't stock or plain don't make dedicated summer tires that would fit.

So now I guess my options are:

1 (probably cheaper)- Get some solid all-seasons that'll give me good summer performance on the original rims and some steelies with proper winter tires for next year (driving in even the tiniest dusting of snow is still a joke with these all-seasons, but I fortunately don't have to drive much right now).

2 (probably more expensive)- Get some bigger rims (like maybe, say, some 17" DS1 E36 M3 wheels) and pop summer tires on those and put some winter tires on the original rims.

Which is the better choice here? It's a stock 325is so I don't have any :rice: pretensions (though I am thinking about chipping it in the future :haw:) but I have a ton of fun driving it and I'd like to get the best experience out of it for a sensible amount of money. Any good tire suggestions to go with either option would also be hugely appreciated.

Also: The M235i is gonna be available in :fap:Estoril Blue:fap:, for anyone who still isn't convinced that this is the second coming of the E46 M3 coupe.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So now I guess my options are:

1 (probably cheaper)- Get some solid all-seasons that'll give me good summer performance on the original rims and some steelies with proper winter tires for next year (driving in even the tiniest dusting of snow is still a joke with these all-seasons, but I fortunately don't have to drive much right now).

2 (probably more expensive)- Get some bigger rims (like maybe, say, some 17" DS1 E36 M3 wheels) and pop summer tires on those and put some winter tires on the original rims.

Which is the better choice here? It's a stock 325is so I don't have any :rice: pretensions (though I am thinking about chipping it in the future :haw:) but I have a ton of fun driving it and I'd like to get the best experience out of it for a sensible amount of money. Any good tire suggestions to go with either option would also be hugely appreciated.

I would pick up a set of 16" rims from another e36 with the sport package or a Z3 in a style you like. You should be able to find them for fairly cheap locally. That puts you at 225/50/16, which is much easier to find a summer tire for. As far as summer tires go, Continental Extremecontact DW are good, Hankook Vetnus V12 I've heard is an ok budget option, and Michelin Pilot SS is the gold standard of summer tires. It's mostly about preference/price at that point.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Your a horrible person and I hope your recirculating ball steering plummets you into a school bus full of nuns with puppies for the orphanage.

*Off to enjoy the thrill of my V8 powered machine, even though the current M3 is powered by a V8......

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

the current M3 is powered by a V8......

No, the current M3 is a four door sedan with a twin-turbo six. Your statement is a couple weeks late.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/mseries/m3sedan/2014/keep_informed/technical_data/index.html

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Adding to to the staggered chat, I threw a square set of General Arctic M/S 225s on my E36 and the decrease in traction in the dry has been an absolute hoot.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Which is the better choice here?
Like Viper said, the Z3 is a good choice for donor, square, non-M e36 setups. A friend of mine grabbed some off a 99 and they look really good and its a combo that's not seen alot like putting DS1s on a standard e36, if that's your thing.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also: The M235i is gonna be available in :fap:Estoril Blue:fap:, for anyone who still isn't convinced that this is the second coming of the E46 M3 coupe.
unghhhhh yes

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

Is there a big difference on the model years for the Z4M coupes? Most I can see is aux in was standard on 07+ models.

As far as I'm aware, there weren't any major changes for the entire Z4 coupe run. The coupe was introduced with the 1st gen Z4 refresh in 2006. The AUX port was added in '07, like you said, possibly with some other tweaks that I'm not aware of. And 2008 was the last model run, so not a lot of time to introduce changes.

I have an '07 3.0si coupe and I know there's a few M coupe owners here as well, if you've got any other questions.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ColdPie posted:

As far as I'm aware, there weren't any major changes for the entire Z4 coupe run. The coupe was introduced with the 1st gen Z4 refresh in 2006. The AUX port was added in '07, like you said, possibly with some other tweaks that I'm not aware of. And 2008 was the last model run, so not a lot of time to introduce changes.

I have an '07 3.0si coupe and I know there's a few M coupe owners here as well, if you've got any other questions.

I'm one of the Z4MC owners here ('06 Z4M Coupe) and from what I can tell from the FSM there are no significant differences from '06-'08.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Got bit by the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM. E90 overheated on the way to Madison today. Waiting for a tow this very moment. I got off the road pretty much immediately after the warning came up, so I hope I avoided any real damage. Where do I start trying to find the problem? I noticed the heater stopped working properly a few minutes before the warning came on if that makes a difference.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Funzo posted:

Got bit by the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM. E90 overheated on the way to Madison today. Waiting for a tow this very moment. I got off the road pretty much immediately after the warning came up, so I hope I avoided any real damage. Where do I start trying to find the problem? I noticed the heater stopped working properly a few minutes before the warning came on if that makes a difference.

My bet is the electric water pump. They have a tendency to fail around 100k miles.. as long as you got off the road right away and killed the motor, you should be safe from engine damage.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Funzo posted:

So I guess you picking me up from the airport is a no?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you taking it on long drives and getting the engine good and hot when you do? It's highly likely that's condensation and not actual coolant contamination, especially if the oil in the crankcase seems normal.

If you're really concerned, do an oil change and send a sample of the old stuff to Blackstone, and get one of those exhaust gas tester setups for your coolant.

I used to have this all the time when I worked 10 minutes from home. Now I have a 25-30 minute drive and its stopped.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My bet is the electric water pump. They have a tendency to fail around 100k miles.. as long as you got off the road right away and killed the motor, you should be safe from engine damage.

Finally got it home. No visibile leaks, nothing exploded or anything. Guess it's time to shop around for a new water pump.

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

Cojawfee posted:

They turn yellowish because the lights drop from 12 volts to I think 10 volts when the regular lights come on. The only way to deal with this is to get LEDs that are designed to deal with the voltage drop. Unless there's a way to code it out.

You can code them to be 100% on all the time, I did for mine.

Bovril Delight posted:

Not really. They are all post rod bearing recall and all get the mk IV nav unit.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm going to assume you have never owned an E46 M3 if you think that EPS turbo hunk of junk has anything in common with it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Christ what is it with E46 owners and snobbery lately

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

rscott posted:

It's the BMW cycle. Whatever car is 10 years old from the date we're at right now is in fact, the best car BMW has ever made.

This was true about both the e36 and the e30.

Although, as an e46 owner I think they are a pretty good balance of technology/comfort/performance without the needless electronic stuff in the new models. But I also think that about the e36.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

rscott posted:

It's hardly snobbery to want BMW to continue building their famous NA motors. I'm sure the speed is there but then it's just another turbocharged car, there's nothing terribly special about it. I knew once BMW announced they were going to turbocharging that there would eventually be a schism in the BMW community, just as there is in the Porsche community, where people value what the aircooleds brought to the table over the increasingly complex and numbed-out feel of the later cars.

That's not to say there won't be snobbery associated with it, but it isn't without merit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pretty much go turbo or go home with a lot of brands these days. When you can swap out an N/A six cylinder for a turbo four cylinder that makes the same power but gets better gas mileage

TheStig
Jan 3, 2009

Just need to mount the guns on the car....

rscott posted:

It's not snobbery. The E46 M3 didn't even have Estoril Blue as a stock color. The car shared 7% of its component parts with the standard lineup. Hell, even the unibody was seam welded differently that the normal car.

There is a fundamental difference of focus between the 2002 to E gen cars when compared to the F gen cars. I personally went from wanting 1 of everything they made in 2001 to wanting nothing that they make in 2014. That's a remarkable change of course in such a short time span.

Cojawfee posted:

It's pretty much go turbo or go home with a lot of brands these days. When you can swap out an N/A six cylinder for a turbo four cylinder that makes the same power but gets better gas mileage

Everything is being sacrificed at the altar of MPG. Manual transmissions, steering feel, NA engines, and so on.

TheStig fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

Although, as an e46 owner I think they are a pretty good balance of technology/comfort/performance without the needless electronic stuff in the new models. But I also think that about the e36.

The difference is, the E46 has more power and the ability to fit much wider rubber than the E36, plus the chassis itself is much more rigid, without really gaining any weight over the '36 (depending on options). Combine that with how crippled the E36 M3 was in North America and it just doesn't make sense to get an E36 unless you just plain can't afford a newer car.

The E36 just makes me sad because there's no reason they had to be stuck with less power than the E46 - Toyota of all people had a naturally aspirated straight six making comparable power to the M54B30 in 1993 and they passed EPA standards with it and sold it in the US just fine back then.

The E36 is ok, but BMW of all people could have, and should have done better, especially for the massive North American market.

The turbo snobbery I don't get though - the most famous 'classic' BMW model was the 2002 Tii - a turbocharged model.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 29, 2013